Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There's always going to be slobs that care more about bragging {or making videos and selling rifles} than making clean kills. You don't need to add to the slob numbers by taking shots where "a slight miscalculation" can cause a bad hit and an animal to suffer because you're a braggadocious ass hole. I passed up a very nice buck at 59 yards season before last with my crossbow. I can put arrow after arrow into a 3" bull at that range but my target can't move/take a step/jump string while my arrow is in flight. I filled that buck tag a few days later from 17 yards where the odds of that were very nearly zip. If you can get closer do it. If you can't and it's too far to be certain in case of a slight miscalculation, an errant breeze or movement of the game, don't shoot. I admit I have taken some less than certain shots myself in the past and although they always worked out, I know I was lucky and I don't take those kind of shots anymore. I know sooner or later my luck would run out, an animal would suffer for it and I would feel like shyt. I will do what I can to avoid that.

So you base YOUR inability to make a clean shot at 59 yards with a crossbow and had to close the distance to 17 yards so there was no chance YOU would miss

And apply your lack of skill and improper equipment to long range hunters with rifles capable of killing game to a mile ?

there was a line Forrest Gump quoted

I'm sure you know it
It was never a question of "missing" dumbass. We already know about YOUR lack of hunting ability since YOU can't get near a moose, can't you read either ?

Because YOU can't ... doesn't mean others have the same disability

not by Forrest Gump, btw

“Never let someone's perception determine who you are.”

“Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations.” — ...
YOU can't control when the wind gusts any more than YOU can control what a deer does while an arrow is in flight. You can get close enough that neither has the time to cause a bad hit... Well, I can anyway.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have a bona fide Davey Crockett on the fire.
Or is it Daniel Boone

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/24/24.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There's always going to be slobs that care more about bragging {or making videos and selling rifles} than making clean kills. You don't need to add to the slob numbers by taking shots where "a slight miscalculation" can cause a bad hit and an animal to suffer because you're a braggadocious ass hole. I passed up a very nice buck at 59 yards season before last with my crossbow. I can put arrow after arrow into a 3" bull at that range but my target can't move/take a step/jump string while my arrow is in flight. I filled that buck tag a few days later from 17 yards where the odds of that were very nearly zip. If you can get closer do it. If you can't and it's too far to be certain in case of a slight miscalculation, an errant breeze or movement of the game, don't shoot. I admit I have taken some less than certain shots myself in the past and although they always worked out, I know I was lucky and I don't take those kind of shots anymore. I know sooner or later my luck would run out, an animal would suffer for it and I would feel like shyt. I will do what I can to avoid that.

So you base YOUR inability to make a clean shot at 59 yards with a crossbow and had to close the distance to 17 yards so there was no chance YOU would miss

And apply your lack of skill and improper equipment to long range hunters with rifles capable of killing game to a mile ?

I'm sure you know it
It was never a question of "missing" dumbass. We already know about YOUR lack of hunting ability since YOU can't get near a moose, can't you read either ?

not by Forrest Gump, btw

YOU can't control when the wind gusts any more than YOU can control what a deer does while an arrow is in flight. You can get close enough that neither has the time to cause a bad hit... Well, I can anyway.

Good for you to admit you're a poor rifleman that needs to be within rock throwing distance to make a clean kill, your honesty is appreciated ....

not many here have the balls to admit it and just berate those who can utilize their firearms that are capable of killing game at great distances properly

Do you practice inside a small barn so you can at least hit a wall when you miss the target ? If not, you should ..... It will improve your hit/miss ratio positively

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I'm sure you know it

not by Forrest Gump, btw

Good for you to admit you're a poor rifleman that needs to be within rock throwing distance to make a clean kill, your honesty is appreciated ....

not many here have the balls to admit it and just berate those who can utilize their firearms that are capable of killing game at great distances properly

Do you practice inside a small barn so you can at least hit a wall when you miss the target ? If not, you should ..... It will improve your hit/miss ratio positively
Nothing mentioned about a rifle at all. Does ADD run in your family ? It's really too bad you never learned how to hunt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I'm sure you know it

not by Forrest Gump, btw

Nothing mentioned about a rifle at all. Does ADD run in your family ? It's really too bad you never learned how to hunt.

So you come to the Long Range Hunting forum where it's quite obvious hunters use long range capable rifles, and you attack/accuse them of bragging then you go and BRAG about your short range crossbow shot and what a phenomenal hunter you are, the bestest and greatestest in the known modern world

I think ADD is the least of your problems

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It's apparent from our conversation to this point that your screen name was poorly chosen and that swampTARD would be more appropriate. While I sympathise with your disability, I'm afraid I don't have the patience to deal with the mentally handicapped.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's apparent from our conversation to this point that your screen name was poorly chosen and that swampTARD would be more appropriate. While I sympathise with your disability, I'm afraid I don't have the patience to deal with the mentally handicapped.

Haaaa, Figured as much, when confronted and slapped down, the big mean bully turns into a crying lil' byatch

Speaking of poorly chosen names, let me try.....

BlackFART ... just a sh itstain on the underwear of the 24hr Campfire Long Range Hunting forum

the "I don't know how to do it , therefore nobody should do it" kind of sh itstain

How'd i do ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Haaaa, Figured as much, when confronted and slapped down, the big mean bully turns into a crying lil' byat

BlackFART ... just a sh itstain on the underwear of the 24hr Campfire Long Range Hunting forum

the "I don't know how to do it , therefore nobody should do it" kind of sh itstain

How'd i do ?
Long range hunter is a misnomer from the start as I explained in my post about shootig woodchucks. Some people have the ability to put themselves in close proximity to game on a regular basis. Some don't and never will. You don't need to be Daniel Boone or Davy Crocket. Thousands of archers accomplish it year after year all across the Country.. The joke is the people who consider themselves accomplished hunters yet can't get near a stupid moose. They're almost as bad as the ones who consider themselves accomplished riflemen but can't consistently hit a basketball from 100 yards without telescopic sights and a solid rest.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Haaaa, Figured as much, when confronted and slapped down, the big mean bully turns into a crying lil' byat

How'd i do ?
Long range hunter is a misnomer from the start as I explained in my post about shootig woodchucks. Some people have the ability to put themselves in close proximity to game on a regular basis. Some don't and never will. You don't need to be Daniel Boone or Davy Crocket. Thousands of archers accomplish it year after year all across the Country.. The joke is the people who consider themselves accomplished hunters yet can't get near a stupid moose. They're almost as bad as the ones who consider themselves accomplished riflemen but can't consistently hit a basketball from 100 yards without telescopic sights and a solid rest.

so how many moose have you shot under 50 yards ? How many brown/grizzly bears have you shot under 30 yards and how many black bears under 50 ?
How about Sitka Blacktailed deer under 50 yards ? or wolves etc etc etc ...,

remember that part in Quigley Down Under where the bad guy challenges the good guy to a pistol duel ? What did the good guy say after he blasted the bad guy ?
Post your answer in the comments below, lol !

case in point, I'm going moose hunting in Sept with a handgun then to Kodiak Is. in Oct. after a brownie with a handgun, iron sights n all

but this is the Long Range Hunting forum, so I won't be posting about it here

Kinda what I've been trying to 'splain to you the entire time

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
LOL. Give it up swamptard. I've seen you bragging it up about your cannons, your long range prowess with same and your supehuman hunting ability on forums all over this site. You've pissed in everyones cheerios that doesn't use cartridges that burn powder by the hatfull and lob bullets at game a mile away and have no leg to stand on when someone gives you some back here. We don't have a moose season here but we do have moose. I haven't found them particularly hard to approach and have had little difficulty getting within easy bow range. Apparently they don't find them terribly hard to kill in Maine as the hunter success rate on moose runs around 70%, which is more than double the success rate on whitetails here despite the fact that we have way more deer than they have moose.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Give up Blackheart I dont like your crossbow but do I fugging bash you for it HELL NO!!!
Or are you the new Fred Bear?

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/25/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Give up Blackheart I dont like your crossbow but do I fugging bash you for it HELL NO!!!
I haven't bashed your rifle sherm. Pay attention if you can.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blackheart,
Swampdude has earned his reputation here. I won’t deny that but please don’t compare Alaskan moose hunting to Maine moose hunting, let alone to unhunted New York moose.

For multiple reasons, the two just don’t compare.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh ive paid plenty of attention. If you dont like the LR hunting just pass on by simple as that.
Next I guess your gonna try and tell me you don't put LR hunting and guns in the same group.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/25/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Blackheart,
Swampdude has earned his reputation here. I won’t deny that but please don’t compare Alaskan moose hunting to Maine moose hunting

The hunter success rate is listed at 20% on Alaskan moose. Doesn't seem too bad considering that's a couple percent higher than the success rate on whitetail bucks here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh ive paid plenty of attention. If you dont like the LR hunting just pass on by simple as that.
Next I guess your gonna try and tell me you don't put LR hunting and guns in the same group.
I'm a rifle hunter too. I certainly don't dislike rifles. If I did I wouldn't have two safes full. I do dislike slob hunters that take unnecesarily risky shots and wound game because of it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blackheart,
Swampdude has earned his reputation here. I won’t deny that but please don’t compare Alaskan moose hunting to Maine moose hunting

How so ?

Moose in heavily hunted areas in Alaska can get pretty damn spooky and be coy, just like deer. Maybe not quite so bad and they seem more clumsy when running away, but certainly they get more skittish than you're indicating.

I'd guess Maine moose success is 70% at least partly because tags are rare, and people who finally get a tag often put a lot more effort into it: more than they generally do deer which they can hunt every year. Can't there also be a 2nd shooter (designated subpermitee) when someone draws moose there? Even if they have to hunt together that will up the odds.

That, and since moose tags there in Maine are few and far between, the moose don't get pressured like the deer do, or the road accessible moose in Alaska. It is the same thing with Shiras moose out in the western US. They seem 'dumb' because they rarely have reason to run from people. I've been told the heavily hunted moose in New Foundland can be pretty spooky. The New York moose never get hunted and I presume rarely harassed if they're not being a yard pest, so it stands to reason that they're not difficult to get close to as you say.

There are more reasons, but I'll leave it at that.

Nice unmarked edit, BTW and 20% success in Alaska is quite different than the 70% success in Maine you tried to make a point with.

Last edited by T_Inman; 03/25/24.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Blackheart,

How so ?

Moose in heavily hunted areas in Alaska can get pretty damn spooky and be coy, just like deer. Maybe not quite so bad and they seem more clumsy when running away, but certainly they get more skittish than you're indicating.

I'd guess Maine moose success is 70% at least partly because tags are rare, and people who finally get a tag often put a lot more effort into it: more than they generally do deer which they can hunt every year. Can't there also be a 2nd shooter (designated subpermitee) when someone draws moose there? Even if they have to hunt together that will up the odds.

That, and since moose tags there in Maine are few and far beeen, the moose don't get pressured like the deer do, or the road accessible moose in Alaska. It is the same thing with Shiras moose out in the western US. They seem 'dumb' because they rarely have reason to run from people. I've been told the heavily hunted moose in New Foundland can be pretty spooky. The New York moose never get hunted and I presume rarely harassed if they're not being a yard pest, so it stands to reason that they're not difficult to get close to as you say.

Nice unmarked edit, BTW and 20% success in Alaska is quite different than the 70% success in Maine you tried to make a point with.
I've been around moose in Maine, Montana and here. None were skittish or difficult to approach. No matter where they are or how hard they're hunted there's no excuse for shooting at a game animal from a distance where you can't be 99% sure of a first round hit in the vitals.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well BlackFART Sh itstain, you've seen moose off season standing on the roadside and now you're an expert on moose habits/movement in all 17 seasons in all 70 states ? a moose ballologist or retard ...... total retard ? or just a shi tstain ?

my personal success rate for moose in Alaska is 100% , consecutively for the last 37 years, a large percentage is solo hunts, two weeks alone in the woods, hunting, killing, gutting, skinning, quartering, bagging and packing out alone ! AFTER having put several family members on large bull moose AND doing all of the above to their moose, when the family/friends meat run is done , it's my solo trophy hunt & things change a bit

When I guide other hunters it's usually a typical 300 yard and under kill shot, averaging around 140-160 yards or so, depending on the terrain

When I go on my solo hunts I spend a lot of time glassing and never shoot the first legal bull I see, that's a sure fire way to ruin a hunt, tagging out on a barely legal bull the first few days out is for trigger happy, gun dummy shi t hunters .... Shooting the first animal absolutely ruins the potential for a fantastic hunt on a large antlered bull

My absolute favorite method of moose hunting is to locate the bull I want from above, get down in the thick shyte downwind and rake/thrash brush as I move in to the bulls location, usually ending up in a thrilling standoff of calling and raking back & forth at close range with zero visibility & then fast action at less than 30 yards because of the thick shyte, nothing gets the adrenalin pumping harder than having a 60"+ bull snorting, grunting and thrashing brush less than 100 feet from you but you can't see him .. Patience wins the battle and I take the kings crown !

The other method requires unbearable patience, many miles of hiking & many days of glassing and waiting, always waiting for the perfect weather opportunity for that perfect shot ... This is hunting ....

Remember that this in the roughest, shi ttiest, wettest terrain in NA, with brown bear populations at an ultra high level .... not some cornfield or ranchers cow field or blackberry thicket on the edge of town that you shoot your deer at a feeding station or off a treestand at your garden or off your fkn porch

Your "hunting" is nothing more than shooting fed, fenceline, "bobwire" livestock that happen to be called deer

Don't ever compare your barnyard hunts to what we do here

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Blackheart,

How so ?

That, and since moose tags there in Maine are few and far beeen, the moose don't get pressured like the deer do, or the road accessible moose in Alaska. It is the same thing with Shiras moose out in the western US. They seem 'dumb' because they rarely have reason to run from people. I've been told the heavily hunted moose in New Foundland can be pretty spooky. The New York moose never get hunted and I presume rarely harassed if they're not being a yard pest, so it stands to reason that they're not difficult to get close to as you say.

I've been around moose in Maine, Montana and here. None were skittish or difficult to approach. No matter where they are or how hard they're hunted there's no excuse for shooting at a game animal from a distance where you can't be 99% sure of a first round hit in the vitals.

Sounds like you really need to spend a lot of time at the range practicing, if you're not sure where your rounds are going, lmao !

Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10Glocks, 16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.