Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's not going to make any difference at 600, mostly due to wind--but I can assure you there's a significant difference in group size at 100 with my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle at 100 yards between .001" and .002" of runout. Which is why I perform the full brass-prep routine on my 6mm PPC cases.

A lot of it depends on the purpose of the rifle, whether shooting thousands of bison to feed railroad workers or shooting the tiniest 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. Horses for courses.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Huntz
Did you get the brass for free?
Nope.

would have sent a sample back and asked for a refund.
That would have gained nothing as I do this on all new brass anyway.

This bunch was a bit extreme and thought it might be of interest.

If the flash holes are as bad as you say, and the brass chips indicate, I'd dubur them as well. I've had to dubur some, but most times, it isn't necessary. On a bad lot, as it looks like you got, it is indeed necessary. Something to be aware of, for sure, but something I don't think I'd ever start a thread about. Just do it, and move on..

Pretty sure I remember you carrying on in a thread about filing away at flash holes with your torch tip cleaners. 🤔

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For my most frequently used units, I take 400 rds of once fired brass, do an anal brass prep, then weigh and sort down to the most uniform 100. Not a waste of time as group size is typically halved compared to virgin cartridges.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BSA did anybody ever tell you YOUR NOTHING BUT KEY BOARD DICK!!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Did you get the brass for free?
Nope.

would have sent a sample back and asked for a refund.
That would have gained nothing as I do this on all new brass anyway.

This bunch was a bit extreme and thought it might be of interest.

If the flash holes are as bad as you say, and the brass chips indicate, I'd dubur them as well. I've had to dubur some, but most times, it isn't necessary. On a bad lot, as it looks like you got, it is indeed necessary. Something to be aware of, for sure, but something I don't think I'd ever start a thread about. Just do it, and move on..

Pretty sure I remember you carrying on in a thread about filing away at flash holes with your torch tip cleaners. 🤔
HE JUST SHOWS WHOS CLUELESS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting what people are saying about Starline brass, early on in their production I heard a lot more criticism of it then good.

Might give Starline another look.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like to minimize all of the variable that I can control, so I do detailed case prep. It doesn't take that long and while it might not help, it certainly won't hurt.

Same for me.

However, i began a test with my Sako 85 308 when i purchased it new. I also purchased 1000 Lapua cases new. The test, I load the cases directly from the box with zero preparation. I have yet to shoot a group larger than 1/2 moa after +/- 150 rounds fired. Most have been one ragged hole.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Interesting what people are saying about Starline brass, early on in their production I heard a lot more criticism of it then good.

Might give Starline another look.

Yep, it wasn't that good early on--but have used it in various rounds since then, and it's been very good, including such "accuracy" cartridges as the 6.5 Grendel....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also mention that a lot of Norma brass is very good. In fact when I got my 6mm PPC bench rifle brass was kind of hard to find, since it was the middle of the Obama shortages.

Put an ad on the Campfire Classifieds, and one guy had a bunch of Lapua and Norma brass he was willing to sell. However, he warned me the Norma brass "was junk." I bought it all anyway, and found the Norma brass was more consistent than the Lapua. Am still using the Norma....

Oh, and also found during my years in the gun-writing business that many brass manufacturer have produced it for other firms, when somehow the other firm needs some but is too busy cranking cases out to fulfill their contracts. This not only includes American manufacturers, but Lapua and Norma....

John Steinbeck
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m needing some new brass with a different head stamp so I can keep track of the same chambering in different rifles…...i got way too many 270’s…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing I've found is that some brass needs a lot more preparation than others. I used to think RWS was overpriced, for example, but it comes nicely presented, prepared and sorted, ready to go straight from the box. Some other, less expensive brands have needed quite comprehensive preparation: trimming, chamfering, primer pocket uniforming, sizing, and sorting by weight. Factor those in and the time involved and it isn't such good value.

At least there's this though: if you don't lose it, and neck-anneal it regularly, and don't overload it to buggery, the brass you've spent that time preparing can last quite a number of cycles.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Have enough RWS .308 brass to last for all the hunting Eileen and I are going to do, which is quite a bit....

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard folks whine about Norma/Weatherby brass on various forums. I haven’t had issues with multiple firings in two cartridges. You know some folks would complain if you hung ’em with a new rope…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by WAM
I have heard folks whine about Norma/Weatherby brass on various forums. I haven’t had issues with multiple firings in two cartridges. You know some folks would complain if you hung ’em with a new rope…

So very true. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also mention that a lot of Norma brass is very good. In fact when I got my 6mm PPC bench rifle brass was kind of hard to find, since it was the middle of the Obama shortages.

Put an ad on the Campfire Classifieds, and one guy had a bunch of Lapua and Norma brass he was willing to sell. However, he warned me the Norma brass "was junk." I bought it all anyway, and found the Norma brass was more consistent than the Lapua. Am still using the Norma....

Oh, and also found during my years in the gun-writing business that many brass manufacturer have produced it for other firms, when somehow the other firm needs some but is too busy cranking cases out to fulfill their contracts. This not only includes American manufacturers, but Lapua and Norma....

About that Hornady 9.3 x 62 brass I was complaining about: When purchased at Epps, a large importer of American reloading supplies, the manager informed me that that nicely packaged Hornady brass was actually made in Europe by S&B. At Canadian Customs a manifesto had to declare in what country of origin it was manufactured, despite the package stating ""Made In The USA". Also, I was told that the 286gr ammo in 9.3 x 62 that Remington was sending to Europe; that bullet was the Hornady 286gr SP-RP.

And so the world churns . . .

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John, I've had good luck with some older Nosler brass for the 7-08 and 7mag, and current Norma brass for my 6.5 PRC. Am I correct that Norma made Nosler's brass for a while, maybe still do?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CZ550
About that Hornady 9.3 x 62 brass I was complaining about: When purchased at Epps, a large importer of American reloading supplies, the manager informed me that that nicely packaged Hornady brass was actually made in Europe by S&B. At Canadian Customs a manifesto had to declare in what country of origin it was manufactured, despite the package stating ""Made In The USA". Also, I was told that the 286gr ammo in 9.3 x 62 that Remington was sending to Europe; that bullet was the Hornady 286gr SP-RP.

And so the world churns . . .

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Bob, am not surprised about Remington using Hornady bullets.

Over 30 years ago the guy who'd been the writer-contact/public-relations person at Remington years sent me several kinds of "Core-Lokt" ammo. Some of the bullets looked very much like secant-ogive Hornady Interlock Spire Points (which Elmer Keith often called "pencil-pointed"). I pulled a couple and sectioned them, and wonder of wonders, they had Interlock rings inside the jackets.

It also turned out the Remington ammo folks had discontinued the heavy-jacket Core-Lokts, except the round-nose models--and hadn't told the PR guy....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
John, I've had good luck with some older Nosler brass for the 7-08 and 7mag, and current Norma brass for my 6.5 PRC. Am I correct that Norma made Nosler's brass for a while, maybe still do?

If I recall correctly, Norma made at least some brass for Nosler. But around a decade ago Nosler bought a Washington-state brass manufacturer named Silver State Armory and moved the equipment to Oregon, so they could make their own brass. I don't know how much Nosler makes themselves now, but the ultimate goal was to produce all their brass.

There are other independent companies that make cases for various ammo and reloading companies.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
some of my family and some friends worked at Federal Cartridge , believe me Federal made brass for many other companies ,i have some brass new and used from Federal that has different head stamped brand names on the brass made at Federal, they did shotgun ammo too for other companies. i sure mis the days of getting left over brass , once fired brass , and paper shotgun hulls , now days they have to throw all of it away. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,786
Posts18,477,223
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.