Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by shrapnel
It seems like pigs are everywhere until you want to shoot some. Where are easy pigs…
That’s funny right there. I grew up in texas. I ask my texas buddies about hogs and it’s like yeah they are all over. Then you ask when was the last hog you a shot. Then it’s like oh um uhh my cousin shot 1, 5 years ago or something. Everyone in texas claims to be a hunter but nothing seems to get shot. Same ole story. No public land, Know someone, pay someone, or buy the land. That fact is why I will never ever move back.

Let some western public land hunters loose, like some Utah or nevada boys loose and the hog problem will be solved.

That just breaks my heart - LOL

GB1

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
"... they are counting pigs that escaped from a farm ..."

That is the very definition of "feral hog". In Texas, any hog/pig not in a pen/pasture is considered vermin and open game.

The Spanish explorers started it. Knowing they would be coming back into the same area, they released the pigs they had on their ships to reproduce and provide a food source when they returned.

Sheep raisers along the Mexican border were having problems with coyotes killing their lambs. They eventually imported the true "Russian Boar" into Northern Mexico. Russians would root out entire coyote dens, eating pups and whatever else they discovered. Sadly. When they cleaned out the Mexican red wolf and the coyotes, they simply (swim? swam? swum? swimmed?) CROSSED the Rio Grande into Texas! Thanks guys!

The "javelina" isn't a "hog" at all, nor it related to the swine family. It is a "peccary".

That is correct on the Javelina. Believe or not, they are from the hippopotamus family.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Barry, that map shows them in our county. I've never heard of them, but this is a fairly large county with some areas of private land (people and farms/ranches) in all corners. 1 pig shows up on this report for 2021.

That report also shows the majority (90%+ I think) were taken on private lands, which makes sense in Cali. Look at an ownership map overlain on a watercourse map and most every low gradient watercourse is surrounded by private lands and some of the higher gradient streams too. Seeing as how water is pretty scarce here, those are the areas that got setlled/homesteaded.

Not a very high success rate, but I know a number of folks hunting public lands purchase a tag in case one is seen while hunting other game.

Tag return for successful pig hunters is mandatory and provides the data comprising this report.
In the 2020-2021 hunting season, tag sales increased 13.5 percent from the 47,498 tags sold in
2019. Furthermore, 3,950 wild pigs were reported taken, representing a 1.8 percent decrease in
the number of successful tags returned from the 2019 season of 4,022. A total of 53,923 wild
pig tags were issued making overall successful tag return 7.3 percent.

To read the whole report you'll have to add the https:// to get it to work as if I try to copy and paste it gives an error message

nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=195201&inline

As far as I know there have never been wild pigs in this area either, not buying what the map is selling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Look I lived in texas till my mid 20’s. The hogs are way over blown. There aren’t that many, the people that actually shot them and really hunt them are few, despite what many might claim.

LOL.

You were never successful hunting hogs anywhere at all, therefore no one else could possibly be any good at all at it.

Being bitter ain't gonna boost your stature.
Back in 70s and 80s, hog hunting wasn't the thing it is now. That changed when the hog population started to explode in the mid 80s. So when I was 20, people only shot them if they happened to see one.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Look I lived in texas till my mid 20’s. The hogs are way over blown. There aren’t that many, the people that actually shot them and really hunt them are few, despite what many might claim.

Cummins, so you're actually doubling down on stupid on this subject? Just making sure.

He's got the market cornered on "stupid".

Some of us kill more hogs in a week than he's ever seen in his life. laugh

Yet he'll sure tell everyone how right he is and how wrong we are..

Hear 'ya rock. I guess I was guilty of giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, but I've seen the light!

I've got news for cummins.....if a bunch of good ol' boy Texans (and Louisianans for that matter) who have access to helicopters, night vision, thermals, huge amounts of land, and the desire and permission to wipe 'em all out can't get it done, then flat brim, turret dialing, scope drop testing Western hunters don't have a freaking prayer.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunting anything in Texas has become just as commercialized as it has everywhere else, Actually worse than most because Texas has very little public land. I know guys who trap wild pigs in Oklahoma then sell them to Ranchers in Texas. Who then turn them loose on their land and charge people to shoot them.

Last edited by Brokenarrow; 02/16/24.

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
"... they are counting pigs that escaped from a farm ..."

That is the very definition of "feral hog". In Texas, any hog/pig not in a pen/pasture is considered vermin and open game.

The Spanish explorers started it. Knowing they would be coming back into the same area, they released the pigs they had on their ships to reproduce and provide a food source when they returned.

Sheep raisers along the Mexican border were having problems with coyotes killing their lambs. They eventually imported the true "Russian Boar" into Northern Mexico. Russians would root out entire coyote dens, eating pups and whatever else they discovered. Sadly. When they cleaned out the Mexican red wolf and the coyotes, they simply (swim? swam? swum? swimmed?) CROSSED the Rio Grande into Texas! Thanks guys!

The "javelina" isn't a "hog" at all, nor it related to the swine family. It is a "peccary".

That is correct on the Javelina. Believe or not, they are from the hippopotamus family.

Well, not really, but they are in the same Order as them and other even toed hooved animals, including swine . They are in their own Family called the Tayassuidae while pigs are in the Family Suidae.

Don’t call them pigs! Swine (pigs) aren’t the only small-hoofed mammals with nostrils at the flat end of a long, mobile snout—meet the peccaries. It’s easy to see how someone might mistake a peccary for a pig. Both are ungulates (hoofed mammals), with an even number of toes (four) on each dainty foot. That makes them members of the Order Artiodactyla, along with camels, giraffes, hippos, deer, cattle, and antelope.

And while only distantly related at the Order level, they are classed together in the Suborder Suina:

Barrel-bodied and small-legged, pigs and peccaries have a large head on a short, thick neck, and—more obvious than anything else—a characteristic snout that ends in a flat, cartilaginous disk. Those are some of the traits that put them in their own suborder, called the Suina.

More info on Suina:

But the Suina is divided into two very different families: the Suidae (pigs, or swine) and the Tayassuidae (peccaries). They share a common ancestor, which likely originated in Asia, and early pigs and peccaries spread throughout Asia, Europe, and Africa. While swine remained established in the Old World, some of the early peccaries made their way to North America, and eventually, South America. In fact, peccary fossils show up on every continent except Antarctica and Australia. Though peccaries ultimately died out in the Old World, they flourished in the New World.

So, related but not pigs, and related to other hooved critters too.

https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/peccary

Of course, taxonomy is fluid and one might find other articles disputing the San Diego zoo info, but that organization usually tries to get it right.

Loads of info out there:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=family+tayassuidae&ia=web

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=are+peccaries+pigs&t=ftsa&ia=web

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
I know guys who trap wild pigs in Oklahoma then sell them to Ranchers in Texas. Who then turn them loose on their land and charge people to shoot them.

Yeah, lot's of folks trap pigs. The states of OK and TX both made releasing ferals back into the wild for ANY reason is illegal!
Do dumba$$e$ still do it? I have no doubt! ($$$$!)

It's just like anything else in this world, you attach a dollar value to it, SOMEBODY will figure out a way to take advantage of it. It's just the nature of the beast!

I'm not sure just exactly "where" the lease concept came into being. Lotta folks want to blame it on Texas. It started back when families in south Texas were able to "claim" (homestead?) or buy vast areas of property. Raising cattle wasn't for the faint of heart and profits were low. Because there isn't a lot of public land, those old ranchers found a second source of income when people offer to "lease" an area to deer hunt!
Then here came big corporations like Dr. Pepper, Frito-Lay, Alcoa, etc, etc!!!!!! They would pay hefty sums to "lease" entertainment properties.
With an inflow of cash, landowners built a "bunkhouse" that "Big Biz" would rent for clients. Locals found employment dressing game, guiding hunters, cooking and cleaning in the bunkhouse.
Again, attach a $100 tip to 15 year old Pedro cleaning Richie Rich's deer and caping it out became common.

Here's an example.
My youngest has a friend who lives on a "whitetail/cattle" ranch near San Angelo, TX.
A client came in from his successful "guided" hunt.
Hunter paid $10k just to hunt for 3 days. The buck he just harvested cost him another $10k in trophy fees.
He had seen another buck where he was hunting and was willing to pay $SeveralK to go back and shoot that one.
THEN, he instructed the ranch owner he wanted to reserve 3 spots next season for himself and his two kids!

WAY too many of those guys have WAY more money than they have sense.
It's like the story they used to tell about Bill Gates. If Bill saw a $100 bill laying on the street, he would lose money if he stopped to pick it up.

People like that will make enough money on their next deal to pay for next year's trip 10× over!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Any mountains in Texas ?

Mountains and no trees,
Rivers and no water,
Pigs and no permission.

The only thing missing is BuzzH…

Montana Haiku.

Impressive

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mo' porkers...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

May just go try perforate a few on Sunday!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Maybe get lucky and nail a 'yote.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Take another picture......, after a quick change of your clothes

Some people actually change their clothes.........

Others ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm a slave to fashion, and you don't f-*k with tradition.

I'm sure the one day you get out hunting a year finds you sporting the latest hunting costume... posers are like that.

You're a slave to pedophilia that's all.

Plugs his brain in every night to cnn/msdnc to keep it at the highest levels of sheep dung possible.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Try the nearest Walmart

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The pig issue is way overblown. One poster from Oklahoma says they are shipping in hogs for release to have somethin* to hunt. Ask people how many hogs they have shot. My guess is crickets.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RL

I think you’re thinking of Oprah, not hippopotamuses…..err, hippopotami….easy enough to confuse the 2. One is fat, ornery and eats everything in site while the other lives in riverine environments in Africa. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
just go to local titty bar /whorehouse and the more questionable part of them the darker neighborhood and I'm sure you'll find plenty of hogs there... LMAO

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ldholton
just go to local titty bar /whorehouse and the more questionable part of them the darker neighborhood and I'm sure you'll find plenty of hogs there... LMAO
Just don’t tell ‘em “ You love them” !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The pig issue is way overblown. One poster from Oklahoma says they are shipping in hogs for release to have somethin* to hunt. Ask people how many hogs they have shot. My guess is crickets.

Lost count years ago.
Took some friends from Wyoming down to hunt them, their lack of knowledge about hunting hogs was apparent right off the bat. Spooked too many not many shots and took home maybe 2 pigs.
Hogs are smart and have great sense of smell, eyesight is lacking so spot and stalk works fine hunting them.
Trapping is about the only way to get a handle on a population, shooting them just pushes other to the neighbors.

Hog issue is not way overblown, just some folks have no clue.

Last edited by wytex; 02/17/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wytex

Lost count years ago.
Took some friends from Wyoming down to hunt them, their lack of knowledge about hunting hogs was apparent right off the bat. Spooked too many not many shots and took home maybe 2 pigs.
Hogs are smart and have great sense of smell, eyesight is lacking so spot and stalk works fine hunting them.
Trapping is about the only way to get a handle on a population, shooting them just pushes other to the neighbors.

Hog issue is not way overblown, just some folks have no clue.

The only way to control them is poison/warfarin type bait. No amount of heli-hunting/trapping combination will keep them in check, as they're much too smart to be trapped consistently. Even though hanco works their porky-assses over (nice work hanco), I bet he'd tell you he's not making a dent in the population. Cummins remains completely clueless on the matter but he thinks he's really knocking 'em dead.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pigs are like the law enforcement fentanyl scare.

No big deal.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pigs are like the law enforcement fentanyl scare.

No big deal.

In Montana anyway... smile

You'd sure hate to grow any grain, vegetables, or peanuts with them around though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.