Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
Look up Arken SH4J 6x24 349 bucks on amazon, check out the tracking video
https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-6-24X50-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B0CG6195J8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Thanks ! I'll take look.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Given the stated purpose and budgetary restrictions, I'd sell it and get something that will work just as well out to 500 yards and not cost $7 per shot. You won't want to practice much to become proficient with the rifle if you're seeing dollar signs every time you squeeze the trigger. Something between the 6.5 Creedmoor with 147 ELD and 7 PRC with 180 ELD would give you all the ballistic advantage you likely need and want.

Once you're done getting a rifle that better fits the need, I'd grab something like a new SWFA 10x to throw on top.

Good post.
I was thinking the same thing, especially since the budget is tight.

The 10X SWFA and the Arken were scopes I was going to recommend for the budget.

@Wizard1962 ,
If you get someone to help you with the Eliminator, it will also work for your goals as well.
Getting it programmed does take a bit of time, but not much. Check out the Burris website too or call them for help.

Eliminator on a center-grip single shot XP-100 specialty pistol, chambered in 284 Winchester.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out with a real barrel eating beast, the 7mm Allen Mag. the barrel is almost toast, but the knowledge gained was truly worth the cost, could I have learned as much with a 7mm/08? Possibly so but as it stands a new barrel and I have a legitimate 1 mile whitetail rifle. As it stands I have had 18 years of long range practice. the 338 caliber will outlast the 7mm running the same case. Good luck in your venture, mine has been a fun ride!

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I started out with a real barrel eating beast, the 7mm Allen Mag. the barrel is almost toast, but the knowledge gained was truly worth the cost, could I have learned as much with a 7mm/08? Possibly so but as it stands a new barrel and I have a legitimate 1 mile whitetail rifle. As it stands I have had 18 years of long range practice. the 338 caliber will outlast the 7mm running the same case. Good luck in your venture, mine has been a fun ride!

Thanks Ridge Runner

My buddy has this Leupold he will sell for 400

Leupold Mark 3HD 8-24x50mm Rifle Scope, 30 mm Tube, Second Focal Plane (SFP)

Thoughts ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Price sounds good.
Are you going to be okay with a minimum magnification of 8x?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by xphunter
Price sounds good.
Are you going to be okay with a minimum magnification of 8x?

My main hunting rifle is an old Remy in .257 Robert's. It has a Leupold M8 8x on it. Taken lots of game with it.
But will give some thoughts on the 8x24 and maybe look more towards 6x18

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wizard1962

Thanks Ridge Runner

Thoughts ?
2nd FP will only allow using the reticle to range on 24X, other than that if you can get by with 8Xon the low side its a good deal,, have no idea how the mark3's track, all mine have M1 turrets.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Thanks Ridge Runner

Thoughts ?

Sounds like a heck of a deal on a solid scope. Get a quality set of rings/base and rock on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks Ridge Runner

Thoughts ?
2nd FP will only allow using the reticle to range on 24X, other than that if you can get by with 8Xon the low side its a good deal,, have no idea how the mark3's track, all mine have M1 turrets.
Ranging is way down the list of practical uses for the reticle that will be impacted by having the reticle in the second focal plane.

Said scope would also be way down my list of preferences for a LR rig.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks Jordan, what in your opinion should be looking for ?

Thanks

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Thanks Ridge Runner

Thoughts ?
Ranging is way down the list of practical uses for the reticle that will be impacted by having the reticle in the second focal plane.

Said scope would also be way down my list of preferences for a LR rig.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Thanks Ridge Runner

Thoughts ?

Not exactly--Both Luepy and Burris has models that would work on less than max. (Any scope with SFP will do it). Lekupy VX3 Used a varmint reticle in their 4.5x14. using the horizontal wires and turning the mag. ring until the target fit between them, then reading the distance of the magnification ring. IIRC it was set for 30".
Burris in their Fullfield 2 6.5x25 set the crosshair zero at 14 power.

any SFP can be used this way. say the variable range is 3x15 which means that the scope mags goes over a range of 12 and divided by 2 or 6. So the MOA/Mil subtension will 2x that at 9x so the holdovers will be 2x the amount of their markings. Thus the 2 Moa/mil will be 4 etc.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Leupy called theirs the BAS system,,, Burris the Ballistic reticle model.

FFP scopes lose a lot of their reticle utility at the lower mag. powers and an advantage using the SFP is using the turrets at the lower mag. range.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Etoh
Leupy called theirs the BAS system,,, Burris the Ballistic reticle model.

FFP scopes lose a lot of their reticle utility at the lower mag. powers and an advantage using the SFP is using the turrets at the lower mag. range.

Thank you very much for the great information. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not really. The beauty of FFP is that it can act like a simple duplex reticle on low magnification, and provide more detailed subtension information at higher magnification.

Using the turrets is not an SFP advantage, as turrets can be used at any magnification, regardless of the focal plane on which the reticle is placed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Ridge_Runner]any SFP can be used this way. say the variable range is 3x15 which means that the scope mags goes over a range of 12 and divided by 2 or 6. So the MOA/Mil subtension will 2x that at 9x so the holdovers will be 2x the amount of their markings. Thus the 2 Moa/mil will be 4 etc.
In contrast, the subtensions in an FFP reticle are the same at all magnification settings, and that simplicity helps most people keep Murphy at bay.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jordan, what in your opinion should be looking for ?

Thanks
Once you're done getting a rifle that better fits the need, I'd grab something like a new SWFA 10x to throw on top.
Since you describe yourself as old school and likely be better served by a standard scope, the SWFA SS 10x would be a simple and very effective way to get a scope for LR target shooting and hunting for under $500. They are mechanically very functional and reliable, the reticle is very useful, and you don't have to worry about the FFP vs. SFP decision.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not really. The beauty of FFP is that it can act like a simple duplex reticle on low magnification, and provide more detailed subtension information at higher magnification.

Using the turrets is not an SFP advantage, as turrets can be used at any magnification, regardless of the focal plane on which the reticle is placed.

I should have worded it better, SFP doesn't need the hold over as the turrets can be used at lower powers for the holdovers. The disadvantage of the FFP at lower powers is an obscure reticle. The advantage of the FFP is that at higher mags. the hold offs and hold overs don't have to be done in the head

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Each shooter has their own way that comes to them easier. You must find yours.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
any SFP can be used this way. say the variable range is 3x15 which means that the scope mags goes over a range of 12 and divided by 2 or 6. So the MOA/Mil subtension will 2x that at 9x so the holdovers will be 2x the amount of their markings. Thus the 2 Moa/mil will be 4 etc.

Wouldn't the values double at 7.5x?

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (1minute, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 29 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,081
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.