Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Amen, carden. That's what I said above. A student loan should have the diploma/degree as collateral. If you don't pay the loan, your degree is "repossessed." You can say you attended college, but there'd be no record that said you graduated.

I had no loans but that would have worked fine for me as my degree became meaningless the first day I started work and remained so until I retired.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Might be an unpopular opinion. But I’d much rather my tax dollars be used to pay off an American Student’s college loans,(especially one working in public service) than be used to pay the bloated salary of a Ukrainian Bureaucrat.

Bingo. In 2017 we spent 47 BILLION dollars in foreign aid. Completely f ucking insane.

How about neither.

That's fine. But let's stop acting like it's still the f ucking 60s and 70s.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
An example of that would be that back in the day...employers hired candidates who had degrees that were relevant to the job.

Now you just need a degree. Any degree.

Not the case with my career. At all.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
montram, I was unaware that Army green also stands for jealousy.

Funny that no ground pounder ever told me he hated me or to eff off when he was in bayonet range with the NVA. Saving their lives while serving as an irresistible target seems to me to be a pretty damn fine show of fellowship.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
IMO, the first college course required should be on money management and loan options. Some parents I know do their kids a disservice by paying for all of their kid's (18-25) expenses so they "don't have to do it the hard way". When the students start a career, they have no idea how to manage their money. Many parents have also co signed on their college student's loans using he same reasoning. How does this make sense? 3 kids, 250k or more in loans... good luck when the parents apply for a loan and this is on their credit report.
I spoke with a wise friend that felt the new labor market should be 1/3 service,(or military), 1/3 building trades and 1/3 college degrees required for a specific job. That would change the college dynamic in a hurry for sure.
An individual's aptitude should be part of the equation when planning for a career. That facet seems to be overlooked often with the result being a failure at a university that causes a setback.
But I do wholeheartedly agree that the college education system has become another money making scheme with no accountability. Maybe job placement should be used to give the colleges a ranking? That may change the "any degree will work" philosophy.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by montram
Which is exactly why an awful lot of us hate officers in general and especially Air Farce turds. Elitist, opportunists that only care about how they can get more than the next guy with absolutely no concept of community or fellowship.

Oh who the fugg is this guy now?

Sheesh.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The problem with student loans is, the US Government is in charge of the process, top to bottom, and the government can not tie its very own single shoe lace on just one shoe, without a total screw up.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Real answer is to stop subsidizing colleges and universities and let the free market determine what tuition should be.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The Real answer is to stop subsidizing colleges and universities and let the free market determine what tuition should be.

That would be a nice start....but you know how old fuggers love college football......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alan_C
I’m age 64 so I’ve seen a few things in my life. When I was in my early 20s, never heard of student loans. I have a cousin who when she was 18, got a minimum wage job and put herself through school. She had a high paying job in accounting when she finished school. I was talking to a friend who just retired from the education dept . She had something to do with the accounting / budget. The subject of student loans came up and I told her I was not in favor of them, since you don’t have to pay them back. What she said was not fair is people that applied for loans and was denied them. So why have student loans?

The main issue is your generation (boomers) brainwashed every kid graduating high-school. They had to go to college or they'd be digging ditches or working at Walmart collecting shopping carts their entire life.

I guess I didn't know I didn't have to pay back my student loans, or I wouldn't have done so for 10yrs.

I graduated in 2010. I have no idea how people are paying for college now, some universities are charging 1k per college hour credit. A far cry from what boomers paid in the 60s/70s, even considering inflation.

Ps there's always a way to earn student loan forgiveness, public service.

How fuggin’ convenient for you to just be able to blame another generation for everything you find wrong in the world…

BTW, thanks for paying for my SS! I’ve just about burned through the principle.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, sensible, and some version of this - I would limit subsidy to what the taxpayers in a given state are willing to invest to run their in-state higher ed.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My boomer brain might be fading a bit, but I'm pretty sure I paid $60 a credit hour back in the late 60s. But I carried 16 to 20 credits per semester. I was a day student, so cost was for tuition and books; no room or food. I commuted. I also worked part-time in a Western Auto store at a blazing $1.65/hr and took student loans the last two years of school. Paid them off in two years, too.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’m age 64 so I’ve seen a few things in my life. When I was in my early 20s, never heard of student loans. I have a cousin who when she was 18, got a minimum wage job and put herself through school. She had a high paying job in accounting when she finished school. I was talking to a friend who just retired from the education dept . She had something to do with the accounting / budget. The subject of student loans came up and I told her I was not in favor of them, since you don’t have to pay them back. What she said was not fair is people that applied for loans and was denied them. So why have student loans?

The main issue is your generation (boomers) brainwashed every kid graduating high-school. They had to go to college or they'd be digging ditches or working at Walmart collecting shopping carts their entire life.

I guess I didn't know I didn't have to pay back my student loans, or I wouldn't have done so for 10yrs.

I graduated in 2010. I have no idea how people are paying for college now, some universities are charging 1k per college hour credit. A far cry from what boomers paid in the 60s/70s, even considering inflation.

How fuggin’ convenient for you to just be able to blame another generation for everything you find wrong in the world…

BTW, thanks for paying for my SS! I’ve just about burned through the principle.

Indeed Pappy. My first check is coming next month.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I never worked it out for dollars per credit hour.

Wonder what mine was.....

I think tuition for me was around 2000 to 2500 a semester.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 02/03/24.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been on the dole for 10 years now. It’s a Wonderful Life!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When I got out of HS, tuition at the U of MD was about $3k for residents. I just went to work. 40 years later, I decided it was time for a break. Been on that break for almost 14 years.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

When I got out of HS, tuition at the U of MD was about $3k for residents. I just went to work. 40 years later, I decided it was time for a break. Been on that break for almost 14 years.

When you got out of high school I bet the tuition for the little college I went to was less than 500 bucks!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Amen, carden. That's what I said above. A student loan should have the diploma/degree as collateral. If you don't pay the loan, your degree is "repossessed." You can say you attended college, but there'd be no record that said you graduated.

That might actually be legal, given that schools often hold diplomas hostage for various speech crimes and overdue books.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When you got out of high school I bet the tuition for the little college I went to was less than 500 bucks!

Plus ammunition allowance for fighting off the Sioux…

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jeez, didn't know that everything that is wrong with the good ole USA is the collective fault of everyone who was born in the USA between mid-1946 and mid-1964?

Since I earned my undergraduate degrees by signing up for a 4 year ROTC scholarship, I never knew, or cared, how much the U.S. Army was paying for my education 'cause I knew that I'd be paying the big green machine back in full with sweat and possibly blood. I paid back the student loans for my MBA at a time when I struggled to afford to, but I felt an obligation to pay them back, as my word/signature is my bond.

BTW - DJT was born in the second month of the Boomer era, 06/46.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 257 roberts, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,576
Posts18,532,115
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.