-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do fair bit of die modifications to fit certain situations. If you just need to hone a few thou. for a better neck fit, the Acro Laps really work well. Pin gauges to verify the size as the process goes along. The hardened layer is from .004-.006 thick on most dies so 400 grit lapping compound followed by some 600 as the final finish. The Lee stuff I've worked on is around .002 so keep that in mind.

For doing more extensive die work, I made this holder. The die with an 'o' ring under the lock ring is threaded into the adapter, the die is indicated in the lathe chuck and then whatever mods I'm making get done.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Al, my concentricity concern, looks like you have it addressed.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a Redding Body Die I modified to be a fixed dimension (.327) full length sizer for the 30BR cases. The 7BR die neck opening was .311 so I used a stepped carbide reamer (.311/.327).

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
lt ain’t rocket surgery.

DF

True enough 🤣

A set of LCD sure saved the day on my 22 Hornet reloading, I was about ready to pull my hair out till MD helped me understand bullet runout and it's effect on the old school Hornet case neck design.

We deal in lead, friend.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 41rem
lt ain’t rocket surgery.

DF

True enough 🤣

A set of LCD sure saved the day on my 22 Hornet reloading, I was about ready to pull my hair out till MD helped me understand bullet runout and it's effect on the old school Hornet case neck design.

And I discovered that the Hornet LCD works with the K-Hornet. That was to me a bonus.

DF

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have one for each. What I especially like about LCDs is they are an economical solution to neck sizing. There are times when neck sizing is preferable. For me, thin Hornet brass is a good reason to use them. I had considered bushing dies and even a conventional NK sizing die, but the success I had with my 303 British LCD sold me on the idea.

It's a personal decision, but I didn't want to spend $100 on a $5 problem.

Edited to add: This is Lee's explanation for modifying a 22 Hornet collet die to 22 K-Hornet. https://support.leeprecision.net/en/knowledgebase/article/22-k-hornet-collet-die-set-adjustment

---

One other photo thing. The picture isn't too clear, but this is a Lee 22 Hornet seater plug. I will be the first to admit that Lee's seater isn't the best. This mod is easy to do, even if you are ham fisted.

Traditional Hornet bullets are semi-pointed, but most will agree that the 40 gr polymer tipped bullets are the bee knees in a Hornet. smile

A problem I had with an older set of Lee 22 Hornet dies occurred when I attempted to seat the 40 gr Hornady VMax. The bullet tip pressed against the inside of the die. You want the seater plug to press on or around the ogive, not the bullet tip. You can increase the seater plug depth so that the bullet tip does not come into contact with the inside end. I used a 1/8 inch drill bit.

You simply drill into the centre of the seater. Don't nick the collar of the plug. The actual depth is not critical. Just make sure that the bullet does not come into contact with the plug.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
instead of trying this weird resizing ideals if wanna a more tighten neck buy a Redding full length bushing die and some different right sized bushing for this Redding die. if this is just a regular hunting rifle really just use the RCBS full length sizing die correctly and that is all you need to do with die resizing wax. i have a few 7mm-08`s i have always used Redding dies including Redding bushing dies. > ask Big Stick some questions about the 7mm-08 resizing dies you will get educated. good luck,Pete53 > p.s. don`t forget you generally get what you pay for = there is a huge difference in prices and dies and it does make a difference.

Last edited by pete53; 03/24/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The beauty of the Lee Collet system is the cost factor. For nominal cost one can make ammo about as concentric as a near $300 competition die set with neck sizing bushings, no need for an expander.

With those dies the sizer sizes the case body, the neck sizing bushing can be changed to get the perfect neck sizing without needing an expander.

The seaters are precise with micrometers. Now, as noted earlier, I’m not overly impressed with Lee seaters. They’re hit and miss. With some rounds I use a better seater, some with floating bullet guides.

And I do check concentricity with a Sinclair, correct run out with a TruAngle tool.

DF

Here's a .22-250 Lee FL sizer being turned into a body die. Grind away until you're sure the die neck clears the case neck. The result is a cheap body die which works about as well as an expensive body die, 'cause it's now a real body die.

One thing, that steel is very hard and takes some grinding. I like to use a nearly worn out carbide tip as it'll fit in the neck.

And, that's why I like the Lee Deluxe die set which has the LCD and a FL sizer. To me, the Lee FL sizer's best use could be what you see, a converted body die. It works pretty well in that application.

The decapping assembly makes a nice punch. I remove the retaining nut although you don't have to. I don't waste anything.

TruAngle tool mounted on a board with a "T" nut is real handy. Can be stored when not in use.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/25/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great idea DF. Good stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great idea DF. Good stuff.
Ya gotta make do with what ya got.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It seems like Lee could skip the FL die and put in a body die instead.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
That would be about perfect.

But the market gurus may not agree. Takes somewhat of a Loony to know what we’re talking about.

They have to appeal to the biggest customer base. It’s not that hard to retrofit a FL die.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A single Redding body die is almost as expensive as a Deluxe Lee die set, $10 or less difference if you shop around.

So, their included FL Lee sizer converted into a body die makes dollars and sense.

And if converted properly with enough neck material removed so there's a visible gap between the die neck and case neck, it works as well as the Redding body die.

I've tried it both ways and can't tell a difference, as they do the exact same thing.

So, if you're not using the Lee FL die anyway, you've just made yourself essentially a free body die.

The price is definitely right requiring minimal effort and time. A win win scenario.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

But the market gurus may not agree. Takes somewhat of a Loony to know what we’re talking about.

They have to appeal to the biggest customer base. It’s not that hard to retrofit a FL die.

DF

I hear you, but it seems to me if the "typical" user understands to use the FL die if his collet sized brass starts getting a bit tight, then it shouldn't be too much of a leap to get the body die concept.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

I hear you, but it seems to me if the "typical" user understands to use the FL die if his collet sized brass starts getting a bit tight, then it shouldn't be too much of a leap to get the body die concept.
If you and I send them that suggestion don’t ya know they’ll come around.

Sure!

Ha!

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Of course they will. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DF, why don't you or mathman come up with a Lee collet die for the 6.5 PRC for me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My old 243 dies reduce the case and the neck more than I like. They are not marked small base but they should be. Always get a bit of runout and the case grows about .010 on the trip through the die. If I use a 308 die for the body and a collet die on the neck I get very straight ammo. My 308 die reduces the case about .002 at the base expansion ring. The 243 die is double that. Plus it makes the neck .010 below loaded size. YMMV.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
DF, why don't you or mathman come up with a Lee collet die for the 6.5 PRC for me.
We’ll add that request to our letter.

Well tell’em it’s for you.

That’ll seal the deal.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We’ll add that request to our letter.

Well tell’em it’s for you.

That’ll seal the deal.

DF
Can yinz guys aks (axe?) if they'll start making PFLR dies too?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.