Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Where were the Auto-5's built that were made in 1954? I have 2 with sequential serial numbers.

Last edited by Puddle; 04/11/24.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“With the exception of a few lenses everything is domestically sourced in its raw state.”

Precision Rifle Shooter, 2024 Spring Edition page 36

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Darryle Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You’ve owned 200 Auto-5s?

Yeah, actually probably over 200, just not at once. I consigned over 125 after my divorce, probably still have over a couple dozen, a Grade 3 12, 16 and 20 ga set, probably a dozen NIB Stalker Light and Mag 12s, custom built 1991 Mag 12 with 28" Hastings Wadlock barrel done in Black T, NIB NWTF Mag 12, a first year Stalker 32" Mag 12 that has 10s of 1000s of rounds thru it, a couple of POW Light and Mag 20 guns NIB, a 2 gun matching serial number 12/20 Grade 3 set, a 3 gun set I put together from 1965, Light 12, Sweet 16 and Light 20, a first year double spring 1958 Mag 12 that is close to NIB, a 1909 Standard 12. I even have 2 aluminum receiver Diawa 12ga guns, shot sporting clays with one for a few seasons.

They're just guns, no one appreciates them any more, including me, when you can carry a little 5lb 28ga and shoot 5/8oz powder puff loads, hard to pick up a 9lb shotgun or shoot heavy loads of lead or steel.

They will be passed on to kiddos I know who eat sleep and breath hunting and fishing.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
D
Darryle Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Puddle
Where were the Auto-5's built that were made in 1954? I have 2 with sequential serial numbers.

Belgium, 1954 thru 1957 were some of the finest Auto-5s produced

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Darryle
Well glass doesn't bother me, springs and seals, maybe not a huge concern either.

I have my eye on a VX-5HD or possibly a VX-6HD.

I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion. But, there were probably only 2 or 3 Auto-5s made physically in the USA, after that they were all made in Herstal or Kochi, except for the American Browning's. I've only had a couple hundred different Auto-5s, so, I probably don't know much about there quality.
if Leupold is having issues with tracking and holding zero I would think the springs would be one of the concerns..

IC B2

D
Darryle Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
if Leupold is having issues with tracking and holding zero I would think the springs would be one of the concerns..

Are they having wide ranging issues? I have had 2, maybe 3 out of literally hundreds of cheap Leupolds that failed to track or hold zero. Yes, a tap on the turret was often required unless you ran the turrets thru their range a few times to avoid wasting ammo. But once set, they stayed in place. I have returned more for damage to be repaired or replaced than for mechanical issues.

At some point, we have to heed Sticks advice, shoot more, post less.

I am going to order me a 5 or 6 once I commit to a reticle and magnification. I damn sure won't be posting about it either way, there's enough nonsense here now.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Are they having wide ranging issues? I have had 2, maybe 3 out of literally hundreds of cheap Leupolds that failed to track or hold zero. Yes, a tap on the turret was often required unless you ran the turrets thru their range a few times to avoid wasting ammo. But once set, they stayed in place. I have returned more for damage to be repaired or replaced than for mechanical issues.

I am going to order me a 5 or 6 once I commit to a reticle and magnification. I damn sure won't be posting about it either way, there's enough nonsense here now.
from what gets reported that I've seen it's the higher end ones that seem to have more trouble than the cheaper ones??

but I agree with you on shoot more post less get actual experience and see what products work for you and what don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Things got better,yesterday afternoon. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Ironically, shooting more is what reveals the mechanical problems that people run into. No scope has mechanical issues while sitting in the safe, and I'm guessing that it's difficult to keep enough ammo in stock to shoot hundreds of scopes enough to reveal mechanical problems. Either way, we should all use what works for our needs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trends and Track Records matter,as not all wares are "equal",let alone close. Hint.

Furthermore,not all Manufacturers can keep pace and more than a few are cutting costs,while "offering" schittier products for more money. None of which is "secreted" information. Hint.

Spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
“With the exception of a few lenses everything is domestically sourced in its raw state.”

Precision Rifle Shooter, 2024 Spring Edition page 36

Thank you!

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You’ve owned 200 Auto-5s?

Yeah, actually probably over 200, just not at once. I consigned over 125 after my divorce, probably still have over a couple dozen, a Grade 3 12, 16 and 20 ga set, probably a dozen NIB Stalker Light and Mag 12s, custom built 1991 Mag 12 with 28" Hastings Wadlock barrel done in Black T, NIB NWTF Mag 12, a first year Stalker 32" Mag 12 that has 10s of 1000s of rounds thru it, a couple of POW Light and Mag 20 guns NIB, a 2 gun matching serial number 12/20 Grade 3 set, a 3 gun set I put together from 1965, Light 12, Sweet 16 and Light 20, a first year double spring 1958 Mag 12 that is close to NIB, a 1909 Standard 12. I even have 2 aluminum receiver Diawa 12ga guns, shot sporting clays with one for a few seasons.

They're just guns, no one appreciates them any more, including me, when you can carry a little 5lb 28ga and shoot 5/8oz powder puff loads, hard to pick up a 9lb shotgun or shoot heavy loads of lead or steel.

They will be passed on to kiddos I know who eat sleep and breath hunting and fishing.

Oh I appreciate them plenty, but I sold my last one because I was shooting enough clays that sooner or later I’d have to have it worked on, tough as they are. The 725 I replaced it with will likely bury me.

After a slump in prices that lasted for quite some time, it appears they’re going up again.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Darryle Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
I bought when every one and their brother had to have a Benelli SBE. People were selling them for stupid cheap, I am talking Mag 12 Stalkers for $500 or less new in the box. I bought that 3 gun Grade 3 set for less than $3k, each new in the box and never assembled so the guy could buy his 2 boys each a new SBE II. I have been offered stupid money for a new in the box Stalker with Invector Plus chokes as long as it had a 28" barrel. They cycle like everything else, ups and downs. If you purchased one at the Tulsa Gun Show between late 2017 and late 2018, it likely came from my collection. I cherry picked and kept the best for nephews and friends kids after I die.

Ex wife collected hangovers, I collected Auto-5s.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^ I haven’t gone through that many, but I’m not far under 75….trying to count them up. I should have kept more of them. $ got stupid on some rarer ones that just sat, so I sold those. I should have kept more of the Stalkers and somehow I don’t have any 20s anymore. HM Shirley used to crack me up when he’d start talking about the 3k Auto 5s he’d owned, and letting the Browning execs in Utah shoot stuff they swore that Browning never made. Lol.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Waiting in Ft. Lauderdale airport for a flight to Seattle and I was reading Precision Rifle when I came across this…,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Darryle Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Why can you not subscribe online to that magazine? You can buy the back issues, but I will be damned if I can find a way to subscribe online, either print or digital.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
If you want a high end optic with the feature set of the VX-5/6 there really is not a lot out there.

.........................excellent tracking/zero retention...............

You lost me there.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People are putting a pile of confidence into "assembled in USA" by a guy making 17-19 bucks an hour - in the Portland area. But the machinist starts at 20....

Assemblers.

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
If you want a high end optic with the feature set of the VX-5/6 there really is not a lot out there.

.........................excellent tracking/zero retention...............

You lost me there.

Sorry about your luck. My three have been working great for years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why can you not subscribe online to that magazine? You can buy the back issues, but I will be damned if I can find a way to subscribe online, either print or digital.

It's an SIP (Special Interest Publication) and they are often newsstand only.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,804
Posts18,477,500
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.