Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

I did some more digging in my library and reference, and the more I dug the more complex it got--including partly involving my correspondence with Doug Murray, author of The Ninety-Nine, A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle. Doug passed away in 2008, so this was a while ago.

Dunno if I have your e-mail address, but it would probably easier to do it that way rather than here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Practical engineers vs marketing wankers is what steers the wagon in my opinion. Younger generations feel a need to fix stuff that ain’t broke, and do it for all product lines.

One of my favorites is a .45 flintlock with a (OMG!) 42” barrel. Such rifles are still putting meat on the table. Don’t tell anyone it only weighs 7# 3 oz., without the bayonet of course.

Seems like DigitalDan is a bit of a misnomer. Maybe AnalogDan would be a better fit? laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Practical engineers vs marketing wankers is what steers the wagon in my opinion. Younger generations feel a need to fix stuff that ain’t broke, and do it for all product lines.

One of my favorites is a .45 flintlock with a (OMG!) 42” barrel. Such rifles are still putting meat on the table. Don’t tell anyone it only weighs 7# 3 oz., without the bayonet of course.

Seems like DigitalDan is a bit of a misnomer. Maybe AnalogDan would be a better fit? laugh

😂😂😂

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a subscription in the early years of Sporting Classics. I allways read Robert Jones first he could really tell a story without fugging up the facts as applicable. His untimely passing made me realize he was the attraction to SC mag and when my sub expired I didn't re up it. Pinckney was there and his writing didn't get it for me. Even back then I had no use for the msm slant on everything. Inaccurate facts and bullchit lines just don't fly for me. You can get that in less that a second turning on the TV. You guys like him it's OK by me . I like people with credibility not enough time in life left for bullchit period . Laughs yes bs no..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I am guessing here, but I suspect the article was a "mission accomplished" piece. It stirred debate and got people talking about both new and old technology. In that regard, it was a success. It got the grumpy old men talking. The young were amused and likely talking about it as well

This was an op-ed. Should you wish to express your opinion of the article to SCD, scroll to the bottom and you can write it there. As of right now, nothing seems to have been sent, or been put up in response.

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/confessions-of-a-lead-slinging-luddite/

Well that was certainly why I started this thread😜

Seems it worked.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SS336
Originally Posted by JayJunem

😂😂😂

No. I think Practical Dan is a better fit. Form follows function.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I am guessing here, but I suspect the article was a "mission accomplished" piece. It stirred debate and got people talking about both new and old technology. In that regard, it was a success. It got the grumpy old men talking. The young were amused and likely talking about it as well

This was an op-ed. Should you wish to express your opinion of the article to SCD, scroll to the bottom and you can write it there. As of right now, nothing seems to have been sent, or been put up in response.

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/confessions-of-a-lead-slinging-luddite/

Well that was certainly why I started this thread😜

Seems it worked.

It certainly did. laugh

One more time!

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for posting. Interesting reading.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I usually ignore technical errors because everybody makes them (some seldom; some often). If I never made a mistake, I might be more critical.
I am fond of early to mid-20th century technology; in firearms, motorcycles and cars. Even my more modern rifles were cutting edge in 1975. If I could buy a brand new '56 Chevy, that's what I would be driving. My new car won't even let me flash someone the bright lights!
All in all, not a great article but containing some truths. GD

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd never heard of Roger Pinckney, but I sure enjoyed the article that you have posted.

I don't agree with his statement that the 250-3000 is superior to the 243 or that the 87 grain bullet is useless, but everyone has an opinion, some even based on actual experience.

"The 250 Savage, invented in 1915, was the first commercial round to crack 3,000 feet per second and was marketed as the 250-3000, though that was with a useless 87-grain bullet. The round really comes into its own with the 100-grain round-nose at 2,800, far superior to the much newer 243 Winchester that tends to get sketchy up against thick-skinned mature boars, often to a hunter’s dismay and peril.".

Roger has written some good books about living in the Lowcountry, he’s a hoot in person. I’m not too upset by his mistake.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, everybody makes mistakes, but one of the things I learned early on about being a professional writer is to make an effort to keep them to a minimum.

I would not be upset by "his mistake," if there were only one--not several in a relatively short article.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's in the same vein as fiction writers who make wild mistakes concerning gun stuff. Female mystery writers are the worst, in general, which is why I've been avoiding them. Probably a somewhat misogynistic attitude, but it's my attitude and I'm sticking with it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great article. But I'm a little longer in the tooth age wise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’ve got to love the campfire. An article whose claim is that nothing SIGNIFICANT has changed in many decades, if not a century is followed by a discussion about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, lol.

A statement about the lack of available ammo is attacked for being inaccurate because ammo was available, just not reliable?

Did Ken Howell just re-incarnate?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

There's not only been significant advances in rifles, bullets and powders, but optics. Before WWII no rifle scopes were sealed against moisture--the reason many if not most scoped rifles before the war were equipped with detachable scope mounts, often high enough to allowing aiming with irons even without removing the scope.

Plus, very few scopes featured coated lenses, because Zeiss came up with coatings during the 1930s.

One thing I have noticed frequently over the decades is how many hunters form their notions of perfect rifles (and scopes, cartridges, etc.) by around 40 years of age--and then never change 'em.

One of my local friends in Montana, who I lost track of maybe a decade ago, decided by 40 that pre-'64 Model 70 Winchesters and the Weaver steel-tube scopes made in El Paso, Texas were the finest ever made. He was so certain of this that he often offered to loan friends his Model 70s with Texas Weavers so they could experience all that excellence themselves.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I have noticed frequently over the decades is how many hunters form their notions of perfect rifles (and scopes, cartridges, etc.) by around 40 years of age--and then never change 'em.

That’s probably true about a wide variety of things, not just those items.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I think this forum is living proof - it would be interesting if everyone's actual age were posted under their "Join Date."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm 74 and pretty comfortable with that Model 70/El Paso Weaver concept! It's one of those cases where logic says otherwise but it's just comfortable. GD

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Brad

I think this forum is living proof - it would be interesting if everyone's actual age were posted under their "Join Date."

I will be 72 in just under two weeks.

In the 90's and mid 2000's if anyone predicted that that I'd be owning anything but heavy barreled magnums and repeaters, I'd have said they were nutz.

I would never thought I would be acquiring

Quarter-Bores

Sako's

Cooper Single-Shot Bolt Actions

Mannlicher Stocked Rifles

Straight pull European Bolt guns

Double Rifles

and as of late, O/U Combinations,

223 Rem/30-06 Springfield

12 gauge/308 Win w/ 222 Insert (Einstecklauf)

I even have my eye on a Drieling (Drilling).

I still consider myself to be an un-reconstructed red-neck, so I don't whether I have evolved or just have gone nutz.

Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to think the 30-30 still holds that record. I still see a good number of them in the Woods. I know I was prowling the snow filled landscape with Winchester 94 in tow today.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.