When we bought our first house one of our neighbours was J.W. The husband was raised in that religion and his wife who was raised R.C. who changed to his religion. Turned out he didn't follow it but she did. They were some of the nicest people we've ever known, we even vacationed with them a couple of times. The woman never pushed her religion to us although she would answer questions if asked.

One time a minister from our church (mainstream) was at our home. My wife asked a question somewhat in reference to something our neighbour had said. The minister turned into a raging bigot and told us what terrible people these J.W.'s were. It ended up with me telling the minister to leave our house before something was said that couldn't be taken back. I think that was the point in my life when I turned away from religion. Other factors were involved but this may have been the greatest.

It is unfortunate that people can't just live and let live. There are reasons why religion and politics are subjects to be avoided.

Jim