Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ventured over to DDs backyard range today...

Needed to 'clean up', basically just shoot up some ammo loaded months back, and to establish a base-line.

The T/C contender Bbl is a never fired Bbl, picked up here on the Fire, match Chamber, that is dedicated to the 22-GTC (pic further down, if you're not familiar with it).... and needed to see how it shoots with the good ole rimfire stuff. 'Dedicated' to the GTC since I have 3 CZs and a couple of 10-22s, and don't really need another 22LR shooter...... that, and the T/C makes it a bunch easier to hit a center fire primer!! smile

1st up was some CCI-SV TARGET just to get sighted in, all shots were at the 25yd bench, 10 shots..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Next was just a 10 shot group with no scope adjustments..

Went on to try SK Standard Plus, again 10 shots

Finally got to the 22 Center-Fire stuff, shot all that would fit in the chamber, a few were too snug to push in, most were too fast, will dis-assemble and regroup.. 15 shots +/-

The 22-GTC, basically a dimensional copy of the 22LR with a Center Fire primer...

The never fired T/C Bbl will likely improve a bit as it is shot and cleaned..

Then went on to the 10-22, had acquired a fast twist Bbl, Bentz chamber, and wanted to see how it did with the Aguila Super Sniper Sub-Sonic stuff, 60grain bullets.

1st, shot the CCI-SV Target, 10 shots. Maybe not quite as good as the T/C.

Then the Aguila 60 grainers. Again 10 shots.

All in all, a good day..

Last edited by Muffin; 02/09/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like the match barreled contender would be the perfect platform for the CF .22LR cartridges. Need only switch the selector on the hammer over to the CF position, and the conversion is done.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Living near youse guys would certainly be interesting.

Every day’s an adventure.
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Seems like the match barreled contender would be the perfect platform for the CF .22LR cartridges. Need only switch the selector on the hammer over to the CF position, and the conversion is done.

Yep! the looney can run deep here..... not hillbilly looney, flatland looney!

smile

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, I ain’t flat yet!

I was quite surprised to see how well it all did, especially the Aguila stuff.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

How come you got such a big hole in that target? Maybe you need a longer barrel?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And just for the record, back when I was fiddlin' with the .22 GTC....

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
How come you got such a big hole in that target?
50 yards was simply too close. Put on bigger eyes and increased to 200:

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That ain’t bad, but maybe if you get that pillow out from under your butt it would do a little better. Hard is better than soft every time.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That ain’t bad, but maybe if you get that pillow out from under your butt it would do a little better. Hard is better than soft every time.
You painted a very distracting word picture, causing my mind to wander some. So remind me, what is it we’re talking about?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Muffin

Needed to 'clean up', basically just shoot up some ammo loaded months back, and to establish a base-line.

The T/C contender Bbl is a never fired Bbl, picked up here on the Fire, match Chamber, that is dedicated to the 22-GTC (pic further down, if you're not familiar with it).... and needed to see how it shoots with the good ole rimfire stuff. 'Dedicated' to the GTC since I have 3 CZs and a couple of 10-22s, and don't really need another 22LR shooter...... that, and the T/C makes it a bunch easier to hit a center fire primer!! smile

1st up was some CCI-SV TARGET just to get sighted in, all shots were at the 25yd bench, 10 shots..

Finally got to the 22 Center-Fire stuff, shot all that would fit in the chamber, a few were too snug to push in, most were too fast, will dis-assemble and regroup.. 15 shots +/-

The 22-GTC, basically a dimensional copy of the 22LR with a Center Fire primer...

Then went on to the 10-22, had acquired a fast twist Bbl, Bentz chamber, and wanted to see how it did with the Aguila Super Sniper Sub-Sonic stuff, 60grain bullets.

All in all, a good day..

Pretty cool stuff. Did you try anything at 50 yards?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You painted a very distracting word picture, causing my mind to wander some. So remind me, what is it we’re talking about?

.22 RF/CF Magic!

I am..........disturbed.

M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Muffin

All in all, a good day..

Pretty cool stuff. Did you try anything at 50 yards?

I have not gone to 50yds yet, I think DD has.... and this is really his brainchild! Looniness can and does run deep, occasionally.

But if it were'nt for 'some looney' think of things we would be missing. I mean if some body had not woke up one morning and said '...I think I'll make a barrel .007" smaller than the good old, long lived, main stream, workhorse...' we wouldn't have the 270!

I had tinkered with this off and on a bit, actually modified a 10-22 so that the CF 22 would function..... it did, but the 10-22 chamber was a little large for continued use of the brass...... the normal one shot and in the trash works well with larger chambers.

This day I was just shooting up some stuff I had left over, different powders and such. Not going to, or even try to, reinvent anything, DD has already done that, and set the bar pretty high. He's posted some targets showing accuracy that a lot of the RF ammo makers fail to meet.

But I'll get to the 50 line eventually...

Maybe one day CZ, or others, will offer the 'Looney Option' with their bolt action line of 22RFs, a Center Fire bolt for the reloaders!

For now the T/C Contender works very well.

Anyone have a CF bolt for 452,455,457??????

smile

Last edited by Muffin; 02/10/24.

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have shot the CF .22 at 50 with a few loads. A few were in the 1/2-3/4” range, others were a fair bit larger. Suffice to say it works, and if I was going further with it I’d grab some VV N310 powder that the Euro .22 RF is loaded with. It’s the fastest burn rate they sell.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was finally able to get a pound of the VV N310 delivered, have some loaded up and ready to try, will need a visit to DDs range....

Also picked up a 'Scissor Jack' at the flea market ..... turned it into an adjustable front rifle rest!!

You can call me poor.... or frugal.... or just a cheap 'ole bastid! smile

Speaking of cheap, I'm starting at .5gr, mostly because there ain't a lot of load data on the 22GTC using VV N310, but will likely end up at around .7 or .8...... How many rounds to the Lb.????? a bunch!

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm intrigued by this 22gtc. Definitely a neat project. Can you tell me more? I'm unable to find any info on it.
Thanks

M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rdavid
I'm intrigued by this 22gtc. Definitely a neat project. Can you tell me more? I'm unable to find any info on it.
Thanks

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12061610/29

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I appreciate the link. A lot of reading there, entertaining as well as informative.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 338Rules, 16penny, 450yukon, 21 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,048
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.