Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a tad more accurate than the venerable 308 Win?

It sure seems like most 6.5 Creedmoors are extremely easy to shoot accurate groups.

Am I wrong? The 6.5 Creedmoor just seems like so eager to please in regards to accuracy.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is this a vote? I pick creedmoor.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Q#1, no. Q#2, yes.

With the questions answered as asked. The cartridge doesn't determine the accuracy. With that said, the 6.5C was designed to be as potentially accurate as cartridge design goes.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have both, I would pick the 6.5 CM over the 308, 6.5 shoots better and a lot less recoil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It depends on the gun, the barrel, the load, etc. Less recoil makes a rifle easier to fire. Following the specs Hornady created for the chamber, it is a very forgiving round with a good match between ammunition and rifles, but there are no guarantees.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

So this is a subforum about HUNTING rifles, not necessarily target rifles. I don't think there's a practical difference nor consistent accuracy advantage of one cartridge over the other unless perhaps you are sticking with only factory ammo. In that case, there is probably more consistency between 6.5 Creedmoor chambers, rifle to rifle, meaning it is easier to make factory ammo with lower tolerances that fits more of the rifles. Once you're into handloads, though, and can tailor ammo to a specific rifle, any advantage one way or another vanishes.

For hunting, I think the choice is simple. I have a "bit" of experience with both. If you stop at deer sized game, Creedmoor. If you also hunt elk, .308. My primary load for my .308 uses the 165 grain accubond but it also shoots 180 grain partitions very very well. That is not to say I wouldn't use either of them for either job, or a .243 for that matter, but in the evaluation of shades of gray regarding your question, those are my preferences.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Creedmoor was designed as a target cartridge. The 308 was a shortened design of the 30-06 that was done to use less powder and allow the carrying of more rounds in combat. In general the cartridge/chamber tolerances are tighter on the Creedmoor so it has the potential to be more accurate out of the box. That can all be mitigated with precision chambering/load assembly.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

It sure seems like most 6.5 Creedmoors are extremely easy to shoot accurate groups.

Am I wrong? The 6.5 Creedmoor just seems like so eager to please in regards to accuracy.

I have used both quite a bit and both are very easy to get to group well, easier than most cartridges. That being said, I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor because with it I can push a high BC bullet at reasonable velocities. If I load similar weight bullets out of a .308, they have a much lower BC. If I want to push a .308 bullet that has the same BC as a given .6.5 bullet at the same velocity that I can launch them from the 6.5 Creedmoor, it takes much larger than a .308 case to do it. Recoil is noticeably less with the 6.5 Creedmoor so it is easier to shoot well. I have not seen that one kills better than the other, but the 6.5 Creedmoor is easier to shoot well.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Accuracy aside, what is the purpose of said choice? Both are capable of excellent accuracy, certainly minute of deer out to a long way. I have both and continue to take the 308 for my deer hunting needs. I have a long and successful history with that rifle and it gets the nod - but that really has nothing to do with the accuracy. In fact, my 6.5 Creed is a bit more accurate.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
In the last 10-15 years I have seen a few truck loads of critters killed with the 6.5 CM and the .308 both are accurate, and with a good bullet well placed shot kill well, with comparable rifles I think the 6.5 CM has the edge for all around use.YMMV ----Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hondo says it very well. If sectional density correlates to penetration, then the Creedmoor shoots bullets with great sectional density at velocities that shoot flatter. These higher velocity bullets have a higher BC...so maintain velocity further (bullet expands more reliably at distance) and drift less in the wind. At close ranges it's more about bullet construction than caliber but a high sectional density can help with penetration.

I keep wanting to add another rifle to pair with my 260 AI (mostly for deer). No reason, just like rifles. I've been looking at a 308 (I'm done with high recoil rifles). Then I start looking at 308 velocities with 165g bullets, the extra recoil, the less than stellar BC, etc. and realize the 308 case is fairly optimized at 26 caliber so what does the 308 do my 260 can't? Honestly, nothing <smile>. I'm still considering getting a 20" barreled 308 with a decently heavy barrel so not too light. In fact I was looking at a Bergara B14 this past week that felt great when pointing it. Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Hondo64d

I have used both quite a bit and both are very easy to get to group well, easier than most cartridges. That being said, I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor because with it I can push a high BC bullet at reasonable velocities. If I load similar weight bullets out of a .308, they have a much lower BC. If I want to push a .308 bullet that has the same BC as a given .6.5 bullet at the same velocity that I can launch them from the 6.5 Creedmoor, it takes much larger than a .308 case to do it. Recoil is noticeably less with the 6.5 Creedmoor so it is easier to shoot well. I have not seen that one kills better than the other, but the 6.5 Creedmoor is easier to shoot well.

John

Last edited by HogWild; 12/11/23.

HogWild
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
What aren’t you doing loading the 308 verses what you don’t have to with this new cartridge?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
The Creedmoor was designed as a target cartridge. The 308 was a shortened design of the 30-06 that was done to use less powder and allow the carrying of more rounds in combat. In general the cartridge/chamber tolerances are tighter on the Creedmoor so it has the potential to be more accurate out of the box. That can all be mitigated with precision chambering/load assembly.

Exactly. These guys that don't get it, never will. I've had far more good shooting 6.5's than I have 308's. It's in their design to shoot exceedingly well, and yes, you will even see the difference in a common hunting rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

The .308 has been proven over and over a stellar cartridge along with the .30-06 and yes neither were designed as a target cartridge, but.... they became one. "The 'potential' to be more accurate out of the box", it is or it isn't. If it is so good why would the word potential be in the equation? I shot one out of a supposed set up rifle..... wasn't impressed. Hornady tries hard to stay in the game. Sometimes they win some times they loose. "In general" about tighter tolerances, either it does or it doesn't, no in between. What's so painful about loading the .308 ? LOL With improved bullets, powder and dies, it really isn't that hard to meet or exceed the 6.5 Creedmore design. A bedded rifle in the hands of a good rifleman, loaded with consistent neck tension/OAL, right bullet/powder charge combination, doesn't sound that painful at all. I just don't buy into all the hype about this cartridge.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/11/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by HogWild
Hondo says it very well. If sectional density correlates to penetration, then the Creedmoor shoots bullets with great sectional density at velocities that shoot flatter. These higher velocity bullets have a higher BC...so maintain velocity further (bullet expands more reliably at distance) and drift less in the wind. At close ranges it's more about bullet construction than caliber but a high sectional density can help with penetration.

I keep wanting to add another rifle to pair with my 260 AI (mostly for deer). No reason, just like rifles. I've been looking at a 308 (I'm done with high recoil rifles). Then I start looking at 308 velocities with 165g bullets, the extra recoil, the less than stellar BC, etc. and realize the 308 case is fairly optimized at 26 caliber so what does the 308 do my 260 can't? Honestly, nothing <smile>. I'm still considering getting a 20" barreled 308 with a decently heavy barrel so not too light. In fact I was looking at a Bergara B14 this past week that felt great when pointing it. Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

A bullet diameter can't make this cartridge alone. Where does that leave the 6.5 Swede ? Right there with the Creedmore. The Swede has considerable more case capacity and less pressure. How about that !

Last edited by anothergun; 12/11/23.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd put $ on the 6.5 over 308 for accuracy plus it has less recoil. I am not ashamed to say my accuracy, and fun, goes up as the recoil goes down.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a tad more accurate than the venerable 308 Win? .

New tooling helps the 6.5 CM, but more importantly, the 308 Win is hobbled with the SAAMI chamber with its HUGE lead. The 308 Win SAAMI chamber was standardized with a 180 RN bullet (1950's thinking), giving a ridiculous jump to the land for spitzer bullets. With equally cut chambers, barrels, and componants, I'd give the edge to the 308 Win. 30's are just easy componant-wise. The bigger the bore, the more forgiving.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a tad more accurate than the venerable 308 Win? .

New tooling helps the 6.5 CM, but more importantly, the 308 Win is hobbled with the SAAMI chamber with its HUGE lead. The 308 Win SAAMI chamber was standardized with a 180 RN bullet (1950's thinking), giving a ridiculous jump to the land for spitzer bullets. With equally cut chambers, barrels, and componants, I'd give the edge to the 308 Win. 30's are just easy componant-wise. The bigger the bore, the more forgiving.

It's not just the jump. The SAAMI minimum dimension for the diameter of the freebore section is well over bullet diameter, unlike the half thousandth specified for the Creedmoor.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
They’re both good at similar things. Everything else being equal, I’d lean toward the 308 for greater barrel life.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to read yet another thread involving opinions of the 6.5 Creedmoor from people who've never fired one--and don't know how it's spelled.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 CM target
308 win hunting

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always interesting to read yet another thread involving opinions of the 6.5 Creedmoor from people who've never fired one--and don't know how it's spelled.

I never drove a new catty, and wasn't impressed drivin an old one either.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/12/23.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
For Me a .308 Win does all i need and more as I only hunt whitetails in the Cumberland Mountains where 100yds is a longish shot, plus the .308 Win is reloader friendly with plenty of reloading components available....And if my buddy's saw me toting a Creedmoor of any kind they would think I had turned gay 😁....Good luck..Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
split the difference, 7-08... that said, any of these 3 would be a good choice...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It isn't so far in my similar rifles. My lone 6.5 Creedoor, a Kimber Hunter, is a 3 shot, 100 yard 1-1.25" rifle. In fairness, I have only shot the Creedmoor a few times with factory and handloads. It has been easy to load for but hasn't given anything close to the velocities in the manuals. I just picked up three pounds of Sta-Ball 6.5 which may improve it over the H-4350 and REL-15 I have used so far.. FWIW, my .30-06 Montana is about as accurate as the GSR.

The .308's are an 18.7" Ruger GSR Synthetic and a Model 88 Winchester 22". I also have an M!A HB with a Mark 4 scope. The GSR and M88 both do 3-shot groups at 100 yards of 3/4 inch. The M1A ia a 2" 5-shot group rifle.

A previously owned Model 99E in .308 Win was a 3 shot 100 yard 1.75 to 2.5" grouping rifle with its best loads. It went to a BIL.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

... It has been easy to load for but hasn't given anything close to the velocities in the manuals. I just picked up three pounds of Sta-Ball 6.5 which may improve it over the H-4350 and REL-15 I have used so far..

It's been my experience the Staball 6.5 will speed up your MV's over H4350...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use to be strictly a 30-06 and 270 Win man, slowly I warmed up to 7mm-08 and now experimenting with 308 win. I noticed that both 7mm-08 and 308 are very easy to handload to great accuracy to the point that 7mm-08 has become my main hunting caliber. Since I use my firearms to hunt and all my shooting is focused on developing a load and practicing for a hunt I don't think I have any need for 6.5 Creedmoor. I could be wrong.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use both for deer and prefer the Creed. Flip a coin.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 6.5 Creedmoor has been the most well engineered cartridge to come on the scene for a long time. Yes, for target matches, but with proper bullets and conventional to lightweight rifles, they are well suited for hunting. Prior to that in my opinion is the 300WSM. The 6.5CM is super easy to load for and adequate for much of our North American big game. Apparently the perjorative crowd here likes to call any cartridge they don't approve of as "gay". Makes no sense - shoot what you like and I'll do the same.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Killing power of a creedmoor sucks when you are elk hunting. If anyone wants to chase a wounded elk for a couple miles in thick timber, they are a fool.
Can you kill an elk with a creedmoor at reasonable distance? Yes
Can you also easily lose one at those distances? Yes

Who worries about recoil when you aren’t on a bench?
I can almost guarantee anyone that has shot an elk, and lost one with a creedmoor, now hunts with a 300 wsm or similar lol.
I have been hunting with the same rifle for 30 years. 225 grain partition dumps em every time. I couldn’t give two sh!+s about ballistic coefficients at 600 yards lol.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh yeah, one other thing.
Got a 5x5 bull opening day this year with that outdated, heavy, inaccurate.308 lol. 95 yards

It’s funny how you can talk to bow hunters about elk hunting (likely shooting an maximum of 50 yards) and in the same day talk to a guy that thinks he needs to have the flattest shooting rifle at 800 yards. All this paper shuffling statistics is all BS. I have shot one Mule deer at 275 yards about 20 years ago. Everything else has been 150 yards or less.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
More accurate? Maybe
More plastic? Definitely!

I would be shocked to find a factory rifle that outperforms anyone of my 55 yr old Sakos. Anything over 1/2” group at a 100 is a disappointment from any of them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MRKbass2
More accurate? Maybe

I would be shocked to find a factory rifle that outperforms anyone of my 55 yr old Sakos. Anything over 1/2” group at a 100 is a disappointment from any of them
Yep... older bro bought an ouhgt six Finnbear deluxe on closeout back in the 70's ($175)... bout 10 yrs back, 3 of us shot a group with it @ 100 yds (1 shot each) his buddy and i had never shot it before, our shots were touching... bro shot and said "fugg!, i think i flinched", (he had just finished sighting in his 870 turkey load) ... his was the flier, group measured just over .600...

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
SAKO !!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i think it was 2008 or '09 when i got a 6.5 Creedmoor in 15" MGM barrel for my TC Encore. then i shot several deer with it. 2 or 3 years later, i got another 6.5 CM in a 16 1/4" MGM barrel with a High Plains Saphire laminated rifle stock. i shot several deer and 2 years later i bought another 6.5 CM in a 23" MGM barrel. i shot several deer with it. i shot 120gr Nosler BT, 120gr Hornady SST, 140gr Nosler BT and 140gr Hornady SST. i used several IMR powders, Varget and Superformance. i found Superformance powder to be about with these barrels. the barrels would go on average 1/2 - 3/4" groups at 100 yards (5 shots/bench), with a couple of 1/4 - 3/8" groups at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). a few years later, i sold the barrels because i got bored with it. not harping on 6.5 caliber, but i think it is a real good caliber and it doesn't matter if you use the 6.5CM or 260 Remington or 6.5 Swede.

i had a Remington m760 in 308 Winchester. i'd use 150gr, 165gr, 170gr and 180gr Hornady with many powders. i killed many deer and one black bear (396lbs). then i got bored and sold it. if you want 308 Win speeds, then go to an old cartridge, 7.65x53 Argentine.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have both. Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM. Adirondack in 308.

What’s not to like!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More accurate? Maybe

You CLUELESS Fhuqking Droolers are a hoot! Hint.

Retard Twist Rates,Living Walnut and Blued Finishes are fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep-
I was sure drooling after packing out my 11th bull elk! I had emergency brain surgery 4 years ago and they still can’t escape me!
Spending all this time whacking off to paper targets, b.c.’s, etc is a joke. I’ll just keep stacking animals while you laugh !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it in the manner you NEED most. Hint.

A 264 Kreedmire will simply scoot a .697 BC at 2700fps,with very modest recoil and the 308 has NO "answer". Hint.

Pardon reality and the simple fact that I shoot it all and then some,as you wax eloquent on your Homoerotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You'd need a fhuqking co-signer,for the tape alone. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lol-
The only person fhuqking laughing is the girl in front of you when you remove your pants-

You are a condescending clown as I have watched you try to crap on everyone in this forum. Who gives a crap about hitting a target that’s holding still at 600-900 yards. It holds still. Once you dial it in, it’s pretty much cruise control. Seriously? I gave one of my buddies a rifle of mine and called out his holds and he hit a 16” piece of steel on his first 5 shots. He had never shot at that distance before that day. I could have him confident at 600-800 yards in a half hour. Seriously, it’s not that big of a deal. BTW, that is with an 8 power scope on a m4.
Can you eat that target? Who gives a crap about your hand loading? You think you are the only one that can load ammunition?
You don’t know my history or my understanding of ballistics, military ballistics experience, commercial ammunition loading experience, etc..
None of that plays a role in hunting.
Thanks for the video of you beating up your rifle and trying to treat everyone like they are beneath you smile
Likely that shooting mat is the only thing you have laid on in a while lol.
Wash your mouth out and get some manners.
Your mother would be disgusted of you

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Think big Stick upset the cupcake.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by sidepass
Think big Stick upset the cupcake.

Hooked him on the first cast.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
lol-that’s just little girl drama stuff. I’m not pissed at all. Just feel like the members here deserve better treatment than what I’ve seen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Brokedick Crying Karens are a HOOT!...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep Pretending aloud with your GoogleFu. Pardon wares that exist,as you wax eloquent on your Hurt Feeler Reports. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just recognize him as the lying blowhard fraud he is. LOL

All words, 57,000+ posts and absolutely ZERO to show for it. Deceived the ignorant for a while, but even most of them saw the BS after a while.

His "long range hunting" is head shooting a dink buck off the bait pile, and bragging about what a hard charger he is. LOL.

Throw another rifle in the rocks, put a stinky dead fish next to it, drool over big BC and OAL numbers, and look in a mirror and tell yourself you're the best. HINT. It's THE shtick.

farqueen laughing.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Saw a dude on YouTube making 1800 yard shots in 10-12 mph winds with a 308 winchester. He was using berger 200 grain bullets. The rifle was heavy enough, that he'd watch the impacts from the riflescope. He hand measured the bullets and determined that the ballistic coefficient was greater than .700.

I dunno what the handload was, but way out of my league. I've only run 200 grain bullets to 500. Bucked the windy/dusty Tanana badlands pirdy good. I've been loading at least a half dozen different 200 grain 308 win handloads since 2011.

Always chose the 240 bravo machine gun for my gun truck, over the 50 cal, because it was so reliable/convenient. Convenience and familiarity are the 7.62 nato. My gunner was only 5 ft 3 and had a hard time hoisting up a 50 cal to his turret. He'd be 20-30 minutes quicker set-up over the other gunners fking with the 50 cal.

Never could shake the 308 winchester. I've always appreciated what it is.

Manzos Alaskan 308 win load:

46 grains, leverevolution, 200 grain oryx, winchester brass, standard primer: 2600 fps. Bison legal.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/17/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
308 Winchester this October.
95 yards
Public land

All this blowhard long range stuff is for people who aren’t very good at hunting.it seems

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m guessing I could have shot at him a few more times to see what sort of group I got, but I was too busy breaking him down and packing after 1 shot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Never could shake the 308 winchester. I've always appreciated what it is.

............................... cool............................

Ed
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep-It’s a good versatile cartridge-

I posted a picture of my “no answer” 308 results from this year for you lol

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good thing all them moose in Sweden and up north north in Alaska where the sourdoughs hunt with old Mausers don't know how weak the 6.5 bullets are for hunting. Of course, they don't have access to the interwebs, so they aren't up to speed.

The 139 Scenar in a 6.5 Creedmoor is more than equal to the 155 Scenar in a 308.

MRKbass2, have you ever even fired a 6.5 Creedmoor? Let alone hunted with one?

Didn't think so.

Killing power of a creedmoor sucks when you are elk hunting. If anyone wants to chase a wounded elk for a couple miles in thick timber, they are a fool.
Can you kill an elk with a creedmoor at reasonable distance? Yes
Can you also easily lose one at those distances? Yes

Who worries about recoil when you aren’t on a bench?
I can almost guarantee anyone that has shot an elk, and lost one with a creedmoor, now hunts with a 300 wsm or similar lol.
I have been hunting with the same rifle for 30 years. 225 grain partition dumps em every time. I couldn’t give two sh!+s about ballistic coefficients at 600 yards lol.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No-I am proud to say I haven’t been foolish enough to hunt elk with a creedmoor. I also prefer women.
A Lapua scenar is a crap bullet for hunting so I don’t even get the comparison you are trying to make. That is a target bullet, and would be my preference compared to throwing a rock, but that’s about it. I am just stating that all of this B.C. trash talk has absolutely ZERO to do with elk hunting. Unless BC stands for bullet construction, then I am listening. And a moose is an easier kill than an elk for what it’s worth

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Based on the zero moose you've killed? With the zero Scenars you've seen in the field?

You "prefer women" but?

And a moose is an easier kill than an elk for what it’s worth

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Correct-
Zero Scenars.
Nobody around here is foolish to use that thing in the woods. Too many inexperienced people try to judge a bullet performance based on the facts that is drops 2” less at 500 yards. Who gives a crap about that?
Absolutely pointless. I want a bullet to perform when it connects, and Lapua does not make that bullet. Keep thinking what you like. I don’t need to feel like I convinced you. I’ll post more pics next fall of my elk that I shoot.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not trying to convince you of anything.

There is an 85 page thread on this site specifically about killin things with Scenars.

Even elk.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...83/deceased-via-scenar-bullet-pix-please

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you can only choose one of the two calibers assuming your using it for hunting. 308 win is a no brainier. Accuracy is a tie, they can both shoot one hole groups at a 1000 yards. They've been using the .308 as a 1000 yard sniper rifle for years. If the slight more recoil from the .308 is a problem probably should stick to targets. Don't mean that in a bad way.

I wouldn't pay to much attention to Big Stick (little dick/mangina). He/she can give a hint but that's about it. Not capable of giving good explanations or making any sense of anything. He/she thinks he/she is good at belittling people. He/she doesn't realize we can see right through his mental illness. He/she needs to be under psychiatric care and maybe is. I feel sorry for He/she, it must be hard to live with those couple marbles bouncing around between the ears. I wish he/she the best, maybe someday you'll make some progress between the ears and be able to communicate like rest of us. Not like me to speak so unChristian like but he/she needs to get the message that it's hard going through life being an a55hole.

Good luck with your choice.

Adams

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A hunter needs several of each, both kill well if a good shot is made.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm wondering how many of you guys have actually shot similar rifles chambered for these cartridges, side by side. Just to see how they compare? Say, even out to 400 yards. Doesn't even have to be out to 1,000.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bsa what rifle is that? If you aren't careful about the pics you post the short barrel whiners club (swbc) gonna ban your ass..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My local range has targets at 1-600 yards. I practice at 400 2-3 times a month with multiple rifles in 223/5.56, 243,6.5 grendel, 260,7-08,308, 7RM, 35 Whelen. Obviously the whelen drops the most, but when a 225 partition whacks that steel you can see the ability lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bsa what rifle is that? If you aren't careful about the pics you post the short barrel whiners club (swbc) gonna ban your ass..mb

The one on the closest bench is my Winchester heavy barrel varmint chambered in 308 win. The rifle on the far bench is my Tikka CTR in Mcmillan A3 Edge stock, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think that was where I asked, how many guys have actually shot both cartridges side by side. It doesn't even have to be out to 1,000 yards, but even to 400 yards. See which one performs better, under the same conditions. I believe the OP was about which one is actually more inherently accurate, or which one shoots better. As I and others have said, the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically for longrange target shooting. Developed by creedmoor sports and partnered with Hornady. The naysayers can deny that, but that was the intent of the cartridge. It edges out the 308 winchester in performance, as that is what it was designed to do. Guys that continue to deny that, are living in a dreamers world.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I buy that theory bsa and like both . I have a win 88 and a rem 760 in 308 they didn't make them in 6.5's but have plenty of bolt guns in both and like them. People on the fire only see virtue in sticking their opinions up everyone else ass are the problem.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why the hell is this in a forum dedicated to reloading?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good post BSA.👍

Liberalism is a cancer
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drop_point

Perhaps because it is clearly relevant.

Liberalism is a cancer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't see the 6.5 creedmoor edging out the 308 winchester anywhere. Hopefully im not "dreaming" here.

This is a big game rifle reloading forum, which the 6.5 obviously will not edge out the 308 winchester, especially on really big game.

But if we must get caught up on this long range and bench-only stuff: Has anyone on here actually shot a fast twist, heavy barrel 308 winchester using 200+ grain bullets, against the usual 6.5 creedmoor bullets?

One guy claimed the 200 grain bergers bucked winds better out at 1800 yds, than anything the 6.5 creed shoots (read his video description). He claimed his biggest challenge, was the WINDS, not the minor differences in trajectory.

I made sure to comment in the video: "the 6.5 douch nozzle will never exceed the 308"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You asked for cartridge comparison, nothing about reloading.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Reloading is clearly part of comparing cartridges for those of us who reload. 😂

Liberalism is a cancer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yet you didn't mention reloading at all. Why not if that is where your interest lies?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Having never shot the .308 or the 6.5 CM to 1800 yards, but have shot them both to 1000 yards using several different bullets and powder combinations, my experience has been the 308 is like shooting a mortar compared to the 6.5 CM with comparable bullets. YMMA Rio7

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Yet you didn't mention reloading at all. Why not if that is where your interest lies?

Because I trust many people have a broad understanding that encompasses many elements of the topic. Including reloading and otherwise.

Liberalism is a cancer
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I buy that theory bsa and like both . I have a win 88 and a rem 760 in 308 they didn't make them in 6.5's but have plenty of bolt guns in both and like them. People on the fire only see virtue in sticking their opinions up everyone else ass are the problem.

I agree. I think it's because they are very biased because that is what they use and know. Like I said, they probably don't actually compare them side by side, in real world conditions. The reason that 308 was on one bench, and the 6.5 on the other is because I really wanted it to whoop up on the 6.5, yet still I shoot with no bias. I was hoping to take it to a longrange match, but it would be a handicap. That damn winchester shoots pretty good though. Until the wind started howling. I was even running a 175 SMK in the 308, to try to make things as fair as possible. The rifle loves that bullet. I'd also like to point out that I shoot with some guys that run the 308w in competition. They do well with it, but I have seen them fall apart, when the wind blows. Then on the other spectrum, you have the guys running the 6mm's giving them schidt (friendly of course). Those fast 6's shine in bad conditions. We hear it often that they don't even have to adjust their hold, then I look down at my 6.5 and think maybe I should try a 6GT.

These comparisons are always fun, but then it becomes a pissing match because the guys that only use one will get mad, because we point out why one is a little better than the other.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RIO7
Having never shot the .308 or the 6.5 CM to 1800 yards, but have shot them both to 1000 yards using several different bullets and powder combinations, my experience has been the 308 is like shooting a mortar compared to the 6.5 CM with comparable bullets. YMMA Rio7

That is what it seems like to me as well. Great description RIO7.. Maybe I'm using the wrong bullet? Figured a 175 SMK would be about right in the little case, yet still have a good BC. Besides, I'm maxed out on the 20 moa rail and NF scope at 1,000. That's another issue when running the darling 308win. Step up to a 200gr pill to gain BC, and that issue gets even worse.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post BSA.👍

Thanks Dixie Rebel. All I can do is share my experiences. I do a lot of side by side comparisons. To me, that tells me the most about different rifles, cartridges, loads, bullet weights, scopes, etc. etc... I shoot a lot in the wind, in really cold temps and hot weather as well. Besides shooting with a lot of pretty good long range competitors. Nothing tells the story like a bullet on target...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like the 30-06 a point in favor to me is inexpensive brass. Lot of 308 floating around for a good price. Local Scheels had 50 ct boxes of Hornady 6.5 C for $43 a box the other day that would be $172 for 200 pcs. I didn't have a real need for anymore but when I spotted 200 once fired Hornady 6.5 C cases for 50 bucks I bought them. Like 308's 6.5 C is everywhere you look and you know that's a big plus..mb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We shot yesterday at 620yds on 6”, 8” and 12” steel.

1 - 6.5 cm tikka 20” ctr - 140 eldm @ 2530fps
1 - 6arc savage 18” tactical- 105 hpbt @ 2490fps
2 - 308 win Rem 700 heavy barrel and an ar10 of some flavor. 168 smk in both

The guy with the 308’s struggled the most, winds were 12-20mph shifting quarter to and broadside right to left. Obviously other factors come into play when shooting but he has 3 hits in 30 shots on the 12” plate. He didn’t have much experience in longer range shooting but I gave him my ctr and he went 9/9 with it, he’d never shot the rifle prior to that.

One of my .308’s is going to be a 6cm soon.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

The guy with the 308’s struggled the most, winds were 12-20mph shifting quarter to and broadside right to left. Obviously other factors come into play when shooting but he has 3 hits in 30 shots on the 12” plate. He didn’t have much experience in longer range shooting but I gave him my ctr and he went 9/9 with it, he’d never shot the rifle prior to that.

Good post H. Be aware that the 6cm barrel life is very short. Some of the guys I shoot with have had them, then ultimately go back to the 6.5. I'm talking about 1,100 rounds and that's about it. One of the big downfalls to the fast 6mm's. You should also look into the 6GT vs. the 6CM. That GT is a pretty wicked little cartridge.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That is what it seems like to me as well. Great description RIO7.. Maybe I'm using the wrong bullet? Figured a 175 SMK would be about right in the little case, yet still have a good BC. Besides, I'm maxed out on the 20 moa rail and NF scope at 1,000. That's another issue when running the darling 308win. Step up to a 200gr pill to gain BC, and that issue gets even worse.

What velocity are you getting with that 175? I think you should need roughly 40 moa of up, so you should only need 20 out of the scope.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

What velocity are you getting with that 175? I think you should need roughly 40 moa of up, so you should only need 20 out of the scope.

You'd think huh. I'm running right on the edge of 2700 (2690 fps) in the 26" barrel. Got it fairly zeroed at 100, which is what I like.
Tested in extreme cold, and also hotter temps:

It's a pretty stable load, from the testing I've done. I don't want a 200 yard zero, or some other nonsense like that, because I still shoot a lot at 100 yards.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Good post H. Be aware that the 6cm barrel life is very short. Some of the guys I shoot with have had them, then ultimately go back to the 6.5. I'm talking about 1,100 rounds and that's about it. One of the big downfalls to the fast 6mm's. You should also look into the 6GT vs. the 6CM. That GT is a pretty wicked little cartridge.

Yeah I knew there was a pretty short span on the 6cm. I shoot with a guy using a 6GT and it’s pretty sweet. He said he’s had hits at 1 mile with it on a 20-24” plate. I won’t be shooting the 6cm a ton as I’ll have it and my 6.5cm but it will be something to mess with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yeah I knew there was a pretty short span on the 6cm. I shoot with a guy using a 6GT and it’s pretty sweet. He said he’s had hits at 1 mile with it on a 20-24” plate. I won’t be shooting the 6cm a ton as I’ll have it and my 6.5cm but it will be something to mess with.

Nice. I had the same thoughts with one of my CTR's. I have 2 near identical rifles. One I shoot mainly 140 ELD match bullets in, and the other I shoot 147's in. Like I've told you before, the 147 really shines in the wind buddy. However, I still run 140's in my M&P10 Performance Center, and that rifle just shoots!!! I was hoping to use that in a longrange speed match I did 2 saturdays ago, but the match director said I had to single load it!!!!@@@!!! Ha ha. Well, it's not a true "speed" match then!!! That AR10 would have smoked those targets out to 800 yards.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Something must be off with the setup.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Nice. I had the same thoughts with one of my CTR's. I have 2 near identical rifles. One I shoot mainly 140 ELD match bullets in, and the other I shoot 147's in. Like I've told you before, the 147 really shines in the wind buddy. However, I still run 140's in my M&P10 Performance Center, and that rifle just shoots!!! I was hoping to use that in a longrange speed match I did 2 saturdays ago, but the match director said I had to single load it!!!!@@@!!! Ha ha. Well, it's not a true "speed" match then!!! That AR10 would have smoked those targets out to 800 yards.

I tried the 147’s from my American Predator and they shot amazing at 100yds but when I went out to 600 they were 12-15” consistently. Another guy I shoot with had similar results with 147’s, maybe we both just got bad batches.

I need to revisit them but I’ve had such good luck with the 140’s I’ve not tried the 147 again.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting thread, I have found the 6 CM does not burn barrels unless you hot rod it keep the fps under 3000 fps and the barrels last surprising long time,I have 1 with over 3500 rounds down the tube and it still shoots lights out. YMMV--- Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suspect the rate of fire and number of shots in a string are the biggest factor. Powder selection has a role as well in my experience with other cartridges...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have h4350, h4831 and h1000 to try in my 6cm. I’ve had great luck with h1000 in my 243 so I may try it first.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS

Something must be off with the setup.

Sure it is. It gets me out to 1,000. That is all I really care about. Even though it's lacking in other departments. Like RIO said, the 308 is more like a mortar round, than a precision instrument. I'll use what works, and shoot the 308 when it doesn't matter as much. The new saying, "it is what it is", applies.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much vertical travel does the scope have?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I tried the 147’s from my American Predator and they shot amazing at 100yds but when I went out to 600 they were 12-15” consistently. Another guy I shoot with had similar results with 147’s, maybe we both just got bad batches.

I need to revisit them but I’ve had such good luck with the 140’s I’ve not tried the 147 again.

Maybe your rifles just don't like them. They will generally shoot 1" groups at 400. On a very calm day about a month ago, I was running them out to 1,000. Walking it up incrementally, like I do most times. Shot enough at 600 yards with no misses on 10" plate, the same at 700 and 800, so at 900, I got dialed in and rang the 10" steel plate numerous times. When I got to the 1,000 yard plates, I zeroed in on the big plate, and sent 3 to the 10" steel plate. Group looked to be about 3", so I packed up and called it a day. Good enough for the girls I hang out with.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How much vertical travel does the scope have?

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With a 20 moa rail there was only 33 moa of up available from a 100 yard zero?

Am I seeing it right?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Am I seeing it right?

Yes, you are seeing that right. Why does it always seem like you and some of the others here are trying to catch me in a lie or something? The rifle is staying just as it is. The way it is set up is fine. This is about cartridges. We all know you love the 308, but indeed it does have its limitations. Whether you want to admit that, that is up to you.

You are also more than welcome to post some pics, and let us know how your beloved 308's do. I'd really welcome that. It may be an eye opener. I've shown some pretty small groups shot at 400 yards on paper and steel, with the 6.5. Show us some of your 308 targets. Thanks!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Maybe your rifles just don't like them. They will generally shoot 1" groups at 400. On a very calm day about a month ago, I was running them out to 1,000. Walking it up incrementally, like I do most times. Shot enough at 600 yards with no misses on 10" plate, the same at 700 and 800, so at 900, I got dialed in and rang the 10" steel plate numerous times. When I got to the 1,000 yard plates, I zeroed in on the big plate, and sent 3 to the 10" steel plate. Group looked to be about 3", so I packed up and called it a day. Good enough for the girls I hang out with.

If mine would have shot them like that I’d have a pile of them, lol. My batch and the batch the other guy had trouble with were bought at the same store around the same time, maybe they were weird. I think I remember reading where guys had some trouble with them early on?

Sounds like I need to hunt up another box to test.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
The bullet testing can get CRAZY, I have all kinds of 1/2 empty boxes of bullets that just didn't work well for me, now when I find a Bullet and Load that works real well for what I plan on using it for I stop! my curiosity is satisfied. Rio7

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Am I seeing it right?

Yes, you are seeing that right. Why does it always seem like you and some of the others here are trying to catch me in a lie or something? The rifle is staying just as it is. The way it is set up is fine. This is about cartridges. We all know you love the 308, but indeed it does have its limitations. Whether you want to admit that, that is up to you.

You are also more than welcome to post some pics, and let us know how your beloved 308's do. I'd really welcome that. It may be an eye opener. I've shown some pretty small groups shot at 400 yards on paper and steel, with the 6.5. Show us some of your 308 targets. Thanks!!!

Slow down man, you're way off base. I'm simply confused about why with a 20 moa base and a Nightforce scope you can't dial 40 minutes of up from a 100 yard zero. That's it.

I just went to the Nightforce website and looked at several models. Of those I checked the one with the least elevation adjustment range still showed 80 moa. When centered, that's 40 up and 40 down. Combine that with a 20 moa base and now there's 60 up and 20 down. This should allow for finding 100 yard zero and still leave plenty to add the roughly 40 moa to get the 308 out to 1000. Honestly, I'm just trying to understand the situation.

Furthermore, I'm very well aware that 140 grain hybrid target Bergers out of my my 700 5R Milspec in 6.5 drop and drift less than the various 308 loads I shoot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mathman; 12/25/23. Reason: better sentence edit
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I picked up a box of those Berger hybrid target bullets at a gunshow here awhile back same as yours care to share what powder you are using?
Merry Christmas too.mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/25/23.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Am I seeing it right?

Slow down man, you're way off base. I'm simply confused about why with a 20 moa base and a Nightforce scope you can't dial 40 minutes of up from a 100 yard zero. That's it.

I just went to the Nightforce website and looked at several models. Of those I checked the one with the least elevation adjustment range still showed 80 moa. When centered, that's 40 up and 40 down. Combine that with a 20 moa base and now there's 60 up and 20 down. This should allow for finding 100 yard zero and still leave plenty to add the roughly 40 moa to get the 308 out to 1000. Honestly, I'm just trying to understand the situation.

Furthermore, I'm very well aware that 140 grain hybrid target Bergers out of my my 700 5R Milspec in 6.5 drop and drift less than the various 308 loads I shoot.

[Linked Image]

It's kind of a pisser for sure. When I set it up, I was thinking if it got me out to 1,000 yards, I'd be happy. Maybe the 20 moa rail is not a true 20 moa rail? That is all I can figure. I had to take the first one back, because the packaging said winchester short action, when it was really for a WSM!!! I guess I didn't want to go through the hassle again, since I bought that one in Reno, which is 170 miles from my house. I do know that the scope tracks very well, and is pretty much spot on, as you can see from the tall target test I did last month. Here's the ballistics chart I use, showing it's pretty much spot on with what the calculator says it should be:

In a way, it's not bad if I dial all the way up I know I'm at 1,000 yards. It's like a zero stop for 1,000 yards. Or I can dial 12 or 13, and use the reticle. it's not a big deal, either way.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I picked up a box of those Berger hybrid target bullets at a gunshow here awhile back same as yours care to share what powder you are using?
Merry Christmas too.mb

Merry Christmas!

I've only shot the factory ammo with those.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
So did they give you one hole groups? I've got superformance, h4350, rl-16 and stabill 6.5 what would you try first.? And yeah happy holidays..
Mb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That factory stuff shoots great.

I shoot 4350, both H and IMR, with the other bullets I've loaded. Nothing against the other powders you mentioned, I simply haven't gone outside of the 4350 family much at all.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BSA,

Wow, that .496 ballistic coefficient of that 175 grain smk is abysmal at best. From a 26" barrel, the velocity of your handload is mediocre as well. Ive literally spelled out to you, what powder gives max velocity in the 308. Ive been seeking the 308 max for over a decade, essentially loading/testing every flavor of 200 grain hunting bullet ever made. To put this in perspective, a silly 200 grain hot cor flat base spitzer has a .556 BC!

Honestly BSA, you're a very devoted handloader and precision shooter. I'm certain that you, over anyone else, should be able to extract much more long range performance from the 308, before you tip your hat to the 6.5 creed. You're not even devoted to giving the 308 winchester a fair handshake. You sht on the 308 all the time, in favor of the 30-06. I've even seen you opine that a 200 grain bullet is too long for the 308?

You can fix this stubborn ignorance if you want to do the work.

You cannot deny the massive, decades long library of accomplishments from the 308 winchester. It's truly bizarre, that less case capacity and a few degrees difference in shoulder angle, would matter that much. I think it's marketing rubbish at best. A precision barrel with match chamber dimensions, and proper rifling, there's really no 6.5 creed advantage. Almost all serious barrel makers have decades of history, building 308 barrels.

Does your 308 even have a 1:10" barrel? Wasn't that model a 1:12" barrel? Non of this silly business 1:11" tikka 1:12" winchester. As much shopping as you do, the 1:10" 308's are so common, you could literally sleep-walk into one for purchase. Common dude!

Serious guys that are shooting lots of 308 at extended range, aren't using silly, low bc rubbish. Anyhow, they're in stock and available if you want to do the work:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW I know a National Champion FTR shooter who uses the 215 grain Bergers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'd guess out of the longer barrels they aren't exactly slow either are they Mike?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mike,
Back in 2002-2005, I had lived on Ft Richardson Alaska. The old 425 beluga ave military housing has long since been torn down.

Our 501st neighbor won the sniper combat challenge in 2002 and 2004.

It was filmed on outdoor life network, so we got to watch it. Nato forces from other nations competed. Our entire housing complex rooted for him like it was NFL football! He deployed alot. When I wasn't deployed, I snow-blowed the entire unit and would clean snow off and move the spouses cars and shovel steps/porches. He thanked me when he'd get back, and we'd look over couple of his rifles. Yep......that 7.62 Nato was the bread n butter rifle.

I can't belive the level of bllsht these 6.5 caliber, pipe-dream gun authors have puked in the gun magazines. Do these fkn idiots know where the .308 has been?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

I'd guess out of the longer barrels they aren't exactly slow either are they Mike?

I'll confirm Thursday if I remember to ask, but I'd guess 2550 FPS. They do arc up much higher than a 155 at 3010 FPS, easy to miss the trace at first.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'll confirm Thursday if I remember to ask, but I'd guess 2550 FPS. They do arc up much higher than a 155 at 3010 FPS, easy to miss the trace at first.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate it. Even 2550 isn't exactly slow for such a slippery bullet.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Mike,
Back in 2002-2005, I had lived on Ft Richardson Alaska. The old 425 beluga ave military housing has long since been torn down.

Our 501st neighbor won the sniper combat challenge in 2002 and 2004.

It was filmed on outdoor life network, so we got to watch it. Nato forces from other nations competed. Our entire housing complex rooted for him like it was NFL football! He deployed alot. When I wasn't deployed, I snow-blowed the entire unit and would clean snow off and move the spouses cars and shovel steps/porches. He thanked me when he'd get back, and we'd look over couple of his rifles. Yep......that 7.62 Nato was the bread n butter rifle.

I can't belive the level of bllsht these 6.5 caliber, pipe-dream gun authors have puked in the gun magazines. Do these fkn idiots know where the .308 has been?

I'm certainly not there yet, but I have friends who regularly win big matches with Palma rifles shooting against the any/any rifles. A lot to be said for mastering one bullet at one speed exclusively with regards to wind. I've been squadded with them and seen it in action.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mainer,

The Speer BC for that bullet is bullshit.

M

I should mention the Berger 144 in 6.5 has a G7 BC of .336.

Last edited by mathman; 12/25/23. Reason: Added text
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do hunt here a lot with my 6.5-06 for our little Coues deer, but I do not consider the 6.5 as magical as many here...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I do hunt here a lot with my 6.5-06 for our little Coues deer, but I do not consider the 6.5 as magical as many here...

Probably a pretty nice shooting package though. If I remember right, it's darned near like my P64 06. The 6.5 version would likely be pretty nice.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It definitely is, but everything drifts in the wind. I'm just not in the same camp as one prolific poster here who once proclaimed " A 1 moa target at any range, in any wind is a cake walk for any of my 6.5 Creedmoors" ... grin.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

I have a 6.5-06, perfect for whitetail in central Texas

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco

I have a 6.5-06, perfect for whitetail in central Texas

They do work well don't they? Mine will have new barrel on it shortly.

Last edited by MikeS; 12/25/23.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6.5 Kreed' 147 ELD-M Factory Fodder,wears a .697 G1 BC. I hear good thangs,though roll my own. Hint.

Physics reliably hurts tender feelers. Hint................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your enthusiasm is noted. Can't imagine it "wears" that "exciting" BC number for long though with such a leisurely launch speed. I've had a Physics class or three... and learned thangs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I squirt 'em at 2700fps+,from more than a few rifles so chambered,with less than zero Emotional attachment or Imagination. The beauty of BC,is that advantages start at the muzzle and only get better,as they exit and head down range. That,in non lineal fashion. Hint.

Spent Primers Are THE Supreme Tutorial and you "get" to read about it. Hint.

Here...now you can say you've "seen" one,which makes this a very BIG Day,for someone like you. Hint.

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,raher than giving"answers". Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A picture of a cartridge... how cool as that!

What is the BC of your 147 grain bullet at the 175 yard line?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeS; 12/26/23.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Droolers are a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

Said melding,is "only" Supersonic to 1500yds++,in this morning's atmosphere. Hint.

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But you didn't answer my question...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Help me to understand why this matters?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But you didn't answer my question...

Imitation remains THE most Sincere form of Flattery and your only "move",as you tread water and suck ass. Hint.

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll assume you don't know the answer to my question then. I am curious about the atmospherics you show in JBM though, not what I pictured for your location.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Droolers are a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
6.5 Kreed' 147 ELD-M Factory Fodder,wears a .697 G1 BC. I hear good thangs,though roll my own. Hint.

Physics reliably hurts tender feelers. Hint................

This is an amazing combo. I do not shoot, nor pick apart nearly as many loads as you do, but for my needs, the 147 loaded to 2745fps, does not make deer very happy. They also are incredibly accurate in both of my Creeds, and the one .260 that I have tried them in. Win, win.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the picture, but still not looking like the 0% humidity in your JBM data.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a great melding,that will keep a guy out of trouble,near and far. Hint.

They've done exceptionally on Brown Bear,Grizzly,Black Bear,Mooseses,Elk,Caribouski,Goats,Sheep,Woofs and all flavors of Venison. It's an EASY default button to mash and has stolen the stage in these part and folks I know. Nobody has stepped up and changed course. Hint.

I shoot 'em in Kreed,260,260AI,6.5-06 and 264Win. They are best in the Kreed',because you can't drive them fast enough to compromise penetration,even at spittin' distances. They reliably hurt the very Tender Feelers of Drooling Dumbfhuqks and that never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.................(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the picture, but still not looking like the 0% humidity in your JBM data.

Sweetheart,

Feel free to enter the values,that satiate your Raging Estrogen Levels the best. Then simply pop (3) Midol and insert 1000cc's of Vagisil in your usual locations,as you Re-Hissy your Fit and talk out your Amazingly Fhuqking CLUELESS Ass. You Drooling Dumbfhuqks are a hoot! Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Help me to understand why this matters?

[Linked Image]

Because he’s only shooting out to 175 yards?

BC Is just a number, matters to some but not most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just curious as to how many understand that at 175 yards it is no longer the .697 G1 as quoted but is lower. At 300 yards it is lower still. I'm not one to get too hung up on minute differences in mfr. provided BCs. The air density you are shooting through is something to pay attention to though as ranges extend.

Last edited by MikeS; 12/26/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks Mike. Appreciate it. Even 2550 isn't exactly slow for such a slippery bullet.

2550 FPS +/- depending on powder lot. N150 in a long throated FTR chamber. Wouldn't work in a typical .308 hunting rifle magazine.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mike,

A distinction without a difference.

The difference in BC at 175 vs at the muzzle is so trivial that it plays an insignificant role in where the bullet lands, all things being equal.

Maybe comes into play for a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor past 600, depending on bullet and speed. On deer sized game, the shooter and the animal will never be able to tell the difference in point of impact due to BC variables from 0 to 600 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Mike,

A distinction without a difference.

The difference in BC at 175 vs at the muzzle is so trivial that it plays an insignificant role in where the bullet lands, all things being equal.

Maybe comes into play for a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor past 600, depending on bullet and speed. On deer sized game, the shooter and the animal will never be able to tell the difference in point of impact due to BC variables from 0 to 600 yards.

David,
Exactly, that is the point and why I said to not get too hung up on minute BC differences. Selecting one bullet because it has a slightly higher published BC than another brand is often a distinction without a difference in real world applications. Kind of like seeing hunting rifle groups measured to a thousandths of an inch.

And then there is the individual bullet to bullet BC variation.

Last edited by MikeS; 12/28/23.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A $20 bill,is never not bigger than a $10 bill,no matter the pitch or frequency of the Whine. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But those don't blow up mid flight like the Hornadys can and do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Besides being a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk,you are a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,if you say you “blew up” a .697 BC 147gr ala Kreed’. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not blown one up, don't shoot that cartridge, but that does not mean I have not been squadded with shooters in matches that have.. The 7mm 180s have an even worse reputation.

Perhaps it is your dry climate that keeps it from happening in your location

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I “only” shoot the .284” .796 BC 180 in 7-08,7-08AI,Mouser,284Win,280,280AI and 7mmRemMag,though I keep meaning to build a 284 Kreed’. I’ve yet to zook one and have probably only shot 15,000 or so. Barely get 180” of rain. You are doing “GREAT!”. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "dry climate" was referring to the atmospheric data you provided earlier in this thread, I took you at your word... guess you were doing just OK that day.

I can only post what I have seen at my local ranges, which host some big matches BTW. Great they are working so well for you.

Apparently others have had similar experiences.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hornady-147-eldm-blowing-up.7013159/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/147-ELDMs-Blowing-Up-Finally-caught-up-to-me-/10-9707/

A lot of other reports out there as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As plainly cited prior,simply plug any/all values that soothe your Raging Estrogen Levels and simply extrapolate in kind. Pardon my simply shooting wares that exist,as you GoogleFu your Pretendathon. Hint.

You AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqks never disappoint,by simply doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ELDMs may be the Leupolds of match bullets. Some have no issues at all with them while others do. The guys that lose 10 points to a bullet blow up on the first day of a multi day match are in for a long weekend. The guys that lose an animal to a scope issue feel the same.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ELDM is far and away,the projectile I shoot most often. I’ve only had 100+ Reupold’s though. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
littel twigg only shoots is his mouth when he is window licking at the hard wear store

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wind him up and watch him go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist,stumping Brokedick Whining Fhuqks. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd pick .308 on the basis that it recoils more. Once you can consistently shoot heavy full-power .308 loads into a tiny group, then you can shoot just about any hunting cartridge accurately and the recoil won't bother you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wind him up and watch him go.
He's kinda like the Slinky toy we used to get at Christmas. Take him to the top of the stairs, give him a shove and watch him go.

It's great fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm simply the guy that shoots it all and then some,as you Crying Kchunts Whine Aloud,with your GoogleFu and Pretend,while "living" vicariously. Hint.

Fortunately for you gals,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"(albeit only with stolen pics) you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardons exceptional wares,which simply exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm simply the guy that shoots it all and then some,as you Crying Kchunts Whine Aloud,with your GoogleFu and Pretend,while "living" vicariously. Hint.

Fortunately for you gals,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"(albeit only with stolen pics) you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardons exceptional wares,which simply exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
Gals such as yourself, find recoil a little bit "disconcerting" in anything much more than your .22 ARC imitation.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm late to this discussion, but I've shot and hunted with both cartridges and would give the edge to the 6.5 Creedmoor for accuracy and shootability. They're both very accurate cartridges, but the .308 recoils a little more and is thus slightly harder to shoot precisely. And of course the Creedmoor propels high BC bullets to reasonable velocity much more easily.

As far as efficacy for hunting, for animals up to deer size I prefer the Creedmoor, but for larger game I would prefer the .308 for its bigger bullets and greater energy. Clearly, shot placement and bullet performance are the most important factors in killing game effectively, but we're splitting hairs here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I'm late to this discussion, but I've shot and hunted with both cartridges and would give the edge to the 6.5 Creedmoor for accuracy and shootability. They're both very accurate cartridges, but the .308 recoils a little more and is thus slightly harder to shoot precisely. And of course the Creedmoor propels high BC bullets to reasonable velocity much more easily.

As far as efficacy for hunting, for animals up to deer size I prefer the Creedmoor, but for larger game I would prefer the .308 for its bigger bullets and greater energy. Clearly, shot placement and bullet performance are the most important factors in killing game effectively, but we're splitting hairs here.
A breath of fresh air..... good common sense post and spot on

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Energy" is a contrived Blue Haired Cat Lady Notion. Impact velocity,wind drift and relative "shootability",matter more than a whole fhuqking BUNCH. Hint.

A Kreedly 147 will retain 1500fps impact well beyond the 1000yd line. It will make 1000ft lbs of "energy",well beyond the 800yd line. It is fhuqking SINISTER,when it comes to fending atmospherics and the melding in summation,simply kicks the fhuqk out of the 308,from any/all angles. Hint.

Imitation remains THE most Sincere form of Flattery and NOTHING is fhuqking funnier than Imaginary Pretend Ignore! Hint.

Brokedick Crying CLUELESS Kchunts,crack me the fhuqk up. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would take a 7mm08 over either of them

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
you clowns are sure beating this to death aren't you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are just new to this game and ain’t got a bunch of iron in the safe buy em both. BTW I thought the .308;was begat by the 300 savage?

1. If you live/ hunt near bears that will attack you. During the apocalypse you plan on scrounging for ammo on your Twinkie search. You are homophobic. You like only numbers in threes.

Buy the .308 first.

2. No bears, don’t care about others opinions. Can afford ammo. Likes to shoot,kids,wives etc like to shoot. Mostly deer hunting. BTW I thought in a round about way the creedmore was begat by the 300 savage?

Buy the creedmore first

3 If you are hesitant and not sure.

Consider the 300 savage

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/31/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Toss up for me except inside 150 yards I'd prefer the 308 mainly due to bullet issues I've experienced with the 6.5 creedmoor

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The 308 stands alone in all of its capabilities.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Energy" is a contrived Blue Haired Cat Lady Notion. Impact velocity,wind drift and relative "shootability",matter more than a whole fhuqking BUNCH. Hint.

A Kreedly 147 will retain 1500fps impact well beyond the 1000yd line. It will make 1000ft lbs of "energy",well beyond the 800yd line. It is fhuqking SINISTER,when it comes to fending atmospherics and the melding in summation,simply kicks the fhuqk out of the 308,from any/all angles. Hint. No

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

TRUTH

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

That’s why there is a special class for the .308 Winchester

It can’t compete with ballistically superior rounds

👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This covers all arguments so far---Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP’s. One in 308 and the other in 6.5 CM. As of right now the 308 is more accurate. The 308’s best 3 shot group at 100 yards is .179 MOA shooting a Hammer HHT 154 gr. bullet. The 6.5 CM’s is .679 MOA at 100 shooting a Barnes 100 gr. TTSX. The 6.5 CM loads were actually made for my kids and they are reduced recoil and I know I can do better then that with a full power load. I just ordered 200 Hammer 80 gr. HHT’s to try out at full throttle for the 6.5 CM. This season I’ve killed 15 deer and 3 coyotes with the 308 and my oldest son has killed 3 deer with it. I have a custom built 6.5 CM that my son has killed 12 deer with during the 2 previous seasons with no issues and great results. For me it would really be hard to pick one over the other for killing deer sized game to be honest. With that being said my limited experience is with killing stuff and not punching holes in paper at far distances.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great pic of the boys and the Buck!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Reloder28

That’s why there is a special class for the .308 Winchester

It can’t compete with ballistically superior rounds

👍🏼

You are correct. It was not designed to do so.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It does make it easy to spot the forum dipshits though. They’re the ones actually arguing over yet another 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 thread.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.