Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
if the ship's captain knew he lost control why not drop and drag anchors?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Of course, it’s hackable. It’s a 1000 foot, 100,000 ton ship built in 2015 with a 22 man crew. A ship that big and new with a crew small is going to be heavily computerized. If it has an internet connection, it’s hackable.

Doesn’t mean it was, but these days someone can hack you toaster.

Fitzgerald was 730 feet, just as heavy and only had a crew of 29, built in '58.

There's computerization - sure. But you also mentioned something rather important - is propulsion connected to the internet? and can you even get a signal buried under 100k tons of steel and 9k TEUs on deck and does it make sense to do that attack at 1am when it's LEAST likely to create loss of life?

Like I said - boat guys here are saying - nope.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duke61

Allegedly port anchor was dropped but again - this isn't a F1 car that stops on a dime, they stop in MILES.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by rte
I would be more inclined to believe Lara Logan,who has established connections to the intel community and Steve Bannon, who was a Naval officer than some anonymous member.

I too was a Naval intelligence NCO who spent 3 years working at an NSA field site. I did the actually collection, analysis and reporting of the intel, not just reading it and passing it along. WOC qualified and trainer qualified for intelligence as well. I too know people and I'm going with what they told me vice some random lady and Steve. Nothing against Steve.

She's offered ZERO proof of the possibility much less probability. Show me how that ship was "hackable" to begin with - resulting in complete loss of power, regain power, lose power regain it and then hit the bridge.

You there.

Stop bringing logic and stop trying to make sense here.

You're ruining this forum.

The local boat guys down at the bar last night - don't see it as hackable either. Maybe you mess with a GPS or something but not the engine room, not aux and primary power. They're just not that connected to the outside - per these guys. Real? dunno but I trust the guy building the things over some tart on Steve's show.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on things.

Kinda like in your industry, they may have GPS units to tell where their trucks are, and they may have them computer governed so as to not speed or over rev, but I haven't heard of a truck being hacked and driven into a fuel depot...............................yet..

Boats I've been on, never one that size though, have all sorts of electronic navigation stuff but nothing I ever saw that could take over and do all you noted to the operational parts of the vessel. The Captains I've known would never serve on a vessel that could be taken over remotely, not without some strong contract stating they are not responsible if something with that system screws up.

I know of ELDs being hacked while the truck goes down the road from a vehicle next to it.

Truck Worms

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, there is one thing I don't think I've seen mentioned in any of the threads on this subject that I've read.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I stated earlier,I would believe Lara Logan's opinion,who has been correct on so many issues,than the Bolsheviks,who are controlling this demented bastard.

This demented fool is not,in any way, in control of his mental faculties.He could not have known this was an accident.I've previously stated,I believe nothing this admin tells this nation.It's a good bet that assuming the opposite of what they claim would be closer to the truth.

This has nothing to do with any previous administration.BTW Bush may or may not have been a moron but he still lied this nation into war.

I've said this many times,this admin is evil and every policy is cold,calculating and Satanic.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by duke61

Time. Distance. Electricity. The anchor(s) have to be inched up, the manual stoppers removed, before the hook can be dropped. Even if everybody was dressed and awake... and tools found, it's a ten minute walk, 5 or 10 minutes to remove the stoppers...assuming there is DC power available to pull the slack to release the stopper and the winch drum pawl.
Until it is confirmed, I doubt that a hook was dropped as first reported.

Last edited by flintlocke; 03/27/24.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have read some speculation that a fuel problem can cause a blackout, but not the reason for the generator to not function properly ( recognizing that delays occur in comms to actions). I bet that crew on that ship were doing some serious crapping drawers! Time will tell, but I will not believe anything spewed by the media or our .gov!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rte
I would be more inclined to believe Lara Logan,who has established connections to the intel community and Steve Bannon, who was a Naval officer than some anonymous member.

I too was a Naval intelligence NCO who spent 3 years working at an NSA field site. I did the actually collection, analysis and reporting of the intel, not just reading it and passing it along. WOC qualified and trainer qualified for intelligence as well. I too know people and I'm going with what they told me vice some random lady and Steve. Nothing against Steve.

She's offered ZERO proof of the possibility much less probability. Show me how that ship was "hackable" to begin with - resulting in complete loss of power, regain power, lose power regain it and then hit the bridge.

You there.

The local boat guys down at the bar last night - don't see it as hackable either. Maybe you mess with a GPS or something but not the engine room, not aux and primary power. They're just not that connected to the outside - per these guys. Real? dunno but I trust the guy building the things over some tart on Steve's show.

Kinda like in your industry, they may have GPS units to tell where their trucks are, and they may have them computer governed so as to not speed or over rev, but I haven't heard of a truck being hacked and driven into a fuel depot...............................yet..

Boats I've been on, never one that size though, have all sorts of electronic navigation stuff but nothing I ever saw that could take over and do all you noted to the operational parts of the vessel. The Captains I've known would never serve on a vessel that could be taken over remotely, not without some strong contract stating they are not responsible if something with that system screws up.

I know of ELDs being hacked while the truck goes down the road from a vehicle next to it.

Truck Worms

Interesting read, the part that seems pertinent here is

and the ELD by itself cannot command a truck

Then again, I don't know about the controls on those newer, bigger ocean vessels. Maybe the companies have pushed for the ability to control them remotely?

I wonder what Q has to say about the bridge crash???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Of course, it’s hackable. It’s a 1000 foot, 100,000 ton ship built in 2015 with a 22 man crew. A ship that big and new with a crew small is going to be heavily computerized. If it has an internet connection, it’s hackable.

There's computerization - sure. But you also mentioned something rather important - is propulsion connected to the internet? and can you even get a signal buried under 100k tons of steel and 9k TEUs on deck and does it make sense to do that attack at 1am when it's LEAST likely to create loss of life?

Stop. Is there a mechanical linkage from the bridge to the rudder? No? Of course, not in a ship that large. An electric signal goes from A to B…from micro processor to microprocessor. It’s hackable.

As for making sense. Bro, don’t be stupid. If it were a cyber attack, the point is not to kill people on the bridge. That’s an afterthought. The point is to bring the bridge down and shut down the port for the next year.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/27/24.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never let a crisis go to waste!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rte

You there.

Truck Worms

Interesting read, the part that seems pertinent here is

and the ELD by itself cannot command a truck

Then again, I don't know about the controls on those newer, bigger ocean vessels. Maybe the companies have pushed for the ability to control them remotely?

I wonder what Q has to say about the bridge crash???

To the truck issue. Almost all new cars and trucks are completely drive-by-wire. There are no mechanical linkages for steering, throttle, gear shifting….nada. It’s been demonstrated several times that vehicles can be remotely hacked and the driver will have no control over it. Anything that is on the internet, and all modern vehicles are, can be hacked.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

I’m not saying it was done, I’m simply telling you it can be done. You old boomer farts don’t realize how far things have gone these days.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sure is suspicious. Right after Russia gets hit with a big time terrorist attack which they attribute to the US and Ukraine.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Camera needs to be placed lower so we can get a better look at that cleavage

Agree

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To the truck issue. Almost all new cars and trucks are completely drive-by-wire. There are no mechanical linkages for steering, throttle, gear shifting….nada. It’s been demonstrated several times that vehicles can be remotely hacked and the driver will have no control over it. Anything that is on the internet, and all modern vehicles are, can be hacked.
Well that certainly will fugg things up when the mice and rats get under the hood then.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She's a whackadoodle.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Stop. Is there a mechanical linkage from the bridge to the rudder? No? Of course, not in a ship that large. An electric signal goes from A to B…from micro processor to microprocessor. It’s hackable.

As for making sense. Bro, don’t be stupid. If it were a cyber attack, the point is not to kill people on the bridge. That’s an afterthought. The point is to bring the bridge down and shut down the port for the next year.

Yep if the ships computers are connected to the internet it is hackable. Odd these simpletons can't seem to understand the obvious.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Damn, so my wife was right about the burnt toast.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.