Campfire Regular
Have always been impressed with Steiners. Solid as a tank

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have one scope with a BDC reticle. It's a Swarovski z5 with a BRH:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I found this reticle to be very useful because it taught me that I'm definitely a fan of simple reticles. That's why it's the only one I own. But I can see why some shooters might find it useful depending on the type of shooting they're doing & the environment they're in. I think my "dislike" of this type of view is more an indication of my preference for simplicity (I love hunting with my Ruger #1 with a fixed 6x42 Leupold) than a criticism of this particular reticle. Vive la différence.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The most well designed BDC reticle has been Nightforce's Velocity 600 reticle. It came in 3 variations, Low, Medium, and High Velocity. A simple reticle, 100 yard hash above intersection, 200 yard zero, 3, 4, 5, 6 holds with 5 and 10 mph windage at each. Between the 100 yard lines is a 50 yard drop only hash.

NF made a calculator that can be run with load specific data to determine the best version of the reticle to use and highlight exact differences, even listing the best range to zero at to put the reticle closer.

I much prefer FFP and dialing but NF put out a good BDC reticle.

I still have one of those. I can dial it but rarely do. The holdovers are as accurate as I can hold from field positions. I picked up a z3 Swarovski with a similar reticle to try. I haven’t made time for it yet.

I usually dial with the ones I have but hate not having windage references on the main horizontal line. I usually sight in with the marked 0 on the zero stop dial at 200, or whatever range to best match up with the drops. However, I set the "hard" stop at 100. Gives me the ability to be 0'd at the intersection in woods with the hard stop or move it the the dial's 0 in open areas. It's a good bdc system with the 3 choices of reticles....but the real reason I prefer this reticle to any of NF's other reticles in the 2.5-10 is it's their boldest reticle. Much easier to pick this reticle up in the woods than any of their other reticles. NF really needs to put a bold, measured hunting reticle in the 2.5-10, even if it's SFP.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Germany is the benchmark of quality and precision. "All" manufacturer's come to the home of Germany for their optics. Japan may be an exception. In this respect, even all the high brand scopes assembled in the U.S. come to Germany for their optics.

Uhhh, negative. Steiner has always been a wannabe, and not a real player. Can't think of one single thing they excel at whether it be scopes, binos, or bino/rf's.

* You merely provide a ghost story whereby you have no grounds, none to prove your assertion. Steiner has stepped up lately, lest you have not heard.

Do you believe in ghosts?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Many cannot comprehend the principles of a BDC . The Steiner E3 Illuminated Reticle is matched along the same system, only being more accurate. If any are confused with this reticle, they really do not belong on the range nor should they be hunting for anything.

GFY, droid.

Last edited by Synoptic; 02/25/23.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Many cannot comprehend the principles of a BDC . The Steiner E3 Illuminated Reticle is matched along the same system, only being more accurate. If any are confused with this reticle, they really do not belong on the range nor should they be hunting for anything.

GFY, droid.

🚀🤖 💥

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Love the 8x42 Toric binos, and Toric 3-15 plex rifle scope. Top shelf stuff.

LOL

You have it all figured out.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I have the 15x56 bino’s along with Toric & rimfire scopes. Mine have performed very well.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The 'price' has moved up, so what does that say to all the 'experts'?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24 scopes on a couple of AR-15's and they have been very good. I primarily shoot them in 3 gun matches so they get bumped around some and they've held up well. The glass is good, the illumination is reliable and daylight bright, and they are fairly light so I have no complaints.

Overall, I like Steiner based on my experiences with these scopes, but I have not used any higher powered Steiner hunting scopes so can't comment on them.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

GFY, droid.

Looks like Steiner has resorted to A.I. sock puppets to sell their products

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a GS3 4-20 x 50 with a very similar retical I like well enough.

it rides aboard an M1A. for some reason I'm remembering this particular model was actually made in the USA does this sound correct I'm looking right now to see if I can find markings without dismounting it..

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by irfubar

GFY, droid.

https://jmp.sh/s/tSvTeXqN96aBoQMrgA3K

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Inflation is real?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

GFY, droid.

www.gofuckyourself.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
🤣

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Inflation is real?

* Well, that is a logical explanation, yet not true. Look at Leupold and all other scope brands. Their prices have remained the same or even possibly been slightly discounted. The fact is the Steiner 4 2.5-10x42 is proven to be an outstanding scope with clear optics and 'accurate'.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jackmountain

GFY, droid.

www.gofuckyourself.com

* You're a dreamer with a filthy mind, actually "PERVERTED"!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by whitearrow
why oh why can steiner NOT put us simple hunter types a miniscule single dot along with a german #4ish reticle?????

Big Ed

They do -- but unfortunately they limit it to the European market and will NOT do a reticle change for you. That Euro line is called the Ranger and much the same as the Predator other than the reticle, which is very similar to the Zeiss #60. Unlike Steiner's HXi series, the illumination is done very well in the Ranger. It is adjustable to an extremely dim level and is good enough to use in twilight.

Funny thing is: the Predator is made in Germany and only sold in the US. The Ranger is made in the US and sold only in Europe.

I have had both -- a 2.5-10x50 Ranger 4 and a 4-16x50 Predator 4 -- and can tell you that the glass is superb in both. Reliability was not an issue, either, as they tracked as they should and held zero. But I prefer the sheer simplicity of the Ranger's reticle for my usage.

After I bought the 2.5-10x50 Ranger 4, I liked it enough that I wanted to add the Ranger 6 3-18x56 and give it a whirl. But by then, Optics Trade EU in Slovenia already had the door slammed on them by Steiner and were no longer able to send those scopes to the US. My 2.5-10x50 had slipped through by mistake.

There is one way around that, though: a used scope. That's because Steiner can't dictate what a vendor does with a used product. Have been watching for a Ranger 6 for a while but haven't had any luck on that end.

Steiner is not the only manufacturer guilty of this. Early on, Zeiss did not release any of the 2-12x50s in the V6 series here in the US. This scope -- coupled with the wonderful #60 reticle and brand-new illumination system -- checks a lot of boxes for hunters and is a fantastic optic. The very first time I inquired about this, I was told they didn't offer a scope in that magnification range, which was simply not true. They were widely available in Europe and in stock just about anywhere I checked. I'm not sure if the many phone calls numerous shooters made to Zeiss had any bearing, but that scope is now available in the US, though they recently bumped the price to north of $2K.

Zeiss also took away the Victory HT series of scopes from the American market. They are still widely available in Europe but not here anymore.

Many here loved the Swarovski PH series that was supposedly "discontinued." But they were just cut off from the American market and -- even after all these years -- are still are offered across the pond. They lived on as the Z4 and then Z4i (illuminated). Those original PH scopes remain -- in my opinion -- as one of the best choices of hunting optics out there.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,225
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.