Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by carrollco
Jackson Handy: I m an old fart, old school. Graduated Jr College in 1969, College in1971

Exactly. Yes gramps, it doesn't cost 12 cents per credit hour anymore.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter is a dentist and is just finishing a 2d degree to be an endodontist. Between the 2 schools, she's in hock about a half mill. However, she's making enough so that she'll have it paid off in 5 years. Professional schools are totally different than regular colleges. Very few can afford the extreme cost of medical schools without taking out huge loans. The students do come out with some heavy duty training. If someone's sawing on your body, you want them to be the best.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Son of mine grads HS next yr 🤦‍♂️

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Everything the government gets involved in turns to schidt. I was blessed with cash flowing a four year engineering degree. Parents aren’t parenting if they allow their little kids to spend thousand upon thousands in tuition to simply get a degree that equals a $25,000 to $35,000 salary

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worse than being pushed to go to college, is being sold that a job is the way to health, wealth, and happiness. Jobs generally aren't designed for that.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
[

Yes and gas was .25 a gal, a burger was 2 bucks, etc.

One year at a cheap public university is 20k a year, in tuition alone. No books.

You are out if touch with reality if you believe going to college currently without loans is possible for the avg. person.

Personally I would argue against anyone going to school unless their profession of choice requires it. It's a rip off. I listened to all the boomers.....I shouldn't have.

But if you must, go into public service and do your time.

Man, you’ve REALLY bought into the leftist narrative. You swallowed the bait, hook, line and sinker!

How about some FACTS?

20 states have FREE community college. So, first two years of your degree are FREE. Don’t live in one of those states? Move and establish residency.

Second. The AVERAGE annual tuition for an in-state school, this year, is $10, 940. (https://www.bankrate.com/loans/student-loans/average-cost-of-college/ )

Your $20K is almost half-right. For two out of four years of the education.

Work 40 hrs a week stocking shelves at Walmart or Target at $20 an hour, 80 hrs a week during breaks….that’s $50K a year.

Please tell me you can’t pay $11K a year tuition making $50? Pretty please?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the fundamental purpose of learning, particularly advanced learning, beyond the high school level? Is the purpose found in self-improvement and higher development?

Trade/business/occupation skills - yes in many cases - the needs/applications are rather clear and the concomitant rewards rather obvious and immediate. Why would any upstanding and intelligent person who takes this productive route, engaging in the world of good pay in exchange for good work, ever imagine that he/she does not have to repay a loan on the agreed schedule? Antithetical to the fundamental norm.

For those who choose higher education for reasons aside from the above - actual higher learning that includes at least a strong basic grounding in arts/sciences/social sciences/philosophy - ostensibly enabling ability to engage life and society on ethical and moral grounds - how could they even begin to take the position that the loans they promised to repay should suddenly be borne by some other unknown persons? Could that expectation be an outcome of true higher learning? How so?

Thus, what type of persons are left to expect - even insist upon - escape from such obligations they assume - such promises they make? And even worse, what kind of person tries to implement such an illicit ploy, with the money of others, simply to obtain votes. The depraved being used by the depraved.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When a Dotor operates on me, I want the doctor to be well schooled.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
.My son will be graduating med school in a few months. There was no way we could foot the bill for him but we helped out a lot. Some of his peers will be graduating with 300K in student loans! You can't work and survive med school.

He led a frugal 4 years as a student and saved a lot of money from high school through college.

It made me not complain how much health care costs

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
20 states have FREE community college. So, first two years of your degree are FREE. Don’t live in one of those states? Move and establish residency.

Move and establish residency in a new state? Move for a better quality of life or better educational opportunities? The do nothings that haven’t done sh.it on the campfire hate that. 😂 Those dipshits would, in their pithy semi-literate ways, go apeshit and demand that you stay and “fight”. They don’t know who you should fight or where that fight should begin but damnit they know what others should or shouldn’t do. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a kid leans that way, then for sure they should head to college right out of high school. I would have flunked in fine order though had I taken that route. Four military years though generated some motivation, as there was quite a disparity between officers and enlisted men.

With a break in my education processes, a 400 level biochem course was a near killer for me when I'd not been in a chem class for 6 years. It was one of those weed eating classes for cleaning out the less motivated pre-med students. There were around 200 seated the first day and about 100 there for the final exam.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/03/24.

1Minute
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When a Dotor operates on me, I want the doctor to be well schooled.

There’s a huge difference between “well schooled” and extremely competent….. I want my doctor to be extremely competent! All doctors are “well schooled” and some of the dumbest [bleep] I’ve ever met were “well schooled” but they were beyond ignorant of everything that matters, they lacked basic common sense and they were usually socially retarded. With education there becomes a point where the more education one gets they reach a point of diminished returns on the education which inevitably morphs into regressive stupidity, extreme liberalism and severe mental illness.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you Ace.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son is one of the (future) few doctor's that I know that works on cars, hunts, shoots, trained his hunting dog, grows vegetables and is an all around intelligent guy.

He is going to make a really good doctor!

I am so proud of him!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
[

Yes and gas was .25 a gal, a burger was 2 bucks, etc.

One year at a cheap public university is 20k a year, in tuition alone. No books.

You are out if touch with reality if you believe going to college currently without loans is possible for the avg. person.

Personally I would argue against anyone going to school unless their profession of choice requires it. It's a rip off. I listened to all the boomers.....I shouldn't have.

But if you must, go into public service and do your time.

Man, you’ve REALLY bought into the leftist narrative. You swallowed the bait, hook, line and sinker!

How about some FACTS?

Second. The AVERAGE annual tuition for an in-state school, this year, is $10, 940. (https://www.bankrate.com/loans/student-loans/average-cost-of-college/ )

Your $20K is almost half-right. For two out of four years of the education.

Work 40 hrs a week stocking shelves at Walmart or Target at $20 an hour, 80 hrs a week during breaks….that’s $50K a year.

Please tell me you can’t pay $11K a year tuition making $50? Pretty please?

Going off of your numbers of 11k per year going to school year around fulltime. How much more is going to room and board on campus or the same off campus going to cost? Plus maintenance on a vehicle, gas and insurance, a phone bill, and living expenses?

Very few people are going to balance 15 credits AND work 40 hrs per week. If Walmart were truly passing out entry level shelf stocking jobs starting at $20 per hour we’d all be high on the hog. Maybe they do in a few extremely high cost of living locations?

So an average college student by your numbers is going to take out 45k in loans just for schooling over four years. Call it 50k with book fees lab fees ect. Plus they’re going to be unable to make enough money for housing, necessities, a small amount of spending money, car insurance, bills and so on. So they’ll easily take out more than double that to pay the bills unless they live at home with mom and dad rent free and mom and day are willing to pay for the groceries and utilities.

How much additional money do you expect an even frugal poor college student taking 15 credits and finding the time to work 20 hours a week after school and homework while making $15 an hour will need in loans?

$15 an hr and working 20 hours a week is probably $200 a week or less take home and will barely cover gas and insurance and the phone bill.

Community college is a bargain but it isn’t free in most places. Moving somewhere and establishing residency usually requires a two year wait for colleges and it takes living with mom and dad off of the table. It also begs the question that if two years are “free” why are the last two so overpriced?

The FACTS are that college cost have skyrocketed when compared to inflation and at the same time the earning power of a college degree has plummeted. There’s exceptions but they’re just that exceptions. In most cases you’re looking at 2-3 more years of even higher priced graduate schooling and will be in your mid 20’s before you start an entry level job in that field and making 60k but will already own a mortgage worth of debt in student loans.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
My son is one of the (future) few doctor's that I know that works on cars, hunts, shoots, trained his hunting dog, grows vegetables and is an all around intelligent guy.

He is going to make a really good doctor!

I am so proud of him!

You should be.

You definitely raised him right👍👍

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Move and establish residency in a new state? Move for a better quality of life or better educational opportunities? The do nothings that haven’t done sh.it on the campfire hate that. 😂 Those dipshits would, in their pithy semi-literate ways, go apeshit and demand that you stay and “fight”. They don’t know who you should fight or where that fight should begin but damnit they know what others should or shouldn’t do. 😂

It looks like a whole lot of those 20 "free tuition" (not really "free college") states have requirements like you had to graduate high school in that state. Some of them have residency standards beyond just moving there.

Even if a kid straight out of high school could somehow afford to move to a different state and get a job that would pay his room and board and for his books, he might still not qualify for free tuition under those programs.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In state schools and community college are cheap for the first few years. Gets a little more costly once you get higher up.

My niece is going to GCU next year. Tuition/Room/Board is 14k a year after scholarships. That's pretty cheap for what you get. Go get an apartment and buy your own food. You'd be lucky to do that for 15k these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

It looks like a whole lot of those 20 "free tuition" (not really "free college") states have requirements like you had to graduate high school in that state. Some of them have residency standards beyond just moving there.

Even if a kid straight out of high school could somehow afford to move to a different state and get a job that would pay his room and board and for his books, he might still not qualify for free tuition under those programs.

Oh, JFC, have you ever listened to yourself whine?

So you pay for community college for the first two years (if the kids an under achiever without any AP college credits).

Average community college annual cost, this year, is $3,860.

“What about room and board, books, cars, the jacuzzi payments, insurance, country club memberships or yoga classes?”

Well, WHAT ABOUT THEM? Six guys get together and rent a house, $300 a piece. Drive a beater, don’t get any dam tickets. Don’t eat out, and buy your clothes at Goodwill. It’s not hard, people. Except maybe on the ego.

“Can’t work while taking 15 credits”.

WTF are Saturdays and Sundays for? I used to do 16 hrs a day on Saturday and Sunday in college, plus 8 hrs Friday night. That’s 40 hrs, in case you failed math class. During breaks I worked 16 hrs a day (two full time jobs), six days a week, only 8 on Sunday and Monday. Finished college in THREE years - never less than 18 credits, up to 21 (anything over 15 was free, lol, couldn’t turn that down).

If you don’t WANT to do what it takes to get through college on your own, fine, your problem, but if you say it can’t be done, you’re just making excuses.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dale06
Graduated in 73, with a loan.
It was not a govt loan.
Paid it off in about two years.
Wasn’t easy, but it was my obligation.

Forgot to mention, I worked two part time jobs during my four years in college.
Secondly, I believe most understand, forgiving these loans just means the rest of us pay off the loans via taxes.

NRA Patron
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,573
Posts18,531,952
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.