Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JD45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We all know that most chambers are cut for 5.56mm NATO. I've yet to load my first .223 round. I do load for everything else and know all about partial sizing and setting back the case shoulder. But this is for an AR-15, so I can't check it by feel.

Do you guys just full length size in .223 dies and bump the shoulder back every time? I wonder because if the NATO shoulder is slightly longer, brass will get worked quite a bit.

Last edited by JD45; 04/14/24.
GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Chamber is the same it’s the leade that is cut deeper if I understand correctly.

I use a Hornady case comparator and set the shoulder back 2-3 thousandths, just so it chambers easily.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012743827/?pid=479704

Last edited by TWR; 04/14/24.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JD45
We all know that most chambers are cut for 5.56mm NATO. I've yet to load my first .223 round. I do load for everything else and know all about partial sizing and setting back the case shoulder. But this is for an AR-15, so I can't check it by feel.

Do you guys just full length size in .223 dies and bump the shoulder back every time? I wonder because if the NATO shoulder is slightly longer, brass will get worked quite a bit.

You'll quickly learn there's no such thing as loading for a specific AR. You're loading for all 5...10....maybe 20 ARs you'll end up with. So, yea, resize back to spec for AR's.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/14/24.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

You'll quickly learn there's no such thing as loading for a specific AR. You're loading for all 5...10....maybe 20 AR you'll end up with. So, yea, resize back to spec for AR's.

Lol. 😂

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just save yourself the trouble, and fl size them. And yes, you'll end up with more than just one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

JD45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tips. I have 2 at the moment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a cartridge gauge, Lyman in this case. Checks for proper sizing and case length. If it fits in the gauge, it fits my guns, so far at least. A pocket machinist’s rule easily helps check that the case isn’t sticking out over the steps at either end; just slide the edge over. If a case is sized too much, the corner of the rule will catch on the edge of the minimum step.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

You'll quickly learn there's no such thing as loading for a specific AR. You're loading for all 5...10....maybe 20 AR you'll end up with. So, yea, resize back to spec for AR's.

Lol. 😂

+1 😝 I just started down that rabbit hole in November, and already have two, and another upper enroute…

What fresh Hell is this?
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cartridge dimensions are exactly the same.

Full-length resize, but try not to move the shoulder more than a couple mils. The less you move the shoulder, the less work hardening, the more reload cycles before cracking. I don't anneal.
I reload for 2 ARs, one carbine-length and the other rifle-length gas systems.

I know that the first time I FL-resize range pickup brass I can be moving a lot of metal around. But on subsequent load cycles as little as possible.

I use a Brass Goat.

Last edited by dla; 04/15/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I set the redding dies up just like the redding directions say and resize the brass, trim to length, load the bullet to just shy of magpul magazine length.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I measured all my fired cases and was surprised at the difference between guns. Had a LaRue that was loose as a goose on headspace and a Krieger that was pretty tight.

Wound up selling both of those and keeping ones that fell in line with the rest of them. Keeping AR brass separated is a pain I got tired of dealing with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Chamber is the same it’s the leade that is cut deeper if I understand correctly.

I use a Hornady case comparator and set the shoulder back 2-3 thousandths, just so it chambers easily.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012743827/?pid=479704
Spend the money for a set of calipers and the Hornady comparators. The brass I resize for the AR's and NATO chambers won't fit in a standard .223. They are 2 different animals. Keeping the brass separate is a pain in the rear but I have the time so I do it. Or you can do like TRW did as sell the ones that don't fit your needs.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I measured all my fired cases and was surprised at the difference between guns. Had a LaRue that was loose as a goose on headspace and a Krieger that was pretty tight.

Wound up selling both of those and keeping ones that fell in line with the rest of them. Keeping AR brass separated is a pain I got tired of dealing with.
Krieger is generally known for pretty tight. As is WOA generally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,465
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.