Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bowl season.

What did I learn about the SEC?

Tennessee has a very good passing attack and matched up very well against Wisconsin... a game that cost the job of the UW defensive coordinator and offensive line coach BTW.

Florida has a lot of skill position talent but really needs to do some work in the trenches. The loss to Michigan could have been worse.

LSU was a better team than tOSU. And that they have the ability to put pressure on an offense without getting burned deep. Their fans who kept telling us they were decimated by injuries were probably right. This team would win the Big Ten conference. No doubt in my mind.

Arkansas was outplayed easily by a team I underrated. They have some work to do.

Kentucky is not very good. They struggled with a mediocre team that had 36 suspended players. 36!

Miss State has the heart of a lion but don't carry many weapons to the fight.

Auburn is a quality team that will be much better next season when they switch to the SO. But for this year it must have been frustrating.

Georgia? Didn't learn a thing. As I stated at the outset, Hawaii should have been put in a category with Central Michigan. They are a mediocre team even if you do have to like them.

The best conference? Maybe. But there are a lot of teams who have nothing to do with it if they are. A lot of the SEC teams are very beatable. A few of them would be top shelf in any conference. But most top finishing teams in most conferences could say the same.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by Foxbat

2003 was a split National Title. LSU won the Coaches, USC won the AP.

Wrong. LSU won the BCS, not just the coaches poll. USC got a share of it, but not the real deal. Since '98, the crystal BCS trophy is what matters. 10 years, 10 trophies, 10 national champions.

Oh, dear gawd. The BCS and coaches poll were one and the same in 2003. There was no separate "BCS title". If you think that USC thinks it's 2003 title is lesser than it's 2004 title, you need to step away from the bong.

Auburn fans were praying for an AP split in 2004. You think they wouldn't claim they won the NC if they had got it?

Show me one major sports source that doesn't recognize them as co-champions. There isn't one. Just less than knowledgeable LSU fans.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Capitol 1 Bowl
2002: Auburn 13 Penn State 9
2003: Georgia 34 Purdue 27 (OT)
2004: Iowa 30 LSU 25
2005: Wisconsin 24 Auburn 10
2006: Wisconsin 17 Arkansas 14
2007: Michigan 41 Florida 35

Outback Bowl
2002: Michigan 38 Florida 30
2003: Iowa 37 Florida 17
2004: Georgia 24 Wisconsin 21
2005: Florida 31 Iowa 24
2006: Penn State 20 Tennessee 10
2007: Tennessee 21 Wisconsin 17

Hmm Big 10 7 win to SEC 5 wins

Please explain how the SEC is a better conference all around!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Big Ten is NOT weak
Thanks to another subpar performance by Ohio State in the BCS Champsionship Game, all we will hear for the entire offseason is how weak/slow/unathletic the Big Ten Conference is. Ohio State at least showed up in this year's game, unlike the embarrassment that was last year's BCS Title Game, but in the end the Buckeyes were done in by mistakes and a great LSU team took advantage. LSU was obviously the best team Ohio State had played all year, but the Buckeyes were not as overmatched as some are making it sound. The game basically came down to turnovers, a blocked field goal, and a roughing the punter penalty on OSU in the 3rd quarter. With that being said, hats off to LSU. The Tigers took advantage of every Buckeye mistake and made OSU's nation-best defense look average. LSU was the best team on the field last night, and the SEC was the better overall conference this season. But the SEC vs Big Ten debate is not as one-sided as the media makes it seem. Let's take a look at recent bowl results between the two conferences to show how even both conference actually are.

This year the SEC finished with a 2-1 record against the Big Ten in bowl games. LSU defeated Ohio State 38-24 last night, Tennessee beat Wisconsin 21-17 in the Outback Bowl, and Michigan won the Capital One bowl over Florida 41-35. Last season the Big Ten won 2 of 3 from the SEC with Ohio State's loss to Florida being the SEC's only bowl victory over the Big Ten.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
which, of course is exactly what the pretenders would be saying if they had won it......its a loser whine

Who are you talking to? I've been pro SEC and LSU winning this for weeks. I just can't take the BS that emanates from people wearing conference colored glasses on both sides. You look small and petty claiming your title is anything better than USC's when everyone outside LSU land recognizes them as equal.

I cheered LSU all night. Be a gracious winner and stop trying to make enemies of those that generally back your arguments but won't when you are wrong.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

USC has 1 NC, earned in 2004. And didn't Bama win the NC in '92? That would make at least two NC for the SEC in that 10 year time frame. (Florida in '96)

You're right. I mentally blocked out 1992. LOL

So the SEC won 2 in that ten year period, while the Big 12 won 3 and what amounts to the present day ACC won 5.

USC won in 2003 and 2004. Every single major sports source recognizes USC's AP title in 2003 as co-champion.

USC won in 2003 and 2004, that's 2 as well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I have been shocked at how civil most of the Tennessee fans have been after winning. They have played two really tough games against the Big Ten in 2 consecutive bowl games and seem to believe they have accomplished something when they win against us.

Never did understand why anyone in their right minds tries to tear down opponents they have beaten. Then again, although I love the game I do not measure my manhood by how my teams do on saturday.

Will

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I agree Penguin. My team, which has a history of winning none of the SEC teams can touch in resent history, sucks right now. Do I sit here and thump my chest and try to tear down the SEC? No, I've backed them in the SEC/ Big Ten arguments all year and have said repeatedly that I think it's the best conference right now.

That being said, that is the annoying thing about SEC fans, they absolutely can never return the favor or be impartial. It's SEC or nothing. Back when UM, FSU and Nebraska we dominant, SEC fans just thumped their chest and blamed their schedules and pointed to winning the SEC conference as the greatest achievement in college football. They are the most insufferable fans of any conference bar none. They are totally incapable of carrying on a discussion of college football that does not pertain to an SEC team.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you non-sec boys have got to give it a rest.
please.
snickering here in the south ...

sec has won four out of the the first 10 bcs championship games. the big 12 has won 2. i guess you could say the pac 10 (usc) has won 2.

not even close ...
chortling here in the south.

truly, all the joshing is in good, er, fun there peng.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Then again, although I love the game I do not measure my manhood by how my teams do on saturday.

You obviously have already forgotten the hundreds of replies on your "Penguin Picks"threads!!

Last edited by isaac; 01/08/08.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nor i, isaac.

really, i am joshing.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, neither of my alma maters has ever won a national title in football or basketball. I think WVU won a few rifle championships and Wisconsin has won a few hockey titles. So I kind of just followed them and didn't worry too much about conference strength and whatnot.

Only reason I got sucked into this one was because some of the fans who are doing the chest beating really don't have teams that warrant it. :p

I prayed that God would not allow tOSU to get to the title game this year but for naught... they screwed the pouch again. Tressel is in my doghouse again too. Please anyone but tOSU next season. smile

Will

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
Then again, although I love the game I do not measure my manhood by how my teams do on saturday.

You obviously have already forgotten the hundreds of replies on your "Penguin Picks"threads!!

My manhood has remained unscathed... it is my pride as a prognosticator that has suffered 'shrinkage'. smile

Will

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by isaac

My manhood has remained unscathed... it is my pride as a prognosticator that has suffered 'shrinkage'. smile

Will

Ditto here!

War Damn Eagle!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Oh, dear gawd. The BCS and coaches poll were one and the same in 2003. There was no separate "BCS title". If you think that USC thinks it's 2003 title is lesser than it's 2004 title, you need to step away from the bong.

Auburn fans were praying for an AP split in 2004. You think they wouldn't claim they won the NC if they had got it?

Show me one major sports source that doesn't recognize them as co-champions. There isn't one. Just less than knowledgeable LSU fans.

Nooooo. The BCS is not the same as the coachs poll. In '03 the BCS consisted of the AP, the Coaches Poll, and the average of the computer polls (7 I think?). Same as now except that the AP was replaced with the Harris Poll, pretty much making the AP irrevelant now as far as I'm concerned. I promise if USC snap their fingers and trade that AP title for the BCS they would in a heart beat. They'd be stupid not to. Of course Auburn would have been thrilled to get the AP title in '04. In '03 when I thought LSU was going to get left out of the big game I was praying that we would luck out and get the AP title because its better than nothing. But its not as nice as the big crystal football. As far as major sports sources, every article I've read today has said LSU is the first to repeat in the BCS era.

Also, this isn't an anti USC rant. They were ranked #1 going into the bowls in '03 and earned the AP title.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For the record, my conference is the Big 12, my team the TTU Red Raiders, 5-1 in the last 6 bowl games. It's not my life, I just enjoy good football. The top couple of teams in most of the major conferences are competitive with the top teams in other major conferences. Top to bottom the competition is better in the SEC. Everyone knows it, some continue to deny it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Nooooo. The BCS is not the same as the coachs poll. In '03 the BCS consisted of the AP, the Coaches Poll, and the average of the computer polls (7 I think?). Same as now except that the AP was replaced with the Harris Poll, pretty much making the AP irrevelant now as far as I'm concerned. I promise if USC snap their fingers and trade that AP title for the BCS they would in a heart beat. They'd be stupid not to. Of course Auburn would have been thrilled to get the AP title in '04. In '03 when I thought LSU was going to get left out of the big game I was praying that we would luck out and get the AP title because its better than nothing. But its not as nice as the big crystal football. As far as major sports sources, every article I've read today has said LSU is the first to repeat in the BCS era.

Also, this isn't an anti USC rant. They were ranked #1 going into the bowls in '03 and earned the AP title.

You're missing the point. The BCS and the polls that comprise it are a selection system, not a trophy or title. The Coaches poll and AP remained the titles bestowed upon the winner(s). The Coaches poll agreed to be tied to the winner of the BCS selected teams. There was no separate BCS and Coaches title. The Coaches poll IS the BCS. They sponsor the trophy.
The AP did not and later left the BCS alliance because it saw the BCS as a contrived mess.

As to the bolded. Where did I say LSU didn't win in 2003? it's a co-champion just like the other splits I referenced. LSU and USC were co-champions, period. Like I said, find a major sports news source that doesn't treat them as co-champions. What you think about the AP isn't really relevant is it? No more than if I claimed that Washington's CNN poll win in 1991 was lesser. It's what the rest of the country thinks and since the country receives it's sports news through members of the AP, the AP will remain relevant.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
SEC has won 4 national Championships in the last 2 years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LSU = Lockdown State University.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

2003 was a split National Title. LSU won the Coaches, USC won the AP.

Wrong. LSU won the BCS, not just the coaches poll. USC got a share of it, but not the real deal. Since '98, the crystal BCS trophy is what matters. 10 years, 10 trophies, 10 national champions.

Dude, you're smoking crack....I watched the BCS trophy get handed to Nick Sabin in 2003 from about a hundred feet away. It wasn't the coaches poll trophy, it was the big crystal football BCS trophy.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 1936M71, 47 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,044
Posts18,521,138
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.