Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by drop_point
Personally, I'd rather have 100 rounds of a cartridge that will lay an enemy combatant on his ass than 400 rounds of ammo that I've got to shoot him 4 times to put down, all the while hoping he doesn't clack off a hidden IED while he's flopping around.
5.56 had no business as a war cartridge.
Tell me you know nothing about infantry tactics without telling me you nothing of infantry tactics.
Yeah, West Point didn't teach me sh-it about infantry tactics.
Where did you learn your infantry tactics?

Tell us about "fire and maneuver" and why less bullets is better than more bullets.
Less bullets is not better than more bullets, generally. However, a man can only tote so much crap on the battlefield and I'd rather tote less of something that will do its job that whole lots of stuff that won't.
Anyway, just WTF does your egotistical ass know about infantry tactics? Air Force, right?

The 187th Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division taught me my infantry tactics. Not some crap I read about or watched videos of on-line. 😉

Last edited by Triggernosis; 04/01/24.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I'd rather have 100 rounds of a cartridge that will lay an enemy combatant on his ass than 400 rounds of ammo that I've got to shoot him 4 times to put down, all the while hoping he doesn't clack off a hidden IED while he's flopping around.
Tell me you know nothing about infantry tactics without telling me you nothing of infantry tactics.
Yeah, West Point didn't teach me sh-it about infantry tactics.
Where did you learn your infantry tactics?

Tell us about "fire and maneuver" and why less bullets is better than more bullets.
Less bullets is not better than more bullets, generally. However, a man can only tote so much crap on the battlefield and I'd rather tote less of something that will do its job that whole lots of stuff that won't.
Anyway, just WTF does your egotistical ass know about infantry tactics? Air Force, right?

Yes I was in the Air Force and I would bet I did just as many real combat assaults as you did at West Point. Unlike many here my learning didn't stop after a 4 year hitch.

The fact you don't understand that for any given weight an infrantry grunt gets many more bullets of 5.56mm than of the new 6.8mm pretty much defines your whine.

The ol saw that the 5.56mm won't work is just silly based on over 2 decades of GWOT with the 5.56mm working really well in combat. You just look dumb stating the 5.56mm has "no business as a war cartridge". The 5.56mm has the longest and best run as a "war cartridge" the world has ever seen. The newer M855A1 version has proven even more effective in real combat.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
tdoyka Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
in case no one mentioned the 6.8x51 is designed to go thru level 4 body armor and plates at 500 meters, something the 5.56 is lacking. the Army 6.8 projectiles, are kept under wraps and not commercially available, is special materials rounds.

body armor is something to consider.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tarquin
The Sig steel base cartridge is ingenious since it allows for 80,000 PSi, but why not employ that concept in a Grendel-based cartridge (.22 ARC for example with an 80 grain pill or 6mm ARC with a 105 grain pill? You could motivate it at +3000 fps from a 16.5" barrel and still use the M4. With the 6mm ARC, 800-yard performance would be within an eyelash of the .227 Sig Fury but with much lighter ammo and rifle.

This!

Hardin284
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe I missed it, how many rounds can the standard issue magazine hold?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
War in the Middle East is only question of time. These will come in handy because when it comes to supporting Americas most valued ally in major war no boots on the ground is not going to be an option.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
RE: the change--There is a huge amount of money spent on R&D for new weapons--the military/industrial complex needs more money

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TBREW401
RE: the change--There is a huge amount of money spent on R&D for new weapons--the military/industrial complex needs more money
BINGO! That is the ultimate, most essential advantage of this pathetic feather nesting project. An in your face mooning of every single tax strapped citizen. These degenerates should be forced to the front lines in Ukraine toting their garbage. R&D field testing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And the civilians who will change to the new cartridge and rifles, along with reloading supplies, is a substantial market.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nah. They got the six five creed, best bullet ever. On the shelf everywhere.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The 5.56mm has the longest and best run as a "war cartridge" the world has ever seen.

Seems like the 7.62x39 ought to be at least mentioned in that breath as well.

No illusions/delusions about experience here, I didn't/haven't and am now to old to serve in any military capacity. The only version of "combat" I have experience with is trying to keep other boats off my marker bouy when catching is good. The last "war" video game I played extensively was on an Atari driving pixilated tanks.

Does it make any sense to have these available for the best few shooters in a squad, maybe for those who set a perimeter, or, as an option if traveling through open country? Does it have to be "All or nothing?"

Last edited by horse1; 04/02/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

That’s actually funny as hell.

P

Don’t shoot til you see the whites of their eyes!!!

lol

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tdoyka
in case no one mentioned the 6.8x51 is designed to go thru level 4 body armor and plates at 500 meters, something the 5.56 is lacking. the Army 6.8 projectiles, are kept under wraps and not commercially available, is special materials rounds.

Now if only the army could teach their soldiers to shoot.

whistle

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wonder what 80k psi is like when your buddy corks a few off next to your ear.

The standard 50-60k sucks pretty hard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't help but think that the 6.5 CM would have done just about everything they are trying to accomplish with a whole lot less R&D. If not the CM, a modified 260 Rem which is based upon the 308 case. In same bullet weights, the 6.5 has a higher BC and better long range performance than the 277.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by tdoyka

Now if only the army could teach their soldiers to shoot.

whistle

That is the best informed post on this thread. Warriors need to train hard and like to train hard.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one of the 101st's choppers flies over my house, as they do on a regular basis, and one of the new rifles falls out, and stuff has been known to, maybe I'll find it and give you guys a review.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's about time! I used the M16 in 'Nam and it sucked. Was always jamming just when you needed it most to perform. 'Course you became an expert at quickly recycling your weapon. The gooks had 30 round magazines and we had twenty round magazines. Put us at a disadvantage.

I'm glad that our military is finally providing a superior primary weapon for our service men and women.

It will be interesting to see how well that electronic scope performs. Maybe carry several extra batteries? It would be a bitch for the battery to run out just when you need it the most. Some users may elect to use a simple telescopic site.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I wonder what 80k psi is like when your buddy corks a few off next to your ear.

The standard 50-60k sucks pretty hard.
Weren't they going to be supplied with suppressors?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Two things strike me about this: 1) the most important tool in the military, after the soldier, is being designed using analytics ala McNamara and the Whiz Kids in the 60's, not boots on the ground grunts. Interesting the MACV-SOG guys and LRRPS carried their weight in ammo. 2) the other thing that if this is the main battle weapon of our ground forces, then our arsenals are going to have to ramp up production bigly...and there's goes prices and components for civilians.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.