Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Welcome back Ren 50 a timely resurrection to boot.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We lost one in 10 Forward Air Controllers, either killed or captured. That wasn't nearly as high as chopper guys, but that's because we flew a bit higher and faster. Not by much.

The chief element of the FAC mission is the word "control". FACs OWNED the air. Not one Air Force bomb was dropped in South 'Nam without the express direction and permission of a FAC. We found the enemy, we gathered and directed air assets, coordinated with ground troops, directed every bombing pass, did damage assessment, recorded exact map coordinates of targets, graded the performance of every fighter's role, keep track/count of enemy weapons fired, and spoke on at least three different radios. All while flying the plane, navigating, avoiding ground fire, and keeping constant visual contact with fighters. Simultaneously. It is literally true that every decision or action we took risked lives: the enemy, our troops, the fighters - and us. No matter what we did, somebody lived and somebody died.

Decades later, the Air War College did a study and concluded that the Vietnam FAC mission was the most difficult and highest stress mission ever flown. I can't venture an opinion on that because when I did it, it seemed like I was in control (that word again) of whatever I got into. But I can vouch for the adrenaline level and sense of time warp when so many things happen so fast.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I drink coffee most mornings with a group of Vietnam vets, one was a helicopter pilot and one a Navy pilot who flew missions over the North every day. Lotsa interesting stories. Another member of the group is the former Commanding General of the 101st Airborne who rode a helicopter down after taking hostile fire. There are former members of the Army, Navy, Marines and the Air Force, enlisted men and officers, several with Purple Hearts and other service commendations.

Worth a post....

What former CG of the 101st was shot down in a helicopter during the Vietnam War?

That Question would be on every Soldier of the month board
Every soldier of the Quarter board
Every soldier of the year board.
In every unit from the 101 asked by every CSM and 1sg at battalion level, up to Bde and Div CSM,s at division level boards.
And asked at every E5 and E6 promotion board in every battalion from Combat Support to Combat Arms in the 101st.
And would most def be mentioned in the Veitnam section at Pratt museum on post.

Military history kinda stuff.....

Kinda funny.... I did 3 tours in the 101st from 1990 to 2004
Never heard of this " obscure factoid"
Ever.....
Nor have I ever heard it from anyone ever in any unit I was assigned to in the 101st

You word this like this former CG that got shot down in a bird over vietnam that you sip coffee with is still a 02 consumer.

List of CG,s of the 101st from 65 to 72 while the unit was in veitnam and the year they stopped being O2 users..
Powell 11
Stenberg 04
Barsanti 73
Zias 81
Wright 14
Hennesey 01
Tarpley 86
Cushman 17

So which Weekend at Bernies former CG of the 101st that rode a bird down in Vietnam after taking hostile fire are you drinking coffee with????

You know it, it seems.
Let the rest of us know it please.
Just to clear this up...
I will own this if I am mistaken, feel free to enlighten me and others that served in the 101 on here.
👍🏻
Allow me to bump

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I drink coffee most mornings with a group of Vietnam vets, one was a helicopter pilot and one a Navy pilot who flew missions over the North every day. Lotsa interesting stories. Another member of the group is the former Commanding General of the 101st Airborne who rode a helicopter down after taking hostile fire. There are former members of the Army, Navy, Marines and the Air Force, enlisted men and officers, several with Purple Hearts and other service commendations.

Worth a post....

What former CG of the 101st was shot down in a helicopter during the Vietnam War?

In every unit from the 101 asked by every CSM and 1sg at battalion level, up to Bde and Div CSM,s at division level boards.
And asked at every E5 and E6 promotion board in every battalion from Combat Support to Combat Arms in the 101st.

Ever.....
Nor have I ever heard it from anyone ever in any unit I was assigned to in the 101st

You word this like this former CG that got shot down in a bird over vietnam that you sip coffee with is still a 02 consumer.

List of CG,s of the 101st from 65 to 72 while the unit was in veitnam and the year they stopped being O2 users..
Powell 11
Stenberg 04
Barsanti 73
Zias 81
Wright 14
Hennesey 01
Tarpley 86
Cushman 17

So which Weekend at Bernies former CG of the 101st that rode a bird down in Vietnam after taking hostile fire are you drinking coffee with????

You know it, it seems.
Just to clear this up...
I will own this if I am mistaken, feel free to enlighten me and others that served in the 101 on here.
👍🏻
Allow me to bump

Lol!!!
Thinking of promotion boards and getting grilled on all subjects that CSM,s and 1SG,s ask ya in the hot seat.

Added the soccer fuuking bullschit question I was asked to my original post.
Current events is the only board subject not covered in board study guides...

Last edited by renegade50; 04/11/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/quote]
[quote=gunswizard]I drink coffee most mornings with a group of Vietnam vets, one was a helicopter pilot and one a Navy pilot who flew missions over the North every day. Lotsa interesting stories. Another member of the group is the former Commanding General of the 101st Airborne who rode a helicopter down after taking hostile fire. There are former members of the Army, Navy, Marines and the Air Force, enlisted men and officers, several with Purple Hearts and other service commendations.

Worth a post....

Ever.....

You word this like this former 101 CG that got shot down in a bird over vietnam that you sip coffee with is still a 02 consumer.

Powell 11
Stenberg 04
Barsanti 73
Zias 81
Wright 14
Hennesey 01
Tarpley 86
Cushman 17

You know it, it seems.
Just to clear this up...

Oh....
My bad...
Add NCO boards to match all those soldier boards that go on also...
👍🏻

Oh...

Another little known factoid.

Cameroon beat Argentina 1 - 0 in some fuuking world cup soccer game in 1990.

Homie got a 198 out of 200 on his e6 board in June of 90 2nd time in Korea.
Then arrived at the 101 for his 1st time in July of 90.

Current events question I bombed on my E6 board.....
Just some example of schit you don't forget no matter how obscure.....
🤦‍♂️ soccer......

minor point, which may or may not be relevant....

Another member of the group is the former Commanding General of the 101st Airborne who rode a helicopter down after taking hostile fire.

Another way of understanding the sentence:

Say a 2nd Lt is in Vietnam in some un-named unit, in a chopper that goes down, in 1972, say. 30 years later, (2002) he makes CG of the 101st.

if he was 22 in 1972, he would be 74 now? Still able to go out for coffee, potentially.

The sentence would still apply?

Sorry about Cameroon, they might have had it in for you.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Rocky,
I'm glad it worked for you! I called them the screaming meemies before I ever heard of PTSD. And I had 'em for years; I wonder how others tolerated me. Through luck and effort, I have largely left the meemies behind. I'm afraid to think/say/write much of then because I don't want those boxes opened. For those like you, a big hand salute.
Be well,
RB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is truly uncorking the bottle to voice it, RB. Either aloud or on paper - whichever works best for you. I write so that was my best outlet.

How many times do you read about guys who never voiced anything about their war, and were never quite right? I think it's causal; keeping it in...keeps it in.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
While I won't post his name on the internet, he is soon to be 90 years old. Still gets around and has coffee with us once a week or so. He participates in the honor flights and speaks to veterans groups all over the US and Europe. He spoke at the 75th commemoration of the Normandy invasion I have a jar of sand from Omaha Beach that he gave me here on my desk.i

Last edited by gunswizard; 04/11/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ok

So no validation on truthfulness or accuracy.

Can you confirm his name is among that last Ren50 cited?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
While I won't post his name on the internet, he is soon to be 90 years old. Still gets around and has coffee with us once a week or so. He participates in the honor flights and speaks to veterans groups all over the US and Europe. He spoke at the 75th commemoration of the Normandy invasion I have a jar of sand from Omaha Beach that he gave me here on my desk.i

Worth another post...

So this guy is 90 yrs old soon.
So that would put him what???
Born in 1934.
Age 10 in 44
20 in 54
30 in 64
So let's say he commissioned as a 2lt at age 21 or 22 in 55 or 56.

So from 1965 to 1972 he was what???
31 to 38 yrs old and a 2 Star Major General CG in the 101 in Vietnam..
He made Major General in 65 with 10 or 11 yrs Time in service
Or made it in 71 72 with 18 or 19 years time in service.
Or some where in between those 2 rough dates and age.
Uh huh.......

Cause you sure as fuuuggg seem to be sticking to that story it seems, playing this vague plausible deniability thing.
LMFAO!!!!

Was a former CG in the 101
Went down in chopper in Vietnam....
This would be ohhhhhh soooooo common knowledge in the 101...

And you won't post his name on the web, like you are protecting his identity, even though this type of info is on literally 100,s of hits for units of all branches going back for 100,s of years.
Oh...
Let's not forget the presidential nomination and senate confirmation of flag grade officers either.

It's soooooooooo secret squirrel stuff..
LMFAO!!!!

Your math don't jive per any average age of rank progression
Your story don't jive with who was who during the time frame.

Oh BTW..
It still would be common knowledge what former Division commander of the 101 was shot down in a helicopter while stationed in Vietnam. Even if they was a division CG from the 80,s up through the mid to late 90,s
MG Jack Keene was our CG around the 92 94 time frame.
MG Peay was our CG during Desert Storm.
Other examples of Vietnam era officers thruout all branches are like this that made flag rank in the 80,s and 90,s and up into the 2000,s.
King " David " Petraeus was CG during OIF 1
not a Nam vet...

Have a nice day.....

Last edited by renegade50; 04/11/24. Reason: Added more nuggets... Hum a na Hum a na Hum a na....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Worth another post...

Born in 1934.
Age 10 in 44
20 in 54
30 in 64

Uh huh.......

Cause you sure as fuuuggg seem to be sticking to that story it seems, playing this vague plausible deniability thing.
LMFAO!!!!

And you won't post his name on the web, like you are protecting his identity, even though this type of info is on literally 100,s of hits for units of all branches going back for 100,s of years.

Have a nice day.....

LOL

HAVE A NICE DAY

ASSCLOWN

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I get to chester like spike and chester

Like CHLinstructor when Renegade50 is going after Jason Cardoza’s latest Elk91 sockpuppet. Nipping at the heels.

LOL

get em spike

And then lets go chase some cats!! 😃

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t forget Bagnal 81-83

And.....
Gunswizard logs off and bails soon after dropping that last post.
Uh huuhhh....

Now praying other members don't jump on it, other than you and it goes to the back pages...

LMFAO!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are those of us who were genudamnine BTDT guys, and those who were not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get to chester like spike and chester

Like CHLinstructor when Renegade50 is going after Jason Cardoza’s latest Elk91 sockpuppet. Nipping at the heels.

LOL

get em spike

And then lets go chase some cats!! 😃

LMAO!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do you seriously think that I give a flying p huk what any internet idiots think ? If any of you are in Indy sometime I'll introduce you and let you shake the General's hand.

Last edited by gunswizard; 04/11/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
About Face by David H Hackworth.

My friend about whom I wrote above, Dennis Foley, served with Hackworth in Vietnam, and is mentioned a couple of times in Hackworth's book, About Face.

They were also neighbors in Montana until Hackworth died.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do you seriously think that I give a flying p huk what any internet idiots think ? If any of you are in Indy sometime I'll introduce you and let you shake the General's hand.
Full of shît

Caught in a lies

Shake his hand, LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
About Face by David H Hackworth.

My friend about whom I wrote above, Dennis Foley, served with Hackworth in Vietnam, and is mentioned a couple of times in Hackworth's book, About Face.

They were also neighbors in Montana until Hackworth died.

FWIW.

L.W.

Yes, I remember Foley. He wrote at least one book. Fiction based on experience. He was leading the Tiger Force at one time.
Another of Hack's men became head of a rifle manufacturer in Montana. Larry Tahler.

Some of the Rangers who did LRRPs have written about their experiences.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Worth another post...

Born in 1934.
Age 10 in 44
20 in 54
30 in 64

Uh huh.......

LMFAO!!!!

Have a nice day.....

LOL

HAVE A NICE DAY

ASSCLOWN

Bump

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17Hunter, 72 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,983
Posts18,480,914
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.