[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 02/17/24.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
The pig issue is way overblown. One poster from Oklahoma says they are shipping in hogs for release to have somethin* to hunt. Ask people how many hogs they have shot. My guess is crickets.

Close to 600 since July of 2018. Kinda lost exact count.

Snare

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Trap

Shoot

Heading out in the AM to perforate some more!

ya,

GWB

PS: That count is from Reagan Wells lease only, does not include two other locations.

Last edited by geedubya; 02/17/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I try to only eat the little cute ones. I’ve cleaned some bigger ones, and damn what a mess. Filthy critters. If you walk up to them and they have a turd sticking halfway out of their ass, that’s an instant leaver for me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pigs are like the law enforcement fentanyl scare.

No big deal.

In Montana anyway... smile

You'd sure hate to grow any grain, vegetables, or peanuts with them around though.

No doubt.

Pigs ain't a patch on hoppers though.

Damn. At least you can shoot pigs!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wonder if they could come up with a pig specific poison like they did starlings?

Wish I could get my mitts on some Starlicide.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cool!

Sodium Nitrite bait is toxic to swine.

It causes the same death as nitrate poisoning in cattle.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We have them come thru the Leakey place. They are nocturnal, I aren't.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder if they could come up with a pig specific poison like they did starlings?

Specific to starlings?

First I heard of it, sure would come in handy here. I'm hoping once the juncos head back to the hills to get the sparrow trap going and it says it'll work on starlings too at times. Them bastids take over bluebird boxes, kill other native birds, and generally crap all over everything.

You TX fellas say them pigs like peanuts. Good, let 'em eat every dang one. I'm no fan of goober peas or that "butter" stuff that looks like baby poop. Picked up a couple little chocolates, fancy valentine foil wrappers on them, while at the PT place yesterday. First one was just milk chocolate. Second one, a nice size heart shaped one not just a kiss, outside was chocolate but inside was some of that nasty tasting PB crap. I was polite and didn't spew it all over the PT place like I wanted. Had to go get a mint Lifesaver to get the taste out my mouth. My local jays like them peanuts in the shell, which is cool, as I don't have to smell the dang things.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Whatever is in clay pigeons is toxic to hogs

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
Not sure what “overblown” means. But I hate them and the people that profit from the proliferation of them.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by poboy
We have them come thru the Leakey place. They are nocturnal, I aren't.

That’s why I like traps

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to upload forum images

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free pic hosting sites

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
look part of my comments are to just razz you guys. I would say where are the pigs? the answer to that actually is it depends. Texas is a huge state with vastly different weather and landscape. Huge areas don't have any or very many. If it was wanting to hunt pigs in texas. From my experience growing up there in central texas, which was right between the hill country to the west and piney woods to the east. I would be looking to the piney woods areas to the eastern part of the state. Also other areas that have heavy and thick vegetation in large and vast areas. Not in the areas where there are lots of flat fields and tons of farming.

my comments about hunters isn't so razzing. The hunting opportunity for your average guy there is very limited, unless you spend a lot of money. which sucks. I didn't hunt much at all when I lived there either. mainly just bird hunting because our ranch didn't have any deer because in the 70's and 80's any deer that ever showed its face was shot by the locals and it didn't matter if it was june or not. With everything being private, good luck on the game wardens ever being able to do anything about it back in those days.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Specific to starlings?

First I heard of it, sure would come in handy here. I'm hoping once the juncos head back to the hills to get the sparrow trap going and it says it'll work on starlings too at times. Them bastids take over bluebird boxes, kill other native birds, and generally crap all over everything.

You TX fellas say them pigs like peanuts. Good, let 'em eat every dang one. I'm no fan of goober peas or that "butter" stuff that looks like baby poop. Picked up a couple little chocolates, fancy valentine foil wrappers on them, while at the PT place yesterday. First one was just milk chocolate. Second one, a nice size heart shaped one not just a kiss, outside was chocolate but inside was some of that nasty tasting PB crap. I was polite and didn't spew it all over the PT place like I wanted. Had to go get a mint Lifesaver to get the taste out my mouth. My local jays like them peanuts in the shell, which is cool, as I don't have to smell the dang things.

Fairly specific.

It's hard on magpies, crows and seagulls.

Less on other birds.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We have a metric schit ton of hogs. The sign is everywhere. Over the past five years, I may have seen half a dozen in daylight hours. I never see one in deer season. They are smarter than anything else in the woods.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/17/24.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JoeBob
We have a metric schit ton of hogs. The sign is everywhere. Over the past five years, I may have seen half a dozen in daylight hours. I never see one in deer season. They are smarter than anything else in the woods.

They are not dumb.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco

They are not dumb.

The biggest hogs I've consistently taken have been through the use of snares.

For the last couple years or so I have not bothered getting up early to get in the stand before daylight. Sleep in till 8 AM, have my coffee with a shot of Amaretto, then mosey out and run the snares and traps.

These days I mostly go out about an hour before dark. Hunt with thermal from dark-thirty til 2AM or so.

Big boars are usually solitary and move mainly at night. I have found that to be a much more productive use of my time.

ya,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/17/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by hanco

They are not dumb.

The biggest hogs I've consistently taken have been through the use of snares.

For the last couple years or so I have not bothered getting up early to get in the stand before daylight. Sleep in till 8 AM, have my coffee with a shot of Amaretto, then mosey out and run the snares and traps.

These days I mostly go out about an hour before dark. Hunt with thermal from dark-thirty til 2AM or so.

ya,

GWB

I go about the same time, but don't stay out as late as you. smile

This one's been coming in early. If he keeps to his schedule, I'll go back there, slip a 150gr hog pill into him and be back before my bed time! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are they actually good eating, just need killed because they are destructive bastages ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Specific to starlings?

Fairly specific.

It's hard on magpies, crows and seagulls.

Less on other birds.

Well, we're not bothered by crows, the old whippet hates magpies for some reason and keeps them away from anywhere he can see them, but your mention of those two has me bothered as the jays that hang around are corvids also. Gulls rarely right in our 'hood other than flying over to the local reservoir. Good hopper years will find them out at the main road too, eating the traffic casualties.

I think I'll stick with the trap and pellet gun.

Last edited by Valsdad; 02/17/24.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (29aholic, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 44 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,318
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.