Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
2 quick stories of JW
1,I was maybe 18 ish,2 of the lads knocked on the door and I answered
OOhh ooohh you guys are those Jehova Fittnes people,,
I did 3 jumping jacks then a few squat thrusts,,they just slowly backed off the porch.
2 following summer
My brother answered the door having just got out of the shower(wet hair and just shorts)
I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around my waist,snuck up behind him and said"come on baby ,lets get back in the shower"

They didn't stick around

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I won't listen to a word they say. When I read the bible , I ask God to give me wisdom so I know what he is trying to tell me.. I dont even listen to our pastor much . The reason is , they are men... Men can be very foolish and wrong about many things. I ask God to give me wisdom when I read the bible. If he doesn't give me the wisdom to understand , then who's fault is that if I dont understand. Therefore, I rarely listen to men, and never to women.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't stop at my gate

Not interested

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tell them you're an apostate and they'll never return again.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don’t usually have patience for them. Same with most religions. Recently I had a real young JW come to my house and I was shocked. I didn’t think they still made them young. I know they’re out there calling themselves JW but to have a young one dress up and go door to door and put up with uninterested people all day and do the real work seems kind of unusual. I’ve always seen the old timers do that. I decided I wanted to talk to this kid. It was a real good discussion that lasted over an hour. Not a whole lot of talk about Bible junk, but we did talk some about that, the stuff I wanted answers to and he did try. I told him he can come back anytime. It was pleasant on both sides I think.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They stopped at my place ONCE years ago and insisted that I take a copy of their "Watchtower" magazine. I did but then insisted that they take a magazine of mine in exchange. There was no way that dude would even touch the Penthouse I tried stuffing in his chest.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ihookem
I won't listen to a word they say. When I read the bible , I ask God to give me wisdom so I know what he is trying to tell me.. I dont even listen to our pastor much . The reason is , they are men... Men can be very foolish and wrong about many things. I ask God to give me wisdom when I read the bible. If he doesn't give me the wisdom to understand , then who's fault is that if I dont understand. Therefore, I rarely listen to men, and never to women.
Originally Posted by ihookem

This good advice^

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I had one knock on my door this morning. My 2 german Shepherds were going crazy at the window. She left a paper that had no reference to her denomination. The pups did their job.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Another great Christian outfit...always showing up to help at fires, floods, hurricanes etc. Snork.
They are not worshippers of Christ

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
comerade is exactly right. If you read their history it is laughable.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Another great Christian outfit...always showing up to help at fires, floods, hurricanes etc. Snork.
They are not worshippers of Christ

They're one of the Millerite sects. Not the craziest, that title goes to the 7th Day Adventist, but a close second.

My two biggest problems with them is they insist on separating their member from everyone, even their own family members, who are not of the same sect, and their reliance of prayer in place of modern medicine.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They used to stop here and try, I was cordial but uninterested.
One Saturday I was working on something and in a mood,
4 of them showed up. Ask the usual questions, I told them we go to church,
but they wanted to question me more. I calmly and quietly told them we weren't
going to talk about it, they could leave. They kept wanting to talk about it.
Stayed calm, "I ask you to leave once, I'm telling you to go now. Please leave."

They haven't been back in 20 years.

Mormans?
Sane deal until they woke me one morning after a graveyard shift.
Beating on the door we don't use, I met them in jeans, no shirt or shoes, on the side of the house. Didn't get loud, or curse. They also persisted past my patience.
Firmly told them to leave, and they did.
Haven't seen them in a long time either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 of my cousins one's a preacher are Jehovah when family members die, they come to the wake, but they will not go in a Catholic Church for the service. When we were kids out playing with our new toys from Santa their kids got none you could tell they were hurt and jealous.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I don't recall ever talking with a JW member. What is their religious ideology??

L.W.
Just give us your address and time you’ll be home. We will make some calls and send some to your home!! Thank us later!! LOL!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I don't recall ever talking with a JW member. What is their religious ideology??

L.W.

Only 144,000 will go to heaven. Do the math, millions of JW's over the decades and only 144,000 of them have a shot at heaven?? They're nutty.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had a conversation with one years ago. He informed me that Easter was a from a pagan religion. I said “ Oh! You’re one of the Jehovah False Witnesses aren’t you? “ Kinda sent him into a new orbit. Last one I have seen.

GreggH

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Haven’t seen one around here in a while

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good evening, I hope that you and your fine family are all well tonight.

Way back in the day I worked with a couple that were professing JW's and all I can recall being different about them was they didn't observe Christmas or Easter.

There are some doctrinal differences for sure though, one of which is they use a translation that interprets the sixth Commandment as "Thou shalt not kill" and not "Thou shalt not commit murder", which is a huge difference in my view.

As mentioned in other posts, I grew up in a pacifistic church and that was one of the reasons I left the church in my teen years.

When I started attending again in my early '20's, it was not at a pacifistic leaning denomination, as apparently my wiring doesn't lean that way.

Anyways a wee story about them visiting and the pacifism.

One hot Okanagan summer day when I was much younger and somewhat more inclined to stir the pot for the sake of stirring, a pair of them came to our apartment where we lived then in the town south of us. One was a younger lady and one older, it could have been a mother and daughter but that's a guess at best.

They wanted to talk to me and I said I'd grab my Bible quick, did that and in fairly short order opened up the 10 Commandments to see what their version said.

When it came to the 6th Commandment, I stopped them and said, "Wait a minute, does that mean no killing whatsoever?"

The older lady assured me that it did.

I asked her, "Even if someone attacks you? Say you defend yourself and in the process kill your attacker, is that wrong?"

She assured me with even more conviction that it was wrong and she would meekly submit as instructed...

Then I looked at the younger lady first, then at the older lady and asked, "Well if someone attacked this young lady and you defended her, and they died in the process, that's still wrong?"

Again she most assuredly and vigorously said it would be wrong and she would not protect the young woman in any way.

Then, being me and all, I turned to the young lady and said, "Well if I'm there, I'll kill them deader than yesterday, sleep like a baby after and be ready to meet God in the morning...."

That sorta ended the visit right then and there..

I do believe the young lady was grinning a fair bit more when she left than when she came.

As a husband and father, I'm entirely prepared to defend my family with whatever means and to whatever end might come of it, so that's where they and I diverge in our beliefs.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Made me laugh out loud!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we bought our first house one of our neighbours was J.W. The husband was raised in that religion and his wife who was raised R.C. who changed to his religion. Turned out he didn't follow it but she did. They were some of the nicest people we've ever known, we even vacationed with them a couple of times. The woman never pushed her religion to us although she would answer questions if asked.

One time a minister from our church (mainstream) was at our home. My wife asked a question somewhat in reference to something our neighbour had said. The minister turned into a raging bigot and told us what terrible people these J.W.'s were. It ended up with me telling the minister to leave our house before something was said that couldn't be taken back. I think that was the point in my life when I turned away from religion. Other factors were involved but this may have been the greatest.

It is unfortunate that people can't just live and let live. There are reasons why religion and politics are subjects to be avoided.

Jim

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1_deuce, 257_X_50, 222Sako, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.