Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think these large predators need to know humans hunt them or they begin to see humans as just more prey. My friend who used to live in Alaska said our grizzly bears in island Park are much bolder and more aggressive than those in Alaska. He thinks it's because the Alaskan ones are still hunted and recognize humans as a predator to be weary of.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
2ndwind: Sad.
And a shame.
I also remember when there was a bounty on Mt. Lions in taxington - we had wonderful Mule Deer and Mt. Goat Hunting back then and folks were safe in the woods.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

As an aside, when I first started deer hunting in Fall of 1963 in Calif, there was an open season on Mountain lions. You did not need a tag but you were required to have a valid hunting license. There was no limit on how many you could shoot as they were classified as "pests." Realistically you'd have been lucky to shoot one. They're rather secretive and stealthy. From 1963 until 1997 when we left, I saw three and I was up in the mountains a lot. Did not shoot at any as I had no chance.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
This may sound insensitive but I support the reduction of leftist scum by any means necessary. Mountain lions are logical creatures, to them if idiots are going to provide themselves as a defenseless food source why blame the lion?
Amen,brother.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
These kids wernt leftists, scum, or idiots . Proud family of hunters, and loved the outdoors.
I havnt heard the full story yet , as far as them being armed, etc. In contact with a family member, so will find out soon enough
I know the father was a hunting guide, Republican, and gun lover. Its a shame you lump Ca. people into one group, far from the truth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenster99
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Just found out I know them, sad news. Lived about 3 miles from my property in Ca.

So were they leftist scum who deserved to die, according to rickt300?

Not at all. Very accomplished young hunters. There dad is one of the best turkey callers around.

P

However no one said they deserved to die, only that they took a risk and paid the price for it.
Back tracking...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

F
F
Got an observation and question, I live in the fakahatchee preserve in SW FL, I encounter Fl panthers,what you guys out west call mountain lions, all the time. Just walked up to a female with two kittens a few weeks ago, I have never had any signs of aggression from any encounters and I do not know of any recorded attacks in FL. Why do you think the western cats so much more aggressive. Our cats were crossbred with Texas cats about 20 years ago because of our shrinking habitat and resulting inbreeding but the even before that they never showed any aggression. Maybe us Floridians just don't taste as good.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
fakahatchee;
Good afternoon, well evening no doubt for you all, welcome to the 'Fire from just across the medicine line in south central BC.

Again with the firm understanding I'm an expert in not very much and big cats aren't part of that.

When we have a bad winter here, it's not unusual at all for ranch and rez horses to get clipped by a cougar.

As well I recall hearing that the late guide outfitter from one valley east of us was pushing a big tom one winter and it killed 3 adult moose in a bit more than a week. He figured that was unusual and it wouldn't have done that if they hadn't been pushing it.

Still and all, one has to imagine wrestling a horse or moose down with your teeth and claws when it outweighs you several fold and isn't remotely interested in going gently into any good night has to take a fair amount of determination.

If I was guessing then and for sure it's that - a guess - I'd guess maybe it's somewhat learned behavior in that the western ones learn to kill bigger stuff and more variety of stuff.

Again welcome to the 'Fire.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to be decent deer hunting around Stumpy Meadows Reservoir and Uncle Tom's cabin outside of Georgetown. My deep condolences to the family.

I had a coworker that told the story of his grandfather riding fence on horseback in the snow when a mountain lion in a tree jumped on his back and killed him.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Loved Stumpy Meadows and Hell Hole area . Me and some highschool friends would take an aluminum boat to the east end, and camp next to the Rubicon river . Would usualy stay 5-7 days, and not see another sole . No trouble with lions then , they were legally hunted , but plenty of rattlers.

F
F
Thanks for the welcome, been a lurker for years. The ease of finding an easy meal might be part of it, there is a lot more panthers than there was 30 years ago and they sure are doing a number on our deer and hog population.I've got about 15 deer that I feed on my property every day and we lost one of our older does last Dec. to a panther, found her remains, all covered up, about a 1/4mile from the house.We lose half of the fawns every year to panthers, bobcats and bears.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by fakahatchee
Thanks for the welcome, been a lurker for years. The ease of finding an easy meal might be part of it, there is a lot more panthers than there was 30 years ago and they sure are doing a number on our deer and hog population.I've got about 15 deer that I feed on my property every day and we lost one of our older does last Dec. to a panther, found her remains, all covered up, about a 1/4mile from the house.We lose half of the fawns every year to panthers, bobcats and bears.

let`s put it this way : did or do these critters have a collar on their neck ? that`s how you decide ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Just found out I know them, sad news. Lived about 3 miles from my property in Ca.

Not at all. Very accomplished young hunters. There dad is one of the best turkey callers around.

P

However no one said they deserved to die, only that they took a risk and paid the price for it.
Back tracking...

You noticed that too, eh?

He’s right, it’s a free country, he can show his ass all he wants. I didn’t expect the cowardice, though.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

P

Back tracking...

You noticed that too, eh?

He’s right, it’s a free country, he can show his ass all he wants. I didn’t expect the cowardice, though.

But, if you consider the source, is it all that unexpected?

F
F
Originally Posted by pete53

let`s put it this way : did or do these critters have a collar on their neck ? that`s how you decide ?
Not sure what you mean, if you are referring to the deer, they are wild and come and go as they please, just enjoy there presence. I know panthers got to eat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This may sound insensitive but I support the reduction of leftist scum by any means necessary. Mountain lions are logical creatures, to them if idiots are going to provide themselves as a defenseless food source why blame the lion?
So, two young guys, out shed hunting, in a very rural area, are likely to be "leftist scum"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do you think the western cats so much more aggressive.

Hi fakahatchee. I tend to doubt the western cats are more aggressive than your Florida cats. Just thousands more lions spread out over numerous states out west and the odds catch up every so often and somebody gets attacked. Out west, virtually anyplace that has brush or trees for cover and deer, will have a lion using the area when they make their rounds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Double wow, check out some of the comments:

@masonb.newkirk3266
6 minutes ago
Why wouldn't the cops have brought a tranquilizer gun instead? Killing the mountain lion solves nothing! They could have easily stunned and relocated him. It's graphic, but I want to make it clear: those two brothers walked into the mountain lion's territory. The mountain lion didn't show up in the town and attack them randomly; they took a chance and placed themselves in the mountain lion's habitat.
Every time there's one of these type reports they come out of the woodwork it seems.

According to a local rancher he lost a calf to wolves recently. F&G won't confirm it was a kill as the carcass wasn't recovered when they got there, but his cattle feeder guys saw the wolves on the carcass and apparently they have some cam pics or such. Not far from our place from what I've heard, maybe 4-5 miles.
So the hand saw the wolves on the calf and didn't get at least 1 killed??

That dude would be hunting a new job.

Now you know as much as they are telling us. I don't personally know the rancher, or if he allows/insists his hands bring a rifle with them or carry. I also don't know if he'd pay the legal fees were one of his hands to kill and endangered species while performing duties for him. That would probably cost him quite a bit more than the value of the dead calf. Also, according to this story, there is no proof the wolf/wolves killed the calf, just that one was eating on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So the hand saw the wolves on the calf and didn't get at least 1 killed??

That dude would be hunting a new job.[/quote]

Why? Because he didn't tell everyone every detail about what happened? Most of the time it's best to shut up.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lonny
Why do you think the western cats so much more aggressive.

Hi fakahatchee. I tend to doubt the western cats are more aggressive than your Florida cats. Just thousands more lions spread out over numerous states out west and the odds catch up every so often and somebody gets attacked. Out west, virtually anyplace that has brush or trees for cover and deer, will have a lion using the area when they make their rounds.

We've spent hours and hours out in our local "woods" Lonny and the only lion we've seen is one my wife saw from her car when it crossed the road as she was headed to work 5 or 6 years back.

That doesn't count all the time I worked in the woods in NorCal doing stream surveys for a timber company, or all the hunting time I've put in while living in various states including up by you. We did have at least one come through the housing area at Lower Granite as I was driving in one night after work. Ran down the road in front of my car.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
These kids wernt leftists, scum, or idiots . Proud family of hunters, and loved the outdoors.
I havnt heard the full story yet , as far as them being armed, etc. In contact with a family member, so will find out soon enough
I know the father was a hunting guide, Republican, and gun lover. Its a shame you lump Ca. people into one group, far from the truth.

Condolences to their family from Alturas.

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.