-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cheap living in the third world. Think it's worth it?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB4

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Supply and demand. Take that $338k house and plop it in downtown Asheville and it'll cost you more than twice that. Put it in downtown Breckenridge CO or on the beach in CA, and it'll be 4X.

Because people will pay that in those locations.

Ecuador? Not so much.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its [bleep] Ecuador. Are you kidding with this?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Land costs, based on location, is among the largest variables in building. You failed to mention that. You also seem to want to define capitalism through inflation. I'm no economist but you're going to need to explain that to me.

Here is a simple definition of Capitalism. "Capitalism is often thought of as an economic system in which private actors own and control property in accord with their interests, and demand and supply freely set prices in markets in a way that can serve the best interests of society. The essential feature of capitalism is the motive to make a profit." Inflation happens in every economic system. Like you, I don't like inflation and how it has diminished the value of the dollar but you can't blame that on Capitalism.

How can you say I failed to mention location? I used the word "location" multiple times, but this post is not about location. That's my whole point. It's about the ridiculous prices of housing and construction costs in the U.S. no matter the location. Land costs? It's a frickin' 5,200 sq. ft. lot in NC! I would bet the materials used to build that house in Ecuador would cost more than the $275k asking price in the U.S. without even bringing location into the equation.

Do you truly believe the part I bolded in your quote exists today in America?

Capitalism, in its most basic form, is all about supply and demand.

I respectfully submit:

There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of land.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of fossil fuel.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of electric energy.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of lumber.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of bricks, concrete and cement.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of steel.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of beef.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of chicken.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of eggs.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of grain.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of milk.
There is not, or doesn't need to be, a REAL shortage of medicine.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

To the extent that these and other necessities are in short supply, it is not because of capitalism. It's fake. It is because the azzholes running the world are making it so. It's for us to figure out who they are, what they are doing and how to stop them.

We are being played.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 04/13/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Why can't anyone here focus on construction and materials costs? This isn't a question of crime rates or political unrest.

Americans are taking it up the azz, and folks here are brainwashed into thinking it's all innocently justifiable through their righteous devotion to "capitalism."

When your dollar is worth about 75% of what it was a few years ago, that ain't capitalism. And, when the government seizes another 25% or more of your income while running multi-trillion dollar annual deficits, that ain't capitalism. And, if you believe the official inflation data, I have a home to sell to you in Ecuador. If official inflation numbers were calculated the same way they were in 1980, last year's 7%-8% CPI rate would've been closer to 20%. How convenient that the government changed its official methodology used to calculate inflation by messing with things such as substitution and hedonic adjustments, and these changes just coincidentally make inflation numbers lower.

If you think the news is fake, wait until you find out what "they" have you believing about the economy.

I'm all for capitalism as much as anyone here, but what we have got now in this country ain't capitalism. Folks need to wake up.

Dumbass jetboi should read posts like this, but he's too self absorbed while licking FJB's ass crack.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can you have guns in Ecuador?

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The beaches and beach goers are spectacular but you better drink outta a bottle. I got so sick there once I had to be flown to Gorgas Army Hospital in Panama in an OA-37, was the Ceviche I think.

At the base in Manta, the toilets were bolted to concrete with no fuggin plumbing and the slaves scooped the chit out with a cup.

Goodtimes !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You say just concentrate on materials and labor

OK, the lot the crap house in NC sits on, sells for $200k

Materials and labor and permits and enhancements to infrastructure etc... equate to $138K

Ecuador lot = $20k

Materials and labor = $254900. Permits = $100 or something trivial like that.

So, despite all your bitching and moaning about how we're not looking at materials and labor, and are focusing on location, location, location - well, it all boils down to just that: location.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I wanted to retire in the third world, I'd just go back to West Virginia, where I still have a lot of relatives living there.

an Indian Reservation in South Dakota would be pretty close also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

But, it's not just that lot in small-town western NC selling for $200k. It's almost everywhere in the country, and there is no REAL scarcity of land or construction materials that would be driving those costs in a REAL capitalist society. It's a fake, perverted economy that has been orchestrated and foisted onto the world.

I find it hard to believe that folks are OK with the fact that a 971 sq. ft. poorly built shed-house sitting on a 5,200 sq. ft. lot costs more than a third of a million dollars, and everyone is fine with it so long as they're convinced that it's just how capitalism works. Why can't you build a house that is similar to the home in Ecuador for your same money here, with maybe some additional labor costs? It's not, or it shouldn't be, the cost of materials. I doubt lumber and concrete and copper and polished granite and glass and tools are in any shorter supply in the U.S. than they are in a near-third world country. There is much more available land here, too.

Never mind that a significant percentage of single-family homes are being purchased by Wall Street investors so that these homes can then be rented to people who can't afford to buy them because they are competing with Wall Street investors from who knows where or what countries and probably using interest-free money they receive from the corrupt federal government through phony housing tax credits while the private individual is expected to pay in full plus an 8% usury fee, um, I mean mortgage.

I must say, up until I made this post, I would've felt like a total dumbazz for paying 1/3 million dollars to purchase a 971 sq. ft. shed-house in a no-name town sitting on top of a 5,200 sq. ft. lot without even a basement. I can't wait until a Booger King value meal costs me $50, then I'll know for sure that the 'Fire's version of capitalism is working.

But, I'm so glad I made my original post. I now realize what an idiot I am for questioning the "official" narrative about the cost of living in the U.S. and the fact that soon nobody will be able to afford a home. [bleep] our children. Let those poor, greedy little bastards figure it out. Let them eat cake....

Soon, no one will be able to afford even a modest home. Soon after, nobody will be able to afford a privately owned vehicle or the fuel to operate it. Then, no one will be able to afford clean, healthy food such as beef, chicken, fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs and milk, but I hear ground cricket flour tastes like chicken. Certainly electricity on-demand will be reserved only for the wealthy. And, this totalitarianism will all be accomplished under the guise of capitalism, so it'll be fine, and we can rest easy. Of course, our "capitalist" masters won't be giving up any of these things.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 04/13/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well yeah, to an extent we are all being played. The market sets a value that is really not based on anything other than what someone is willing to pay at the time.
Here in Arkansas there are areas where you can buy at $75/sqft and other areas you can't find a decent house below $175/sqft. Same land, same house, just different area. Demand today doesn't equal demand tomorrow. Prices might be good or bad, but who knows.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What do the womerns look like down therra?

Like them like jawa people on star wars

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Who woulda thunkit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

But, it's not just that lot in small-town western NC selling for $200k. It's almost everywhere in the country, and there is no REAL scarcity of land or construction materials that would be driving those costs in a REAL capitalist society. It's a fake, perverted economy that has been orchestrated and foisted onto the world.

I find it hard to believe that folks are OK with the fact that a 971 sq. ft. poorly built shed-house sitting on a 5,200 sq. ft. lot costs more than a third of a million dollars, and everyone is fine with it so long as they're convinced that it's just how capitalism works. Why can't you build a house that is similar to the home in Ecuador for your same money here, with maybe some additional labor costs? It's not, or it shouldn't be, the cost of materials. I doubt lumber and concrete and copper and polished granite and glass and tools are in any shorter supply in the U.S. than they are in a near-third world country. There is much more available land here, too.

Are you aware of land that is not owned privately and is available for construction of a private residence?

No?

That right there - that is scarcity. The supply is finite.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Since Hilljee is on speed and I have him on ignore while he's a member of the Dumbassed Junkyard Dawg Crew I'll have to guess he told us our beloved fake nues MSM wouldn't cover the truth up.

If he didn't say it then he should have as that's who he believes.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/14/24.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Hilljee sure doesn't believe Trump or these other two Trump retruths on Truth Social

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right, Ec-Q-dor, had not considered that. Thanks eyeball.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Give it up Hilljee, yiu don't know where yiu came from and yiu don't know where you're going.

Those who know the Truth realize that and I'm not interested in what those who don't know the Truth have to say.

I couldn't care less, which is exactly why you of the Dumbassed Crew are on IGNORE.

Do yourself a favor and put me on ignore. You know I'm wrong so why do you care. I don't care to see what yiu have to say. smile

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Supply and demand. That house in NC will be under contract next week. The one in Ecuador will be available whoever you decide you want it. Bob the builder can afford to pay more for the materials than Juan. Lowe’s knows this and charges accordingly.

So why doesn’t Bob the builder simply go buy his building materials in Ecuador? Import duties and shipping costs make it not a worthwhile endeavor.

Last edited by gregintenn; 04/14/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the cost of government regulations, OSHA compliance, minimum wage, impact fees, permit fees, DEI employees............there are myriad things that drive costs in America that may not be at play in a third world country. A lot of government regulations also drive the cost of the materials.

Sam......

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,928
Posts18,479,870
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.