Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BORING!

Can you list an accomplishment that might lead someone to believe that you have something to offer a member of this site. Consider it your resume...

Not everyone is at the same level of experience, and that is a wonderful thing, but a blank profile on someone who is an antagonist and brings nothing to the party is pretty lame.

Give us something! Please

Taylor

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This year I hunted bear, sheep, moose and mountain goats in Alaska. I didn't get a sheep, but not for a lack of trying. The goat was a solo hunt and I learned alot about a new rifle and myself and gear. It was a perfect hunt in alot of ways, and I feel blessed for having experiencing it.

I have been in Alaska for 8 years and try to hunt everything, every year. It's become a liability that I'm addicted to...

Taylor

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
hello sir,

my name is henry. i read that you were a marine scout/sniper instructor. i would like to know what it takes physically mentally emotionally to become a scout sniper. it has been a dream of mine for a few years. i own nearly every book on the subject. i have so many questions. are you willing to answer them. if so email me at sportsfan7292comcast.net

thank you sir

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Henry,
If you own nearly every book on the subject, then you know alot more than I knew before I first fired a M40A1, back in '85, on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.
Join the Marines and spend a couple years in the grunts and MAYBE you will become a sniper as well.
Maybe.
Nothing I personally can do for you at this point.

Taylor

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mark,

Those of us who oberve this site regularly don't need a "resume" posted for those whom we've come to respect.

In my opinion respect is earned based on continued observation, it is not based on a resume. This comes from years of corporate experience where resumes build someone up, but in the real world, the person doesn't live up to the hype.

To me, obervation and discussion, show me the person. Not trying to discount your request, just trying to put it into perspective.

In response to your request:
Family Man & Father, Dog Owner, Hunter (NH white tailed deer & bear, Muzzle Loader, shotgun, archery and rifle) , Hiker, Backcountry & RV Camper, Reader, Traveler (Mexico, Carribean, Canada & 39 states) & Business Professional (edited - this is what I do, not who I am).

I would also say that with regard to your response to Sportsfan7292, it seems clear that he has read all of those materials and still has questions, which he has asked for your guidance on. I'm curious why you can't aswer his questions, as that certainly seems like something you can "personally" do for him.

Not trying to piss you off here, but if you're asking for information on people so that you can determine their level of experience, it would seem to reason that you could go out of your way to help those that are asking for your advise.

Food for Thought - Have a nice day.

NH Hunter

Last edited by NH Hunter; 01/11/08.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ron, noob to this site, found it linked on Kifaru's site. Recently separated father of 2, well 3 actually, adopted my wife's daughter. Been fishing since I can remember and hunting since I was old enough to do it legally. Became interested in backpacking as a way to get to more (read: better) fishing and hunting locations. Also got tired of spending more time packing/unpacking for car camping trips and figured if I couldn't carry it on my back it wasn't necessary. Now I will do backpacking trips just for the sake of doing it, lots of places to see.

Can I stay?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Welcome to the fire Bluffview!

NH Hunter

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've found it's pretty easy to figure out who's what on this site... if you pay attention. "Most" of us here are around to learn and share what we know in a friendly manner. Posts like yours and the attitude it expresses are part of the problem, not part of the solution... and that is BORING.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1, Brad. Anyone here is free to ignore my posts if they don't like my "resume." I will say I get a lot of good tips about gear on this site, and I never felt the need to ask for a poster's "resume" to judge the value of the information supplied. It ain't hard to figure out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks NH Hunter.

I recognize some members presence here by their use of the same handles here as on other sites. I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch and have learned a lot by visiting forums like these. OTOH I don't consider myself a poser either. If I have some info that I feel others can benefit from I will post it. Have had the opportunity to meet some members from Backpacker.com, the midwest crew (as well as most members here and elsewhere) seems like a good bunch. This site is obviously more targeted towards hunting and fishing than SummitPost or Backpacker, I and some other members wouldn't mention a predator hunt on other sites.

Last edited by bluffview; 01/11/08.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Most people here, as in other aspects of life, have done what outdoors things they have "accomplished" because of the circumstances they were born into and out of desire.

I happened to be born in 1946 in a place which was largely still wilderness and into a family who pioneered in the West Kootenays 115 years ago, after over 20 years at the BC coast, so, I had the opportunity that someone born in NYC did not, it's that simple.

Many of us gravitated to wilderness work as we grew to adulthood and some remained in it most of their lives, it was not about becoming a "mountain man" or an "expert", it was simply opportunity and personal interest.

So, I tend to think that no matter how much/little wilderness experience a person has, that person can still contribute ver valuable info. and suggestions here and everyone is entitled to a certain level of respect as we are ALL ...real... and our various experience/age and interest levels are equally valid, for us.

At 61, I have a lot of remote wilderness experience, but, I know a guy in northern BC who is ten years younger than I, who has far more than I do and is a master bushwhacker who can make me look like a novice.

I have probably supervised 500 people in various aspects of bush forestry work, trained them in basic Grizzly coping techniques and other safety issues, but, I have not nearly the Grizzly experience of several other BC men I know or of someone like Phil Shoemaker of Alaska.

I do this for FUN, not for competition and I am wiling to listen to anyone's opinion, among my favourite posters is Woodswalker from New Jersey, the most populous state in the USA, a young guy, yet, his highly practical and realistic experiments and opinions derived therefrom would make him a real asset on a wilderness trek/camp/work project in remote northern BC, the Yukon or anywhere I have ever been.

Sure, some of us DO know more, have greater experience of some types and are more emotionally suited to long wilderness stints alone, for example, but, this does not invalidate the opinion of someone else who reports his honest findings after using a certain item of gear or new exercise techniques he has learned, whether he lives in Eddontenajon, BC, or San Francisco.

There are more good guys and fewer dorks here than ANY MB I have ever looked into and I, for one, want to preserve the camaraderie, friendship and genuine respect that is the usual situation here.

A guy like EdT, who has more solid gear experience and testing info. to pass on is a HUGE resource to me, and, I suspect, others as well; his opinions certainly have assisted me and I have yet to see him make a comment that I have not found rock-solid, why fu*k this up, just to "longdi*k" around like a teenager???

I would enjoy seeing this forum grow tenfold and more chime in with their opinions, anecdotes and questions, this is a lot of fun on a Vancouver morning when the hiking trails are closed due to avalanche dangers and I am tired of painting this old house!!!

Of course, we have to watch a certain Viking from Montana, after he imbibes "Moose Drool"..... smile smile smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am 40 yrs old, single, and have lived in Central or Southern Idaho most of my life.
I have been backpacking, fishing, hunting and skiing Idaho for 32 years.

I am a chemical engineer by profession.
I have grown to quite enjoy the 'Campfire and the backpack hunting forum very much.

I do not consider myself an expert in backpack hunting, more of an enthusiast.
What is important to me is that there are a lot of folks(at the 'Fire) that are polite, honest, and willing to help out people like myself with their experiences and preferences.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/11/08.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I typically avoid these "call out" threads as there is rarely any usable info in them. The other thread is pretty well trashed now and I'm annoyed enough to say something about it:

I'm firmly with Kute ,NH, & Brad on this. I know who's who and who's credible just by being here and observing.

MT - you have derided "post counts" here in the other thread. It's true the count doesn't correlate with wilderness experience but it DOES correlate to time spent interacting here.

These guys with thousands of posts we know pretty well. You can say anything on a resume. Getting along with people year after year is a different matter entirely.

I wonder at the motivation of someone who only shows up when his name is mentioned, or one who has caused this much animosity with a post count of a couple dozen......

carry on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well said, Lefty...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kute- WW is from Conn...the other vast wilderness area here on the EC. grin

Last edited by ken999; 01/11/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken.

For me upstate NY or Maine is the end of the Earth. Those woods eat people........ eek grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I thought that he said he was from "Joisey", must be an old age brain fart, I guess. I always figured he has that FN-FAL and other such toys due to the proximity to "the Sopranos"..... smile smile smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
haha...you made it outta here ok the last time...looking foward to seeing you next month.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never actually set foot on the east coast, but I flew over Northern NY, Maine, etc. on the way to Germany a few years ago.
I was amazed by the amount of forests and mountains I saw.

Looks like beautiful country!
smile

James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It is!...

I've "flown" over the northern part of your state w/ Google Earth a few times...got dizzy just thinking about how much big woods you fellas have....WOW!...

Last edited by ken999; 01/11/08.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, akpls, 17 invisible), 17,119 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.