Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I loved Jean Claude in that movie

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time change weekend used to be one of the funniest times of the year for me, back when I was writing.

It all started back in the early 2000s. I was trolling through the NWTF forum and stumbled on a thread discussing how the onset of DST was going to affect turkey hunting. I saw this as a golden bit of material and began writing reports on the effect of DST on the turkeys. In the fall, I did the same thing with the deer. Over the years, you'd be amazed at how many people bit.

Over time, I evolved the Blackhole Institute of [Deer in fall/Turkey in spring] Studies and staffed it with various characters borrowed from other bits of my apocryphal writing. Chief of these was poor Scooter. Scooter had originally been the orphan mascot of the pro-staffers at Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine. Some folks had the idea that the pro-staffers had some central facility where we met. Mind you, there were supposed to be one pro-staffer per state, although I doubled up and did Ohio as well as Kentucky. I and a couple of other pro-staffers fed the fantasy. Yes, we had a secret facility. Yes, we all hung out together. Yes, we even kept an orphan boy named Scooter, and were teaching him how to be a consummate deer hunter. Scooter had an elaborate back story, so I borrowed him for the Black Hole Institute.

You'd be surprised how many folks treated this seriously. Some of my fellow pro-staffers were sharing email with me. We were getting questions about how we had to prove our mettle as pro-staffers (feats of strength, woodsmanship, etc.) I got a heartfelt serious email from a high-schooler in Kentucky who wanted to dedicate his life to being a pro-staffer and wanted to know how to apply.

Scooter had a rough time of it. Every season, he'd get injured trying to place the temperature probe into the buck or gobbler. Or something else would happen while studying the effect of DST on game. At one point, I announced that we'd had a breakthrough and that the Blackhole Institute was now selling an anti-DST clock.

Announcing the Anti-DST Clock
That's #3 son, Angus, playing the part of Scooter. The idea of the clock was you set it to the old time and convince the deer or turkeys that nothing's changed.

At some point the schtick with Scooter kind of wore thin. By this time it had been a decade or so. I killed off Scooter and his girlfriend in some terrible lab accident and was left with their infant son, that (of course) was adopted by the Black Hole Institute. Wash Rinse Repeat. Shortly after that D&DH and T&TH closed their forums and did away with their pro-staff. I walked away with many fun memories of thoroughly catfished readers screaming that DST had nothing to do with game behavior and a few sad memories of the souls that bought in.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For a 9-5 guy, it is nice to be able to come home from work and do some stuff outside without it being dark. Allows me to hunt after work in the fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
I never understood why people care that much about it either way. I get a kick out of people bitching about losing an hour of sleep or whatever. I could not care less about an hour either way. I'm a farmer though so sleep is not all that important to me.

THIS !!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I would prefer to go to Daylight savings time and stay there.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This one kinda sucked...I had to get up at 0300, I woke up at 0150 and thought "Ah....one more hour of sleep." Nope! 10 more minutes of sleep! Oh well, it will buff out soon enough.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ready for what??? It's not a big deal!

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, here we are. Amazingly, the sun came up this morning and the birds are at the feeders.
I have carpal tunnel in my left hand. Actually, it's both hands but the left is a lot worse. It was acting up last night and I didn't get much sleep so I'm adjusting to the clock change by being dragged out. I'll need a long nap this afternoon. There's not much point in going to church because I'll just sleep through it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just one of those things the Amish find so amusing about us.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ready for it?
I hate std. time... Give me DST and I'll smile forever.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Have always hated it!

C
C
[Linked Image]

Attached Images

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm retired. I get up when I feel like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wut?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'
My clocks all use the Network Time Protocol (NTP) over the Internet. Maybe one day some of the folks here will join the rest of us in the 21st century.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Otter
Myself, I'm retired, so I don't really care what time the clock says it is . . . but my garden does appreciate the extra hour of growing light during DST season.

I hope this is satire

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Otter
Myself, I'm retired, so I don't really care what time the clock says it is . . . but my garden does appreciate the extra hour of growing light during DST season.

I hope this is satire

Pfft

We got people calling mineral surfaced roll, β€œtar paper”

JFC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wish they would leave it DST year round, but the time change doesn't affect me one way or the other. It's one hour folks, you can do this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no preference, just pick one and leave it that way. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.