Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Someone is gonna buy it.

If I needed it, I’d buy it, but I don’t, so I won’t.

At some point, things will probably stabilize, but we may not like where that point is. Then is when the big decision must be taken; schitt or get off the pot…..

Ordinarily, when sales drop, eventually prices follow, or at least some retailers will close stuff out, creating buying opportunities, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on bargain powder. Ammo is different, at least the common, basic stuff like .223. Slummy’s Whatamart has a lot of buying power, so they can offer good prices, but they don’t see much of me since The Plague.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Think of it this way…that’s only a penny per grain….😁🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by slumlord
Suddenly pulling your britches up to your Boomer armpits and daring to step foot into Walmart for a $32 box of Winchester centerfire ammo doesn’t seem so awful.

Come to think of it, the last time I bought any factory ammo anywhere was at Walmart. I picked up a couple of boxes of 150 gr. Power Points. I always test a new rifle with some factory to take measurements and get an accuracy level. Once I have that it's reloads only. This got me to thinking, when in hell did I buy that .270??? It must have been around 2008 as I used it in 2009 for an antelope hunt.

Once I started reloading my ammo, I used my reloads to take my deer and never bothered with factory ammo. Much of my shooting was with the 30-30 or 30-06 and later with the 30-06 almost exclusively. Brass was from a large supply of WW2 war surplus 30-06. Mostly LC 42 and LC43. I still have a large supply of that milsurp brass plus about 200+ LC52 IIRC.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I'd like to think that way,but the reality is, foreign companies are taking control of the ammunition market.Endless wars and long term US government and NATO contracts are making it very hard on the public consumer of those products.

https://shoot-on.com/update-czech-company-to-purchase-major-american-ammunition-brands/

https://www.coltczgroup.com/en/medi...-small-caliber-ammunition-sellier-bellot

https://magtechammunition.com/about-us/

Combine that with the fact that Hodgdon has sole distribution of that product, ie. a monopoly, and suddenly you have $80 a lb powder.

I’m glad I’m sitting on 3 - 8# bottles of it. It should last until I take my dirt nap. They were ~$300 each a few years ago. I’m betting we see $100 a lb for some powders like this and Retumbo next year.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hodgdon has rip-off down to a science.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last December I bought a keg of H4350, with shipping it was $48.75/lb delivered to my front door.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Craigster
A pound, for IMR 4350 @ Sportsman's WH, today.
Let 'em eat it...

You'll own nothing and be happy.
More truth than poetry, you'll own nothing...
An elderly single woman sold her house and land to my kids about 6 yrs ago...moved to an apartment in Seattle to be near family..she got in to the apt for 800 per month...she is now paying 2200 a month. Her kids checked to see who owned the apt building, Bain Capital. Further reading, they found private equity firms now own 31% of residential real estate in the US...projected to rise to 70% in 2035. The PE firms can afford to pay any amount over market, and then jack the rent to cover the investment. And don't forget, as everything goes up, so does appraised value of your property...hence up goes your property tax.
Being conservatives, we like capitalism, but is there a limit, a point at which the Masai bleed the cow so often, so heavily, it dies?

Yep. Real estate is a funny deal and has become an investment vehicle for many.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Those magnums that eat up 70-80 grains of power per shot suddenly don’t seem so awesome anymore.

42gr and a 143 makes a lot of sense.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Someone is gonna buy it.

Unfortunately you're 100% correct. I call those folks FOMO (fear of missing out) HOMOs.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dinny
Someone is gonna buy it.

Unfortunately you're 100% correct. I call those folks FOMO (fear of missing out) HOMOs.

Or, maybe, "people who like to shoot and will continue to do so".

Me

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Consider the political climate in this country, and tell me this crap isn’t being orchestrated!
Our government has basically declared war on her citizens. Has been waging it for years.
They’re importing 2nd and 3rd world immigrants illegally, planting them in places in order to swing elections. They have caused rapid economic inflation, making your $ worth less by the month.
They are phasing out the use of fossil fuels in the name of “climate change”, even though we could probably be energy independent with proper management. Over half the population is now considered “a threat to democracy”!
Tell me this is just accidental. Tell me I am just being paranoid.
I don’t care if you are a believer or not, but it is impossible for anyone who has read part of the Bible and not see the hand of evil in this.
Reon
I believe you are 100% correct, I fear the only thing that can save America today, is Divine intervention, we’ve been so blessed at least 3 times in our history, the big question today is have we ,as a people, forsaken the lord to the extent he no longer feels us worthy.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Teal
Someone is gonna buy it.

A fool and his money is easily separated.

Medics bury their mistakes..
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
Those magnums that eat up 70-80 grains of power per shot suddenly don’t seem so awesome anymore.

42gr and a 143 makes a lot of sense.

I'd agree, except I wouldn't say suddenly. In my opinion a large majority of magnums have been quietly sitting in gun cabinets since 2020. The bigger they are the more they've been sitting.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Suddenly pulling your britches up to your Boomer armpits and daring to step foot into Walmart for a $32 box of Winchester centerfire ammo doesn’t seem so awful.

True. Same goes for burning up alternative propellants you might already have on hand.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Depends on how much you like to shoot. $32 ammo is the smaller case capacity stuff.

Even at today's outlandish prices.......$80 a lb powder, $45 a box C&C bullets, and $100 a brick primers. I could load 30-06 for $24 a box at those prices.

57 grains of IMR 4350 & a 165 gr bullet & a 10 cent primer. Something like a 308 or 7mm-08 could be loaded at those prices for $21 a box.

I'm shooting powder, bullets and primers for under half that, but someday I'll have to buy powder if I want to keep shooting.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
Someone is gonna buy it.

A fool and his money is easily separated.

The Clam Speaks

Me

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sure does make it difficult for the younger college age kids to get into reloading for the fun and enjoyment of shooting, reloading, testing results. When will the madness end.

FJB and his inflation, wars, etc.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was in Cabela's this morning and it was $64.99. I guess I should have bought a pound.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
Was in Cabela's this morning and it was $64.99. I guess I should have bought a pound.

$65 @ Cabela's
$75 @ SW

Who's screwing who ?

We're all getting screwed.

Thank you Hodgdon.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by JMR40

$65 @ Cabela's
$75 @ SW

Who's screwing who ?

We're all getting screwed.

Thank you Hodgdon.

Who sells more powder overall and gets better pricing from Hodgdon?

Me

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.