Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yes, old slabs sides is much easier to carry concealed than most, who haven't tried it, tend to believe. Like others have said, this is due to its flatness against the body. That makes for both comfort and concealability. The length of the butt is the only factor impeding concealment under an untucked shirt, but the Officer sized frames addressed that. A nice combo is the Officer sized frame and the Commander sized barrel/slide.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Is it okay for us old guys to just keep using open sights on a handgun we shoot well with, and trained with?

Just askin'.... grin
Exactly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Wrapids is a Liberal POS, none of this should surprise anyone. Liberals are only interested in themselves they have no interest in anyone else. Probably a good thing as they would just get in the way of real men taking care of business.

Here's one of his more colorful mentions.

Originally Posted by Wrapids
[bleep] trump, all that needs be said

You're right Mac, You should carry what you're good with not how well it goes with your outfit.

First of all, liberals like Wrapids should just FOAD and stay there. Don't bother sticking your head out on this board because you're not wanted here. Get a clue. Morons like you are not our brothers and you are not Patriots. So get that out of your mind that anyone on this board is your brother, you fugking commie puke.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Those are good guns but in keeping with what Mackay is trying to convey, you need to ask if you can really fight with it.

In all likelihood that answer is no.

The 365XMacros on the other hand are a real beast. Full grip frame, excellent capacity, slimmer profile than a standard double stack and an abbreviated slide. The shorter slide is especially useful if you appendix carry. the reduced sight radius is not much of a factor these days because most everyone is running a dot.

When you reduce the size of your grip frame you're reducing the amount of contact you have with any pistol. This makes you shoot it less effectively than you would a full size. Regardless of skill level.

They also induce all sorts of problems with your draw from concealment. Think trying to grab two fingers instead of somebody's forearm/wrist. The same applies to reloads. Small (short) grip frames suck.

I could be wrong but I don't think I'm overstepping when I say these are some of the points Mackay is making when he says a "gun I can fight with."

Sumbeetch...................that's a great post.

Didn't think ya had it in ya.

And you're 100% right on the barrel length relative to appendix carry, which is my preferred routine method; 4.25 - 4.5" is the absolute longest that I can carry appendix style & be comfortable sitting for a fairly long time.

Anyone that says that they can shoot smaller guns than bigger guns of similar models (withing reason, size wise) is fooling themselves.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hookeye
I like my P365.
Yeah its not as small as others.

Double stack and accurate.
Consider it a minimum these days.

Standard model, the short grip frame actually works well for me.
Didnt know if it would, normally dont like em.
Maybe the width helped?

Have full size HK too. But summer is 365 time.

What do you mean when you say the short grip works for you?

Man, I wish people would stop talking about "summer carry". Stop being a fugking wimp and carry something you can fight with, and win. Geez o Pete. Strap a Glock 17 to your hip and go ye therefore!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I mostly agree with the OP but situations, gender, age and size play some role. A woman carrying a gun, almost any reliable gun to prevent a sexual assault against a man that may be unarmed or armed with just a knife and relying solely on being stronger than her is different than the reasons a healthy man would carry.

I’m 6’3” and still reasonably young and fit. I’m unlikely to be involved in a justifiable shooting against an unarmed lone individual. In the unlikely scenario that I needed to use a gun it’s likely going to be against an armed with a gun individual, or individuals as the OP described and in that circumstance I want a decent sized gun with mag capacity.

A woman, young lady or whomever can choose to pack whatever is most appropriate for them. That point may have been lost. Having a gun that you can use and fight with is the point.

My oldest daughter, when she was not yet an adult started packing a 9mm Shield (gen 1 version). This was due to some events, as well as the fact that the local LE were completely apathetic in their response to a specific incident.

She was already a trained revolver shooter,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

so getting her tuned up on a semi auto was not too tough. I told her that she was to protect herself as necessary and I would handle the rest.

In the case of the Lewiston shootings, even having just one female with a little Shield, or P365, or some other compact 9mm or .38 Special, and effectively employing it by putting at least one round into the guts or chest of the bad guy could have altered the whole course of the events.

He may not have died immediately from taking the hit to the guts or chest or wherever, but it may have made him decide that he did not want to do anything else.

One person can make a difference if they are willing to fight back.

Both courage and fear are contagious and I have seen both in action. You can have one person panic and start running, and the next thing you know everyone is panicking and doing the same. Courage works the same way.

People are generally just looking for direction. A leader. Once they see someone take charge and go after the enemy/a bad guy (or whatever the objective is) they too will become bold, all of the sudden, they are not as scared anymore and they will decide to take action as well.

So pack a gun, practice with it, develop your skill sets and be able to protect those you love and care for. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

Amen Brudda.

I have 4 kids (and 4 grandkids so far) and tell them you can be a victim if you want, but that is not a good option. Work on skills, I'll help. And I do.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The 365 is a good little gun. Shoots well, especially when paired with the extended 12 round mags that allow you to get a full grip (at least for me). Also easy to conceal, as long as you don’t try to stuff it in a pocket. IWB, appendix or otherwise is the way to go with the 365 imo.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I like my P365.

Maybe the width helped?

Man, I wish people would stop talking about "summer carry". Stop being a fugking wimp and carry something you can fight with, and win. Geez o Pete. Strap a Glock 17 to your hip and go ye therefore!

Agreed. That [bleep] kills me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What's the Fire's opinion of the Sig P365?

Those are good guns but in keeping with what Mackay is trying to convey, you need to ask if you can really fight with it.

The 365XMacros on the other hand are a real beast. Full grip frame, excellent capacity, slimmer profile than a standard double stack and an abbreviated slide. The shorter slide is especially useful if you appendix carry. the reduced sight radius is not much of a factor these days because most everyone is running a dot.

When you reduce the size of your grip frame you're reducing the amount of contact you have with any pistol. This makes you shoot it less effectively than you would a full size. Regardless of skill level.

They also induce all sorts of problems with your draw from concealment. Think trying to grab two fingers instead of somebody's forearm/wrist. The same applies to reloads. Small (short) grip frames suck.

I could be wrong but I don't think I'm overstepping when I say these are some of the points Mackay is making when he says a "gun I can fight with."

Thank You

I appreciate an informed reply.

It looks like the P365 has the same drawbacks as my EC9 and is fatter. I pocket carry, principally due to reaching limitations. It's lower and much easier for me to access, accordingly. GD I hate old age. The EC9 is in the right pocket and extra magazine in the left. The smaller grip frame doesn't lend itself to accuracy for sure, but in my present circumstance it is actually easier for me to grab. It has to do with some fingers not opening when I tell them. The thumb, index, and middle fingers are still online just fine, so the smaller frame isn't a factor for me.

The EC's black sights are a bitch to acquire fast, and they need some paint. What's your suggestion?

Paint? Anything is better than black. I like white, but..... getcha a three color option site paint kit from amazon and figger it out for yassef.

Since its halloween time period, I bought a number of Halloween paint kits from WalMart on clearance some years ago. These are the luminous ones that "light up in the dark". Work great, if you can disregard the goulish packaging...... IIRC they were only a few cents on the dollar at the time.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, reminds me of what my Dad would have said, "I resemble that remark".
Your dad borrowed that from Curley Howard of The Three Stooges.

Naw, Curly stole it from my Dad.....

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What’s interesting is that there seems to be a notion that something like a 642 or 43 is something not worthy of fighting with.

Proficiency comes with lots of rounds fired down range. I like my 642 pocket gun. I take it everywhere. I have others that I sometimes carry. A 2 3/4” 69, a commander sized 9mm Rabge Officer. If I was choosing to get into a gun fight, would I bring the 642? No. I’d bring a rifle.

Of course, a snubby or a mini SA wil be slower to shoot, accurately. It will kick more and hold fewer rounds. But, beating able to produce the firearm and hit your target quickly is what matters. You can hit things at grocery store aisle distances with a small gun, if you practice enough.

Of course Mackay always drives home great points with lots of knowledge and wisdom to back them up. But I think the take home here should be to shoot your damn gun. Get out and shoot. And keep it handy. And, that goes for all of your guns. Keep them well maintained, fed and hot, as best you can.

I’ve been loading and bulking up my reserves of 38 special reloads. I think I’ll go burn some out of that pocket rocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
What’s interesting is that there seems to be a notion that something like a 642 or 43 is something not worthy of fighting with.

Proficiency comes with lots of rounds fired down range. I like my 642 pocket gun. I take it everywhere. I have others that I sometimes carry. A 2 3/4” 69, a commander sized 9mm Rabge Officer. If I was choosing to get into a gun fight, would I bring the 642? No. I’d bring a rifle.

Of course, a snubby or a mini SA wil be slower to shoot, accurately. It will kick more and hold fewer rounds. But, beating able to produce the firearm and hit your target quickly is what matters. You can hit things at grocery store aisle distances with a small gun, if you practice enough.

Of course Mackay always drives home great points with lots of knowledge and wisdom to back them up. But I think the take home here should be to shoot your damn gun. Get out and shoot. And keep it handy. And, that goes for all of your guns. Keep them well maintained, fed and hot, as best you can.

I’ve been loading and bulking up my reserves of 38 special reloads. I think I’ll go burn some out of that pocket rocket.

I carried my Mdl 37 for a while, but the hammer was like a fish hook, caught everything. A 642 would be nice to carry, but they're slow to re-load.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Thank You

It looks like the P365 has the same drawbacks as my EC9 and is fatter. I pocket carry, principally due to reaching limitations. It's lower and much easier for me to access, accordingly. GD I hate old age. The EC9 is in the right pocket and extra magazine in the left. The smaller grip frame doesn't lend itself to accuracy for sure, but in my present circumstance it is actually easier for me to grab. It has to do with some fingers not opening when I tell them. The thumb, index, and middle fingers are still online just fine, so the smaller frame isn't a factor for me.

The EC's black sights are a bitch to acquire fast, and they need some paint. What's your suggestion?

Paint? Anything is better than black. I like white, but..... getcha a three color option site paint kit from amazon and figger it out for yassef.

Since its halloween time period, I bought a number of Halloween paint kits from WalMart on clearance some years ago. These are the luminous ones that "light up in the dark". Work great, if you can disregard the goulish packaging...... IIRC they were only a few cents on the dollar at the time.

I would not carry a handgun that requires paint on the sights.

There are just too many good options available out there.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The definition of "fight" obviously means different things to different people.

Most should probably start with cardio anyhow......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thank You

What would they be for $250-$300? Anything much higher is no longer an option.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Thank You

What would they be for $250-$300? Anything much higher is no longer an option.

I believe the EC9 has sights milled into the slide.

I'd try to buy or trade into something 365, 43X, or bigger.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Fighting with a handgun implies things like bounding/advancing/pressing, fire & maneuver, topping off, etc.

You might be able to do those things with your 642 but there's no way you're doing it effectively. And I say that as somebody that loves J-frames and LCRs and I shoot them very well.

Revolvers are not slow to reload.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by goalie
The definition of "fight" obviously means different things to different people.

Most should probably start with cardio anyhow......

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by ldholton
several years back I had a Glock 30 and a Kahr CW 45 . if I took my time concentrated on the trigger and took careful aim I would shoot tiger groups on paper with the Kahr. but if I picked up at speed off of table or going to draw for speed I would shoot the Glock much better.. Kahr left Glock got carried daily.

Sounds like my brother, talks to me about what to get....then gets a Kimber SAO leave the hammer down on an empty chamber, with the safety on lol

I don't want a safety, don't want and empty chamber ,,,,,,,,, draw bang bang.

Kinda hard to leave the safety on with the hammer down on a 1911. Or am I missing something?
[img][/img]

"Kimber Micro 9 design advantages is a single action trigger with the kind of short, smooth pull that ensures accuracy and builds confidence. The thumb safety, slide release and magazine release are pure 1911 as well."
Only read posts that agree with your POV???

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I like my P365.

Maybe the width helped?

It makes me cringe.

Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,854
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.