Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am watching an older documentary sort of about Iowa farmers struggling to keep the family farm. It was filmed about the everyday lives of farmers including their work on the farm and home life. There is talk about depression and suicide. The small farmers are saying corporate farms are taking over. This program could be 10 plus years old. Just was interested in knowing first hand if their is any folks here that can give a “heads up” on what’s really going on in that State.

A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The program just ended and it was called Greener Pastures. It took 4 years to film and appears to be about 4 years old. It was a film worth watching.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From what I read somewhere, farmers have one of the highest suicide rates in the U.S.

Dale

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's not just Iowa, but nation wide the small farms are going under and being bought out. It's sad! It happened to my BIL next door on their dairy farm!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My Grandpa raised five kids farming at most 220 acres; those days are over. Today if you don't have 1K acres under till it seems your days are numbered. Sad, this affects hunting access, and the overall health of rural communities.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alan_C
The program just ended and it was called Greener Pastures. It took 4 years to film and appears to be about 4 years old. It was a film worth watching.

Is this the program?

GREENER PASTURES / Official Film Festival Trailer
video posted to YouTube on Jun 12, 2023

"Official film festival trailer for the documentary feature film, Greener Pastures. Screening worldwide in film festivals through 2023-2024.

Greener Pastures is an urgent and intimate look at American farming, told through the stories of farmers living at the intersection of climate change, globalization & a mental health crisis."

YouTube channel: Greener Pastures

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
as long as the gov welfare check keeps coming i think they might be o k

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The small farmer can do well , but they have to change . They can't just milk 50 cows anymore. They need to find nitch markets. I know a guy down the road that did very well for a long time.. He sold chickens that were " pasture raised". He did pigs and beef. He got $30 lbs for those tenderloins, so there are nitches out there. You cant be out in the middle of nowhere like Jim Conrad though. His buyers were "upitty", Sabaru white collar urbanites that though highly of themselves for buying local. ( never mind it was an 80 mi. round trip) There is money to be made though. Also this neighbor sold 23 ac. for $243K and went to do something else. I am not sure why. Perhaps his customers found it was not worth it.. I dont think he worked all that much neither. He raised 4,000 chickens though, and turkeys too. He likely just got sick of dealing with liberals cause they are very conservative and couldn't stand their attitude.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, small Iowa farmers are having a tough time. Just the other day I was at the grocery store and I had to help one of 'em out. He couldn't reach the Wheaties up on the top shelf.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Marginal dryland farm ground in Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa selling for $16k per acre.
You tell me if they're hurting?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hlg
Marginal dryland farm ground in Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa selling for $16k per acre.
They aren't paying for that with corn.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Small town shoe store with cobbler, mom and pop grocery stores, and many other “businesses” that used to exist are gone forever. And farming as a life style is gone as well. Farmers that were content to stay and work their 160 acres as their sole family income are long gone. Farmers that had 160 acres or more and grew that size of farm can make it, if they run it like a business and not just a life style. I can cite many examples of both, in my family those that did not grow, and lost the farm, and those that were smart enough to grow and manage as a business and have done well.

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by hlg
They aren't paying for that with corn.
Umm yea they are. Most buying are the older generation that has made huge money the past few years farming and have enough owned ground to have collateral too.
Also some of the bigger growers are playing the life insurance game . Taking a huge policy out on themselves or their parents for a huge payday someday

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1000 acres for $16,000,000 and produces $800,000 worth of corn sounds pretty good. 5% return to pay the interest.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Small farmers are a thing of the past in north Louisiana! If you aren't working 3000 or more acres you ain't in the game!! The day of making it on 500 acres is a joke! If you think they're making a 'killing' just jump in and get you some of it!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dale06
Small town shoe store with cobbler, mom and pop grocery stores, and many other “businesses” that used to exist are gone forever. And farming as a life style is gone as well. Farmers that were content to stay and work their 160 acres as their sole family income are long gone. Farmers that had 160 acres or more and grew that size of farm can make it, if they run it like a business and not just a life style. I can cite many examples of both, in my family those that did not grow, and lost the farm, and those that were smart enough to grow and manage as a business and have done well.
This is worth repeating. Same as any other small business, it has to be ran like a business, not a lifestyle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Small farmers are a thing of the past in north Louisiana! If you aren't working 3000 or more acres you ain't in the game!! The day of making it on 500 acres is a joke! If you think they're making a 'killing' just jump in and get you some of it!
Even if you are a big farmer you can only make it by milking the USDA system. Even at that you probably have to go broke ever so often and then your son or brother takes over and you keep going. But what the heck. If you don't mind living like that and know how to maneuver the system you can make it. Mama can drive her Suburban, the kids can go to private school, you can drive a dually and be welcome (for a while) at the ag businesses and meetings.

Check out the farm subsidy data base, you'll see how they make it. The Amish are about the only ones really making it on their own.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In AR farming is a 1% profit margin business at best. I have a buddy that farms 5,000 acres of rice and beans. He borrows over a million dollars a year for operating costs and nets less than I do at a regular job. He is adamant that his kids will not be farmers.

My grandfather did well on 8,000 acres, but he only made cash money by selling the land. Left dad with 800 acres. Dad tried to expand, but even when land was 200$ an acre, dad could not make a living at it. "Buy retail and sell wholesale" just does not work.

I have tried it before myself and would do so again, but I just can not make the numbers work no matter how many other jobs I have. The price of land here is something out of a fantasy movie or cartoon.

Last edited by BlackBranchFarm; 03/28/24.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
1000 acres for $16,000,000 and produces $800,000 worth of corn sounds pretty good. 5% return to pay the interest.

Please expand your logic and where you find those figures

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Even if you are a big farmer you can only make it by milking the USDA system. Even at that you probably have to go broke ever so often and then your son or brother takes over and you keep going. But what the heck. If you don't mind living like that and know how to maneuver the system you can make it. Mama can drive her Suburban, the kids can go to private school, you can drive a dually and be welcome (for a while) at the ag businesses and meetings.

Check out the farm subsidy data base, you'll see how they make it. The Amish are about the only ones really making it on their own.

Ok so I’ll challenge you. A guy i help farm is on the list last year he received $18000 from subsidies or $18 an acre cant quite see how that is milking the system. He lost more than that doing what every farmer does watching the grain market tank. Could have sold all his corn in the bins(40000 bu) at $5.25 Jan 1 this year and now its worth $4.12 do that math

500 acres. Id take that ALL day long. Most guys around here who farm 500 have most of it paid for for starters so at $4.50 corn( current fall price at elevator) at 240 bu per acre - input costs = $380 an acre profit before land taxes or payments
Let say he owns 350 in the clear rents the other 150 that would be over $150000 income ,,not bad. Add that income to a part time job living pretty good

Asd far as the government programs especially CRP it is taking poor production ground out and leaving it in grass. When corn hit $4-5 a bu that ground would be farmed if not in program and it is best suited for pasture .
So hastings hypothetically if you found out your employer was paying mileage to drive to work wouldn’t you want it too?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
This is worth repeating. Same as any other small business, it has to be ran like a business, not a lifestyle.

Lot of truckers been finding that out over the last 2 years too.

Me

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
There are always exceptions, it usually boils down to being a good businessman.
There are monumental piles of "old" money laying around in farm country.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
https://farm.ewg.org/farms_by_state.php
The most successful farmers will be at the top of the farm subsidies list for the county or counties they farm. True Grit Farms isn't on the farm subsidies list at this time, we owe no one anything and don't need government welfare to survive. My son is jealous of the welfare farmers and is starting to play the government handout game on his ground.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'
Yep, farming is a business. It's about production, economies of scale, efficiency, accounting, finance, management, etc. Laura, featured in these videos, got her college degree in business. She currently has 520K subscribers to her YouTube channel. (I'm not a farmer.)

The MILLION Dollar Harvest Machine
video posted to YouTube on Oct 21, 2023
YouTube channel: Laura Farms

How To Spend $1,000,000 In A Day
video posted to YouTube on Nov 17, 2022

The Million Dollar Machine
video posted to YouTube on Apr 25, 2021
"For reference.. Tractor: John Deere 8RX with tanks = $600,000 and Planter: John Deere 1775NT with tracks = $400,000. Both are pre-production models! Thank you to AKRS Equipment for the demo!"

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small scale farming is possible, but not in commodities. I have a friend who sells “micro greens” from a 18x40 greenhouse, and makes an incredible income for the effort. Of course, she has the gift of gab and loves people. Not a common skill set among farmers.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Went and saw Gabe Brown 10 years ago or so.

It was a defining moment for us.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Iowa doesn't have many true small family farmers any more. By small family farmers, I mean making it on a section of land or less. If you're not farming 1000 acres, you're not going to be doing it for long. Many of the farmers I know (and it's a lot of farmers - rural Lutheran pastor) often have side gigs. Selling seed, doing custom equipment, some cattle, or their spouse also has a small business that they help her with. Farming involves a whole lot of money - sure, 275 bushel corn sound great when you have 5000 acres in corn and the price is $5/bushel. That's $6,875,000. But when you start calculating inputs of fuel, equipment, seed, rent (not many own all of the land they farm), insurance, payroll for farm employees, fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, fungicide, etc., the inputs start eating into that profit very, very quickly - especially when rent prices have climbed along with ballooning land prices. I always consider that farming is a big gamble. It depends on a lot of good planning and preparation and all of that can be for naught with a single hail storm or stretch of 4 weeks of no rain and 90 F temps at just the wrong time. At the same time, farmers appear to be some of the wealthier members of the community because, if they own the land and are good at business, there is some serious profit happening in years with good crops and their tax accountant highly recommends the purchase of expensive, new equipment in years with high profits so that the equipment costs can help reduce their tax liability on the grain profits. There are sooooo many moving parts to running a successful farming operation that it really is a highly skilled vocation which requires constant learning and updating.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IA_fog

Iowa land according to hlg posting above goes for $16,000 an acre. Year in and year out about a 200 bushel average is to be expected. 200 bushels at $4 is $800 which is about average more or less a little. $800 on 1000 acres will gross $800,000. If you paid $16,000 per acre just add 3 zeros to that to get your price on 1000 acres. 16,000 x .05 = 800

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Iowa land according to hlg posting above goes for $16,000 an acre. Year in and year out about a 200 bushel average is to be expected. 200 bushels at $4 is $800 which is about average more or less a little. $800 on 1000 acres will gross $800,000. If you paid $16,000 per acre just add 3 zeros to that to get your price on 1000 acres. 16,000 x .05 = 800

You forgot about the $600+/- to put in and take out that $800 corn crop.

Other than that you have some pretty solid logic.

Black Cows Matter!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by selmer
Iowa doesn't have many true small family farmers any more. By small family farmers, I mean making it on a section of land or less. If you're not farming 1000 acres, you're not going to be doing it for long. Many of the farmers I know (and it's a lot of farmers - rural Lutheran pastor) often have side gigs. Selling seed, doing custom equipment, some cattle, or their spouse also has a small business that they help her with. Farming involves a whole lot of money - sure, 275 bushel corn sound great when you have 5000 acres in corn and the price is $5/bushel. That's $6,875,000. But when you start calculating inputs of fuel, equipment, seed, rent (not many own all of the land they farm), insurance, payroll for farm employees, fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, fungicide, etc., the inputs start eating into that profit very, very quickly - especially when rent prices have climbed along with ballooning land prices. I always consider that farming is a big gamble. It depends on a lot of good planning and preparation and all of that can be for naught with a single hail storm or stretch of 4 weeks of no rain and 90 F temps at just the wrong time. At the same time, farmers appear to be some of the wealthier members of the community because, if they own the land and are good at business, there is some serious profit happening in years with good crops and their tax accountant highly recommends the purchase of expensive, new equipment in years with high profits so that the equipment costs can help reduce their tax liability on the grain profits. There are sooooo many moving parts to running a successful farming operation that it really is a highly skilled vocation which requires constant learning and updating.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I have said to friends that farmers and ranchers are the biggest gamblers.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Your off on your calculator
Average yield on the $16000 land is well north of 240 by if your any type of good farmer
The guy I help 5 yr average is 235
$4 corn,,, you will go broke
Cash corn right now for fall delivery is $4.50 had opportunities last dec/jan to sell fall corn for close to $5
Your also forgetting that these progressive farmers ( which anyone can do ) buy puts/calls to make money as well
The best farmers I know( my job is also in ag) spend more time behind the computer screen than in a tractor

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P.S Seed corn is over $100 per acre. Illinois set $4.68 per bushel as average cost to produce a bushel of corn in 2022.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Average yield on the $16000 land is well north of 240 by if your any type of good farmer
Cash corn right now for fall delivery is $4.50 had opportunities last dec/jan to sell fall corn for close to $5
Your also forgetting that these progressive farmers ( which anyone can do ) buy puts/calls to make money as well
The best farmers I know( my job is also in ag) spend more time behind the computer screen than in a tractor
OK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am watching an older documentary sort of about Iowa farmers struggling to keep the family farm. It was filmed about the everyday lives of farmers including their work on the farm and home life. There is talk about depression and suicide. The small farmers are saying corporate farms are taking over. This program could be 10 plus years old. Just was interested in knowing first hand if their is any folks here that can give a “heads up” on what’s really going on in that State.
The closing of small Iowa farms actually started in the late 1960's. Corn was $1 a bushel and beans were $3. A cheap combine was $40,000. The average corn yield on good ground with the current practices was 125 bushels of corn per acre. If all you owned was 90 or 120 acres, you couldn't make it work with $1 corn or $3 beans. Then came the high interest rates of the Jimmy Carter democRAT 4 years and many lost their farms because they couldn't make the payments on property or machines.

Loans were easy to get and pretty much impossible to pay off. Throw in some greedy (predatory) bankers who had friends with money and loans would get called in even on those who were making payments. Lot's of changes helped it along. No one was picking whole ears of corn and feeding cattle. Lot's of farmers had old hammer mills and there were no more parts. The new grinders were expensive. As I understand it, there were rules about running cattle on picked corn ground so farmers got out of the cattle business. The rules on selling milk also changed and it put a lot of small milkers out of business (that was us). Wabigoon might be able to help you out with the running cattle on the corn ground.

Lot's of changes. The banks and the government played a part in that. Anyway, there was no money to be made on small farms and there was always a big guy standing there with money to buy you out. All in all, high interest rates, government regulations and predatory bankers. If you could take those 3 issues out of the equation, we would not be in this current situation.

There is an Amish farmer in Pennsylvania going through this right now. He's bucking the State and they are trying to close him down.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
If the only thing driving you is production, there will be no profit.

To make the "required" production, you need to give all your profit to the parasites that feed off of farming.

They have lobbied congress and you have to do it their way....which is for you to keep giving them all your money...and next years money.

Tell the parasites to get a job and concentrate on profit.

I am MAGA.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think it was Bloomberg that claimed farming was so easy anyone can do it….” all you have to do is make a hole, put a seed in and sprinkle it little water on it.” 🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We were at a farm appreciation luncheon and the crop insurance agent and corn farmers were hoping for another hurricane to come through. The way I understood it was the farmers harvested the corn, got paid again using crop insurance and then again for disaster relief. Most have new equipment and are leveraged to the max but are living the high life.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

To make the "required" production, you need to give all your profit to the parasites that feed off of farming.

They have lobbied congress and you have to do it their way....which is for you to keep giving them all your money...and next years money.

There are a bunch of those parasites. It breaks my heart to know how many laws, agencies, and companies actively work to control and limit farmers. Companies that we all know and think of as All American, are greedy and work behind the scenes to create mechanisms that prevent the small farmer from profiting. It really is a racket, and there is no place for the individual, small time operator.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very well said! I know many, many small farmers that do not have their operation broke down enough to be able to put a cost/profit to some of the practices they do. Nor are they willing to do so to be able to try new things and see how that affects the bottom line. Then you have the guy I was working with that was putting in a center pivot on some pretty good, but a bit sandy soil. He knew from his other fields that the yield increase from the irrigation would have the pivot paid off in 6yrs and with an estimated 15+ yr livespan of the pivot new how much that investment should make him.

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The buyer of $16k farmland knows raising corn or soybeans will never pay for that farm
Typically, farms sold are to settle an estate. There are usually several established operators interested. They are people who have several quarters,some inherited, some bought years ago on the cheap.A lot of corn in the last 15 years has been sold for $7-$8 a bushel,they got money and know how to hang onto it.
So the farm across the road comes up for sale,one big guy doesn't like the other big guy,there's a bidding war.The sellers and auctioneer are smiling !!!
I was watching a farm show recently, they interviewed a guy from back east who had set the national record soybean yield,216 bpa.He was asked if he made any money,he replied that the beans were contracted for $14/ bushel ,it cost $1400/acre to raise the crop.
That's not bad,smart guy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You can get 240 bushels to the acre if you spend a pile of money on fertilizer and new equipment to have 22" rows. But, without the fertilizer and the rain plan on 180 or 200 bushels.

The folks spending $16,00 or more per acre are not always farmers. They are new York speculators, lawyers and doctors looking to get a tax break. They also want $350 an acre rent on improved ground, per season. Improved ground means tile and erosion berms. No little farmer can do that.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
P.S Seed corn is over $100 per acre. Illinois set $4.68 per bushel as average cost to produce a bushel of corn in 2022.
My spreadsheet too big to attach but will email to anyone
This is what I figured on a new piece of ground
Fert $250 an acre
Chemical/fungicide $102 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Crop ins estimate is $40 an acre
Rent $275
Gross revenue $1176 (would have sold it for October delivery at $4.90)
Inputs and costs $944
Average per bushel cost $3.93
Left profit of $232 an acre
So back to my 500 acre grower
Gross revenue $588000
Costs owned ground 234150
Cost rented ground 151,480
Net income on 500 acres of corn =
$202370
I know there a few other costs associated but you can catch the drift
I can get zero percent interest on inputs from my retailer so cash rent and fuel is the only cost associated with operating loan of 7%

I was a crop agronomist salesman for 25 years before I took this role of a manufacture rep so still have a huge background in helping farmers attain profit

A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BFaucett

Is this the program?

GREENER PASTURES / Official Film Festival Trailer
video posted to YouTube on Jun 12, 2023

"Official film festival trailer for the documentary feature film, Greener Pastures. Screening worldwide in film festivals through 2023-2024.

Greener Pastures is an urgent and intimate look at American farming, told through the stories of farmers living at the intersection of climate change, globalization & a mental health crisis."

YouTube channel: Greener Pastures
That’s it! Thank you!

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I watched a few local family farms do well. The ones that were most successful, just like any other business operated on a cash basis.

They did not have a banker with his fist in the John Deere dealers pocket, telling them they would not get an operating loan unless they also bought a tractor twice as big as they needed with all the comforts of the Taj Mahal.

But most fiscally wise young farmers live like paupers for the first twenty years while paying off the land, and livestock, if it is that type of operation. And today, most of those young people coming from parents wise enough to operate a successful family farm have a college degree.

As they watch their College class mates go into careers which will be paying 10 times what they will see from the farm, it is very tempting to abandon the farm life for a bigger payday.

One has to love the life, because it just does not pencil out any other way.

The one thing going for it, when you are ready to retire, you are sitting on a fortune in real estate, livestock, and equipment. That is, if you are wise enough to have kept it out of the bank's name.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFaucett

Is this the program?

...<snip>...

That’s it! Thank you!

You're welcome. [Linked Image from cloudynights.com]

Cheers! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370
I can get zero percent interest on inputs from my retailer so cash rent and fuel is the only cost associated with operating loan of 7%

I was a crop agronomist salesman for 25 years before I took this role of a manufacture rep so still have a huge background in helping farmers attain profit
Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370

I'm sure you are correct if everything falls into place. But $4 corn and 200 bushels happens. And my limited experience tells me there is never zero interest.

Just curious, what do you or your company sell.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370

Fert $250 an acre
Seed $125 an acre
Equipment $135 An acre
Rent $275
Inputs and costs $944
Gross revenue $588000
$202370

I'm sure you are correct if everything falls into place. But $4 corn and 200 bushels happens. And my limited experience tells me there is never zero interest.

Just curious, what do you or your company sell.
And that is why you carry crop Insuance and forward sell/buy puts calls.
Last year was no brainer you made money with crop insurance
This year with spring price will be tough
But that is why you focus on your game and production history
Forward selling then protecting with puts/calls
I mainly do HTA contracts which is setting price today and picking your basis(grain freight) later but before you deliver. Say I sell October. Corn for $5 my basis could be anywhere from -.30 to + .10
I would be disappointed is all I grew was 200 bu corn, I’m fertilizing for 300 and doing some other nutritionals etc to try and push on some acres. My local county average is 194 and we have some pretty crappy ground in places and flat black in others( I’m in the flat black zone) almost too flat stays wet.
Zero interest everyday here with one coop . It’s an inhouse financing and if you buy everything from them they offer zero due December of the year.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I worked for a retail coop for 25 years now I work for Syngenta selling corn and soybean herbicides and fungicides

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Input salesmen don't come to your farm to make you money.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ya reckon? Zero interest always means it's charged on the front end. Or maybe there's a trap built in where if you stumble it hits you like a ton of bricks.

The only credit card I use is for fuel, an Exxon card because I get 10 to 20 cents a gallon off. They just sent me 3 or 4 pages of legal size paper with small print outlining the new terms. I am good to go if I pay on time in full like I have done, but Boy Howdy the costs if you slip up or take a cash advance. In addition to any penalties the interest is 34% going back to day one.

One of my good friends is in the air conditioning business. It is interest free for one year if he installs your HVAC. I hemmed him up on it and he admitted it (interest) was on the front end. And if you don't pay in one year you have problems.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My wifes 3 uncles farmed a bunch of ground together and rented all of it North Arkansas delta. They worked hard at it. They understood the business aspects of when to book and how much. They were smart about buying their inputs for the year. They were all millionaire sharecroppers.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ya reckon? Zero interest always means it's charged on the front end. Or maybe there's a trap built in where if you stumble it hits you like a ton of bricks.

The only credit card I use is for fuel, an Exxon card because I get 10 to 20 cents a gallon off. They just sent me 3 or 4 pages of legal size paper with small print outlining the new terms. I am good to go if I pay on time in full like I have done, but Boy Howdy the costs if you slip up or take a cash advance. In addition to any penalties the interest is 34% going back to day one.

One of my good friends is in the air conditioning business. It is interest free for one year if he installs your HVAC. I hemmed him up on it and he admitted it (interest) was on the front end. And if you don't pay in one year you have problems.

It's a perverse race to see who can squeeze the producer the hardest.

And to top it off....the tax payers get to make up the difference if there is no money left over.

Banker needs his too you know.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
My wifes 3 uncles farmed a bunch of ground together and rented all of it North Arkansas delta. They worked hard at it. They understood the business aspects of when to book and how much. They were smart about buying their inputs for the year. They were all millionaire sharecroppers.

That's cool.

I didn't realize there was an Arkansas Delta.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Learned a lot. Thanks guys. Tell you this tho - tree farming sucks. Plant and wait 8-12 YEARS for the crop with a lot of the same disease/weather concerns commodity farmers have in between.

Me

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back in 1966 I read an article in a farm magazine. Short story, Farm, farming 6000 acres made $6000

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The bank has more money for them if they run short.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Learned a lot. Thanks guys. Tell you this tho - tree farming sucks. Plant and wait 8-12 YEARS for the crop with a lot of the same disease/weather concerns commodity farmers have in between.

During the CRP heyday trees were better.

Put your land in CRP...plant timber....receive money every year for crp contract and then sell timber when contract expires.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

Sounds kinda like you care a little bit.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It is the entre Midwest

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's a perverse race to see who can squeeze the producer the hardest.

And to top it off....the tax payers get to make up the difference if there is no money left over.

Banker needs his too you know.
Check out the history as pioneers moved west and started farming. Bankers were right behind them convincing them to borrow and expand.

USDA programs are pushed by guess who?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Put your land in CRP...plant timber....receive money every year for crp contract and then sell timber when contract expires.

We farm Christmas trees. Not me, extended fam for the past 100 years.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I grew up on an orchard. Plant, work for four years, 5 minutes of hail wipes out the first crop...... I told my dad "thanks, but no thanks".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We're lucky that parts of this country are too rough to farm.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any calves Sam?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Crime doesn’t pay.

Neither does farming.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A wonder why one would choose their children to continue the hit/miss of farming/ranching. I get tradition...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My great grandfather started farming in west central Ks in 1892. He was followed by my grandfather, father and brother, who continues to farm it today. Each grew the farm in size and ran it as a business. All were successful. Not every year was a success, but each of them I would say did quite well financially.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good question--but there's a certain feeling of independence, even if it may vary considerably.

My father's parents homesteaded in central Montana in 1919, though separately. My grandmother filed first, when homesteads in the West had been increased to 320 acres--and built herself a tarpaper shack. A year ot so later a Norwegian claimed the neighboring 320, and after they married a year or so later, had an entire section--which also included a year-round stream.

Both had come from the Midwest, where all the land was already owned. Unlike most homesteaders, they "proved up", owning the land five years after their claims. They also worked other jobs aside from growing grain (which their kids helped in), but eventually it worked out very well as a long-term investment.

Similar investments have also worked out very well for other Montanans.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good question--but there's a certain feeling of independence, even if it may vary considerably.

My father's parents homesteaded in central Montana in 1919, though separately. My grandmother filed first, when homesteads in the West had been increased to 320 acres--and built herself a tarpaper shack. A year ot so later a Norwegian claimed the neighboring 320, and after they married a year or so later, had an entire section--which also included a year-round stream.

Both had come from the Midwest, where all the land was already owned. Unlike most homesteaders, they "proved up", owning the land five years after their claims. They also worked other jobs aside from growing grain (which their kids helped in), but eventually it worked out very well as a long-term investment.

Similar investments have also worked out very well for other Montanans.

Thoughts on 2024 - 2074?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bottom line is you have to love farming/ranching to stay in.

The wife's family has lived off of the income from 300 acres.

Family has owned more but lost it when family got sick,land back then cost .25 an acre.

It can make a living wage if you manage it right but you won't be driving a new PU or car every year.

The farm is currently farmed on 1/4 share and owner pays for the well pump and 1/4 of inputs like ins.,fert and weed killer and such.

The Mother in law made around 28,000 the last several years because she has a good farmer that loves farming.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

We shįt canned our fake tree and have only bought real trees for several years.

Fugg plastic.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by kwg020

You can get 240 bushels to the acre if you spend a pile of money on fertilizer and new equipment to have 22" rows. But, without the fertilizer and the rain plan on 180 or 200 bushels.

The folks spending $16,00 or more per acre are not always farmers. They are new York speculators, lawyers and doctors looking to get a tax break. They also want $350 an acre rent on improved ground, per season. Improved ground means tile and erosion berms. No little farmer can do that.

kwg

Running 30” rows down here, last year one of the driest on record whole farm average was 234
Gotta put fert on , planter is 15 years old, and no rain still made the bushels

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
[quote=Jim_Conrad]Input salesmen don't come to your farm to make you money.

Zero interest no hidden fees no up front. Double check prices with competitors same or better. (I’m not that dumb either not to check and ask questions )

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I grew up on a farm, my parents still own it. They have 250 acres and milked around 50 cows. Today they live there yet and are pretty well off. They never went on any vacations raised 5 of us kids and saved all their money, only investing in bonds. You cant do what they did today but they never ever borrowed any money except from my grandpa to buy their farm. They paid $250 interest no principle every month until grandpa died.

I go back there every week and love it. They still doing their thing at 84 years old living in the house that grew dad grew up in. They are good people and always pay their bills. They never pay any bill until the last day that it is due. Its their money until then.

My dad told me when I was a kid farming is getting really tough. It used to be when he needed something like a new manure spreader there was always money in the checkbook to buy one. These days its not always the case… that was 50 years ago lol

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Hutterites around here appear to be doing quite well.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Upperplainsman
Hutterites around here appear to be doing quite well.

I know some Hoots.

Generally not as prosperous as you might think.

I used to think they were killing it.

I am MAGA.
A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Good info/stories. My dad always liked farming and raising cattle. He always made some money. I think good business practices and being frugal with good work ethics are a must to be a farmer. No doubt some real farmers here !

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good info/stories. My dad always liked farming and raising cattle. He always made some money. I think good business practices and being frugal with good work ethics are a must to be a farmer. No doubt some real farmers here !
Go fugk your arsehole Alan.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Why do you have so much hate in you? Don’t worry , be Happy !!! Have a Happy Easter !

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why do you have so much hate in you? Don’t worry , be Happy !!! Have a Happy Easter !
I’m happy. You lick Happy Camper’s tit sweat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I’m happy. You lick Happy Camper’s tit sweat.
I will say a prayer for you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'

Meanwhile, down in Argentina...

The Biggest Farm I’ve Ever Seen!
video posted to YouTube on Dec 4, 2023

Interesting tidbit: Laura and Grant point out that there are no emissions controls on the diesel engines.

A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Great video and content. The high water table is interesting. Where I live at on time they raised watermelons because of the high water table . No more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great video and content. The high water table is interesting. Where I live at on time they raised watermelons because of the high water table . No more.

[Linked Image from cloudynights.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

We shįt canned our fake tree and have only bought real trees for several years.

Fugg plastic.

I'll go without a tree before I do plastic.

Short video on my Uncle's retail side (does a PILE of wholesale Christmas greens)

Me

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Not caring but observing what our taxes are helping to fund. When your neighbor brags about how much he gets from subsidies on oats and barely and never raised a crop of either it seems fishy to me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Not caring but observing what our taxes are helping to fund. When your neighbor brags about how much he gets from subsidies on oats and barely and never raised a crop of either it seems fishy to me.

There is something called "basis"...where you get paid for crops you used to raise.

I am not sure how it works.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dunno, but a guy I went to high school with got a "covid relief loan" for $1.3 million and it was forgiven in full. I guess COVID kept him from farming, somehow.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by drop_point
I dunno, but a guy I went to high school with got a "covid relief loan" for $1.3 million and it was forgiven in full. I guess COVID kept him from farming, somehow.

I believe those were Small Business Administration loans.

Most people went into that believing it would be forgiven.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well, it was. Not sure how his livelihood was taken from him because of COVID, but there go our tax dollars.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is something called "basis"...where you get paid for crops you used to raise.

I rent out what little farm ground we have. I want to put it all in CRP but they use a date back in the 1980's for the comparison. We did not have row crop on that ground, we had hay. So, the USDA has no basis to compare to. So, until the Congress changes that date, we will be renting out the ground.

kwg

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Well, it was. Not sure how his livelihood was taken from him because of COVID, but there go our tax dollars.

The loan applications were worded so poorly that it would be a miracle if they were ever paid back.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I rent out what little farm ground we have. I want to put it all in CRP but they use a date back in the 1980's for the comparison. We did not have row crop on that ground, we had hay. So, the USDA has no basis to compare to. So, until the Congress changes that date, we will be renting out the ground.

kwg

I guess it depends on the farm bill.

At times, you could build basis.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The loan applications were worded so poorly that it would be a miracle if they were ever paid back.

Makes it hard to feel sorry for the "poor little farmers" and other business owners when they got such a windfall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Makes it hard to feel sorry for the "poor little farmers" and other business owners when they got such a windfall.

It's like reparations for white farmers, how ironic when they point their fingers at the scumbags in society with BS entitlements. lololol

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

We looked into them...but they couldn't be used for anything we needed.

There were other loans available too. One for employee retention and one for operating expenses.

Everyone said just to do it.....they wouldn't want it back.

The old woman is too honest.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There were other loans available too. One for employee retention and one for operating expenses.

Good for her.

My small business could have gotten one, but it just wasn't honest to take it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
It's like reparations for white farmers, how ironic when they point their fingers at the scumbags in society with BS entitlements. lololol

I know a farmer that complains all the time about "them n*$@$r welfare bums who keep dropping babies" all the time, but his subsidies could make a good living for ten people. He also took a COVID "loan" he didn't have to pay back.

My father about went broke farming, but he never took a dime.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Good for her.

My small business could have gotten one, but it just wasn't honest to take it.

Thanks , Jim and Drop Point for being honest.. I also likely could have gotten some money for being self employed. I could hardly imagine doing that.. However, I have a BIL with a small company that took $32,000. How Son in Law took $410,000 . . It should be payed back with at least some interest.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Guys it’s called base not basis
like corn base acres or wheat base acres only( don’t believe soybeans ever counted) was a big deal when rented a farm with high corn base or even added when selling one. I don’t believe it is a big deal anymore but was used in the LDP days and setaside or pik days. You could build base acres but only allowed so much per year.
Basis is basically “hidden freight charges”
See attached . The board price is $4.42 at one inland elevator basis is -.10 so you get $4.32 per bushel cash
The river basis is -.04 so you get $4.38
Basis changes on demand and river levels. Most time .10 is decent .05 is better have seen a positive basis of .10 as well when they need grain badly. Basis is the easiest way to make/lose money. Basis can swing from -.10 to -.30 overnight due to demand. So board price stays same but basis changed .20. What’s bad is when board drops and basis raises at the same time ,,,double whammy

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It always makes me grin when fat people complain about farm subsidies. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

kwg
If it's fenced, you could rent it out as pasture to get cropping history to be able to get it into CRP. Or find out how many years of grain it takes to get the min cropping history for the CRP application.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

kwg
If it's fenced, you could rent it out as pasture to get cropping history to be able to get it into CRP. Or find out how many years of grain it takes to get the min cropping history for the CRP application.

Unfortunately, it's not fenced. The price of fence material is sky high. I don't have enough years left to make it pay for me.

kwg

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,860
Posts18,497,174
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.