Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Had a light strike on a round the other night in a deep cold. I hypersonic cleaned the bolt, now what should I use to keep it form having the same issue again

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What does “Deep cold” mean in degrees?

Use a low viscosity synthetic oil sparingly, or run it dry.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady one shot dry lube is fantastic stuff.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Agree with IB. In “deep cold” I’d be inclined to run it dry. The firing pin doesn’t need to be lubed to work properly. Firing pins usually malfunction in the cold because they are OVER lubed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If your firing pin/spring doesn't have grease on it or is dirty, I would look towards the over travel on your trigger. A lot of folks run a very tight sear/hammer tolerance and temp/debris can tighten the gap enough to to impede, or stop, the hammer from falling. Not too uncommon on Model 700's. Darrel Wick

RAVENS & WOLVES
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hornady one shot or Superlube spray.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have been using eeszox in below zero without issue for dozen years? Or run dry. Someone mentioned hornady one-shot. Dear friend (rip) engineer, retired competitor, loved it on everything, though he no longer hunted, either. I had it gum the action on a silly marlin m60 action block and that kind of chilled me on it’s use for anything but rails, barrels, and rimfire blocks; things that have a little inertia behind them at least. Coat dies with it, too. Not to diminish one-shot, just my example of one. Still use it often… a little thing that reminds me a friend passed, but i don’t put it on bolt-action firing pins/springs.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Run it dry. No lube necessary.

RS

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Agree with IB. In “deep cold” I’d be inclined to run it dry. The firing pin doesn’t need to be lubed to work properly. Firing pins usually malfunction in the cold because they are OVER lubed.
Not uncommonly overlubed with WD-40.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Have been using eeszox in below zero without issue for dozen years? Or run dry. Someone mentioned hornady one-shot. Dear friend (rip) engineer, retired competitor, loved it on everything, though he no longer hunted, either. I had it gum the action on a silly marlin m60 action block and that kind of chilled me on it’s use for anything but rails, barrels, and rimfire blocks; things that have a little inertia behind them at least. Coat dies with it, too. Not to diminish one-shot, just my example of one. Still use it often… a little thing that reminds me a friend passed, but i don’t put it on bolt-action firing pins/springs.

I've also seen this happen but, it happens when the action is not cleaned properly before application, HOS will break everything loose when it is sprayed on and then all the crap that was inside gets gummy.

Hornady one shot is a dry lube, once it dries it will not "gum" up.

I see this often, "Paul, what was wrong with my gun"

"It was dirty"

"Really? I always clean it when I'm done shooting"

"Not good enough, do you want to learn how to clean it?"

And then they learn........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clean the firing pin, apply your favourite gun oil, and then wipe it all off with a clean cloth. Done. Don't overthink it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort

RS

100%.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don’t disagree at all, except that being ocd, this was ultrasonically cleaned beforehand. Hornady’s stuff, no less. Still, could of been something left in there. So in any event, am leery of it in said application.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by RipSnort

RS

100%.

👆

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
EEZox or Corrosion X, properly applied (and dried!) is what I've used down to 30 below. Or totally dry. Makes no matter, but the former do give some lube quality, as well as corrosion protection. It's all I've ever hunted for 30 years or so, regardless of temperature.

The only fail to fire I've had happened about 10 years ago out of Kotzebue, about 15 below, but that was due to a rough rust pitted FP shank and a stress-shortened spring on a gift AFU rifle found on the tundra by a friend in the Brooks range. A bit of emory cloth smoothed the surface (really should replace that SA725 striker) and a new spring made it good to go, without failure since using only Corrosion X on it. Needed a new takeoff barrel too, and refinishing of wood and receiver, but that's another story. It's a killing machine (ugly, tho) and I have all of about $125 in it. smile

If I did a lot of shooting in moderate temps, I'd probably change my ways a bit on lubing, for the particular rifle in question, but for a lightly used rifle, especially on one-off hunting trips, keep it "dry" per 1st sentence.

Last edited by las; 02/04/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm not familiar with "hypersonic cleaning the bolt".

Is it preferable to disassembling it, removing the firing pin, spraying everything with gun scrubber, and wiping it all down to clean off the gunk?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Yup

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dry graphite

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Graphite if you have to have something there,but i don't put anything because if you do the dust around here will cake or clog it up bad enough that it's hard to get out.

I hate cleaning dirt,dust caked with oil out of tight places.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 26 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.