Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting how we wallow in the ballistic minutia. Much more fun to shoot & hunt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by pete53
PRESSURE QUESTION? a cartridge case that is 95 -100 % filled compared to a 70 % - 85 % 0r less can the cartridge with less powder sometimes have more pressure problems using the same type powder ?
Less fill means more variation in powder position and density, which would result in more variation in the pressure curve.

i wonder if anyone ever posted those kinds of results ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by MikeS
As mathman says the pressure works over a period of time to accelerate the bullet. A short duration/peak of pressure may not do as much work as a lower peak but longer duration.

Explanation ignores the ever increasing volume of the gas mixture, and violates the General gas law. PV/T=P'V'/T'
Not if you consider the increasing number of gas molecules that occupy the volume. PV/(nT) = P’V’/(n’T’)

The Mole ratio stays the same

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Interesting how we wallow in the ballistic minutia. Much more fun to shoot & hunt.

Yes that's true, but its the interest of the topics being discussed that has developed the rule of thumb reloading methods, gun manufacturing etc.. that has allowed a larger participation in the fun side.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Explanations for the non technical reader often require some simplifications.

Last edited by MikeS; 03/09/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeS
As mathman says the pressure works over a period of time to accelerate the bullet. A short duration/peak of pressure may not do as much work as a lower peak but longer duration.

Explanation ignores the ever increasing volume of the gas mixture, and violates the General gas law. PV/T=P'V'/T'
Not if you consider the increasing number of gas molecules that occupy the volume. PV/(nT) = P’V’/(n’T’)

The Mole ratio stays the same
I haven’t looked deeply into the specific “burn” rates, but the deflagration process involves varying time dependence of the phase change of molecules from solid to gas.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
So I ran an unintentional experiment this morning with my 338 WM. Wanting to test some velocity starting points with new brass and bullets I decided to make 5 blow off rounds to shoot through a squeaky clean bore to begin with. For those five cases I used SIG 7MM RM fired brass, decapped them and ran them through a FL sizing die only. I did not run them over a mandrel to size the necks (neck tension was skookum) nor did I anneal the cases as I normally do before sizing. I did nothing else to the case. I added a primer, 71gr of IMR 4451 and a 225gr SST seated to the cannelure.

Here are the results. I wouldn’t call this velocity finding stability.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Have you ever noticed how handloaders, me included, chase the last foot second from our loads that don't compromise accuracy?

Have you ever noticed that factory loads commonly don't reach factory specs leaving 1-200fps gaps between factory and your handload?

Have you noticed when you hunt with fcatory ammo than animals fall over with well placed shots?

We never learn do we.............

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
So I ran an unintentional experiment this morning with my 338 WM. Wanting to test some velocity starting points with new brass and bullets I decided to make 5 blow off rounds to shoot through a squeaky clean bore to begin with. For those five cases I used SIG 7MM RM fired brass, decapped them and ran them through a FL sizing die only. I did not run them over a mandrel to size the necks (neck tension was skookum) nor did I anneal the cases as I normally do before sizing. I did nothing else to the case. I added a primer, 71gr of IMR 4451 and a 225gr SST seated to the cannelure.

Here are the results. I wouldn’t call this velocity finding stability.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rookie stuff..

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldotter
Rabbit hole just got infinitely deeper....
One thing I need explaining pertains to my load development of my 22 Hornets. H110 and LilGun have almost equal burn rates (ranked 60 and 61 in my chart) Always thought pressure and velocity go hand in hand, however LilGun produces much lower pressures than H110 at similar velocities. not just a trivial amount either. What am I missing?
First question I would ask is "how are you quantifying pressure?"

Assuming peak pressures are the same, some powders are apparently showing a slower tail off in pressure basically increasing the "push" down the length of the barrel (versus just kicking it in the ass out the case). In other terms some powders increase the "Area Under the Curve" or AUC in the Time/pressure curve. That's kinda been the holy grail for powder manufacturers with people experimenting with duplex powder loads (layered charges of different burn rate powders) and other strategies. Some manufacturers have apparently cracked the code on that (or so says "Johnny's Reloading Bench YouTube Channel").

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/09/24.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PRESSURE QUESTION? a cartridge case that is 95 -100 % filled compared to a 70 % - 85 % 0r less can the cartridge with less powder sometimes have more pressure problems using the same type powder ?
Less fill means more variation in powder position and density, which would result in more variation in the pressure curve.

i wonder if anyone ever posted those kinds of results ?
That phenomenon is well known by older highpower shooters. The M1 Garand 30-06 loadings were limited on powder selection because of the requirements of the gas system. Slower burning powders that we today accept as providing optimal loading density (like 4350) can't be used in Garands without risking damaging the gas system. Powders in the acceptible burn range like 4064 and 4895 didn't fill the case and left alot of opportunity for variation in positioning in the powder charge. An old highpower trick was to tip the barrel upward to settle the powder against the primer.
The introduction of the 308/7.62 NATO chambering (and the M14) brought an immediate increase in scores. 7.62 chambered Garands saw similar improvements. It wasn't that the 308 chambering was more accurate...but rather the powder constraints placed on the Garand handicapped the accuracy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Originally Posted by Bugger
Rotational acceleration can be calculated but like MD and others wrote, it’s insignificant compared to other factors such as linear acceleration, deformation of the jacket due to rifling/friction.

The main thing I don’t get for sure is the secondary explosion which is uncommon and I have not read a credible explanation or maybe I just forgot. But here’s my guess: the friction is great enough to reverse the acceleration and pressure builds/spikes enough to become an explosion. I suspect this happens mainly with a powder charge that is in away from the primer and the powder doesn’t sufficiently ignite until a short time after initial ignition. From what I’ve read, it seems to occur mainly with partially full case of slow burning powder if I recall correctly.
My apologies to others who explained this phenomena better than this.

The guy you would have wanted to discuss this was Jim Ristow, owner of Recreational Software and designer of the Pressure Trace. He was pretty proud that his device documented several instances of Secondary Detonations. He'd talk your ear off about it if you gave him the chance. I wasn't too interested in the phenomenon back then, so I can't tell you what his theory was. Like in so many other things, I wish I had paid more attention.

I've not experienced pressure increases that can be attributed to twist rate, alone. Conclusion is based primarily on MV of same loads shot thru different twist rate barrels. Fastest twist tested was 1:1 (looked "threaded" more than "rifled").

On the "secondary explosion", I've never seen that documented via the piezo pressure measurement technique. If anyone has one, please post it as it would be fascinating to review.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by oldotter
Rabbit hole just got infinitely deeper....
One thing I need explaining pertains to my load development of my 22 Hornets. H110 and LilGun have almost equal burn rates (ranked 60 and 61 in my chart) Always thought pressure and velocity go hand in hand, however LilGun produces much lower pressures than H110 at similar velocities. not just a trivial amount either. What am I missing?
First question I would ask is "how are you quantifying pressure?"

Assuming peak pressures are the same, some powders are apparently showing a slower tail off in pressure basically increasing the "push" down the length of the barrel (versus just kicking it in the ass out the case). In other terms some powders increase the "Area Under the Curve" or AUC in the Time/pressure curve. That's kinda been the holy grail for powder manufacturers with people experimenting with duplex powder loads (layered charges of different burn rate powders) and other strategies. Some manufacturers have apparently cracked the code on that (or so says "Johnny's Reloading Bench YouTube Channel").

I am quantifying pressure by the Hodgdon 2024 Reloading Manual. I seriously they would print bogus data of that nature.
40 Gr SPR SP 13 GR LilGun 2826 FPS 28,400 CUP
40 Gr SPR SP 11.2 GR H110 2795 FPS 41,800 CUP
What I don't have a clue how you get 31 FPS difference with 13,400 CUP difference, with the slightly faster charge getting that much lower CUP. LilGun is magical beyond my expertise. Thats what I was hoping one of the many smarter fellows than I could explain why and how.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those numbers don't tell you the entirety of the pressure curves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Those numbers don't tell you the entirety of the pressure curves.
Nor are they all that precise compared to piezo pressure measurements.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
All "science" measurement devices have limitations. Understanding these and building models, math or otherwise, to fill in the gaps is part of the methodology. There are many "Black Swan" events in a single cartridge firing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Measurement uncertainty is ever-present, and the precision limitation of the device is only part of it. For those interested, the GUM (Google it) will tell you all you want to know and more. Fair warning- it takes some effort to get undergrad physics students to understand the nuances, as it’s not a light read.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another good tool box is Matlabs Neural Network toolbox

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
Originally Posted by Bugger
Rotational acceleration can be calculated but like MD and others wrote, it’s insignificant compared to other factors such as linear acceleration, deformation of the jacket due to rifling/friction.

The main thing I don’t get for sure is the secondary explosion which is uncommon and I have not read a credible explanation or maybe I just forgot. But here’s my guess: the friction is great enough to reverse the acceleration and pressure builds/spikes enough to become an explosion. I suspect this happens mainly with a powder charge that is in away from the primer and the powder doesn’t sufficiently ignite until a short time after initial ignition. From what I’ve read, it seems to occur mainly with partially full case of slow burning powder if I recall correctly.
My apologies to others who explained this phenomena better than this.

The guy you would have wanted to discuss this was Jim Ristow, owner of Recreational Software and designer of the Pressure Trace. He was pretty proud that his device documented several instances of Secondary Detonations. He'd talk your ear off about it if you gave him the chance. I wasn't too interested in the phenomenon back then, so I can't tell you what his theory was. Like in so many other things, I wish I had paid more attention.

On the "secondary explosion", I've never seen that documented via the piezo pressure measurement technique. If anyone has one, please post it as it would be fascinating to review.

Ristow's pressure graphs are available on the wayback machine. He used Strain though, not piezo. I'll see if I can link some stuff in here.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/10/24.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.