Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pappabear
Whatever the brand that Costco sells.

This, and when we run out, store brand. Tried the fancy Irish stuff, but while I could taste a difference, I’m not sure it tasted better, just different. Since I almost never eat bread anymore, it’s not important.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Challenger salted

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Store brand, salted for daily use. Kerry Gold when we make a nice meal for special occasions/Holidays.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Challenge or store brand salted. No more land o lake since they took away the indian girl

Be reasonable. Do it my way!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kirkland brand at Costco
Get it in 4 one pound packages
Decent butter.

living the good life every day
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
“Everything’s better with Blue Bonnet on it!” - margarine quarters and tub butter. Sometimes Country Crock.
When cooking with real butter during holidays we get GV Walmart, Land O Lakes or Kerry Gold.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you ever checked into what butter is made of? Cream, of course, but there are variations. Homemade butter is made by simply churning cream and salting to taste. Commercial butter might be made that way but more likely it's made from the whey from cheese making. Whey butter will be higher in butterfat and lower in water so it'll be harder than homemade. Soft butter will have some vegetable oil mixed in so it'll stay soft at a lower temperature. That's handy for camping because we can keep it in a cooler or RV fridge and it won't be like a rock. We never use it at home, though.

Color is determined by the cows' diet. Cows on green grass will have a darker yellow color. Feed lot cows (probably 90% of the commercial butter) eat more grain which makes the butter whiter. Natural white butter is supposed to be lower in lactose.
A few butter makers will add color. If they do, it'll be on the label. It might be called annatto. American butter makers generally don't do that, though. It's a European thing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by carrollco
“Everything’s better with Blue Bonnet on it!” - margarine quarters and tub butter. Sometimes Country Crock.
When cooking with real butter during holidays we get GV Walmart, Land O Lakes or Kerry Gold.
I won't eat margarine. It's plastic. Not food. Stick a package on a shelf and leave it for a couple years. Then see what it looks like. It won't deteriorate. It'll look like it's fresh from the store. Anything that won't rot isn't food.
I accidentally did this some years back. I had a lb sitting in an old camp trailer for 10 years, literally. It didn't spoil in the least. It's full of trans fat.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the taste of Kerry Gold but its too hard to spread

for cooking I just buy whatever private label they have - usually about 30% cheaper than the name brand.

Lately we've been substituting olive oil. Wife also bought some plant based butter which I refused to touch for weeks until she slipped it in and I couldn't tell the difference.

I'm sure its expensive but it has zero cholesterol and it melts, spreads and taste like butter

Last edited by KFWA; 03/03/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We use real butter. Not specific to one brand though. For sure stay away from the fake seed oil spreads. Horrible flavor and straight poison

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by pappabear
Whatever the brand that Costco sells.

This, and when we run out, store brand. Tried the fancy Irish stuff, but while I could taste a difference, I’m not sure it tasted better, just different.

Grass-fed butter and beef is supposed to have more omega 3's than corn fed, FWIW. I don't eat much bread either, but when I do, it's gotta have a lotta buttah. Same with grits or steel cut oats.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Sam's or Kroger salted. A freshman butter eater here still trying to figure out why my mom used margarine from the 50's & just had me using it for years. Why did she switch from her upbringing?

Bit we switched to butter just a few years ago & won't look back. Everything it involves is so much better. WE might be consuming more fat, but at least not more chemicals.

Knowing now, margarine is a total joke.

margarine was one of the most advertised product introductions in the history of consumer products. Ads, politicians and scientists were bought to scare people away from butter because of "heart risks" and extol the "health benefits" of margarine.

You know, "follow the science".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dutch
margarine was one of the most advertised product introductions in the history of consumer products. Ads, politicians and scientists were bought to scare people away from butter because of "heart risks" and extol the "health benefits" of margarine.

You know, "follow the science".

I remember the "Chiffon" commercial jingle, "If you think it's butter, but it's not....."

When we were kids, it was all over TV but we changed it to "If you think it's butter but it's snot....."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We leave our butter which is real butter out on the counter in a container with a spreading knife at the ready. It doesn't spoil and spreads nicely. My father insisted on it being margarine and being refrigerated very cold to cut down on expense and usage.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
We leave our butter which is real butter out on the counter in a container with a spreading knife at the ready. It doesn't spoil and spreads nicely.

us to, I was paranoid about it spoiling but we go thru probably a stick every two days.

Wife recently bought some container specifically for leaving butter on the counter

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our butter sits out all the time. The only exception is if we leave town for a week or so. Then we'll put it in the fridge even though it probably isn't necessary. Salted will keep longer than unsalted but for us, the difference is irrelevant. I like salted better anyway.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amish Country Roll Butter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get the Kirkland brand grass fed stuff. Salted.

If I’m at WallyWorld, I get Plugra salted.

Occasionally will pay for Kerrygold, but I’m a cheap bastard.

Never knew how good butter was until I started buying real stuff. Grew up on Country Crock type spreads. 🤮

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Grass-fed butter and beef is supposed to have more omega 3's than corn fed, FWIW. I don't eat much bread either, but when I do, it's gotta have a lotta buttah. Same with grits or steel cut oats.

True, but it's more than just "omega 3's". The entire lipid profile is shifted away from omega-6's, so also more ALA (Alpha Linoleic Acid), MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides) and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid). ALA gets converted to EPA and DHA in the body (inefficiently; the same fat that makes walnuts "good for you"). MCT's stimulate metabolism and reduce fat deposition. CLA has strong anti-carcinogenic properties.

Yet, even today, with stacks and stacks of research showing the idiocy of the nutritional advice of the last 70 years, the howls of "saturated fat, saturated fat, saturated fat" echo through the halls of teaching hospitals. They haven't had their fill of being wrong, yet.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by oldcuss
Land o' Lakes or Cabot
L of L is about $7/# here.. Eff that... Store brand is $3.30/#. Still too high, IMHO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,390
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.