Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Because LC Smith are normally lighter than the average when it comes to doubles. Physics. Id love to know how much it weighs, likely less than a Fox or Parker or other era double gun. To each his own.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks, finally found it.

But dunno what it would do that the Kent loads wouldn't--and as noted earlier their 1-ounce 2-3/4" load of #5 Bismuth has worked great on both ducks and pheasants for us. Bought a case for $225 not long ago....
MD, I doubt the BOSS would do any better than the Kent. I only responded because I had just been looking for an alternative source since my local shop hasn’t had any Kent in stock and my supply is low. I haven’t personally run any BOSS shells, mostly Kent.

Last edited by Farming; 12/09/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Farming,

Thanks for the response.

Yep, these days we often have to pay for what we can actually get. (Luckily, I also still have a fair supply of Bismuth 6s and 4s for handloading....)

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I got to thinking (dangerous, that) and wondered if I had any bismuth shot left behind after I divested myself of a sh*t ton of shotshell components and presses. (Kept a Mec 600 Jr. 12ga for "emergencies".) Lo and behold there was an unopened pack of 1.5 pounds of bismuth #2's gathering dust. Came from Ballistic Products a few years ago. I'm not gonna use it so if somebody here can make use of it PM me and it's yours for cost of postage. Merry Christmas.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll take you up on that! It works very well in my Armas Erbi 10-gauge magnum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's yours John. I have your address, it'll go out Monday.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My daughter shot the crap out of Canadian mallards this year with an ounce of bismuth 6’s in her 20. Even a big Canada goose fell dead when it strayed too close. We do shoot over decoys and are fairly conservative in choosing our shots. I’ve still got some of the old green boxed shells. Ducks hate ‘em.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I got to thinking (dangerous, that) and wondered if I had any bismuth shot left behind after I divested myself of a sh*t ton of shotshell components and presses. (Kept a Mec 600 Jr. 12ga for "emergencies".) Lo and behold there was an unopened pack of 1.5 pounds of bismuth #2's gathering dust. Came from Ballistic Products a few years ago. I'm not gonna use it so if somebody here can make use of it PM me and it's yours for cost of postage. Merry Christmas.

I’ve always shot factory loaded bismuth but am starting to run low on a few of my favorites. I prefer loads a bit slower than what’s commercially available now. I may resort to loading to get what I want. Like you, I divested of most of my shotgun loading stuff. I also did hang on to a MEC 600. Hmmmm…… 🤔

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
thank you gentlemen, for your inputs and insight! very helpful,

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by spj
Because LC Smith are normally lighter than the average when it comes to doubles. Physics. Id love to know how much it weighs, likely less than a Fox or Parker or other era double gun. To each his own.

I have a Fausti 28-gauge SxS that weighs 5 pounds 2 ounces, and have used it quite a bit with Winchester's 1-ounce load loads without experiencing any pain. The pretty much maximum shot charge for 2-3/4 inch 20-gauge bismuth ammo is an ounce. Kent's load is rated at 1200 fps, and Winchester's 1-ounce 28-gauge load 1205.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Without a doubt, a Fausti 28 ga sxs has to be one of the coolest sxs made. Do you have any pics? Haha
Mickey

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I do!

[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
That’s a little beauty😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Nice....very nice. Single trigger? Haha

I bet she's a wonderful shoot!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Fausti sent to to me for a magazine review, and after shooting the little gun a lot I liked it a LOT. Generally I prefer two triggers on double-barreled shotguns, due to often finding them more reliable than single triggers. But during a lot of test-shooting could NOT get this one's trigger to fail--and a dozen years later still haven't. I could also shoot it well, thanks in part to the 28" barrels, which help it swing well even though it's so light.

So I asked what the writer's price was, which is generally around wholesale. Even then it obviously wasn't inexpensive, but have never regretted buying it....

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I got there late this morning. Was to meet a buddy and his son to hunt ducks and they were already setup. I was suiting up when I heard the BOOM BOOM quickly followed by a POW POW. Got to the blind and seems that junior connected with two mallards using a 28 that dad had missed with the 12. Did I mention he was using #6 steel? Shook me right to the foundation it did.

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I have never shot a 28 of any kind. I have SxS in 12, 16, 20 and 410.e Will be adding a 28 to
my bucket list!!

I'll let you know what I find!

Last edited by Bobcat85; 12/10/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As many people have noted, the 28 tends to be far more effective than it's bore-size or loads suggest. In fact did an article for Handloader magazine in the April 2008 issue titled, "Why the 28-Gauge Works So Well."

It included several handloads, of course, but the basic premise of the article was to start using the 28-gauge during the 2007 Montana upland-bird season--and continue using it until it failed to work. This is because our upland season lasted from September 1st through December, and as the season went on the birds tended to flush further out, and be harder to kill due to thicker feathers--especially after pheasants opened in mid-October.

Turned out I never did put the 28 away, and killed wild rooster pheasants regularly out to 40+ yards. The longest kill (and shot attempted) was a mature male sage grouse at 47 yards.

Among other things, I pointed out that while many hunters think the 28 is only good for smaller birds, larger birds tend to "catch" more shot. But the 28's shot string, as many have pointed out over the years, also tends to be shorter than in other gauges (or the .410 bore) so more shot arrives around the same time, putting more in the bird.

John Steinbeck
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes and you are not 12. A break action sub 6lb gun on a duck hunt MIGHT not be the perfect combo for the purpose for an inexperienced shooter. Just my experience. The non tox loads will certainly help as opposed to hot steel shot. My primary upland gun is a 5lb and change 28ga Weatherby. Love it for that purpose. I'm sure it will be fine for a hunt and much fun for the youngster.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks, finally found it.

But dunno what it would do that the Kent loads wouldn't--and as noted earlier their 1-ounce 2-3/4" load of #5 Bismuth has worked great on both ducks and pheasants for us. Bought a case for $225 not long ago....
Where did you get that? I checked ammo seek, and they only showed it at bass pro/cabelas for $450.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.