hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can pattern them if you are using the right snack. And, the snack has to be in pretty heavy cover. I saw the biggest one I’ve ever seen last week, he’d go 500-600lbs and I’m glad I weren’t the only one that saw him.

I don’t shoot them and I think they know this. I have a few herds and a bunch of youngins.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/14/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I’d like to hunt one. Anyone know outfitters in Texas. I travel for a living and can be there. Please PM
S.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot one out near Sanderson with Dan Moody (Four Seasons Hunting Outfitters) This was back in 2007.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smallfry
I’d like to hunt one. Anyone know outfitters in Texas. I travel for a living and can be there. Please PM
S.

Will post a review of Heart of Texas outfitters next week or so. Hopefully it’s a good hunt

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I saw the biggest one I’ve ever seen last week, he’d go 500-600lbs and I’m glad I weren’t the only one that saw him.

I'd like to see that myself! The biggest one I killed barely made it over the #300 mark

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I saw the biggest one I’ve ever seen last week, he’d go 500-600lbs and I’m glad I weren’t the only one that saw him.

I'd like to see that myself! The biggest one I killed barely made it over the #300 mark

We were sitting eating sandwiches on the Frio, our phones over at the truck so no pictures. The first thing I thought was a cow, second thing that crossed my mind was no wonder I carry a Big Bore.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only taken one and that was because I was doing a guy a favor. A navy buddy of mine had a grandfather that owned a place near Pearsall TX and some aoudads got off a high fenced place and were on his place. He didnt want them there so he told us to come shoot them to chase them away.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Mission accomplished

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by MAC
I have only taken one and that was because I was doing a guy a favor. A navy buddy of mine had a grandfather that owned a place near Pearsall TX and some aoudads got off a high fenced place and were on his place. He didnt want them there so he told us to come shoot them to chase them away.
Mission accomplished

Damn nice

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’d like to hunt one. Anyone know outfitters in Texas. I travel for a living and can be there. Please
S.
Give Mulie Mike a pm. West Texas Outfitters. I had a javelina hunt with him at the end of January near Apline TX. He has quite a few ranches with aoudad

He posts here---Mulie Mike

Last edited by colorado bob; 02/14/24.
IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Damn nice

Thanks. He resides here now. The blackbuck came off the same place on the same trip. They escaped from the same high fence place. I will never turn down a free blackbuck.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I’d like to hunt one. Anyone know outfitters in Texas. I travel for a living and can be there. Please
S.
Give Mulie Mike a pm. West Texas Outfitters. I had a javelina hunt with him at the end of January near Apline TX. He has quite a few ranches with aoudad

He posts here---Mulie Mike

Gonna cost a few bucks, but his hunters have killed some whoppers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Are they in West Texas only? Or are they more widely distributed?

Ron

I don’t know. Damn good question

We've killed them in the Trans Pecos (West TX), the South Plains area near Post/Justiceburg, and the TX Panhandle near Clarendon. They are quite prolific so I'm sure they're expanding their range faster than anyone can shoot them. Badasss animal is an understatement.

Great! We are already covered up with pigs, and not the aoudads are coming!!

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Are they in West Texas only? Or are they more widely distributed?

Ron

I don’t know. Damn good question

We've killed them in the Trans Pecos (West TX), the South Plains area near Post/Justiceburg, and the TX Panhandle near Clarendon. They are quite prolific so I'm sure they're expanding their range faster than anyone can shoot them. Badasss animal is an understatement.

Great! We are already covered up with pigs, and not the aoudads are coming!!

We have both

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In January at the Dallas Safari Club convention I visited with the folks of the Texas Bighorn Society. They work to get bighorn sheep reintroduced into the mountains in west Texas.

I asked them how the bighorn numbers were doing and they said there's been a 55% death loss due to a respiratory disease that the auodad carry. Like hogs, sport hunting alone won't kill enough aoudad to make a difference in the aoudad numbers, so they're working on legislation to make it legal to shoot them from helicopters.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
In January at the Dallas Safari Club convention I visited with the folks of the Texas Bighorn Society. They work to get bighorn sheep reintroduced into the mountains in west Texas.

I asked them how the bighorn numbers were doing and they said there's been a 55% death loss due to a respiratory disease that the auodad carry. Like hogs, sport hunting alone won't kill enough aoudad to make a difference in the aoudad numbers, so they're working on legislation to make it legal to shoot them from helicopters.

That would be fun

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by huntinaz
I’ve read they are good but tough and grinding is recommended. Worth keeping back straps as steaks? I probably will and can always make jerky if they’re super tough. I plan to make a lot of breakfast sausage

A ranch family I know near Sierra Blanca TX introduced me to aoudad as wild game meat. They have a big walk-in cooler, and they routinely hang the carcasses for 3-4 weeks (much like aged beef cattle). The meat is tasty but a bit chewy. It makes excellent burger and sausage, however.

Now, that all changed when a friend and I shot a big aoudad ram south of Ozona in the Pecos River canyon country. We ate backstrap steaks that night, but preparation was an eye-opener. Joe (our host) got out his commercial grade meat tenderizer, and he ran the backstrap steaks through the tenderizer 4 times each before we cooked them, Texas chicken-fried steak style. To give some perspective, a Grade A sirloin steak would be hamburger after going through that tenderizer twice. In any case, this made the meat edible, and it was tasty.

Just my limited experience with eating them.

Hunting them, though, is wonderful. Long hours of glassing, spot-and-stalk after finding them, and generally pretty long shots... all in spectacular country. They look damn fine on your wall, too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome. That’s exactly what I’m hoping for

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

We use to catch hundreds of them a year from helicopters and relocate them before they became popular to hunt. I’d imagine the market for them is still pretty strong and most LOs would take cash for them…

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They are impressive animals but I hate the worthless varmits. They will eventually eliminate Bighorn sheep in Texas due to their competition along with other wildlife. Once full grown a mountain lion cant take them down so they dont have any natural predators. They are fun to hunt but they breed like rats and are super destructive to the environment. They are like feral hogs. Once they get established you really cant get rid of them.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.