Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have seen over the years, many times in print, the statement that generally copper fouling was more pronounced in front of the chamber...rather than toward the muzzle. It seems like the most logical assumption, that's where the grooves in the jacket are formed, that is where temperatures and pressures are the highest. I was wondering if inspection with a bore scope bears this out?
What prompted the question was, I'm on day 2 of rigorously cleaning a barrel that I suspected was never cleaned since it was sold in 1928. It may have been given an occasional swipe with old formula Hoppes to neutralize the primer salts...but that's about it. To the naked eye, the bore is shiny and smooth and I can't see any visible copper at the muzzle but patches are still coming out green. I used to help a machine gun collector clean after a big shoot...and I can't recall ever spending the better part of 2 days with no end in sight. If there is a buildup forward of the chamber I wonder if I may need to plug the chamber and fill the barrel with solvent.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you using for solvent? What material is the jag or brush made of?
If you are using a bronze or brass brush or jag with a copper solvent you will continue to get green patch’s.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hard nylon brush, alternating Sweets 7.62 and Bore Tech...last patch I pushed through 15 min ago, I used a hardwood ramrod with no attachments.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With the now discontinued Foul-Outs, a person could sure tell where the copper fouling was found.I cleaned several old military rifles and used firearms and I can't say there was more fouling at the breech, but I didn't have a bore scope. I only inspected the rod where th copper was deposited. Sure could tell the tight spots it the barrel.

My pre 64 Winchester FWT always fouls at the muzzle.

Responses should be interesting from those with bore scopes

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cut to the chase: JB bore paste

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I wonder why they discontinued the foul out system.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Many years ago I would use an o-ring chamber plug, fill the bore with Hoppes Benchrest copper remover and let it soak for a day or so. Seemed to be a fairly common technique. I aways avoided routine use of abrasive cleaners like JB, though occasionally find that they're necessary.

I have a borescope and would agree that more copper seems to collect near the muzzle, though not sure why.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Cut to the chase: JB bore paste

This^^^^^^^

If I want to clean the copper out of my barrels,I use JB Bore Paste.I wrap a patch coated with JB paste and a little oil around a bore brush.I usually do about ten back and forth strokes down the whole length of the bore per patch.What I've noticed,a copper fouled barrel may seem tight from the throat to around midway down the barrel.After three to five patches,I can actually feel the bore is smoother all the way the length of the barrel.A borescope will confirm how clean it is,but if you don't have one,feel is one thing you can go by.I've never had JB paste hurt any of my barrels and it is the quickest way I know to remove copper and carbon from your barrels.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have done well with BoarTech copper solvent
I use their BP solvent on my blackpowder guns.

Last edited by WStrayer; 03/25/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lacking a bore scope, it's all just guessing. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
And the Teslong I use only cost about as much as a box of good bullets when I bought it.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never had JB's to hurt a barrel that I could tell and use it fairly often. Just use a good bore guide when using it.

As for Foul Out, look around on the www. You can find recipes for the liquid and directions for a home made rod and power supply. I had one of the original units. It seemed to work good on a couple heavily copper fouled barrels but I never used it much. I haven't tried the homemade recipes.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What's the best American made bore scope?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger

The Hawkeye from Gradient Lens Corp.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is a barrel I used JB Paste on.
Before
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

After

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Bugger

The Hawkeye from Gradient Lens Corp.

My brother had a Hawkeye. I think his was rigid? Which model is best for rifle bores?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No JB was harmed in the cleaning of this rifle.

Nylon brush and 15 min later

5 patches later

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My bore scope shows copper build up at the muzzle,

For the price of a Teslong nowadays , they are dang handy,

Wipeout foam for me. Best cleaner ever.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wipe-Out works well, but there are others that work even quicker.

Always interesting to hear what's "best" on these threads, by people who've used a handful of cleaners.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.