Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
MM, light mayo means a light scrape on the roll. Diet/light mayo is far out of my wheelhouse.

Light mayo, light sour cream, light beer. All abominations. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
MM, light mayo means a light scrape on the roll. Diet/light mayo is far out of my wheelhouse.

Add "light jazz" to that list

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For an on-the-way-home treat here, I get a torta from one of the roadside vendors. I like mine with beef and some guacamole, onions and lettuce. Get extra napkins, 'cause it can get messy, and jalapenos, 'cause we're in New Mexico.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

ANY jazz

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RUM7
Real side of the road taco truck tacos.
Gotta go with al pastor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hell yeah….. one of the few good things about this state. We have a Carniceria here in town that does the traditional Al Pastor on a Trompo….. I’m also a sucker for REAL Carnitas cooked in a large copper Cazo …..simmered all morning in lard…. 😎

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

ANY jazz
Wrong!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oscar Peterson Trio

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by RUM7
Real side of the road taco truck tacos.
Gotta go with al pastor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hell yeah….. one of the few good things about this state. We have a Carniceria here in town that does the traditional Al Pastor on a Trompo….. I’m also a sucker for REAL Carnitas cooked in a large copper Cazo …..simmered all morning in lard…. 😎
Hella good…… I have a few spots that never disappoint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the suns down and I had to put some food in the gullet asap…….QT

Have seen zero food wagons out and about much past lunch for the labor crowd, but QT is 24/7 and has killer egg rolls and some passable BBQ sandwiches. If it’s late (early) enough, maybe even a smoked brisket breakfast taco.

I’m sure downtown Charlotte has some better options. I’m simply not familiar though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As is par for the course, some answered the question and others stumbled off into the woods. wink

Cut and posted from the original post: "Lots of places have their regional foods, and maybe some favorites to grab on the way home after a couple of pops with the fellas."

Does one stop in to buy lutefisk regularly for lunch or something to grab on the way home after beers with buddies to eat when home? How about that nice slab of beef served on a nice ceramic plate with mashed and au jus on the side? That a thing you can call in to pick up at midnight after shooting pool? Platters or sushi or a dozen raw oysters along with a bucket steamed crabs called in on the way home? whistle

Here in New England anyway, most any town, depending on size of same, has between a handful to literally hundreds of sub shops/pizza joints in the big cities. You can get things like wings, chicken fingers, pies, salads and subs. A 'steak bomb' is but a slightly more robust form of the standard 'steak and cheese' sub. The fried onions, peppers and salami are standard on the 'bomb', but it comes however you like to order it. Hold the salami? Fine. No mayo? No problem. Add hot peppers? Sure. You want a different kind of cheese on your steak and cheese? OK, sure. Swiss, provolone, cheddar? Name your poison. No need to hate on another man's choice of cheese. Even if it's not quite a cheese. Hell, some consider that nasty, semi viscous bright yellow slop that they put on Philly steak sandwiches a cheese... smile

I rarely do chain type fast food joints, so like last night, with the wife already asleep and me not wanting to bother throwing anything together myself, called as I was leaving the club. Ten minutes later, I had my hot bomb in hand and headed home. Thought about Chinese take out, but outside the city most anything you're going to get will be American Chinese, and for a proper plate it'll cost maybe triple that of a simple sub. I've had and kind of enjoyed 'poutine', which is definitely a quick, cheap and common favorite in Quebec, but I know of no where close that serves it.

Bravo to those who actually understood and answered, with extra points to those who showed what they were talking about. Those tacos, sausages and topped beef patties are exactly what I was asking about: tasty regional casual favorites you can order on the way home. They all look damned tasty.
In upper MI there is a sub shop that sells a sandwich called the Torpedo. Chopped steak, American cheese, salami, pickles, mushrooms, mayo and giardinera peppers.
There is also a place where I grew up called big John's that sells steak and onion hoagies with mushroom,mayo, and a spicy sweet red sauce.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothin' like a good Italian grinder.........................sanwich that is. grin (Oh, the other kind is good too, but this is a sammi thread, right?)

Unfortunately, where I used to live in SoCal they had a great Grinder shop, they just closed way earlier than bar time which would have been a great time for one of their specialties.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oscar Peterson Trio
That's a good place to start for non-light jazz.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oscar Peterson Trio

Barney Kessel.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oscar Peterson Trio

Barney Kessel.
Will have to look for something of his.

Looking at a Monk CD next to me and he's not on it, or on any of the other CDs I have that I know of.

Probably heard him on late night jazz shows on the college stations I've listened to over the years and just didn't know it.

But, this is a food thread so I wonder, did he like a good sub sammich after a gig?

Last edited by Valsdad; 03/07/24.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shorty Rogers, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Jimmy Giuffre, Shelly Manne, Russ Freeman, Bill Holman, André Previn, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond.

West Coast Jazz is the Best Coast Jazz.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
But, this is a food thread so I wonder, did he like a good sub sammich after a gig?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Baby potatoes, salt pork, meat from 4 wild rabbits, 3 goose, mushrooms, celery, onions, carrots, roux, garlic and much more. Slow cooked for about 4 hours. Bunch of fishing, hunting and shooting fools included.

Every single one of these cats voted for Trump. Every single one

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slim Jim meets Swiss Miss.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cool

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Baby potatoes, salt pork, meat from 4 wild rabbits, 3 goose, mushrooms, celery, onions, carrots, roux, garlic and much more. Slow cooked for about 4 hours. Bunch of fishing, hunting and shooting fools included.

Oh my that looks delicious.

And say thanks to those MA fellas for their votes.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Probably be good if you threw the goose in the trash!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 9 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.