Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Have there been any published tests of the Zastava Mini Mauser specifically in 7.62X39? I've been searching the web and haven't found anything besides the usual repetitions of the manufacturer's press releases. I'm more impressed with this cartridge than the platforms it's available in and wondering if a neat little bolt action might be a worthwhile addition to the collection. Thanks.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Keep the bore size in mind if you handload.

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Keep the bore size in mind if you handload.

As usual…good advice from a man that knows of which he speaks. 👍🏼

I could never warm up to the .223 which is why I only have one in an AR. I like the 7.62commie and have a couple AR’s in that chambering but I’ve never desired one in a bolt. The Howa minis are interesting, especially a 6.5 Grendel but I’d be interested in the mini mauser review too.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 7.62x39 that I have built with Lilja 308 barrels. They will out shoot a 308 for accuracy at 100 yards. As soon as I can I am going to build a 7.62x39 rifle with a 308 bore as a hunting rifle. Probably a 18 inch barrel, light , with a 1.5x6 scope.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have an m-85 in .223. It took me a good while, and a lot of work to the gun, but it’s shooting sub MOA with 1 load. All others are in the 1.5-2 MOA range. When I got the gun, the bolt bound in the action more often that not, and the trigger was terrible. The trigger is fully adjustable if you know what you’re doing, and mine is now 3 pounds and crisp. The bedding was most of the cause of the binding, it stressed the action so much that it bent. A stress free re-bedding job fixed most of the issue. Judicious polishing took care of most of the rest. It’ll still bind a bit if operated too forcefully, but it’s a good, reliable rifle now, with a fairly ugly stock. The checkering could use some help. But I like it, and it’ll shoot as long as I have 50 gr. Ballistic tips and CFE .223. I would also like one in 7.62x39, but haven’t heard much and I’m also looking at Howa.

Old 70

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought a Zastava M85 in 7.62X39 a few years ago and it’s one of my favorite woods (i.e. short range) deer rifles. It is very handy and extremely accurate with Federal blue box ammo. Have taken three deer so far with it and it performs well - nothing spectacular but effective. I haven’t measured the bore but I’m assuming .310”. It is ugly but it’s a beauty in it’s own way - have also let a youngster use it and his dad went out and bought one for him - FWIW.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/23/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had one as well, when Remington was importing the Zastava actions and slapping on their own stocks. It was the Model 799. This information is 15 years old. I got rid of the 799 and bought a single shot with a 308 dia. barrel.

The biggest problem on this side of the Atlantic is the wide variation in barrel and bullet diameters. I say get a 308 diameter barrel. You will have better bullets and more choices. You are right when you say that the 7.62x39 is worthwhile. My problems went away with a 308 barrel. That said,

The Rifle

As it came from the box, the finish was very good. The trigger needed work. It had a gritty feel and a long pull. It broke at 3 ¾ lb, but smoothed out somewhat after a couple hundred shots. As with most Mausers, the open bolt is sloppy. My rifle's follower needed to be filed as well. It tended to bind, so I smoothed the side so that it wouldn’t grab the inside of the magazine well. It's a good idea to check that if you are handling one in a store.

The barrel diameter was .310. You are going to have to try various bullets to see what your rifle wants. It was a crap shoot WRT accuracy.

My rifle was pillar bedded, but the fit and the groups told me it needed to be redone. I am not a fan of skinny barrels, and this action needed proper bedding to make it shoot. While the Federal factory ammunition shot 1 1/4 inch groups (4x5 shot groups, avg) at 100 yd, most of the cartridges, whether they were handloaded or commercial all shot 1.5 to 2 inches. The stock to action fit was poor.

Factory Ammunition

I tried six factory loads - Federal, PMC, Winchester, Prvi Partizan, Igman and some Norinco. All were 123 gr. loads. Accuracy was so-so with my particular rifle. The following were the best and worst of 4x5 shot groups, shot at 100 yd.

Fed SP - 1 1/4 inches -- 2 inches
PMC PSP - 1 3/4 inches -- 2 3/4 inches
Win PSP - 1 3/8 inches -- 2 inches
Prvi PSP - 2 inches -- 2 7/8 inches
Igman PSP - 2 1/2 inches -- 3 1/2 inches
Norinco FMJ - 1 1/4 inches - 2 1/4 inches

Reloading - Cases

The cases vary widely in capacity. This must be checked!

Case Capacity – water weight in grains

Lapua - 33.6 grains
Prvi Partizan - 35.2 grains
Igman - 36.0 grains
Federal - 37.6 grains
PMC - 37.6 grains
Winchester - 37.9 grains

Bullets

Like the factory ammunition, the bullets didn't do much to inspire.

A 308 diameter barrel is the key to performance IMO, whether it's a 7.62x39 or a 300 Ham'r. I ordered a 300 Ham'r barrel as well. With component shortages, anytime that you can reproduce 30-30 velocities using less powder with pointy bullets for more reach, you're ahead. 308 diameter bullets are easy to find and cheaper than .310/.311 bullets.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Many of these were just rough, especially the 799s from REM. Buy a Howa mini and don’t look back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat little rifles, but like all Zastavas, the QC can be “variable” as far as fit and finish go. I always examine ones I come across, and while I like them, the Howas are consistently better finished, and importantly, available and well supported with not only factory stuff, but increasingly, aftermarket parts. The late, lamented CZ 527s are excellent, nicely made rifles, but discontinued, so better grab what you can now if you decide to go that route. The new 600 Trail is interesting, but expensive IMO for what you get, and not what I consider a sporter, more like a truck or prepper piece.

I’ve seen some really nice customized Zastavas, and if money isn't an issue, that’s a good way to go, especially if you want a traditional hinged floorplate instead of DMs.

I bought a Howa Mini 7.62 for my grandson, had a stock trimmed down and painted for it, and also installed a hinged FP. He killed three bucks with it, including a 200 pounder with Hornady Steel SSTs, so I think the round is just ducky for such work. Too bad the really cheap ammo has gone the way of the dodo….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They chambered them in 22-250……soooooo plenty stout
That being said….cz 527 has wider, longer and larger diameter lugs

And since you are using it in a bolt gun……higher pressure can be used

Or just get a CZ

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I have 2 7.62x39 that I have built with Lilja 308 barrels. They will out shoot a 308 for accuracy at 100 yards. As soon as I can I am going to build a 7.62x39 rifle with a 308 bore as a hunting rifle. Probably a 18 inch barrel, light , with a 1.5x6 scope.
Charlie

What action will you use for your hunting rifle?

Thanks.

Frank

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a ruger ranch in 7.62x39. I swapped out the magwell with one for ar mags and use c-products duramags. 1" - 1 1/4" groups with wolf steel case. The ruger has the .310 bore and 16" barrel. If you don't hit what you are aiming at, the fireball coming out the end of the barrel will likely roast whatever it is.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, had one in left hand in 223 for awhile. Maybe a franchi?? Great trigger, 3 way adjustable. Sloppy yes but not horrible. More of a project rifle. Liked my cz 527 better so made a deal on something else. Mine already had a hinged floor plate. Stock was nice but more of a 60s look, roll over cheek piece, grip cap, & all very exaggerated . Wish I could find a lefty now, especially after selling my cz 527, oh well. GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Me again, someone on here had one in 22-250 changed over to a 250 savage but mag length was some what restricted. GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Charlie
This sounds just about perfect. Thanks to all for your responses. Now I have to look at the Howa and Ruger American too.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Heads up to canukers, there's a mod. 799 at Epps sports north of orillia in 223. Same as Zastava 85 $799.00. Just saying. GWPGUY 🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have a Ruger Ranch and CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. I just won a Zastava on gunbroker. Nice looking gun. For those with one, what scope mounts are you using if you are using a scope?

My Ruger shoots lights out. CZ isn't as accurate. Both shoot steel case cheap ammo just fine. I was going to sell the Ruger, but it uses the same mags as a mini 30 and just shoots well.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,091
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.