Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been round and round with these GD Full Length resizing dies ever since I started reloading (a few months). It appears that my once fired cases cannot be reloaded like virgin can. I followed several different methods for setting up the sizing die and they all seem to vary. Theres another thread on this forum that links you to sierrareloading info and its exactly the opposite of what the instructions state that came with my RCBS dies. In order for me to size once fired brass for my 338 I have to screw the die body in till it touches the shell holder and then back it out 1 1/2 turns or the case will not chamber without difficulty. I can't believe this chit is so difficult and that there are opposite methods for setting up the exact same die. Going through the same thing with my whizzum Geesh! I think I am just gonna shoot all virgin brass and the hell with once fireds!

Rant over, sorry I am just frustrated as hell over this!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Instructions for every steel RCBS sizing die I've used says to kiss and cam over the shell holder. Not being critical, but do you have the proper shell holder? The exceptions are the carbide units that should not make contact.

If there's a real issue, give RCBS and call, and they will likely have a cure headed your way at no cost tomorrow morning.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/10/08.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah but both dies and 2 different calibers? I must be doing something wrong.

I have done exactly that, ram all the way in upward position, screw in die till it's touching shell holder, screw in a 1/4 turn more in or out , pour powder insert bullet, hard to chamber shell!
The only way to make the shell chamber is by turning die out at least a full turn, I can see air between die and shell holder. This is not the case with virgin brass only with fired brass.

Yes I have the correct shell holders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You didn't mention anything about Over all case length. Did you check the cases for length?

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yup they get trimmed to spec.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You need to measure to the datum line on the shoulder. Belted mag cases do not need to be taked to original dimentions to fit the chamber in most rifles. Set your die so that you will be headspacing on the shoulder. Yo can do this with a Stoney Point Headspace gauge or similar tool or use your rifle. There could be other issues causing your problem such as your expander ball moving the shoulder forward. Do a search on this site for Partial Full Length Sizing.Rick.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you run the ram to the top with shell holder in and screw the die in to kiss the shell holder, drop the ram and give the die another 1/4 turn down then secure the lock ring.It`s worked for me for 40 years!!! whistle

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Could it be that the die itself needs to be adjusted internally in or out? Like I said if I get a full turn out off the shell holder it will chamber a shell fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That could be the problem. I'd talk to someone at RCBS (TEC support) on their 1-800-533-5000 number. If you can't get it figured out with them send a new, fired and resized per their directions peace of brass to them along with your dies.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 01/10/08.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
AC
I agree about the RCBS instructions. They are for how to set up for full length sizing and thats it. I have and use RCBS dies, but I did not keep a single instruction set. When I started out I had an issue with what ultimately proved to be a problem with an oversized chamber. FL sizing was setting the shoulders too far back and creating a headspace problem. If I recall from some of your other posts it seems that you have a 338WM. With my experience, which does not include 338, but does include 7mmRM and 300WM, belted cartridges can sometimes have a lot of variation in chamber size, especially the 7mmRM (at least those that I have had).

First try to rechamber a once fired non-sized case in your rifle. If the fired case chambers you are likely dealing with a rifle with a large chamber. If that is the case you will need minimal sizing. A tight chamber will take more sizing, up to and even possibly including setting the die up to cam over as described by huntz a couple of posts ago.

When you size a case you will be able to see the line on the neck of the case to indicate how far the case went into the die. I would back the die out of the press untill the size mark on the case went about halfway down the neck. Try to chamber that case. If it chambers, then you likely dont need to size any more. If it does not chamber, take the die down closer to the press in 1/4 turn or so increments. I always use a different case for each die adjustment and then resize them all again when I get to the sweet spot with that die for that chamber. This prevents over working and hardening of one case that might otherwise endure many sizing attempts, untill the proper adjustment is found. Sounds like you may have a big chamber if you are a turn and a half above the press.

Also when you get to the proper die adjustment, your expander rod will need to be adjusted also. Adjust that to the point where the primer pops out during the last few inches of the press stroke. You might be either pushing the case too far in or even pulling it too far back out with wherever the expander ball is either entering or leaving the case on the press stroke.

You are correct in your assessment that fired brass loads differently from virgin brass. Sometimes the fired brass needs a lot of sizing and sometimes it doesn't. I've never had a bad RCBS die, but I've eyed some Redding dies with fifferent thickness of shell holders or even with different collets to to use to eliminate the use of the expander. This is probably a repeat of what you have done. If that is the case you may have a bum die. Just because I've never had one certainly does not mean they don't exist.

Remember the case spaces on the belt, so the chamber can be a bit longer. When you have a fired case in the die focus on finding the point in the die adjustment where you are headspacing that case on the shoulder. Hope this helps and hope I didn't just tell you what you already knew.

STeve

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect that in following the RCBS instructions you are setting the shoulder back just enough to increase the shoulder diameter. This will prevent the case from chambering.
To determine how far down to size the die lube the case neck lightly leaving enough present so you can see how far down the die is working the case. Wipe the case dry and try chambering. If it is sticky turn the die in another 1/4 turn and repeat the lubing procedure.
You can also use a black marking pen to colour the case neck and watch to see how much colour is being removed.
Presently I only have one caliber out of about a dozen where I have to set the die up to "cam over" i.e. to be set up as you have been doing. In the one die set I have where this is necessary I am starting to suspect that there may be a problem with the make of die being used.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steve thats about it in a nut shell. Is it bad to screw the die out so it is not kissing the shellholder? I am new to reloading so some of the stuff is somewhat confusing but let me ask this. Once my gun has fired a shell that case is now fireformed for my chamber, so by merely backing the die out to only partially size the brass with mostly the neck being resized is that not okay? What I think is going on is that when I FL resize the fired cases I am getting some blocky lines at the base of the shoulder and at the base of the neck and I dont think that it fits the chamber correctly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WOW, slow down there big fella. It's not that bad and it can be fixed in no time.
First, the directions with your RCBS FL dies clearly state to, Raise the ram, screw the die in until it touches the shell holder,then screw the die IN 1/8 to 1/4 turn more.
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/step5.aspx

The directions for the RCBS Seating die states to screw the die in until it touches the shell holder and then Back the die out one turn more. This is to make sure that the crimp feature of the seating die is out of the picture.

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html

I think you are getting conflicting info by mixing "Seating" and "FL Sizing" with you die set ups.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried sizing the neck only and seeing if it chambers? Why are you FL sizing 1x fired brass? Look into purchasing Wilson headspace gauge for your caliber. It will tell you if the brass/shoulder is within specs. You can trace the shoulder movement with subsequent firings. Good info to have to let you know if/when you need to bump the shoulder.

Don't load a case with powder until you have established a dummy round (or 3) that functions in your magazine/rifle chamber with the bullet(s) that you will be using.

Use a magic marker to see what is going on in the FL or NK die. This is very important, and will reveal lots! As Stick used to say, you can blueprint your chamber with a marker.

You will get the problem solved. Just take this as a great opportunity to learn some more reloading "stuff".

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I can sympathize with you, have run into similar situations over the years. The best I can say is if it works for you, do it. I have never had your exact problem and really can't envision what could be happening to cause a full length sized case to not re-enter the chamber it was fired in without difficulty. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but at the same time I suspect that after a few firings with the die set as you describe you will again have chambering problems. If that does happen I would then take at least a half dozen fired cases and turn the die in 1/4 turn size a case and try it in the gun if it fits fine, if not set that case aside do another 1/4 turn and repeat until a case will chamber. I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but some time that is what it takes. The instuctions that come with a set of dies are intended to work in the majority of situations and provide good useable ammunition. By and large most re-loaders are not satisfied with that and tinker with the die setting until the resized cases will enter the chamber with a very light feel or adjust a smidge more until that feel just barely goes away. This provides a very close case to chamber fit and tends to prolong case life. I have several rifles that once I have adjusted the die to the chamber I have daylight showing between the shell holder and die when the handle of the press is all the way down. Nothing to worry about. There are times when small reloading problems will try the patience of a stone statue just give it some thought and stick with it. Last you may have a bad set of dies, though it's hard to think you ended up with two bad sets. But then if the gods aren't smiling anything is possible. Good Luck

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve4102
WOW, slow down there big fella. It's not that bad and it can be fixed in no time.
First, the directions with your RCBS FL dies clearly state to, Raise the ram, screw the die in until it touches the shell holder,then screw the die IN 1/8 to 1/4 turn more.
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/step5.aspx

The directions for the RCBS Seating die states to screw the die in until it touches the shell holder and then Back the die out one turn more. This is to make sure that the crimp feature of the seating die is out of the picture.

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html

I think you are getting conflicting info by mixing "Seating" and "FL Sizing" with you die set ups.

I have those instruction sbut then I read this article on incrimental reloading and it discusses starting a couple turns out and working your way in as opposed to starting kissing the shell holder.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index....p;page=xring&volume=8&issue=1#01

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Chit the way I see it this isn't a cheap hobby by any stretch anyway, maybe I'll just stock up on a buttload of virgin brass and give my once fireds to someone else. Way less headache and both guns shot factory ammo as good as I would want so its not like I am sacrifing much! Bulk Virgin brass here I come! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AlaskaCub, I hope you are not serious. Have you at least tried to just neck size the 1x fired brass? This is not going to be the problem you think it is. Remember, this is fun stuff!!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
AlaskaCub, I hope you are not serious. Have you at least tried to just neck size the 1x fired brass? This is not going to be the problem you think it is. Remember, this is fun stuff!!!

I believe thats what I am doing by backing the die out a turn and a half when resizing, do you concur?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe, maybe not. Use a magic marker. I assume you only have a 2 die set then?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.