Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
When I was growing up in the 70’s and 80’s being a millionaire was huge. I remember our neighbor won a million in the lottery and immediately quit his job and bought a 1500’ house with a 2 car garage 2 blocks up the street, and we looked at him in awe.
Wondering today what’s the equivalent now of a millionaire in 1980. Apparently its $3,650,000 in adjusted dollars. I was actually surprised that’s all it was.
Getting back to the point of the thread, a million bucks in liquidity isn't very much these days. I'm also a bit surprised that $3.6 million will let you live "like a millionaire" although that's compared to 1980, after the massive inflation of the 70's, so it's probably accurate enough.

I do remember when eccentric billionaire Mr. John Beresford Tipton gave away $1,000,000 to some person every week - all taxes paid. In the late 1950's and early 60's a million dollars really would set someone up to live high on the hog for life - if they didn't live too long. $20,000 - $25,000 would buy a very nice house and $3,000 - $4,000 would get you a brand new Corvette. Even in 1970 a hot shot Hemi 'Cuda started at around $3,300.

At least until the mid-70's when home prices just about doubled. Even 15 years later in 1990 you could buy a new Ford F150 XLT Lariat for $14,000. Try that today.

Point is, unless you have liquidity coming out your ass you can't just sit on it (the liquidity or your ass) and expect to live well until some unknown age of death. You still need to keep that money diversified and protected against both inflation on the one hand and large stock market bears on the other.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My best friend used to be a real estate broker. He said you would be amazed at the rich people in this town that are upside down on everything they own. He said you can never tell what someone is worth looking at where they live,what they drive, or the toys they have.
I used to hunt and trap on an old man's place and visited with him often.
He was a millionaire, He lived in a small house trailer overlooking Eleven Point River. Had a 14 foot jon boat tied up with a 7.5 mercury on it. He retired at 40.
He told me then everytime you make or get some money save some of it and put it to work. He was right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think these days you need at least a couple million to retire. That number will grow a bunch when the US gove goes bankrupt in the next decade. A million isn't what it used to be.

Most ballers with expensive cars, houses, boats are the most broke dicks in the country. I think the average million+ folks drive a F150 and live a more upper middle class life.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
He told me then everytime you make or get some money save some of it and put it to work. He was right.
A sister told her two boys that while they were still in high school. One took her seriously, became a millionaire by age 40. He takes his family on outdoor oriented vacations,, has 3 squared away sons..

The other would work enough to set aside a bit, then travel. He married young, his wife did the same. After 5 or 6 years they built a tiny house and started a family. Now he has a good job and is living comfortably, their 5 kids have a great upbringing with a lot of outdoor activities.

I think both approaches worked well.

Dale

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends GREATLY on where you live. Not only because of the 24K in property taxes, but all the other costs of living associated with daily life, from mechanic’s hourly rates to having to pay to park to go shopping or a $500 a month AC or heating bill. In a place with moderate taxes and a reasonable cost of living, $40K after taxes and no house payment isn’t a great luxury, but enough to eat well and not impoverish over time.

The big wildcards, of course, are health care or nursing home expenses. They’ll crack the nest egg in a hurry.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My retirement account was doing well before Bidenomics hit. We lost a bunch in the slide, but it recovered slightly and is holding steady. What hurts now are the prices of everything. Just got a quote on auto insurance, $3200 a year for the truck, older jeep, wife's car, and our 25' travel trailer. Spent $421 bucks last week for a full cart of groceries ! Stopped at Sonic the other night, one burger, a corn dog, large fries and drink was $18.46 ! I don't know how long the country can survive this crap.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interest on a banked million is marginally enough today to carry a family through all of life's events. If one could get 8% return annually and not touch principle, that's only $80k, so the sail boats, planes, and Jaguars are likely out. One could squeak by, but would not be the talk of the town.

Cookie and I worked hard, saved some, have pensions, some IRA's, and social security, and are probably spending about a million bucks about every 11 or 12 years. We are comfortable, still saving some, but not living high on the hog by any means. Inflation is a concern too.

If I could time travel and return, I'd go to the future, look up my obituary, and come back knowing just how long my resources have to last. Could die tomorrow or last another 25 years. That uncertainty keeps me on the conservative side.

Win one of those substantial lotteries though, and I'd likely never post here again. I'd be way to busy traveling and doing sh-t.

1Minute
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BallotBoxBiology
If you dont have a milly by retirement and paid off house, you [bleep] up or got screwed along the way (cancer). Especially anyone retiring now. You had it damn good.

Using the 4% rule that's $40K/year today. Not much unless there is a pension in the mix. Of course social security will help. Twenty years from now?

40k a year with no debt is a lot and easy to live on. In the future this will be almost impossible to achieve.

Thanks boomers.

They still think they "earned" their SS.

It's sweet.

Just let people keep their own money. Don't need some fugked up govt program buried in adimistrivia to give your own money back to you after using it for 40 years to fund wars all over the world.

That about says it.

With some actual guidance...I bet the money would have been put to better use.

As it stands though....people are getting more than they paid in....so your taxes are long gone.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interest on a banked million is marginally enough today to carry a family through all of life's events. If one could get 8% return annually and not touch principle, that's only $80k, so the sail boats, planes, and Jaguars are likely out. One could squeak by, but would not be the talk of the town.

Cookie and I worked hard, saved some, have pensions, some IRA's, and social security, and are probably spending about a million bucks about every 11 or 12 years. We are comfortable, still saving some, but not living high on the hog by any means. Inflation is a concern too.

If I could time travel and return, I'd go to the future, look up my obituary, and come back knowing just how long my resources have to last. Could die tomorrow or last another 25 years. That uncertainty keeps me on the conservative side, as a need for something like an $80K pickup is still a hit.

Win one of those substantial lotteries though, and I'd likely never post here again. I'd be way too busy traveling and doing sh-t.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/27/24.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in a subdivision surrounded by million dollar plus homes. The retirees own them free and clear, the young folks, its doubtful. Including housing in net worth here it is easy to be a millionaire. But, I don't know anyone taking trips to Africa. Liquid cash available- who knows.

The government keeps saying it want more affordable housing constructed, it is essential! When asked the government spokesmen admitted they didn't have a definition of "affordable housing".

Jim

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 6 Ps with proper execution of plan makes for a more pleasant retirement. Planning on the lottery is a fools plan.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I live in a subdivision surrounded by million dollar plus homes. The retirees own them free and clear, the young folks, its doubtful. Including housing in net worth here it is easy to be a millionaire. But, I don't know anyone taking trips to Africa. Liquid cash available- who knows.

The government keeps saying it want more affordable housing constructed, it is essential! When asked the government spokesmen admitted they didn't have a definition of "affordable housing".

Jim

Those million dollar homes in your neighborhood are not an asset to the young folks. They're a chain around those young folks' neck. They only realize any liquidity when they sell, and if it's worth more than what they paid for it. I do know people that are constantly buying the next bigger house.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BallotBoxBiology
If you dont have a milly by retirement and paid off house, you [bleep] up or got screwed along the way (cancer). Especially anyone retiring now. You had it damn good.

Using the 4% rule that's $40K/year today. Not much unless there is a pension in the mix. Of course social security will help. Twenty years from now?

40k a year with no debt is a lot and easy to live on. In the future this will be almost impossible to achieve.

Thanks boomers.

I don't know, I'm not sure I could live like I'd want to on $40K/year. Without factoring in mortgages or vehicle payments my expenses are about $2500/mth or $32,250/year. Doesn't leave much for vacations, fishing tackle, whiskey and beer...

there has been lots of studies on where people feel comfortable ...retired ...on a yearly income, 75,000.00 a year seems to be a sweet spot. of course depends on where you live. quick math....1mil....you could draw 50,000.00 a year for 20 years with no interest. add in 25,000.00 ss per year.....interest stretches it out....also depends on how much you want to leave behind. I have taken pretty much all of my big ticket items off when I was working....couple left then it will be hunting and fishing locally and couple of different states, that's the way I planned it....also when you retire start off with new or fairly new cars/trucks, it may sound cool to be driving around with 350,000 on your truck...no thanks...bob

Hah. That's funny, Bob. My vehicles don't usually make it anywhere near 350,000. But, that was when I was always buying American cars. Mine might make it to 200,000. If they do, they're usually crawling into the dealer lot. We'll see how this 4Runner does. In 4 years, this thing is still tight as a drum. But i'm not beating it up every day with construction material going in and out of the back of it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone remember the TV show, The Millionaire"?
....... "Another millionaire, Mike".... I recall that show from when I was quite young. I asked my dad what he would do if someone gave him a million dollars. I couldn't believe it when he told me he wouldn't spend a penny of it. I thought he was nuts until he explained how you could live a decent life just from the income it could generate and how some wealthy folks who live in regular, middle class homes and work regular middle class jobs are actually millionaires who will become even more wealthy by not spending all their income on status symbols and other flashy crap. As I got older I've seen it myself and always took that lesson to heart.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've heard it said of millionaires that the first generation earns it, the second generation grows it, and the subsequent generations spend it. That has been, pretty much, a reflection of what I've seen, although sometimes the second generation is so deep into drugs and alcohol that they burn through a lot of the capital before the third generation gets their chance to spend much of it.

I know a guy whose family sold their business for around $40M. He is deeply into drugs and alcohol. His older sister was also deeply into drugs and alcohol, but she died in her 50s. His younger brother is also deeply into drugs and alcohol, but lives the life of a ski bum and mountain biker, winters at Grand Targhee followed by northern hemisphere summers at Thredbo. The brother that I know spends money in amounts that make you shake your head. Private charter jets to Europe. Private yacht charters on the Caribbean and Mediterranean. At one time he had a Saracen armored car. He has at least 6 houses or condos in places like Telluride, Palm Springs, and Palm Beach that I know of that he pays caretakers to maintain. He has 2 daughters who are in their 20s, but he doesn't take care of them because they remind him of his first, of four, failed marriages. He is toxic, living proof that money doesn't buy you happiness.

If I had generational wealth and my kids were irresponsible, I'd put a fair portion of it into a professionally managed trust for each of them that would make distributions in amounts that would allow them to have comfortable lives, but not be able to piss away the capital.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've heard it said of millionaires that the first generation earns it, the second generation grows it, and the subsequent generations spend it. That has been, pretty much, a reflection of what I've seen, although sometimes the second generation is so deep into drugs and alcohol that they burn through a lot of the capital before the third generation gets their chance to spend much of it.

I know a guy whose family sold their business for around $40M. He is deeply into drugs and alcohol. His older sister was also deeply into drugs and alcohol, but she died in her 50s. His younger brother is also deeply into drugs and alcohol, but lives the life of a ski bum and mountain biker, winters at Grand Targhee followed by northern hemisphere summers at Thredbo. The brother that I know spends money in amounts that make you shake your head. Private charter jets to Europe. Private yacht charters on the Caribbean and Mediterranean. At one time he had a Saracen armored car. He has at least 6 houses or condos in places like Telluride, Palm Springs, and Palm Beach that I know of that he pays caretakers to maintain. He has 2 daughters who are in their 20s, but he doesn't take care of them because they remind him of his first, of four, failed marriages. He is toxic, living proof that money doesn't buy you happiness.

If I had generational wealth and my kids were irresponsible, I'd put a fair portion of it into a professionally managed trust for each of them that would make distributions in amounts that would allow them to have comfortable lives, but not be able to piss away the capital.
"Shirtsleeves, to shirtsleeves, in three generations."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm basically pretty rich and here's what works for me.

Keep driving your old vehicle.

Keep living in your old house.

Keep working and making money.

Keep living like a king at home.

Keep humble bragging about being rich.
that right there is exactly class act type people. this day and age especially on farms it doesn't really take that much to have a million dollars in assets. the key is to have it all paid for and not borrow any more money and operate within your means..

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

a lot of statistics show exactly what you're saying first generation earns it second generation grows at 3rd generation loses it.. businesses and farms both..
I really don't want to have to come back from the grave and kick my kids ass...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Keep your 2nd house and your first wife, and with a little luck, you’ll retire a millionaire. Problem is retiring with $1 million in your 401k doesn’t really go that far these days.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Jetboi you a millionaire?

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (batch, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,054
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.