Print Thread
Hop To
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
With my mid-50’s eyesight, open sights are becoming more and more difficult to use effectively. I recently bought my first reflex sight for a handgun, a Holosun 507 on my Sig 365xl. What a difference it has made!
I have two different rifles that I want to get more use out of, and with their iron sights I rarely use either. The first one is a Winchester M-94 top eject. The other is a Springfield Armory M1-A Scout squad. The Winchester has two options for mounting location for a reflex, as offered by Turnbull. Either just forward of the hammer, or in the dovetail of the rear sight. Either mount will accept a smaller, handgun style reflex like a Burris Fastfire 3. The Springfield has a rail forward of the action, and there is also a mount available that would replace the rear sight. This mount would also be for a smaller reflex, the forward rail could utilize a larger reflex, like a Holosun 510.
I would like to hear from anyone who has been using reflex sights on rifles, best mount location, best mounts, best reflex sights, anything you have to offer.

GB1

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
These are the two mounts from Turnbull.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rearward as possible and forward as possible both have their advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes your personal eyesight comes into play as well. I've tried mounting forward as possible and rearward as possible. The further back, the easier it is to let the tube wash out of your vision with both eyes open. The more forward you mount it, the harder it is for the tube to disappear. Meanwhile, the more rearward the dot, the more it exacerbates my astigmatism which means it is less precise on target--which isn't really that big of a deal.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have been playing with this for a while now trying to figure out the optimum position for an Aimpoint Nano. I have decided on the rearmost position on the receiver because it seems I am on target faster and it just feels better. That is just my opinion and what I am going to do on a Savage 99.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve messed with a lot of red dots on rifles, handguns and shotguns. The best location for mounting depends on the size of the window and also the presence or absence of any projections on the off side that may interfere with your binocular vision. Thin-bezel units like a Fastfire work well just about anywhere.

Remember to focus on the target, not the dot. The dot will find its way….

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I went with the forward mount on my model 94 for two reasons. One, I like to carry with one hand around the receiver and when I do, the Williams receiver sight is pressed against the heel of my hand. The reflex sight is sure to do the same only moreso since it sticks up and forward farther. Given this situation, the lens would surely get smudged and fogged. Two, most 94's don't eject brass straight up, they eject up and back. Having empty brass bouncing off the lens of my sight doesn't appeal to me. I now have two rifles with forward mounted dot sights and they work good that way for me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would go rear. My M71.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The farther back you mount it, the more the sight itself disappears and the dot just floats out there over the barrel.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I found the Holosun works best for me in the rear.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m really leaning towards putting a small reflex like a Burris Fastfire 3 on my model 94 with the mount just forward of the hammer. I thought about taking the Holosun 507 off my Sig and try a rudimentary mount with cardboard and tape to try both locations.
On the M1A, I really think I’ll go with the larger sight like a Holosun 510 mounted on the rail over the barrel. That way the iron sights stay intact, and the reflex could easily be removed if damaged and still have viable sights.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Merkel 141's. Trijicon Type 2 3.25 MOA Red Dot sights.

AR-15, Tru-Glo Red/Green dot.

ya,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/02/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The dot always stays the same size. A 3 moa dot is 3 moa if it's near your eye, or way out on a rib. The farther out the sight, though, the more room the dot will take up in the window. Theoretically, it's possible to move a sight so far out that the dot takes up the whole window. The closer in it is, the more glass you will perceive around the dot. I like the dot as close to my eye as possible. It easier to pick up quickly.

I tried this Aimpoint T2 in front of the ejection port and behind. Behind works much better for me.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 02/02/24.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One more.......

Sauer 404 Golden Boar, 308 Win.

Aimpoint H2 Micro

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
Rearward as possible and forward as possible both have their advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes your personal eyesight comes into play as well. I've tried mounting forward as possible and rearward as possible. The further back, the easier it is to let the tube wash out of your vision with both eyes open. The more forward you mount it, the harder it is for the tube to disappear. Meanwhile, the more rearward the dot, the more it exacerbates my astigmatism which means it is less precise on target--which isn't really that big of a deal.

Go green.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
holosun 507c 2 moa dot mounted on front of receiver of a howa mini is about 3.8 moa, actual measured against grid on wall and converted, this is closer than pistol eye relief which is where I think they would size these dots, not sure I'm buying they are the same size at all eye reliefs wink

that said it made for a natural rangefinder that matched the trajectory of the grendel nicely, covers half of the 15" gong at 200 yards and for the trajectory...if the dot fits inside the kill zone...good to go, if it's bigger you can start using the bottom edge of the dot and move on up on the target, was nothing punch a fast 3" shot fist sized group on a 10-12" gong at 300 holding bottom of dot on top of gong, prone of course but cycling and shooting fast, I then went 2 for 3 on a 10" gong at 375-400 with a 24-30" hold

I haven't played with forward for back much, my gut wants me to get it out there aways but I see the argument for field of view trying to bring it closer to the eye, kids smacked a couple deer at 100 no drama with that set up, I yanked it for a ultralight 2.5x, just because I wanted to, not because it didn't work, I still may go 1.5-5 vx3hd over the 2.5 yet, it will be a spontaneos thing if I do.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Single lens for deer, all the way to the front
Enclosed for deer all the way to the rear.

Single lens for DG, mid barrel.
Enclosed for DG, not recommended

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
I found the Holosun works best for me in the rear.

This a family forum?

Better yours than mine.😉

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 02/06/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
One more.......

Sauer 404 Golden Boar, 308 Win.

GWB

That's not even fair...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,987
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.