Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ried-bribe-Kari-Lake-not-run-Senate.html

An audio recording obtained by DailyMail.com reveals the extraordinary moment when what appears to be Arizona's top Republican official tried to bribe populist firebrand Kari Lake not to run in the state's Senate race.

Jeff DeWit, 51, chair of the Arizona Republican Party, can be heard asking Lake, a close ally of Donald Trump, to name her price to stay out of politics for two years.

'There are very powerful people who want to keep you out,' he tells her in a conversation recorded at the start of March last year.

DeWit tells Lake, 54, one of the most public faces of the former president's MAGA movement and a woman frequently spoken of as a 2024 vice-presidential pick, that he thinks Trump will lose and it is time to make way for someone else.

After asking her not to mention the conversation to anyone, he makes his first offer.

So the ask I got today from back east was: "Is there any companies out there or something that could just put her on the payroll to keep her out?’

Lake reacts with indignation.

'This is about defeating Trump and I think that's a bad, bad thing for our country,' she said.

Later, DeWit, who was chief operating officer on the Trump's 2020 campaign frames it differently.

'Just say, is there a number at which....' he begins.

Lake cut in: 'I can be bought? That's what it's about.

'You can take a pause for a couple of years. You can go right back to what you're doing.'

Lake repeatedly rebuffs him and says she wouldn't do it for a billion dollars.

'This is not about money, it's about our country,' she says.

Lake described what happened to an audience at the Conservative Political Action Committee last year. 'They called me before and said I got to talk to you in person. It's can't be done over the phone,' she said, as she revealed how an unnamed person had tried to buy her off

Two sources confirmed DeWit's identity as the speaker.

He and his press secretary did not respond to multiple requests for comment. Lake's office also did not respond.

At the time of their conversation, Lake was publicly mulling a run for the U.S. Senate.

And the episode reveals the tensions triggered after she refused to accept defeat in the 2022 Arizona governor race.

She emerged as a national figure, becoming a regular on Fox News as she echoed Trump's election denialism. That put her at odds with the more traditional wing of the Republican Party who feared a new breed of Trump loyalist may alienate big donors.

In October, she announced her run.

Lake has previously discussed the extraordinary effort to keep her out of the race, but never revealed who was behind it.

On Monday, Arizona talk show host Garret Lewis named DeWit, who was elected chairman of the party in January last year.

He was state treasurer of the party before being appointed by Trump to be NASA's chief financial officer.

Arizona party officials quickly called for him to step down as news of his offer to Lake spread.

Lake is frequently talked about as possible vice presidential pick for Trump's 2024 ticket

'If this is, in fact, true, I'm asking AZGOP Chairman Jeff DeWit to resign." said Maricopa County Republican Committee Chairman Craig Berland.

It is latest in a string of scandals to hit state Republican Parties. Earlier this month the Florida party ousted its chairman after the police said he was being investigated for sexual assault.

The new 10-minute audio clip includes DeWit asking for secrecy.

'If you say no, its fine, it's your choice, don't tell people,' he tells Lake.

Later he sets out the rationale behind the offer.

'I think what it really comes down to for a lot of people, it’s not about like control or agenda,' he says. 'It's about the ability to raise money to win.'

Lake sticks to her guns.

'I don't want to make a deal with these kinds of people. This is a hill worth dyingon,' she said.

'I'm not ... if they're gonna steal the election to make me and our movement go away. I'm not letting them do that.

'I owe it to the people of Arizona to carry their torch and voice.'

Lake has been on the campaign trail for Trump during the past month, spending time in Iowa and New Hampshire to encourage supporters to vote. She is seen here at a rally in Rochester, new Hampshire, on Sunday

Lake revealed the approach days after it happened. She used an appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference to describe how someone had shown up at her door.

'They called me before and said I got to talk to you in person. It's can't be done over the phone,' she said.

She described being asked to name her price for getting out of politics for two years.

'Now I'm going to be honest, at that very moment. I wanted to sic my dog on him,' she told the audience in Orlando Florida.

'But I have a pug and it wasn't gonna happen.'

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude!

is that Flake talking to her? She mentioned "Jeff"

Ah, both of us typing at same time. DeWitt.

Last edited by Valsdad; 01/23/24.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff DeWitt, Chairman of the AZ Republican Party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_DeWit

Edit: And again. wink

Last edited by Steve; 01/23/24.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was it stated the convo would be recorded?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stunning? Not at all. It's what's been going on with political insiders for decades, if not centuries. Politicians in general, regardless of which letter follows their names, could walk under a rattlesnake's belly while wearing an Abe Lincoln stovepipe hat. They're the lowest of the low, and they're more slimy than the scum on a Louisiana bayou! In the words of Mark Twain- - - -"Dog ticks, Bed ticks, and Politics- - - -they're all a bunch of parasites!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There’s no one I can think of to put my trust in for my VP were I to choose.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Stunning? Not at all. It's what's been going on with political insiders for decades, if not centuries. Politicians in general, regardless of which letter follows their names, could walk under a rattlesnake's belly while wearing an Abe Lincoln stovepipe hat. They're the lowest of the low, and they're more slimy than the scum on a Louisiana bayou! In the words of Mark Twain- - - -"Dog ticks, Bed ticks, an Politics- - - -they're all a bunch of parasites!"

How did your noble ancestors allow that?

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does it matter? Az is a one party consent state.

Do you think he would have had the conversation if he knew he was going to be recorded? He didn't even want to have the conversation over the phone.

Dude stepped on his dick. Be interesting if he faces any consequences or just gets promoted into a beltway job.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steve

Do you think he would have had the conversation if he knew he was going to be recorded? He didn't even want to have the conversation over the phone.

Dude stepped on his dick. Be interesting if he faces any consequences or just gets promoted into a beltway job.

Yes, it matters, Hillary.

Az has laws.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jeff DeWit, 51, chair of the Arizona Republican Party

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My ancestors walked the Trail of Tears after being betrayed by Andrew Jackson. How did your ancestors who swung through the trees in the jungle make out?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Again, Az is a one party consent state regarding recording of conversations. <- Laws.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Yes, it matters, Hillary.

Az has laws.

Seems Steve has it right. One party consent

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=AZ+law+on+recording+conversations&ia=web

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Again, Az is a one party consent state regarding recording of conversations. <- Laws.

Well, go change them...

What is your problem with telling someone they will be recorded for the record?

Seems odd.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Well, go change them...

Seems odd.

"Gee wizz Jeff, I think you might be preparing to offer me an illegal bribe. Mind if I record this conversation?"

"Sure Kari, no problem. I've always wanted to see the inside of a federal prison. Can you send me a copy so I can prove I made the offer to the very powerful people who want to keep you out?"

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just the swamp doing swamp things.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can anyone here give a valid argument against the uniparty being a real thing? I already know that answer. The establishment repubs are as bad as the demonrats. They all need to go away! Stop blindly voting straight "R" tickets and get these f uckers out of office

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Well, go change them...

Seems odd.

That's about the most naive thing I've ever read on the fire.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Well, go change them...

Seems odd.

That's about the most naive thing I've ever read on the fire.

How so?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (300_savage, 35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,912
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.