Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It took me long enough to decide between 3 rifles which one would be my riding companion in the UTV.

I held tryouts for each rifle, each one in the beginning I thought would be the perfect shooting partner only to find something that made me say, next.

Here’s the three rifles and the ‘why’ on two of them I decided against using.

Number 1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had this Tikka CTR rechambered/barreled from a 6.5 Creedmoor into a 6.5x47 Lapua. Shaen did the work for me. Like any shooting iron Shaen puts his mitts on, it became an incredibly accurate and slick feeding tool.

I was stoked at having a 6.5x47L chambering - thinking it would be perfect for my shooting needs on the property for mainly drilling coyotes, deer, and other small, furry, nuisances.

For me, the 6.5x47L is still my #1 choice for what my needs are. Unfortunately, even after taking all the shims out of the Tikka stock. It still doesn’t fit me. I’ve had this same problem with other Tikka CTR’s that I’ve owned being too long of a pull for me. I should have slammed it into different furniture and been done. I still might do this in the future.

Number 2

This 7WSM got itself a new Bartlein tube, again, courtesy of Mr. Shaen. Now, with a new barrel, it’s a precision shooting rifle. This rifle started out as an old, semi custom build from Gunwerks, back in the early years before Gunwerks became a boutique shop making ‘Shooting Systems’ for 12k or more.

While it’s a superb hunting rifle, with a no nonsense Howa action, fluted bolt and sitting in a Bansner stock making it light. I didn’t want a 7WSM for what I’d be using it for (over-kill) I am, however, going to take it elk hunting this year and let her eat into some Wapiti’s hide.

Number 3 and the winner for being my daily ride along buddy.

I had this rifle sitting in the back of my safe. It’s a GA Precision build that I traded into several years ago. It would see daylight every couple of years to remind me that the range performance from this 6.5 Creedmoor was excellent.

Nothing really special about this rifle. It’s got an older Mack Bros. receiver, not the Ti action. Proof CF barrel, Thunder Beast brake, H-S Precision detachable magazine that slipped into the bottom BDL cut.

The H-S magazine assembly isn’t great for extending bullets way out, but using boxed, Horn 143gr Eld-x ammo, it works great. Trigger is a TT Primary. All of it stuffed into a slightly heavy, but solid Grayboe Terrain stock.

The scope was another trade I made several years ago. Sig Sauer Whiskey5 3-15x44 with lights. The limited dialing I’ve done with this scope has been good. Time may tell how it holds up after daily rough riding.

No frills, on this one. It’s already got a few ‘sorry’s’ on it from the past couple of weeks riding bitch. More Oopsies will happen.
Oh, well,,,It’s a truck gun.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dam , I hate to see a firearm riding muzzle down , espeacially if it’s going to be bounced about
Set the MFer in a somewhat secure spot , muzzle up
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 11/03/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Good choice. That's one helluva truck gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Truck Gun? These seem way to fancy. How bout a battered level or bolt action that someone had once bubba'd, then had the wrinkles ironed out of....but not the rust flecks?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brother Beav, I applaud your endeavor for the perfect truck gun. It's a very important and over looked category.

Your truck guns are pretty fancy by truck gun standards but I like them all.

Being a gun whore that should come as no surprise.... smile

I too am perusing the perfect truck/atv gun... I have two so far, the #1 is a very modest Stevens 200 aka Salvage in 7/08 with a dependable Weaver 3-9

My newest creation is another Salvage 10 action in a chassis with a 16.5" 6.5 Creed barrel, 10 round AiCS magazine, Sig 3.5-10X42 BDX scope, folding stock!

I am thinking the 6.5 Cred with the bdx scope will be great fun ranging things with the Sig bino's and then blasting it...

Busy hunting, otherwise I would throw out some pic's.... maybe I can find time? fun thread

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another truck gun I have been slummin , is a whole different category... a Rossi 44 mag stainless trapper 16" barrel, more of a non hunting season truck gun....
Hell, then we have truck pistols... more fun.. wink the sickness never ends... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Dam , I hate to see a firearm riding muzzle down , espeacially if it’s going to be bounced about
Kenneth

Negative!

You prefer a bullet to the face vs. a hole in the floorboard? Muzzle always down in a rig, unless a passenger has their hands on the rifle to control it. And, I still prefer the muzzle down, even then.

PSA. My right hand is always on the rifle when rolling.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Brother Beav, I applaud your endeavor for the perfect truck gun. It's a very important and over looked category.

Your truck guns are pretty fancy by truck gun standards but I like them all.

Being a gun whore that should come as no surprise.... smile

I too am perusing the perfect truck/atv gun... I have two so far, the #1 is a very modest Stevens 200 aka Salvage in 7/08 with a dependable Weaver 3-9

My newest creation is another Salvage 10 action in a chassis with a 16.5" 6.5 Creed barrel, 10 round AiCS magazine, Sig 3.5-10X42 BDX scope, folding stock!

I am thinking the 6.5 Cred with the bdx scope will be great fun ranging things with the Sig bino's and then blasting it...

Busy hunting, otherwise I would throw out some pic's.... maybe I can find time? fun thread

Bro, good luck with your hunt.

We’ll chat more about the perfect truck gun when you’re back and drinking good booze.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Kenneth

Negative!

You prefer a bullet to the face vs. a hole in the floorboard? Muzzle always down in a rig, unless a passenger has their hands on the rifle to control it. And, I still prefer the muzzle down, even then.

PSA. My right hand is always on the rifle when rolling.

🦫

yup, muzzle down everytime, when you reach to grab the rifle, it's always pointing away from ya ugly, can fix a hole in the truck but not the one in the melon

that's what the muzzle brake is for....... to ride the floor & protect the crown (& spot your hits, lol)

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Truck Gun? These seem way to fancy. How bout a battered level or bolt action that someone had once bubba'd, then had the wrinkles ironed out of....but not the rust flecks?

Aah yes, a true truck gun that lives under the seats. Along with a set of tire chains, quart of Delo 100 motor oil and 3 used condoms.

Lol

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
#1 .. at least for my hunting around here.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've not Hushed a Loudener,since earlier today. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Taped muzzles on the floor,ONLY. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’d not be guessing to say, most dudes don’t sway towards turning up the volume on their rifles with a brake. I’m more than a smidge deef from lack of using hearing protection in the old days, so they don’t bother me.

Agreements on muzzles down should be almost universal. Unless you’re rolling with a butt down gun rest.

Otherwise your pan is lacking a brain.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not wearing hearing protection,DISTINCTLY saved my Life three times in the Woods. I oft wonder,how many guys were killed FOR wearing same?!? Hint.

Happiness is chopping the LOUD,out of a Loudener. Hint............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Not wearing hearing protection,DISTINCTLY saved my Life three times in the Woods. I oft wonder,how many guys were killed FOR wearing same?!? Hint.

You could spend a few week scouring the roadside for pop cans to buy your first Quietner.

It's what all the big boys stick on the muzzle of their truck gun.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My truck/Jeep rifle is a Ruger American ranch rifle in 7.62x39mm, uses mini 30 magazines, has a Leupold 2x7 scope ,has a large bolt knob, a mini 30 flash hider and is practical, accurate and shoots every type of ammo even steel cased Russian .

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick

my small cartridge rifles don't have brakes either, my truck gun is a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM, it has saved my hide on a griz charge and saved my moose hunt this fall because it was in the back seat of my truck when I needed it most, a 300 RUM has never needed a muzzle brake and anything below it certainly has zero need for it

but when you're shooting 338 cal 285 gr bullets with 105 gr of RL 33 or a 360 gr 375 cal bullet with 175 gr of 50 BMG, a nice brake helps prevent migraines & nosebleeds, aaaand ya can spot hits, lol !

Imagine mounting a gunboot on your 4 Wheeler upside down because some dork wanted to haul his rifle muzzle up, lmao !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Imagine mounting a gunboot on your 4 Wheeler upside down because some dork wanted to haul his rifle muzzle up, lmao !

I think we know a guy.

Lol

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There was a time,when I Lived/Breathed Boomers,but Technology has more than changed that. I literally shot my 378 Wby to pieces and to Weatherby's credit,they TOTALLY rebuilt it gratis. New bolt,stock,trigger and barrel. Upon receiving same,I tripped it and never looked back. Hint.

I built a rather Skookum 338 Ultra,that was a DEDICATED companion,for many moons. Bullets changed and it couldn't keep up,so I let a pard fhuqk me out of it. My Sako TRG-S 30-378 Wby was a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. 300 Supers,Weatherby's,7 STW's,yada,yada,yada,BT/DT and have ALL the T-shirts. For Brown Angry things,I just as soon have a Krunchenticker in my mitts now,as I did going back nearly 40yrs ago. I've yet to see one,not lead with it's head. Hint.

Handy/Dandy has never had an equal and simply never will. At 20",my Krunchenticker preference is 224 Grendel and 88's. If going 18" or less,I'll Wylde and Hornie 75 HPBT. Mufflers ain't for me,especially on Handy/Dandy. Hint.

The 6 ARC's with 112's in a Howie Mini,have got alotta airtime,given how "new" it is(in OEM guise). It capably covers alotta ground(literally),is fhuqking sinister in the wind and do VERY nice things at 19". Same goes my 22PPC AFI's with 90 Beer Cans at 19". Hint.

20" CTR's in 8" 223,do nice thangs and it's ALL about the magazine there. Too bad they aren't 7" RPM,for 88/90gr Mayhem. Riding Bitch right now in my crummy(Gun Saddle),is a Green Gremlin Mini Howie in 264 Grendel,with 120 MB Smooches,ala JO V2 BDL bottom. Wayne's World handle and Illuminatti on top. The balance/handling/ergo's are SUPERB at 19" and said 120 digs like a Dirty Bastard. Hint.

Laying in passenger's seat is the newly acquired 22WMR BCA/Illuminatti Krunchenticker. Also a Marlin 1894 45LC/Illuminatti. Currently in backseat,are newest Montucky 243Win/5-20x HD MQ FFP Mil/Mil,LitBitch,brand new(yesterday) CA Mesa 7-08/3-9x HD MQ Mil/Mil and rattlin' floorboards is a Sako 6PPC Repeater/Sightron 6-24x FFP Mil/Mil. I'll peel layers,to make room for BabyMan. Hint................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You must have a $200k truck.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.