Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll stay out of your fight region6 , but you know after watching the pd's spread the bubonic plaque thru the Thunder Basin grasslands in wyo to the Buffalo Gap grasslands here in SD handling them is not to bright. On thru BG grasslands across private into Ft Pierre grasslands and north thru the reservations. Even some in the Grand River grasslands up by Lemmon SD. I am sure it made it to ND too. All I need from them is to watch them launch or flop if they make back to their hole so much the better. Shrapnel gets off handling dead dogs too so your not the only one. Set a good example not an uninformed one. Pictures of handling dead dogs that could be carriers is not smart..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I'll stay out of your fight region6 , but you know after watching the pd's spread the bubonic plaque thru the Thunder Basin grasslands in wyo to the Buffalo Gap grasslands here in SD handling them is not to bright. On thru BG grasslands across private into Ft Pierre grasslands and north thru the reservations. Even some in the Grand River grasslands up by Lemmon SD. I am sure it made it to ND too. All I need from them is to watch them launch or flop if they make back to their hole so much the better. Shrapnel gets off handling dead dogs too so your not the only one. Set a good example not an uninformed one. Pictures of handling dead dogs that could be carriers is not smart..mb

Good post. Those that touch those dirty bastids, have some major problems..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Region6
I generally stand in the sidelines and listen to your $hit. That is not a prairie dog. That’s a gopher, ground squirrel, example of your bull $hit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😘

You are a stupid fu ck for picking up that flea bag. Damn you ran when god said brains, because you though he said rains.. It's good to stay on the sidelines, unless you want to learn a little something about shooting. If not. STFU..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tikka Nut: Those long tailed Weasels (that you pictured/posted) are legal to Hunt/shoot where I woods loaf!
Are you confusing that Long Tailed Weasel with the Black Footed Ferrets which are federally protected everywhere?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by ingwe
Prepare yourself...a lot if not most PD shooting nowadays is pay to play.

Remember.........p/dogs like irrigated property

With that means a $250K irrigation pivot system (per field)

I have shot PD's for years and years in MT and have had quite a few extended trips to WY, CO and UT and I cannot ever remember shooting a PD in an irrigated field. I have shot a lot of ground squirrels in irrigated fields but even they seem to concentrate more around the edges of them rather than in the field itself.
Curious - it makes me wonder if PD's liking irrigated fields is just a regional thing?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by drover

I have shot PD's for years and years in MT and have had quite a few extended trips to WY, CO and UT and I cannot ever remember shooting a PD in an irrigated field. I have shot a lot of ground squirrels in irrigated fields but even they seem to concentrate more around the edges of them rather than in the field itself.
Curious - it makes me wonder if PD's liking irrigated fields is just a regional thing?

drover

In my past 25+ yrs of dog shooting......

Irrigated fields & edges of these fields are magnets to them

Even while the pivots or wheel lines are running water

Just last year...dogs directly under the running wheel line...taking a bath...

Soggy dead dogs right now

Wheel lines are on 12 or 24 hr sets...run mine on 24 hr sets

Meaning they are rolled ahead approx 100' every 24 hrs..ground gets a good soaking

Pivot systems...when they run/roll/move...they're on timers...Can't barely see the wheels rolling

Once the field is watered over...they're shut down till next time

Not sure of your knowledge of these systems....

Pic......20 Duece (20-222) cleaning house with the 40 V Max

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I generally stand in the sidelines and listen to your $hit. That is not a prairie dog. That’s a gopher, ground squirrel, example of your bull $hit.

😘

You are a stupid fu ck for picking up that flea bag. Damn you ran when god said brains, because you though he said rains.. It's good to stay on the sidelines, unless you want to learn a little something about shooting. If not. STFU..

I'm guessing that you've never drank milk that was a day past expiration?
Next you'll be telling us that a guy should never touch a mangy coyote, well... because of the mange....yikes..... whistle

Last edited by TRnCO; 03/06/24.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That would suck!!!

Shot one at 500 yards the other day, with the 308w, with my SWAT buddy watching through the spotter. The dog didn't want to come too far out of his hole, so I shot. I saw the dog flopping around after the shot, but couldn't quite make it out through the NF. Buddy said, "you shot his damn head off". I said, I didn't know if I hit him, but I saw him flopping around.

Right now, with it snowing off and on, our opportunities are very few and far between. Good luck to the OP. Hopefully he finds a great place to shoot..

That is definitely a ground squirrel not a PD. The general area of PD habitat is west of the Mississippi, east of the Rocky mountains and south of Canada, although there are a few scattered colonies in extreme southern Canada.

Factoid - per the USFW there are 15 species of ground squirrels in the northwest (ID, OR, WA, MT, CA) and 4 species of marmmot and rock chucks, but no PD's.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drover

drover

In my past 25+ yrs of dog shooting......

Irrigated fields & edges of these fields are magnets to them

Even while the pivots or wheel lines are running water

Just last year...dogs directly under the running wheel line...taking a bath...

Soggy dead dogs right now

Wheel lines are on 12 or 24 hr sets...run mine on 24 hr sets

Meaning they are rolled ahead approx 100' every 24 hrs..ground gets a good soaking

Pivot systems...when they run/roll/move...they're on timers...Can't barely see the wheels rolling

Once the field is watered over...they're shut down till next time

Not sure of your knowledge of these systems....

Pic......20 Duece (20-222) cleaning house with the 40 V Max

We have pivot systems here so I am familiar with them. I lived in MT for 25 years and I had never seen PD's and pivots in the same field in any of the places that I have hunted, but I have seen ground squirrels in them.

Actually pivots brought a great resurgence to the local ground squirrel population, prior to pivots most of the places here were ditch irrigated and the ground squirrel population was very low, once the pivots were installed the population boomed. I suppose mostly because of them not being flooded out by the ditch irrigation. Also because we are like your area and are very dry and the squirrels depend on their moisture from what is on the plants.

Interesting to say the least.

drover

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

😘

Either way

You're not very smart.....

Do not pass this stupid move to your offspring

picking up these flea bag/plague infested critters is a dumm fppuuggkin move

People die every year from this same dumm azz move

wake up

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

^^^^^^^^^

CORRECT

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Good post. Those that touch those dirty bastids, have some major problems..

p/dogs..........gophers.......what the hell ever

Leave 'em lay where the V Max left 'em

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Avg of 7 cases a year for the last decade..

Scary stuff boys

Almost as scary as covid...

Hell, sitting on your shooting bench in or around a field covered in pdogs is probably just as likely to get plague. What makes ya think those fleas are only ON the pdogs.

Last edited by TRnCO; 03/06/24.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TRnCO

😘

I'm guessing that you've never drank milk that was a day past expiration?
Next you'll be telling us that a guy should never touch a mangy coyote, well... because of the mange....yikes..... whistle

The most he has to worry about is paper cuts and sticking a staple through his hand.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
TR could be, but hey you play with the carcasses all you want..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
The most he has to worry about is paper cuts and sticking a staple through his hand.

gawdamn...... I'm fugging rolling here.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by SLM

gawdamn...... I'm fugging rolling here.....

Ruger 77/17 M2 got its first 6 p/dogs for the summer this week

Diggin SOB's

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes the plague has been very hard on the ‘dogs. Over populated on ground that the forest circus banned shooting on sure didn’t help.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 29 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.