Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarquin
.... addicted to fentanyl end up over-dosing and dead... is therefore a good thing for the rest of us (who work and pay taxes).... .

1) That may not be an moral position.
Every extended family has some bum who does not pay his bills. But we do not wish him dead.

2) That may not be practical even for the cold hearted.
Those that are dying are in their prime. They are potentially more valuable than babies or old fossils like me.

3) The insane homeless need to be institutionalized and treated.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Most people who get addicted to fentanyl end up over-dosing and dead.

Define “most”, “addiction”, and state your source.

And again.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Victim mindsets that think somebody or something will always come along and save em.

ER doc told us that he resuscitated a kid 5 different times.
After the 5th one the kid goes "see ya next week doc".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Easy to talk like a fluttering [bleep], if everything you say is [bleep].

Throw your theory out to the dad of some young kid who got a little sideways, and is now dead.

Ever do some stupid crap? Young, or last week?
We all do.
I should be dead or in jail, and not for nasty crimes.

By the grace of God, I’m not.

Wishing for the death of total strangers illustrates what a POS you are.

Begs the question. As I said, there is collateral damage for every social policy. In this case, the cost-benefit analysis weighs overwhelmingly in favor of letting people who want to get addicted to fentanyl do so and suffer the entirely predictable consequences. Fathers whose teenage sons die from intentionally ingesting fentanyl are not victims, in the proper meaning of the term. The dad has no one to blame but his dumb-ass son that he probably didn't raise right. There will be a few who ingest innocently and unknowingly, but as I said, every social policy has some negative externalities. Staunch your bleeding liberal hearts you pussies!

Just stop!

You have what could be considered a good academic theory. I myself run afoul of
others by voicing such. Oftentimes even debunking them due to the differences between theory and reality as it's affected by humans

That said, to come here and suggest that the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans (millions, French fries to carfentinal it is abuse by substance)
if for some benefit goes beyond the academic into the realm Final Solutions.

If you haven't been touched, at least through close acquaintances, by the loss
of someone. Haven't watched someone struggle as their lived one struggle.

Haven't sat at work with a decades long colleague, and had him look you in the eye and say, "Karl, I'm glad he is in the State Prison. When he is there I know where he is,
and that he is relatively safe." As he chokes, turns his head so I didn't see the tears.

That particular you g man stole from family, was in and out of jail.
For numerous years. A good, very intelligent kid.

He now manages a big hardware store, helps other kids.

The world is BETTER off with him in it.

And you are still a POS!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I met a young man recently who was home from Afghanistan. He had been a Recon Marine while there. I don't know his particulars. But he's having a bad time with it.

Fentanyl is what he chose to deal with it. I don't think he deserves to die because of the chronic anxiety he developed while a Recon Marine in Afghanistan.

To sit and talk with him you wouldn't know he had such problems--well groomed, intelligent-- very friendly--married to a good woman and had two kids.

But war sent him home with demons. It's a very big damn shame.

And while I'm on the topic, fug Nikki Haley and any other government official who wants to ruin more American boy's lives by sending them into schitt that Americans have no business participating in.

You just poked all the forum NeoCon war mongerers in the eye. How dare you

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Easy to talk like a fluttering [bleep], if everything you say is [bleep].

Throw your theory out to the dad of some young kid who got a little sideways, and is now dead.

Ever do some stupid crap? Young, or last week?
We all do.
I should be dead or in jail, and not for nasty crimes.

By the grace of God, I’m not.

Wishing for the death of total strangers illustrates what a POS you are.

Begs the question. As I said, there is collateral damage for every social policy. In this case, the cost-benefit analysis weighs overwhelmingly in favor of letting people who want to get addicted to fentanyl do so and suffer the entirely predictable consequences. Fathers whose teenage sons die from intentionally ingesting fentanyl are not victims, in the proper meaning of the term. The dad has no one to blame but his dumb-ass son that he probably didn't raise right. There will be a few who ingest innocently and unknowingly, but as I said, every social policy has some negative externalities. Staunch your bleeding liberal hearts you pussies!

Were you to say that in my presence you’d only say it once.

Ok tough guy. But I'm not wrong. Amazing how many pussy social workers there are on this forum.

Tarquin
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hookeye
Victim mindsets that think somebody or something will always come along and save em.

Talk to an ER nurse about how bad it is. Same people coming into the ER for resuscitation from an OD week after week. Same drug addicted losers---and thousands of dollars of taxpayer dollars spent for every visit. It's bankrupting some hospitals. Why in hell are we resuscitating these people?

Last edited by Tarquin; 11/27/23.

Tarquin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Talk to an ER nurse about how bad it is. Same people coming into the ER for resuscitation from an OD week after week. Same drug addicted losers---and thousands of dollars of taxpayer dollars spent for every visit. It's bankrupting some hospitals. Why in hell are we resuscitating these people?

You are too stupid to realize what an asshat you really are. Just quit posting and think about your initial post for 24 hours and report back. And FYIW these guys aren’t liberal sissies calling you out. Good grief you are a rock head.

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cfran

You are too stupid to realize what an asshat you really are. Just quit posting and think about your initial post for 24 hours and report back. And FYIW these guys aren’t liberal sissies calling you out. Good grief you are a rock head.

You're the stupid one. If you get addicted to drugs, why should society shield you from the entirely predictable Darwinian consequences of your own choices? My daughter is an ER nurse. I've heard the stories. We need to let some of these people just plain die. What has been enlightening however is the way this thread has brought out the bleeding heart liberals/social workers!

Last edited by Tarquin; 11/27/23.

Tarquin
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, it’s bad.

But this is hyperbolic clickbait.

Most people who get addicted to fentanyl end up over-dosing and dead.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"If they would rather die they had better do it and decrease the surplus population."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If someone is knowingly using fentanyl and dies as a result, then they made bad decisions and paid the price. But someone who takes a pill that is made to look like a Xanax but is made from fentanyl, and dies as a result--they've been murdered.

Ya, but using street drugs is a choice and like any choice, whoever makes the choice is responsible for the outcomes, for better or for worse. If someone takes a pill that wasn't prescribed for him/her, he/she is taking a risk. It could be real or it could be counterfeit, you pay your money and you take your chances.

If we really cared about reducing the manufacture, distribution, sale, and use of illegal street drugs, we'd have the will to execute anyone found in possession of any quantity greater than whatever one day's use would be. The Border Patrol catches people bringing drugs into the U.S. from Mexico on a regular basis. I wonder how many people would keep doing it if they knew that getting caught would guarantee that they would be executed. Public hanging in the zip code where the offense took place might get the attention of people who were thinking about doing.

Narcan can save someone who overdoses on opioids so that they can keep using. No Narcan, no being saved, no continued using. Problem solved. I've heard from paramedics who rolled to the same location multiple times a week to administer Narcan, often to the same person. I can't see where saving the same people over and over again has any benefit to society.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I come from a family with a long history of various addictions. I suspect that there is a genetic component. Most of the addicts were bipolar or clinically depressive or they suffered chronic migraines. As someone who suffers from chronic pain and headaches, I can certainly feel compassion for those who turn to drugs or alcohol to try to find a momentary reprieve from their pain or discomfort. The dead among my family members were good people. Smart and funny. Productive taxpaying members of society.

Contrary to what many people believe, older people represent a substantial percentage of those who die from opioid overdose. Almost 40% are over the age of 45.

I suspect that we have a significant number of members who are addicted to alcohol. About 10% of Americans suffer from Alcohol Use Disorder. Men are about twice as likely as women to suffer the disorder. There are over 140,000 alcohol related deaths in the USA each year. Are we equally glad these people are being removed from our population?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 11/27/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If someone is knowingly using fentanyl and dies as a result, then they made bad decisions and paid the price. But someone who takes a pill that is made to look like a Xanax but is made from fentanyl, and dies as a result--they've been murdered.

Ya, but using street drugs is a choice and like any choice, whoever makes the choice is responsible for the outcomes, for better or for worse. If someone takes a pill that wasn't prescribed for him/her, he/she is taking a risk. It could be real or it could be counterfeit, you pay your money and you take your chances.

If we really cared about reducing the manufacture, distribution, sale, and use of illegal street drugs, we'd have the will to execute anyone found in possession of any quantity greater than whatever one day's use would be. The Border Patrol catches people bringing drugs into the U.S. from Mexico on a regular basis. I wonder how many people would keep doing it if they knew that getting caught would guarantee that they would be executed. Public hanging in the zip code where the offense took place might get the attention of people who were thinking about doing.

Narcan can save someone who overdoses on opioids so that they can keep using. No Narcan, no being saved, no continued using. Problem solved. I've heard from paramedics who rolled to the same location multiple times a week to administer Narcan, often to the same person. I can't see where saving the same people over and over again has any benefit to society.

No cpr for someone who went swimming or from a capsized boat. they knew the risk. No search and rescue for lost or injured hikers. They knew the risk. No lifesaving care to folks in a car wreck. They knew the risk going out on the road.

Darwin at work.

MAGA
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

No cpr for someone who went swimming or from a capsized boat. they knew the risk. No search and rescue for lost or injured hikers. They knew the risk. No lifesaving care to folks in a car wreck. They knew the risk going out on the road.

Darwin at work.

Entirely different. You're describing accidents (tragedies) that were unexpected and not bargained for. Overdose and death is the entirely predictable and bargained-for result of becoming addicted to and using Fentanyl

Tarquin
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Possibly...might be what is called a Watson Murder (if they knew the risk).

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Darwin at work.

If you smoke, no lifesaving care for lung diseases. If you have a bad diet, no lifesaving care for dietary issues. If you drink, no lifesaving care for liver issues. If you are injured while hunting, no care for associated injuries. Overweight, no care for weight related issues. Play on a bicycle in traffic, no care for you, idiot.

We probably have most of our members covered at this point.

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

But the social workers on this site want us to keep rescuing the kid (shoveling money at him) when we can't even afford Medicare for seniors who worked their whole life without becoming addicted. It's messed up bigly.

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Darwin at work.

Entirely different. You're describing accidents (tragedies) that were unexpected and not bargained for. Overdose and death is the entirely predictable and bargained-for result of becoming addicted to and using Fentanyl

It is not entirely different. He described potential results from bad decisions or mistakes.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The slide into "it could kill you" drugs use is often very slow and is triggered by a series of events with alcohol being the true gateway drug. Usually, a less than optimal upbringing and traumatic events kicks things off with alcohol/drug use in the teen years as they try to change the way they feel through the use of alcohol and drugs. So, it's not like someone is sitting around and just decides to use fentanyl. It's usually what they can afford/have access to at that point in their addiction when they get into the stuff that will kill them. I'd venture to guess that most who end up using fentanyl are at the point where they feel hopeless and honestly don't care if they live or die.

And then you have folks who had injuries and were over prescribed opioids for pain. Many a good man/woman has been destroyed by that crap. When the pills run out, they turn to whatever they can get.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 34 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.