-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear some folks can smell schools of fish while on the boat, brim and such smell like watermelon.

M aybe you need to find a feller like that to be your fishin' pardner?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 19352012
I look at the prices on the fancy electronics whenever I wander through the store and think, wow, I'm lucky that I have skill and don't have to pay for junk like that.

🤣

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I hear some folks can smell schools of fish while on the boat, brim and such smell like watermelon.

M aybe you need to find a feller like that to be your fishin' pardner?

Yeah. Someone that can hold his breath a long time while you hold him head down underwater over the side. Side scanners are all the rage, I understand. Over the stern or bow is old school. smile

I've been looking atinexpensuve heap depth-finders myself. The Garmin 4 looks reasonable for what I want for halibut fishing near-shore. Less than 200, probably less than 100 feet depth Once I find a spot I can waypoint it. If I can find the Etrex....

Last edited by las; 12/11/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag
So I'm looking for a new fish finder and I need side scan sonar, I look at new and DAMN, They're proud of them so I go looking at used, I don't mind buying used but it had be a dang good discount.

No discounts to be had, everyone wants within 100.00 or less of new price. The ones I really get a kick out of is the ones that have just the display head, no power cord or transducer. Their excuse, "I sold the boat with the wiring in it"..........Yeah sure you fugging thief!

I ended up ordering a Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV, anyone have one? How do you like it?

A lot of the bass boat guys are running 4 plus screens.... you can purchase a control head only with no transducer because you may want to run multi screen but only need one transducer.

The transducer is a big deal..... can easily cost 3-500 bucks.... also, the head can be a sonar only or down imaging plus sonar or all three.... it's complicated..... the new thing is "live" imaging which all three big companies have a version of. You have to decide what feature is the most important and go that route if you're only gonna run one screen.... a lot of bass guys running multiple brands to get the best of each.
Humminbird has the best lake maps (Lake Master).... it's like a bad azz topo map and they have more lakes in their database than anyone. They also have really good down/side imaging.
Garmin is the best when it comes to live imaging.... they have been ahead of the others but they aren't far behind.
Lowrance has always had really good 2d sonar but I'm not a fan of their maps.

We haven't even talked about MEGA imaging or CHIRP or ACTIVE IMAGINGING.....LOL. It has gotten beyond crazy..... really hard to recommend a unit for someone else.... best is to just watch a lot of YouTube videos and read as much as you can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just run Helix 5's with GPS.

I use them to locate, fishy transition areas, to hunt for fish.

If I find good fish, location is way pointed.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 12344mag
So I'm looking for a new fish finder and I need side scan sonar, I look at new and DAMN, They're proud of them so I go looking at used, I don't mind buying used but it had be a dang good discount.

No discounts to be had, everyone wants within 100.00 or less of new price. The ones I really get a kick out of is the ones that have just the display head, no power cord or transducer. Their excuse, "I sold the boat with the wiring in it"..........Yeah sure you fugging thief!

I ended up ordering a Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV, anyone have one? How do you like it?

I have been trying to decide between the 7sv and the 9sv. You can get a refurbished 9sv on amazon for around $475. I am leaning in that direction.

2 Kings 2:23-24
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The cheapest stuff now is better than the best stuff 15 years ago. Fish finders have come a long ways. Garmin, like everything else is good. Can't buy instincts though.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=Calvin]The cheapest stuff now is better than the best stuff 15 years ago. Fish finders have come a long ways. Garmin, like everything else is good. Can't buy instincts though.[/quote

or my standard fallback - pure dumb luck! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
The cheapest stuff now is better than the best stuff 15 years ago. Fish finders have come a long ways. Garmin, like everything else is good. Can't buy instincts though.

Truth right there^^

We upgraded some 18+ year old stuff that was top of the line back then...world of difference.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by 19352012
I look at the prices on the fancy electronics whenever I wander through the store and think, wow, I'm lucky that I have skill and don't have to pay for junk like that.

When I look at NW Iowa, I'm very glad that I dont need a fish finder in those puddles. When you get some water that I can't wade across, let me know so we can find a good spot.

Thanks.
Brian

Last edited by Beagler410; 12/12/23.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, Bigd7378, Anaconda, 11 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,544
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.