Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty good 4 minute video discussing Longstreets actions and frame of mind during the climax of Gettysburg.
Pete has long been blamed for Gettysburg, mainly by other officers who were guilty of dropping the ball themselves, and history writers with axes to grind.
Many, including Virginia natives wrongly accused Pete of dragging his feet in a misguided defense of the memory of Robert E Lee.

Since I read a lot of history, I have come to admire Pete. Longstreet damn near defeated elements of 3 Union Army Corps with 2 divisions on July 2nd.
Getting warmer finally. Me and Jake are fixing to make a day trip the end of this month. He’s never visited without the leaves and vegetation, which often block the true lay of the ground.
I’m rereading “Stars In Their Courses” in preparation for some exploration myself.
These discussions ahead of time are of interest for others planning a visit. Good preparation always makes a trip more enjoyable and educational.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Some piss poor leadership that day AP Hill is to blame more than Pete

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I will be in Gettysburg on Thursday of this week, the 21st. I will drive thru the park just to recollect past visits.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
He was a great tactician and a credit to the prosecution of the war in my opinion. His men liked him and he took care of them. He was a masterful defensive tactician and warned Lee about Gettysburg. He was and remains greatly vilified for joining the Republican party after the war. He had the audacity to criticize Lee for his execution of Gettysburg. That has earned him the hate of the 'solid south'. I always have thought he was a great credit to the southern effort however unjust it was. He fought with great skill and dedication.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lee ignored his defensive genius, his left hand, telling him the Union position could not be broken. Result was Lee lost about 60% of the effectiveness of his army. Plus Longstreet effectively quit Lee's command and went to the West Within 12 months Lee lost his offensive and defensive experts. Lee's genius was making decisions, without options that were effective......

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
The pipe creek line would’ve been a interesting battle

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have read a great deal about “Old Pete”. Glenn Tucker and several others have examined him pretty thoroughly, I have yet to read anything negative, unless the author was trying to prove Lee a master tactician. Certainly nothing in the last 40 years.
Several have offered substantial rewards for any criticism prior to Lee’s death and Pete’s support of the Republican part in 1870. No one has collected a dime.
Lee’s Tarnished Lieutenant
Pete was slandered y Jube Early and William Pendleton, both of whom had some skeletons to bury regarding Gettysburg. After 10 years of criticism, Pete replied with his Autobiography. “From what Manasses to Appomattox”. Some of which is not accurate due to the time of its writing. ( more than 15 years had passed) In it he was defensive of himself and did criticize Marse Robert some. This only vilified him further in the minds of southern veterans.
Many were promoting the myth of “The Lost Cause” which defended southern ideals in general and Lee in particular. They lost the war due to greatly unequal resources, in spite of Lees expert leadership.this only gathered steam, and influenced most historians up through the centennial of the war.
Finally the record began to straighten itself out. Shaara’s book “Killer Angels” has given Pete a more positive spin , and most people are starting to reevaluate his role in Gettysburg and the war.m
I do enjoy these discussions. Often I’m informed of things I hadn’t known from others. I figured with folks thinking about a visit, this would be a helpful and informative conversation.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Put a dime on the va monument for me when you go 😉

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I believe you owe 20 cents. 2 ancestors in Picket’s Division if I remember correctly? 😀
A dime if you served in unit with the person.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ya I’ll pay you back one day🤣👍

IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
From what I gather Pettigrew and Trimble were aiming for a different “copps of trees” than Pickett that’s why Pickett kept veering left.The artillery was fuqkd for the same reasons not that it would’ve mattered with our schit fuses 😂

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Your credit is good with me, at least for 20 cents!😀
Sorta puzzled by another copse of trees though. Maybe Ziegler’s Grove around the Brian House which is around 200 or 250’yards from the copse that marks the “High Water Mark” of the assault.
Wasn’t Pattons grandad one of Trimbles brigade commanders? I believe he was killed at Zieglers Grove.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was a college student in Milledgeville Georgia in 1975. I lived in an off-campus apartment. My neighbor was a single, 70 year old granny. Now, in 1863 Milledgeville was the capitol of Georgia, so the history goes way back.

One afternoon she flagged me down, a heavy package had been delivered to her apartment and she wanted me to help her, to carry the package into her apartment. On the wall was a beautiful framed portrait, a painting of General Longstreet. I said to her "Isn't that General Longstreet?"

She said "Yes, he was my grandfather. I still think we would have won the war if he had come up earlier at Gettysburg." She was talking about the battle as though it had happened last week.

William Faulkner: "In the South, the past is never dead. It's not even past."

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Yeah zieglers grove the mix up b/t AP Hill and Longstreet.AP was layed up with the clap or some kinda schit he caught off some gal in Richmond 😄🤣 things got construed.Pettigrew and Trimble were several hundred yards left of Pickett at the start we had to keep shifting exposing our flank 👍

Last edited by earlybrd; 03/18/24.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was a college student in Milledgeville Georgia in 1975. I lived in an off-campus apartment. My neighbor was a single, 70 year old granny. Now, in 1863 Milledgeville was the capitol of Georgia, so the history goes way back.

One afternoon she flagged me down, a heavy package had been delivered to her apartment and she wanted me to help her, to carry the package into her apartment. On the wall was a beautiful framed portrait, a painting of General Longstreet. I said to her "Isn't that General Longstreet?"

She said "Yes, he was my grandfather. I still think we would have won the war if he had come up earlier at Gettysburg." She was talking about the battle as though it had happened last week.

William Faulkner: "In the South, the past is never dead. It's not even past."
If Pickett’s division woulda been there day 2 I strongly believe the tide would’ve turned 👍

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Everything has the air of inevitability with hindsight, but the truth is the South had at least half a dozen good chances to win the war before Gettysburg and several after. A few different decisions, a few troop movements few minutes earlier or a few minutes later, a lost order, a misunderstood order, a few seconds longer to make sure of an identity, and so on, and things would have been entirely different.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
We gave them yankys hell JimBob 🤣

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Another fuqk up on AP Hill watch the boys comin out the woods lining up for Pickett’s charge on the movie and you here a yell “Archers brigade forward” read up on Archers brigade day 1 it ain’t pretty

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Your credit is good with me, at least for 20 cents!😀
Sorta puzzled by another copse of trees though. Maybe Ziegler’s Grove around the Brian House which is around 200 or 250’yards from the copse that marks the “High Water Mark” of the assault.
Wasn’t Pattons grandad one of Trimbles brigade commanders? I believe he was killed at Zieglers Grove.
It was Patton's uncle. I believe he was killed at the angle in Picketts charge. Patton's grandfather was a Confederate general. I'm not sure but I think he was in the 22nd Virginia

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've read, the generals had played poker with one another, and knew how they thought.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.