Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male that survives off of clickbait. Dude is clueless.

Follow a youtube channel worth a dam

thlr.no

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/11/24.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I personally would not have chosen the 300 win mag for a 100 shot challenge. Interesting video.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I went right to the second video and quit watching after about 90 seconds when the dude shooting is obviously so much of a rookie that he has no clue how to fire a rifle from prone

No rear bag and left hand on the fore end

Pathetic

Same.
The Burns vid. I don't think people realize the wind there. Looked a little stiff from the grass blowing in the background. Pretty damn good shot. Specially at something breathing.
Also, the factory tikka a the vortex or whatever with factory ammo in some of the vids? Yea.....not gonna happen.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Plus the first dude gets busted right between his running lights while 'sighting in' or whatever.....lmao

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dude270
I saw that video a little while back. It's an excellent example of the lies a lot of us tell ourselves.

I really enjoy shooting out to 1000 yards (about as far as I can get) but I've realized about 450 and in is where I can consistently make hits in field conditions.

It may be "lies", for some guys that don't shoot that far very often. A lot of guys have a hard time shooting 100 yards. Then again, there are a lot of guys I know that don't have any issue at all shooting at 600 yards. As an example, one of the targets I shoot at, in competition, is a rabbit silhouette at 611 yards. No rear rest and from the prone, off a pack or bipod. 400-500 yards is short range, for some guys. That's where I set the steel chucks at, and they are only 3" wide. At 400 yards, a good shooter and rifle should produce sub 1" groups. Even most of my hunting rifles will shoot 2" groups at 400 yards. It's really not that far of a shot, if you are set up right.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm just making the point that there are a lot of guys running around with a cheap vortex with knobs and unconfirmed dope on their rifles that absolutely believe they are somehow now 600 yard hunters even though they have never shot their rifle at a target past 100 yards.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male that survives off of clickbait. Dude is clueless.

thlr.no

He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds.

[.270 Winchester laughing]

GR

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[quote

He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR[/quote]

You might add laying on your belly like Lizard, if you can't shoot without laying down you might as well stay home and take a nap Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am guessing that the width of a gallon of milk is around 6 inches wide and around 9 or 10" high.
I know we have some high shoulder shooters and then we have heart lung shooters. When you take those two areas for a width, the dimensions (not milk jug for sure), are going to be different-Definitely wider.
Then when you start talking different big game animals, the kill zones will vary as well.
People who hunt at distance, who are good at it, do not make distance alone the deciding factor of whether to shoot or not.
It is just one of many.

If you took 2 good shooters/similar rifles and ballistics levels and have them shoot the same course on two different times or in two different conditions.
One condition is the closest thing to a dead calm, while the other one is wind at 15 gusting up to 30 miles per hour, and at times dropping below 10 mph.
We all know the end result.
Switch the shooters to the opposite conditions, and let them shoot the same course of fire-No surprises what the outcome will be.

The large chamberings/heavy bullets lightweight rifles will pound people to death when setting down 100 rounds at a time.
I don't know of anyone who is going to put 100 rounds with a magnum hunting rifle down at a time to practice.
Maybe some here do that though...It's possible

Do I think this is a cool challenge? Yes
Do I think I would clean it? NO
Would it be humbling at times? Yes
Would it be fun and good practice? Yes
Would I use a large magnum cartridge to shoot this challenge? NO
Do I recognize that going to a lighter kicking gun may cause me to give up a performance edge, but I will probably shoot better overall, because the gun behaves better, and is not beating me up? Yes
Do I run 100 rounds plus fouling shots between cleanings on large case capacity cartridges or shoot that many rounds at a time? NO

I have watched several of his videos and enjoyed them

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, the wind demons are bad enough, but, you've GOT to start with hitting dead center at 100, it's a goat roping [bleep] if you don't, great vids, Thanks MM.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RIO7
Originally Posted by Garandimal
He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds.

GR

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You might add laying on your belly like Lizard, if you can't shoot without laying down you might as well stay home and take a nap Rio7

Standing-to-Sitting/sling/5-second interval - no bi-pod or rangefinder.

That determines a rifleman's hunting range.

It would be a clown-show to watch any'of'm try that.

GR

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GR
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

It would be a clown-show to watch any'of'm try that. GR

It determines your definition of a rifleman's hunting range...I am good with that.
Enjoy your definition and time frame.
If I can't get in a steady/solid enough position before the animal moves, I don't pull the trigger, and the animals lives at least for awhile longer.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

GR

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR

I agree with that and being a 'rifleman' and a great shot under hunting circumstances. We are talking long range here. Like past 600 is what I consider long range. That's gonna require what Rio calls "the lizard position" and some rear stock support, a damn good rig, and some serious optics to consistently pop your target. If I were to take that guy up on his challenge, which 100 shots is damn near impossible to hit in a row, but I'm bringing an nxs 22 power, suppressed, front support as well as rear, and I'm shooting the ol 6.5x284. Leave the magnum at home. Out to 600, shoot, a 243 win and heavies could do that. 100 for 100 on anything is pretty tough.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Throw a time limit in there like mentioned above, yeah, that'd be a schit show.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like watching a Jerry Lewis Telethon. Hint.

Bless their hearts...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I thought the vids were a good demonstration of long range realities vs expectations for the vast majority of shooters.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've shot enough long range in the field, to grasp some realities.

A milk jug is a pretty small target, only about 6" wide by 8" tall if you ignore the spout area. At 500 yards, a 1 moa rifle shooting 5" groups at 500 yards, has very little room for any error in wind call, or an unstable position.

Anyhoo, sharing these vids here has brought out some good shooting discussion. Sure beats talking politics and other current events.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get the context,but it was rough to watch and I bailed early. Hint.(grin)

The choice of equipment a bitter pill too,but very few actually have a first fhuqking clue. I've long found milk jugs to mimic critterly vital sizing and a nice barometer of equipment and conditions...but at 500yds I'm generally shooting chicken eggs! Hint.

Just dropped my Taxes off,looks like new glass arrived in the Mail and a Crazy Pard arrives tomorrow,so the stage is set for a Right Proper Spring Fling Cast & Blast if he listens. Hopefully he doesn't forget to bring card readers. It appears like Chrome is gonna cooperate and because he's not a Gun/Hunting Guy,it might could be interesting to turn him loose at LR,if only to see WTF. Rest assured it won't be a 300Mag,Vortex or Factory Fodder. 4 weeks off is a GRIND! Hint.

Just sayin'...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
A sporterweight 300 WinMag isn't something I'd care to shoot much (at all).

Enjoy that 4 weeks!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10

GR

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR

I agree with that and being a 'rifleman' and a great shot under hunting circumstances. We are talking long range here. Like past 600 is what I consider long range. That's gonna require what Rio calls "the lizard position" and some rear stock support, a damn good rig, and some serious optics to consistently pop your target. If I were to take that guy up on his challenge, which 100 shots is damn near impossible to hit in a row, but I'm bringing an nxs 22 power, suppressed, front support as well as rear, and I'm shooting the ol 6.5x284. Leave the magnum at home. Out to 600, shoot, a 243 win and heavies could do that. 100 for 100 on anything is pretty tough.
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Throw a time limit in there like mentioned above, yeah, that'd be a schit show.
Not as difficult as a 100-round practical rifle match, but similar. Cleaning a 100-round day/match is basically unheard of.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I get the context,but it was rough to watch and I bailed early. Hint.(grin)

The choice of equipment a bitter pill too,but very few actually have a first fhuqking clue. I've long found milk jugs to mimic critterly vital sizing and a nice barometer of equipment and conditions...but at 500yds I'm generally shooting chicken eggs! Hint.

Just dropped my Taxes off,looks like new glass arrived in the Mail and a Crazy Pard arrives tomorrow,so the stage is set for a Right Proper Spring Fling Cast & Blast if he listens. Hopefully he doesn't forget to bring card readers. It appears like Chrome is gonna cooperate and because he's not a Gun/Hunting Guy,it might could be interesting to turn him loose at LR,if only to see WTF. Rest assured it won't be a 300Mag,Vortex or Factory Fodder. 4 weeks off is a GRIND! Hint.

Just sayin'...................(grin)
I wanted to bail early, but stuck it out to the end for the entertainment value. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

thlr.no

[.270 Winchester laughing]

GR

Yes, you'd know something about that. (Hint....it's you)

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,238
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.