Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How are people getting rates sub-10 percent?

We have excellent credit and I’ve never seen anything that low, even in years past……

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I fail to understand the need for a credit card IF you pay your balance every month? If you are getting points or miles fine but with the advent of the Debit card...... what is the purpose other than a short term loan?

Points can add up. I worked with a guy who used a GM credit card for EVERYTHING. He paid his utility bills, taxes, groceries, literally everything with his card and paid it off at the end of every month so he never paid interest. Every 6-7 years he traded for a new GMC pickup. His points paid the 1st $7000-$8000.

Was talking to a cashier at Cabela's a while back. They had a customer buy a new $24,000 boat using nothing but Cabela's points.

I don't do nearly that well. Maybe $300-$400 a year in cash back points.

I have several cards and normally don't carry a balance on most of them. The one through my Credit Union is only 9% and it doesn't always get paid off but the balance is small enough that interest is only a few dollars occasionally. They can come in handy for unexpected expenses. It is better in the long run to carry a balance for 2-3 months to cover something than it is to pull money from a savings account.

And then there is convenience.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate the Game not the Player.

CC Rewards and Fees are built into the cost of most things you buy these days.

If you're a staunch cash/debit payer you're subsidizing CC users.

Last time you asked for a cash discount and got one? Rhetorical question only as most won't answer honestly. If they truly got one most likely over paid on the item price and or it wasn't a normal retail transaction

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hardway
I fail to understand the need for a credit card IF you pay your balance every month? If you are getting points or miles fine but with the advent of the Debit card...... what is the purpose other than a short term loan?

Credit cards can have the points advantage like you say, but they also have greater fraud protection than debit cards. I pay all mine off at the end of the billing cycle and I wouldn't use a debit card on a bet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
How are people getting rates sub-10 percent?

We have excellent credit and I’ve never seen anything that low, even in years past……

Not very likely today

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would never use a debit card linked to my checking account.

Credit card isn't linked to my money. It's on auto pay, so it pays in full every month. We run the business though credit cards and get an insane amount of miles every year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just remember the rule of usable credit

Even if you fully pay off your debt each month you can hurt your credit score if you use more then 25/33% of your usable credit

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Many of the credit ccard company's are in South Decota. High rates are legal there.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My BOA card has been 5.9% for 20 years. I rarely ever carry a balance though.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pay the balance every month. Don't carry a balance. Use it as a tool. Get a card that gives you rewards points and use the rewards. That simple.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by hardway

There is an argument that if a card is compromised it's better to not have it be your debit. They're stealing the bank's money, not yours. That said I almost always use our debit card. Rather only spend money I have.

Additionally, if you are running a business a separate CC helps you build your business credit score. It can protect purchases, and makes tax season MUCH easier.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Remember when we had to pay to have a card?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If someone steals your CC number, the bank will refund it to your account within a day. If someone steals your debit card number, the bank will refund it but it can take weeks and in the meantime, the money's missing from your account. Never buy anything online with a debit.

That said, big companies like Amazon and Costco make huge money on interest on their CC's. They depend on people buying more than they can pay off in a month.
If you pay for medical bills or car repairs on your CC, can you pay it in a month?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All Visa does for me is keep books! I pay what I owe before 30 days and NO INTEREST!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Remember when we had to pay to have a card?

There are still plenty of those out there

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Pay the balance every month. Don't carry a balance. Use it as a tool. Get a card that gives you rewards points and use the rewards. That simple.

This^^^

Love the cash back card, they pay me to use them.

I can make virtual cards for use online as well, easier to see where the BS starts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used a Delta Amex for travel and a Southwest Air Visa for all personal stuff for decades. I have a boatload of miles. But since COVID, we hardly ever travel any more, so I may switch to "cash back" cards.

I always pay the balance in full.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was a poster child for credit card stupidity , carried a significant balance for about 25,years. Wasn’t that bad when we were a two income household. Since then I assumed all the debt and cleared it in five years.

All I owe on at present is a low interest loan on my used pickup. I could pay it off tomorrow but I’m accumulating a reserve of cash.

Damn, if’n I could do the last 30 years over again……

Anyhoo….. my pay-it-all-off-every-month Visa card is my friend.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If people would invest what they pay in interest, they'd be well off when they retire.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you have to ask what the rate is; you should not have one

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,697
Posts18,494,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.