Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Enels57 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hey fellow southpaws. First time posting but long time browser of the forum. Im 30 and located in NC, have always shot right handed rifles, and want to purchase my first Lefty bolt gun. I come from a .270 family and primary target whitetail. A lot of my spots I travel to by boat and typically have to walk in a couple miles through the thick so I tend to use my equipment decently hard. I got a budget of ~$1200 for just the rifle.

Im currently evaluating the following rifles and could use some input from folks who have them or have shot them.

--tikka tx3 lite
--tikka tx3 roughtech
--christensen arms messa
--bergara b14 timber

I'm leaning towards a tikka as it seems to check all the boxes but the others listed have a few options I also like. Can someone tell me if the Tikka roughtech stock is actually any different from the regular tx3 besides the roughtech coating? The bergara seems like a nice option but man would it hurt my feelings dinging that wood up in the boat and scratches from briars and what not. I have the urge to hunt/target shoot suppressed in the future but that's not a huge deal at this point. I see mixed reviews on Christensen arms so unsure on them but a suppressed 20", 7mm-08 has caught my eye.

Any input is appreciated

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd get the Tikka T3x lite, or the roughtech. The lite is way more economical than the Roughtech. The Roughtech stock is exactly the same as the T3x stock, but with a coating on it. If you wanted a coating on the T3X stock, you could paint it yourself. I bought a Roughtech stock on ebay for $79.99 with free shipping, but good luck getting one for that price now, and a left hand roughtech stock may be nonexistent.

For what you are describing, though, I'd just buy the T3x. The Bergara is going to be much heavier, and probably not even as accurate/precise. I wouldn't buy a CA Messa either, they are hit and miss. I'd buy a Ridgeline over a Messa, but that may just be me. I'd also probably buy a Left hand Ruger 77, or Winchester model 70, before any of your choices, besides the Tikka... Good luck with your decision. Also, good luck switching over to the left hand bolt. I much prefer a right handed rifle, shooting off the bench, or in the prone, and even hunting. Have just used the right handed bolts for too long..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a LH Tikka for sale, $800 shipped. Blued steel and walnut, 30-06, T3x Hunter.
Ok, Shameless plug over. Unless you want to buy my LH Christensen Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor for $1250 shipped.
Of the two I think the Tikka is the better value. The Mesa feels better in my hands and looks much nicer. But the Tikkas just flat work and usually shoot superb.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I have a LH Tikka for sale, $800 shipped. Blued steel and walnut, 30-06, T3x Hunter.
Ok, Shameless plug over. Unless you want to buy my LH Christensen Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor for $1250 shipped.
Of the two I think the Tikka is the better value. The Mesa feels better in my hands and looks much nicer. But the Tikkas just flat work and usually shoot superb.

That's a good deal on the Tikka. If he bought it, he could always try to find a factory tupperware stock for it. There's one on ebay right now for a little over $110.00 after shipping.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My rifle acquisitions have tapered off as I really have just about everything I need. But it's always nice when new left-handed models become available since the options are limited for southpaws. So I was glad to see that the Bergara B-14 Timberline was being released in LH models. I even exchanged some emails with Bergara customer service about them while I was trying to determine if one of them would be a good fit for my small collection. A quality 700 clone could be a nice rifle to own. That's why I was glad to see that Bergara recently added their Sierra model to the LH lineup. A note on the page says that they'll start being available in Q2 of this year:

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14wilderness/Sierra/

I think each of the models you're currently looking at would be a good choice. But I would add this one to the consideration list as well if waiting a little longer for it to appear is not problematic. EuroOptic.com has placeholders for the 6.5CM & the .308 but none in stock yet.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a T3 lite ss 3006 LH that I put in a B&C medalist stock. Rifle has always shot sub MOA....

I hunted with so many right hand rifles for so long that when I finally purchased a LH bolt gun, it felt awkward.

What part of NC are you from.....I grew up in robeson county.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The tikka lite stainless is the easy answer. I have a couple and they are drama free.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Many thanks odonata for Bergara link. I'll be checking out the Sierra. That said, the Tikka is the easy button here. It will do everything you ask of it without issues.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Many thanks odonata for Bergara link. I'll be checking out the Sierra. That said, the Tikka is the easy button here. It will do everything you ask of it without issues.

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about a Tikka yet. My friend has one and accuracy-wise, it is top notch. I think it is good value for the money & always a solid choice. Having said that, I shoot a left-handed Cooper 22, Sako 85, Ruger Mkii, Winchester 70 & a couple of Brownings instead so my personal Tikka experience is limited. The majority of my rifles are ambidextrous Ruger No. 1's & Winchester 1885's since I'm a goofy right-hander who shoots left. crazy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go find a good M77. There is an 06 M77 LH with a Leupold scope for $1200 on Gunbroker right now. Budget. Boom. Go hunt. Next thread.

Last edited by bluefish; 04/12/24.

The way life should be.
IC B3

E
Enels57 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally from New Bern area but now reside in Wilmington. Safe to say I have to travel a bit to hunt
Originally Posted by SCgman1
I have a T3 lite ss 3006 LH that I put in a B&C medalist stock. Rifle has always shot sub MOA....

I hunted with so many right hand rifles for so long that when I finally purchased a LH bolt gun, it felt awkward.

What part of NC are you from.....I grew up in robeson county.

E
Enels57 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for all of the replies thus far. I had a feeling the replies would be Tikka heavy and agree the tx3 lite stainless is an overall better option over the roughtech, especially being stainless steel vs blued.

That bergara b14 Sierra definitely peaks my interest but no 270 in the left hand model. I'm not a caliber snob but figured if I was going to make a change, I'd likely go with a short action - unless it was a Tikka because it was my understanding that the action lengths are the same for all calibers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the tikka,

Check europtics.

They did have a rebate going on and the roifhtec on sale.

Woulda put in about ~$925 or so..

May have expired.

Also, I’ve gotten better deals than listed by calling in and ordering VS the website.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could go old school cool. I never had issues getting these older ones to shoot well.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1041487479

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Tikka 270, stainless with the black upper ware stock. I would sell it for $725 shipped in the lower 48. Rifle is in excellent shape, would pass as new.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sportsman's has a LH Tikka T3x .270 online right now for $930. Add scope of your choice and go hunt. Last new rifle I purchased was a Left Hand T3x Super Light, 6.5CM. Not crazy about the Tikka T3/T3x stock ergonomics. Just dropped it into a LH McMillan Hunter Edge I picked up here on 24HCF. 7 lbs 2 oz with a Leupold 1.5x5x20 on top and two god-a-grip cheek risers.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I have a Tikka 270, stainless with the black upper ware stock. I would sell it for $725 shipped in the lower 48. Rifle is in excellent shape, would pass as new.

That is a great deal. I always laugh at why everyone thinks they need to buy new. Others are quoting prices of over $900.00 for the same rifle you have.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That Bergara Sierra looks great, but I assure you you won't be disappointed with a Tikka. Snowwolfe's .270 (shudder) (grin) looks to be a deal.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BTW, if you end up with an earlier T3 rather than one of the current T3X's, you'll likely want a Limbsaver recoil pad; one made a world of difference on my .308.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Like everyone said Tikka is the easy answer.

Personally I prefer an lefty Mauser, Ruger 77, or maybe the Winchester M70 and have all these models and am covered. I'm not a big Remington 700 or clone fan but do have one in 270win that's good.

If I were starting out all over today I would puck me up a Ruger 77 and Tikka T3 Lite in the chambers I desired and then an lefty Ruger scout rifle. Thankfully already did this and I'm covered for everything I need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,745
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.