Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Best way to get/send funds without PayPal?

I'm done with PayPal.

Have a scope I'd like to list but have never used the classifieds here.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to do a check and you are the seller, just tell them in the add that it won’t ship until check clears….. or you could request a postal money order, or there is Zelle which is offered by most banks now….. Venmo is another popular one……

Best thing to do is , be alert, look for red flags….. low post count….. weird writing styles , etc. if you’re real worried, talk to them in person on the phone.

The whole deal requires a little faith in humanity

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had good luck with plain old checks. Most here have no problem accepting them and I make it a point to say I can wait while the check clears. And what hard way says.

Last edited by Mike_S; 11/01/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hardway
If you want to do a check and you are the seller, just tell them in the add that it won’t ship until check clears…..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easy peasy…..

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
USPS M/O are tough to beat. I hate PayPal too but it makes buying and selling fast and easy.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Checks, bank checks, or zelle is how I roll.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I have had good luck with plain old checks. Most here have no problem accepting them and I make it a point to say I can wait while the check clears. And what hard way says.

I have sold a thing or two on the Classifieds and a personal check is by far my favorite. I have never had a bad one (knock on wood) and my bank has told me many times that a USPS MO is the most commonly counterfeited or fake payments they see. They will "cash" a check for me but USPS MO's must be Deposited.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Personal check item held till clears

Buy once, cry once.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 160user

I have sold a thing or two on the Classifieds and a personal check is by far my favorite. I have never had a bad one (knock on wood) and my bank has told me many times that a USPS MO is the most commonly counterfeited or fake payments they see. They will "cash" a check for me but USPS MO's must be Deposited.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
USPS M/O are tough to beat. I hate PayPal too but it makes buying and selling fast and easy.

That's how I do it. Been using paypal for over 20 years. I don't like them, but they are a pretty secure form of payment. If guys don't want to deal with checks, there is always USPS money orders.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve sold and bought here many times with usps money orders. Never have and never will use PayPal. I’ve lost some sales to guys that insisted on using PayPal.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Not entirely true. If your bank won’t cash a Postal Money Order, that is their policy. The USPS MO is probably the best transfer of funds as you can verify the check instantly. If they are forged, you can tell with a single call to check the MO and it’s origin…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate paypal as well but some members will only buy through PP, I usually ask for USPS Money order or personal check and offer PP as last resort.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JeffP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought you could put the numbers into a verification site and confirm that it was legitimately purchased. Can thieves somehow counterfeit the correct numbers also?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am not going to make anyone go stand in line at the PO and spend an extra couple of bucks but to get a MO. There have been things I would like to have bought but if the seller requires a USPS MO I just walk away. The PO is 15 miles away, I hate standing in line and I often have other things going on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by JeffP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought you could put the numbers into a verification site and confirm that it was legitimately purchased. Can thieves somehow counterfeit the correct numbers also?

The verification "code" is simply the zip code where the MO was purchased along with a serial number. The way I understand it, the S# is "active" while in the mail and prior to being cashed. The number is recycled so that my $20 MO becomes a new MO for $500 or whatever. It gets cashed and by the time mine comes in the mail, it is worthless. That is just my understanding of how the crooks are using them.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had great luck selling stuff on the classifieds even bought a few things. and never have had an issue..

I generally prefer postal money orders and I usually just go to the Post office and cash things. I do take personal checks if it's been discussed from people that seem like they're straight up. even had more than one occasion people just wrap up cash and send to me..
many times I've already shipped items before I received the money which I know one of these days I'll probably get burnt but it seems like a good thing makes people happy getting items early.. good reputations are earned not given...

Last edited by ldholton; 11/01/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have bought twice off the classifieds. Both times I told the sellers I'd send a personal check and asked that they not ship until the check cleared.

I have sold on on the fire once. I told the buyer to inspect it and send me a check if satisfied.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last and only time I ever used paypal some malaysian scumball charged $500+ worth of stupid azz Pokemon cards to the account.

What a goatfouck

Screw ebay and paypal

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never any problems the few times I've traded
here on the classifieds
As far as I know, none of the members here
I've sold things to had a problem. If they did,
they kept it private.
Personally, I won't mess with any money transfer
services. A check or USPSMO has done the job
for the few things I've done

Good Luck with the sale

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 17,744 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,869
Posts18,537,838
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.