Hop To
Page 29 of 37 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 36 37
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I live in an area that has T-Shirt and shorts weather 6 months of the year. Is there a good set-up for carrying a full-size pistol dressed as such? If so, what is it?

It is incredibly easy.

First you get a proper belt.
Second you buy a good quality holster (and I will expound more on that in a minute).
Third, you don't wear skinny, tight fitting, metro sexual clothing that is 1 size too small for you.

It is important that you buy a but a belt that is meant to support the weight of a handgun, and not just a dress belt. Otherwise with time and use, the belt with break down and start to curve, be floppy and not properly support the weight. Guys then tighten/cinch the belt harder and it becomes so uncomfortable that they stop carrying. They blame this on the gun, saying the gun is too large and buy a smaller gun. It is not a gun problem it is usually a belt/holster problem.

Same with holsters. Guys will spend X amount of dollars on a handgun, and then stick it in a POS holster, because they are tightwads. Then when they discover how uncomfortable the gun is to carry in the POS holster, they blame it on the gun, and will then buy a smaller, less capable gun and buy yet another POS holster, and start the cycle all over again.

Buy a good belt, and a good holster and you might be surprised how easy it is to carry even very large handgun.

I can carry a 4" .44 Magnum N Frame in an IWB Summer Special from Milt Sparks all day. That is a very large gun by any standards. The reason is that I use a good belt and good holster.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Summer Special can conceal a large N Frame S&W very effectively:

A proper IWB rig, like this Executive Companion will allow you to carry a full size steel frame 1911 all day with no issue.

I have found that carrying IWB helps dissipate the weight better than OWB, plus it aids in concealment. I can carry a full size gun in an IWB all summer long, wearing a typical shorts and a t shirt. It is no big deal.

I use belts like "The Wilderness" which are polymer reinforced. I have used them for 20+ years. Or leather ones made by Milt Sparks.

For holsters, my long time favorites are Summer Specials, or variants made by Milt Sparks.

For a kydex/plastic alternative that is on the less expensive side, yet is actually an excellent holster, the Raven Perun is a great holster. It is an OWB high ride rig. They only make them for a limited number of guns, mostly Glocks, but they are excellent and ride very tight against the body. You can wear one under a T shirt in the summer time with no issue if you choose your shirt accordingly. I am normally not much of a plastic holster fan, but the Raven Perun is one that I do like due to the way it rides close in, as well as the fact you can wear it as a straight drop, or canted. It is a an excellent holster and actually one of the better deals in holsters.

Using a good holster and belt, it is not hard at all to carry a handgun that you perform well with under pressure.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Last month there was a thread in the handguns section called "Summer Carry".

It started out as the typical "what pocket gun do you carry in the hot weather" type thread.

I answered with the following post:

What gun is the minimum you are willing to get into a gunfight against one or possibly two armed bad guys with? Armed as in both have at minimum, handguns. Are you willing to get into that gunfight, which is a fight to the death, (them or you) with a Kahr that holds 7 rounds of .380?

For me, I know what my choices are. Each has to decide. Personally, I don't own any of the micro guns, that hold a very small amount of rounds, as I don't want to fall into the habit of grabbing what is comfortable, rather than what will actually get the job done. My only exception is a J Frame, and it is relegated to BUG role, and on exceedingly rare occasions a primary, but pretty much 99+% of the time I carry a gun I am willing to actually fight with and can turn in a good performance while using.

I posted again showing what I had chosen to carry that day, which was my Glock 22, .40 S&W a reload and a knife.

One of the more condescending members (Wrapids) stated:

"None of my friends in central Wisconsin feel a need to carry a gun."

Then followed up afterwards by telling one of our other members that since they carried a gun and ammo, with this post:

"Sounds like you should leave a war zone"

I posted a few days later that I was packing the following, showing this picture:

To which Wrapids replied:

"You oughtta leave a war zone."

Here is the thing.

I RARELY comment about much of the stuff that goes on and try to stay out of it for the most part.

That said. This condescending liberal attitude is exactly why we just ended up with 18 people dead and 13 more wounded. Over 30 people total, plus all their families. Kids, spouses, parents, all the people who cared for them.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

When the fight started, nobody took the fight to the enemy. Nobody stood their ground and put rounds into the bad guy.

NOBODY.

So Wrapids, maybe you should feel the need to carry a gun, because NOBODY is coming to save you.

It is up to individuals to protect themselves. It is not the job of the government, or the nanny state. You are responsible for your own protection and those you care for who are unable to protect themselves.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Your typical liberal won't fight his own fight, but he sure will call the police and have someone else do it. He is too scared to do the job himself, but not too scared to put someone else at risk. Pathetic.

Back on point,

You don't get to pick and choose when these things are going to happen or where. They are like a gift from a stranger. You have to unwrap it and deal with it, no matter what it is. Odds are that the situation will not be in your favor as the bad guy(s) will have planned it that way. So deal with it.

That is why you carry a gun you are willing to get into a fight with, and actually be prepared to fight.

Just one person with a gun and some skills could have made a difference and changed the outcome drastically.

Think about Eli Dickens.

The 22 year old young man who stopped what would have been a massacre in a shopping mall. He did so by carrying a gun daily and practicing. When the time came, he did not run, he took the fight to the enemy and stopped a massacre before really got going.

This is The Way.

Agree with all. My EDC is a G43X with Shield 15-rounders. And a Benchmade folder lives clipped to my pocket at all times, either a Bugout or a heavier model, which name escapes me.

The 43x w/Shields is an amazing package, BUT you do need to swap out the mag release for one of theirs. Once I did that I ran 10 full mags through each (300 rounds total) with zero failures.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's been precisely my method for decades. To the last detail. GMTA, eh?

What does "GMTA" stand for?

Pard, Great Minds Think Alike. Pard

Why would TRH say that to me?

LOL

Pard, apparently he thinks you two are on the same level of thinking Pard. Sounds like you have some serious thinking to do Pard.

I'm a thinking they gonna meet a 3rd for dinner at the Viking Restaurant in NOLA
and go tirds on a room!🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Lots of wisdom, there, Mackay.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
And a lot of practical experience. A person needs to get the mindset of carrying what they might really need, not what is the most handy. A 2 shot NAA derringer is better than nothing but a bad guy with a Glock will make short work of that idea.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
And a lot of practical experience. A person needs to get the mindset of carrying what they might really need, not what is the most handy. A 2 shot NAA derringer is better than nothing but a bad guy with a Glock will make short work of that idea.
TRH will shoot someone in the dick with his NAA derringer before you can say Anaconda.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

A proper IWB rig, like this Executive Companion will allow you to carry a full size steel frame 1911 all day with no issue.

I can still see it. LOL

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's very hurtful, especially coming from a hero figure of mine. I'm going to spend some time in quiet weeping now.

But, before that, let me say that I've come to discover that it's common to overestimate the actual length of the G34 Long Slide. Most people estimate that it's about the length of a 1911 Long Slide, and it's common to be surprised to discover that it's actually only about the length of a standard length Government model. This fact is often commented on by reviewers.

Okay, enough of defending my error (May God have mercy on my soul). Now off to quiet weeping.

You repeatedly offer advice regarding things you've never done.

And never will.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Agree with all. My EDC is a G43X with Shield 15-rounders. And a Benchmade folder lives clipped to my pocket at all times, either a Bugout or a heavier model, which name escapes me.

The 43x w/Shields is an amazing package, BUT you do need to swap out the mag release for one of theirs. Once I did that I ran 10 full mags through each (300 rounds total) with zero failures.

LMAO

All made up.

Does not carry. Cannot handgun worth a fugk.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I see. More quiet weeping. Where'd I put that spare box of tissues?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Have you ever skinned a deer?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It's move than obvious your parents weren't white.

LOL

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It's move than obvious your parents weren't white.

LOL
Yez boss.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JakeM78

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho1945

And there are a LOT of bad guys out there with Glocks.

I was talking to a peaceful 45 yo Jamaican guy I know the other day. He told me that every brother in the hood has a Glock, good guy or bad guy.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mackay,
Sound advice

I see you have a Trapper Nelson Pack board,,I had and used one years ago

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's not a real complex endeavor.

Wear shorts that have a belt.

Tuck in wife beater.

IWB holster.

Cover shirt/polo.

Agreed!

I carry an N-Frame that way. Just shorts and a big T-Shirt.

The shorts are VertX.

I also have a knife (Vertx has a small knife pocket), IFAk (in cargo pocket), and speedloaders (on the belt).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in an area that has T-Shirt and shorts weather 6 months of the year. Is there a good set-up for carrying a full-size pistol dressed as such? If so, what is it?

It is incredibly easy.

Second you buy a good quality holster (and I will expound more on that in a minute).
Third, you don't wear skinny, tight fitting, metro sexual clothing that is 1 size too small for you.

It is important that you buy a but a belt that is meant to support the weight of a handgun, and not just a dress belt. Otherwise with time and use, the belt with break down and start to curve, be floppy and not properly support the weight. Guys then tighten/cinch the belt harder and it becomes so uncomfortable that they stop carrying. They blame this on the gun, saying the gun is too large and buy a smaller gun. It is not a gun problem it is usually a belt/holster problem.

Same with holsters. Guys will spend X amount of dollars on a handgun, and then stick it in a POS holster, because they are tightwads. Then when they discover how uncomfortable the gun is to carry in the POS holster, they blame it on the gun, and will then buy a smaller, less capable gun and buy yet another POS holster, and start the cycle all over again.

Buy a good belt, and a good holster and you might be surprised how easy it is to carry even very large handgun.

I can carry a 4" .44 Magnum N Frame in an IWB Summer Special from Milt Sparks all day. That is a very large gun by any standards. The reason is that I use a good belt and good holster.

I have found that carrying IWB helps dissipate the weight better than OWB, plus it aids in concealment. I can carry a full size gun in an IWB all summer long, wearing a typical shorts and a t shirt. It is no big deal.

I use belts like "The Wilderness" which are polymer reinforced. I have used them for 20+ years. Or leather ones made by Milt Sparks.

For holsters, my long time favorites are Summer Specials, or variants made by Milt Sparks.

For a kydex/plastic alternative that is on the less expensive side, yet is actually an excellent holster, the Raven Perun is a great holster. It is an OWB high ride rig. They only make them for a limited number of guns, mostly Glocks, but they are excellent and ride very tight against the body. You can wear one under a T shirt in the summer time with no issue if you choose your shirt accordingly. I am normally not much of a plastic holster fan, but the Raven Perun is one that I do like due to the way it rides close in, as well as the fact you can wear it as a straight drop, or canted. It is a an excellent holster and actually one of the better deals in holsters.

Using a good holster and belt, it is not hard at all to carry a handgun that you perform well with under pressure.

I have tried a few OWB set ups while wearing a loose fitting T-Shirt, but my T shirt tended to bunch up on top of the gun. I bought an IWB leather holster for my small revolver and can't quite get cozy with it. Your comment about the belt makes a lot of sense, and I suspect my belts aren't wide and supportive enough. I wish I had a good shop around here. The one shop that has the best and equipment has ridiculous prices and the workers are kinda dicks.

After reading all of the comments in this thread, I realize that I don't have an ideal gun. Out of these the Glock 48 and the Ruger Security 380 are closest to ideal. The Glock 40, Beretta 92 and the Ruger P95 are porkers. I really like the 48 and shoot it pretty well, but it has a 10 round capacity. I don't mind spending money on all the right stuff, but would like to get it right the first time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have you and many of your sockpuppets been banned before?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It is incredibly easy.

I have tried a few OWB set ups while wearing a loose fitting T-Shirt, but my T shirt tended to bunch up on top of the gun. I bought an IWB leather holster for my small revolver and can't quite get cozy with it. Your comment about the belt makes a lot of sense, and I suspect my belts aren't wide and supportive enough. I wish I had a good shop around here. The one shop that has the best and equipment has ridiculous prices and the workers are kinda dicks.

After reading all of the comments in this thread, I realize that I don't have an ideal gun. Out of these the Glock 48 and the Ruger Security 380 are closest to ideal. The Glock 40, Beretta 92 and the Ruger P95 are porkers. I really like the 48 and shoot it pretty well, but it has a 10 round capacity. I don't mind spending money on all the right stuff, but would like to get it right the first time.

Operator error is the leading cause of failure.

Regardless of the discipline.

Page 29 of 37 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 16,131 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,156
Posts18,542,747
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.