Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have never seen any gun fire with the safety on if they had one. Also I have never seen a gun fire without something pulling on the trigger. Maybe they do I just haven't seen it. I hear a model 70 safety locks the firing pin and is the safest system. I have never owned one.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tmitch
Letting the firing pin rest on the primer makes me shudder.
Yup.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tripod3
Had a rem 700, had the safety checked by a rem gunsmith as they recommended. Day later it misfired upon closing the bolt. Sold it and bought Sako 3 position safety, good or not the sako's have been trouble free and only fire when the trigger is pulled.

Just wondering out loud...
Did you happen to mention that to the buyer of said rifle?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’m not sure we’ve had o d of these threads all year.

Finally!!

Let’s change some minds!!
🤪😂

When are you gonna start a new "Match King" thread, pard? I can see the wheels turning... 😉

*** my Grandaughters

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As said a 3 position safety is best for bolt guns. You can load and unload with safety. Ruger and Winchester are two that come to mind. Remington no.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems I read years ago an article by an African professional that didn't use the safety on his rifle, but carried it with a round in the chamber and the bolt handle up. Mauser or M70 IIRC.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok, guess I'll add my 2cents worth, as I'm always carrying a round in the Chamber, but the Rifle is not Cocked, I guess you could say my Granddad showed me this Trick about 60 yrs +/- now, this was his De-Cock way back when, and this will work with any Bolt-Action Rifle.... cry
Sequence of Operation, and pay attention to this Sequence....
1st Open the Bolt and Retract it.....
2nd Insert a Round in the Chamber.....
Again Pay attention, 1st Pull the Trigger Back and Hold it, and then Close the Bolt and push it down......
Ok, your ready to go.....
Now, when the time comes that you might be ready to Shoot, just reach down and JUST LIFT the BOLT-UP, and Push it back-down, your Locked and Loaded, pull the Trigger when Ready, and if you decide that you are not pulling the Trigger at this time, Lift the Bolt back-up, DO-NOT Pull the Bolt Back, just Pull and Hold the Trigger Back as you Re-Close the Bolt, Easy-Peasy, I'm 74 this year, and been doing for EVER, don't need to stinking safety...... cry
Lj cool

Oh, and yea, this is the way we carried our Bolt Rifles in a Scabbard on Horse-Back..... and the Lever-Guns were carried the same way, but on Half-Cock.

In doing so, wouldn't the firing pin be resting against the primer? There are many, many instances where I think this could be very dangerous.

Mainer is correct. This method is really dumb because it’s less safe than just using the safety. Every time you do this the firing pin moves forward and smooshes against the primer. Eventually, the gun goes bang with this method. I know because I had a guy nearly take my head off with an ND while using this “safe method” back in ‘06.

Getting away with doing a dumb thing for years doesn’t make it any more reasonable. It’s still dumb and will catch up with you sooner or later.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
More to the point it will catch up with whoever you hunt with.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wanted to comment on the Steyr Safebolt safety. It is really a 4 position safety,a conventional 3 position plus an extra postion in which the bolt closes a few more degrees to rest very flat against the stock.

In this postion the firing pins moves so that it no longer aligned with the firing pin channel. The gun can not fire.

I don't know of another safety system that not only blocks the movement of the firing pin,but literally moves it out of alignment with the rest of the firing mechanism.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Ruger #1 safety is superb. Couldn’t help saying it, despite this being about bolt gun safeties.

On the bolt gun, I like almost any safety that’s easy to get to and cams the striker back.

Last edited by GF1; 01/10/24.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Blaser's (and some sauers, maybe others that are built by the same holding company) have a decoker safety that's bulletproof.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’m not sure we’ve had o d of these threads all year.

Finally!!

Let’s change some minds!!
🤪😂

When are you gonna start a new "Match King" thread, pard? I can see the wheels turning... 😉
😏😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Had a rem 700, had the safety checked by a rem gunsmith as they recommended. Day later it misfired upon closing the bolt. Sold it and bought Sako 3 position safety, good or not the sako's have been trouble free and only fire when the trigger is pulled.

Sold it to the gunsmith that checked it out, said he could fix it.
Off my hands and conscience.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Sold it to the gunsmith that checked it out, said he could fix it.
Off my hands and conscience.
You are a good egg sir! 😎

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's keep each other safe out there.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have a BDL in 270 Win, bought in 1968. Probably has over 1000 days in the field more on the range. On it's 3rd barrel. Killed everything from marmots, to elk and bears with it. Never an issue. My son has it now, got his first elk with it about 7 years ago. He loves the gun as do I. So I bought myself a "new in the box" BDL in 7mm Rem Mag cause my son won't give me my 270 back lol. I believe the newer ones have had some QC issues. The late 60s through early 80s models were pretty damn good rifles.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Silencers are not... they are suppressors.

Safeties are not... they are risk limiters...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado
I have a BDL in 270 Win, bought in 1968. Probably has over 1000 days in the field more on the range. On it's 3rd barrel. Killed everything from marmots, to elk and bears with it. Never an issue. My son has it now, got his first elk with it about 7 years ago. He loves the gun as do I. So I bought myself a "new in the box" BDL in 7mm Rem Mag cause my son won't give me my 270 back lol. I believe the newer ones have had some QC issues. The late 60s through early 80s models were pretty damn good rifles.

Handsomest rifles ever made to my eye

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It ain't the "safety", so much. It's the shooter and circumstances. Any one who depends on "safety" when a hot chamber is not necessary, is a fool. Sorry about that... Not.

An empty chamber (if not called for carried "hot"), is almost foolproof. Almost. There are always super-fools of course.

The Mod70 safety , et.al. are second best, IF a chamber needs be carried hot. And yes, there are circumstances it can/should be. But otherwise......

A "safety" can inadverantly be bumped off, taken off and forgotten to be put back on., gummed up, mechanically wear, fail, etc. If there is no round in the chamber, it's still "safe".

I was goat-hunting with a partner. Both of us (needlessly) carrying hot chambers on the assault up the mountain. Not even stalking goats as yet. I was second, stumbled on rock, my rifle swept Duane. I checked the safety ( (O3-A3, customized 308 Norma Mag) - it was off! I immediately unloaded the chamber.

LAST TIME- 50+ YEARS AGO, I EVER NEEDLESSLY CARRIED A HOT CHAMBER. SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME.

I never told Duane either.... any guy behind me carries an empty chamber, or, he goes first, and I never hunt with him again. Coming into camp, every one "safeties" their gun by insuring an empty chamber. I prefer to hear a dry fire..... No exceptions.

"Safeties". un-necessarily relied upon, are just your second (third/forth? ) chance.

Last edited by las; 01/12/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
las;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're warm, well and dry up on the Kenai this morning.

We're actually getting a wee bit of prairie weather today in that it's currently -22°C with a biting north wind to add some zest.

Where we hunt during most of the season we can run into black or grizzly bear, whitetail or mule deer, elk, moose, California Bighorn, mountain goats, range cattle, feral horses, mushroom pickers, timber cruisers or grow op tenders. The grow op folks are less now that Sparkle Socks legalized weed, but for most of my hunting life here in BC - 40 years - that was the sum total of random stuff we'd bump into.

Our season starts at the beginning of September and runs to the end of November for big game, so we've got the luxury of both hunting on the mountain behind the house and also doing it for a quarter of the year.

On top of there being very specific seasons we've got point restriction, so moose will be no more than 2 points on one side, mule deer for much of the season is 4 point not including the brow tine and elk is 6 points.

The first bull elk I called in had a spectacular rack that was 4 on the right - thick as a fence post mind you sir - and 5 on the left. I believe I must have counted his points at least a couple dozen times.

Anyways, during that time, like as not, I'd have had time to pull the lever on the No. 1 closed or if it'd been a bolt gun, just thumb the bolt down.

Way back when, I had two co-workers decide to go hunting together, we'll call them Martin and Chris since I'll at least keep it straight that way.

As they told it later, both had .308 lever rifles, Martin a BLR and Chris a 99. They were hunting mule deer, in the snow so it would have been a 4 point restriction, regardless both had the rifles slung, rounds chambered but the BLR was hammer forward.

Part way up a steep hill with Martin in front, Chris slipped and went ass over teakettle downhill. Somewhere during that performance the 99 went off.

Chris stood up and said to Martin something to the effect of, "Holy S..t, I almost blew my head off!" to which Martin replied, "Yah well you shot me!".

Martin was kind enough to give me some photos of the wound that I passed around in Hunter Safety class every spring for the next 25 years.

The bullet hit him about his half way up to his knee on the leg, missed all the leg bones but still took out a scoop of flesh about the size of a lemon. It took him a good year before he could walk without a noticeable limp.

The elk story took place a few years after the Chris and Martin story and between it and a couple other moments where I took the time to consider life, I'd decided to be very intentional about how I carried while hunting.

As always there's a whole bunch of roads leading to Mecca and this is merely where I'm at on mine.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/12/24. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.